Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly, to sell or to stay

Comments

• Options
    who closed my discussion
  • Options
    and yer i didn't have any lunch and ive had less sleep
  • Options
    edited August 2013

who closed my discussion

Swearing & ranting won't get you very far. Your more thoughtful approach was better.
  • Options
    yer ur right i shouldn't swear and that stuff
  • Options
    Especially 'that stuff'
  • Options
    im just tired, i have to start waking up earlier
  • Options
    we shudnt sell solly though
  • Options

is it me or is jiminez and whoever else owns the fuckin club being massive dicks and also very stupid. when you invest in something, you dont just leave it for dead after 2 years, jiminez probably thinks he will get a ton of money from us, kevin cash aswell. personally i want jiminez out, michael slater out, kevin cash out, i want a board that supports chris powell. i am realistic, i know that the squad needed pruning, but i want us to know what exactly is goin on. i think we need to get the supporters trust to take over the club. personally i want jiminez and that lot to f*** off and put us into administration, then we could be bought by the supporters trust for £1. and we need to keep solly, addickupnorth, tell stephens no one wants him here, asides from like 3 great goals and 4 good passes hes done nothing.

The last post of yours I read was some rant against Di Canio - you seem like quite an angry young man !
  • Options

No offence taken DiscoCAFC. Like I said it was a conversation I wasn't personally privy to. What is true is that Stephens's best mate was at Barnsley to pick him up after the game to take him back to Bolton. Heard with my own ears that Dale is desperately homesick and goes back every chance he gets.

If that's the case, it's daft that he is still with us
    Someone has to come in for him first.
  • Options
    se9 addick, im not usually angry, ive just been really annoyed at lots of things recently
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    im gonna try and not be angry now
  • Options
    Er, young jackmaster, I'm sorry but I don't actually know Dale Stephens so unfortunately can't personally tell him anything. Though if you promise not to beat me up I'll endeavour to get a message to him ;o)
  • Options

im just tired, i have to start waking up earlier

Not sure that will help mate
  • Options
    I don't understand players being unsettled and having 'uncertain futures' because their contract is due to expire. Especially players like Solly. If he doesn't get a contract at Charlton he will have his pick of teams to go to, probably at a higher level and probably on more money. He may like it at Charlton but I can't see him thinking his whole world is going to collapse if he doesn't get a contract.
  • Options
    People are very different in attitude and temperament.

Any thread from Charlton Life will tell you that.

I have no knowledge or inside track but just wonder whether Solly's experiences as a youngster, when he suffered a longterm injury and wondered whether he would be released, might influence him to want the security of a longer contract.

Other, less injury conscious, players will of course see the lack of a long term contract as an opportunity to negotiate a better gig at another club.

Like I say it is all a matter of attitude and temperament.

• Options

I don't understand players being unsettled and having 'uncertain futures' because their contract is due to expire. Especially players like Solly. If he doesn't get a contract at Charlton he will have his pick of teams to go to, probably at a higher level and probably on more money. He may like it at Charlton but I can't see him thinking his whole world is going to collapse if he doesn't get a contract.

What if he gets his leg broken ? Would you be sticking your leg in for a 50:50 ? Times that across the entire squad and you're going to get a very bad outcome. Have you ever worked at a place where a number of people are at risk of redundancy ? Some will get laid off and go on to better things, many wont. Either way it's a very negative environment to work in.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

What if he gets his leg broken ? Would you be sticking your leg in for a 50:50 ? Times that across the entire squad and you're going to get a very bad outcome. Have you ever worked at a place where a number of people are at risk of redundancy ? Some will get laid off and go on to better things, many wont. Either way it's a very negative environment to work in.
    You can't compare professional footballers out of contract to your average bloke facing redundancy. Fair point about getting injured though I didn't consider that.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

se9addick said:

You can't compare professional footballers out of contract to your average bloke facing redundancy. Fair point about getting injured though I didn't consider that.
    No I agree someone like Solly isn't in the same as a normal bloke, provided he's not injured he'll get a good contract and be set for life. Likewise Yann and Johnnie at the other end of their careers will have earned good money. But what about lots of our other players who aren't in either of those positions who have seen the massive number of players left without contracts this summer as clubs tighten their belts outside the Prem. They aren't anywhere near set for life and face battling for a contract probably on reduced terms if they get anything at all.
  • Options
    the club are probably loath to sign a cheque to pay the milkman let alone contracts going well into the future
  • Options

the club are probably loath to sign a cheque to pay the milkman let alone contracts going well into the future

But once the milks bought it reduces in value; sign the contract and you quadruple the assets value.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have to put this somewhat obliquely, but one of the problems with the contract situation is that it leaves the players in the relative positions they were in when they signed their deals, no matter how they may have progressed in the meantime.
  • Options
    Storm League One, strong showing first season back in the Championship, bollocks to any kind of reward. Nice.
  • Options
    it has got to have some effect on the players. I have heard that both Yann and Solly were sounded out about new contracts a while back and both said they would be happy to sign up but the offers never come.

• Options

it has got to have some effect on the players. I have heard that both Yann and Solly were sounded out about new contracts a while back and both said they would be happy to sign up but the offers never come.

If that's true then that's worse than not even raising the subject in the first place.
  • Options
    having seen Solly get the complete run around by the Barnsley left winger I doubt anyone would want to buy him, but then he didn't have much help
  • Options

hahaha
  • Options
    I think we probably haven't had any offers, even derisory ones.
  • Options
    as his contract runs down so does the price we would like for him
  • Options
    He can walk end of season.
  • Options
    Not in the squad today and apparently out with a knee injury. I saw him and when he was asked if he'd picked the injury up in training he looked very sheepish.

I don't think he wants to leave but I don't expect him to be a Charlton player by Tuesday. It wouldn't surprise me if TJ is trying to flog him. That will leave us with Lawrie Wilson as the only recognised right back at the club and Charlton without our best player.

I hope I'm wrong.