Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly, to sell or to stay

Comments

• Options

Certainly Morrison was advancing down the right hand side a lot for a CB, much more than Dervite the left sided CB, so it was 3-5-2, but with hints of 4-4-2!

As for Solly, I want him to stay ideally, but not if his contract runs down to nothing (though as he's under 24 we would get something for him).

not if we havent offered him a contract by a certain date.

• Options
    I’m trying to think who might buy him. West Ham seem to be prioritising a striker and have said they have to sell to buy so doubt it would be them. But if he goes, the 3-5-2 will be the way for us to go. As for cover for Wilson – Harriot seems to have a good engine – could he adapt his game?
  • Options

Bubble said:

@RichCawleySLP: Had heard whispers of Fulham being interested in Chris Solly over the weekend but CP says there has been no bids or enquiries. #cafc

Fulham signed Sascha Riether on a permanent deal this window. The right back that was brilliant for them last season. Must rule Solly out.

there is interest from Fulham as I told you all a week ago. Need back up for Reither.

• Options
    Parker,Bent and Solly !

Charlton wet dream!
  • Options

Nicholas said:

Morrison right back no thank you

thats where he played saturday basically

He played Right hand side of a central 3. He played right back against Stevenage away a few seasons ago.

• Options
    meldrew66 said:

Wiggins!

left wing back
  • Options
    Pretty sure Morro has played right back at home and made a decent job of it, prefer Solly tho
  • Options
    razil said:

Pretty sure Morro has played right back at home and made a decent job of it, prefer Solly tho

I give up.
  • Options
    Who can forget Morrison's wonderful performance as a right back at Stevenage.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Nicholas said:

He played Right hand side of a central 3. He played right back against Stevenage away a few seasons ago.

Morrison playing right back at Stevenage was a tactical disaster. He was run ragged.

CAFC Dave 123 - Morrison was Right Centre Back in a zonal three man central defence. Of course Morrison took the ball forward into space on the right when the opportunity was there. Surely that's what you want? The alternative is hitting long balls up to the front two or playing a negative pass sideways or backwards. Leicester closed down on Dervite, who is clearly the better footballer of the Back Three. It's a standard tactic to shut down the strongest centre back and allow the weakest Centre Back to have the ball, forcing him to play forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dervite is a good footballer, underrated by many at Charlton as he doesn't really stand out too often. Would still say Morrison is the best 'footballing' center back we have though. Very decent along the floor and assured in his passing.
  • Options
    Was talking to a Wet Spammer last night about Solly. He reckons they still want him.
  • Options
    Don't shoot me if this has already been commented on but Reams is claiming Solly has signed a new long-term contract.

As to the thread question, without doubt, Solly must stay. Our best, most consistent, player and part of what the club is about.
  • Options

Who can forget Morrison's wonderful performance as a right back at Stevenage.

I only wish I could stop the nightmares!

This season Leicester play a weird 5 man midfield with nobody wide left which left Wilson in no-man's land and Morro acres of space going forward from a traditional sort of right back position. Even when city were supposedly trying to get back level towards the end they had nothing wide Charlton barely needed fullbacks at all. Which should distract noone from the fact that Morro at fullback in a back 4 remains a horrifying proposition only for when we are down to the last fit 11 bodies.

• Options
    A friend just messaged me saying Palace have offered 1.5 Mil for Solly. I am really hoping he is winding me up
  • Options
    They just signed Hunt so that won't be true.
  • Options

They just signed Hunt so that won't be true.

i asked the source and he said talk sport website but i cant see it
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Nicholas said:

Nicholas said:

Morrison playing right back at Stevenage was a tactical disaster. He was run ragged.

CAFC Dave 123 - Morrison was Right Centre Back in a zonal three man central defence. Of course Morrison took the ball forward into space on the right when the opportunity was there. Surely that's what you want? The alternative is hitting long balls up to the front two or playing a negative pass sideways or backwards. Leicester closed down on Dervite, who is clearly the better footballer of the Back Three. It's a standard tactic to shut down the strongest centre back and allow the weakest Centre Back to have the ball, forcing him to play forward.
    ?

i have only comented on solly not comanding a development fee if he isnt offered a contract by a certain date

• Options
    West Ham are interested I've heard?
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Nicholas said:

See above from Tutt-Tutt

I like this insight...you get a better understanding of these games which are usually settled by just one goal and I've taken to watching our rivals on Sky - they really are not that good! It was only with the rumours of the Villa bid for Stephens (and associated comments) that I really started watching him play, i.e., not just on the ball... and he is a supurb player on his day ... and now with Cousins as an understudy.

With the club losing £6M a year one can see why it might be tempting to sell top players but unless they go for top dollar it makes no real difference... surely we should keep the best, add some loan players and push up the table...

As the whole club might be up for sale it has to be worth more the closer it is to the top six?

So keep Solly and build the club has to be the best way to get the books straight

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw his hairdresser sister today whilst having my barnet tidied up.

She was wearing a T shirt saying " Don't even ask !"
  • Options
    She obviously knows you well Fanny!! ;-)
  • Options

I love it Fanny, you should have had one with 'he's off isn't he? '

• Options
    TelMc32 said:

She obviously knows you well Fanny!! ;-)

Indeed.

And I'd taken my tape recorder along too !

• Options

hahaha
  • Options
    Hoping he stays. Take phones off the hook.
  • Options
    razil said:

Played Morrison as right back Stevenage away two years ago, not a success.
  • Options
    Didn't he often play right back for Leicester's promotion season from League 1?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Didn't he often play right back for Leicester's promotion season from League 1?

Probably why they don't rate him!! ;-)
  • Options
    Chris Powell says there have been no bids for Solly.Is it just us Charlton fans who think he is as good as we think he is cos these rumours are always around but he never gets sold(thank god)