Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells football is terrible

Comments

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Like it or not, I think the writing is on the wall for CP.

Agreed. I just wish Roland would be decisive one way or another. The general uncertainty is killing us at the moment and even more so the players and management.

• Options

I'm a big supporter of Powell and I believe he is the right man to take this club forward BUT, sometimes, he really doesn't help himself. We are in big,big trouble now and they have all,to a man,got to stand up and be counted.

We were in a bit of trouble before tonight, and we're in little bit more trouble now. We're third from bottom and can get out of the bottom three with our games in hand. We have best part of half the season left to sort it out. Big, big trouble would be cut adrift at the bottom, or having all our best players injured or suspended after the transfer window has closed.

It's concerning that teams around us have been able to do more in the transfer window so far and are finding a bit of form when we are still floundering, but there is a long way to go, there are lots of noises coming out of the club that we are trying to get players in. We have to improve, but we are still in with a great chance of getting out of this mess and it's not at all implausible that we could still finish relatively comfortably out of trouble and we might get to send Millwall down as part of the bargain - keep your chin up and LLL&BH.

• Options
    1 shot on target in two games.......I think a league two team could muster a better ratio than that in the championship, but its ok Powell knows his stuff.
  • Options
    Bad formation changes today led to disarray from the start. The backbone of the team should have been maintained and the other players slotted in around them. The backbone imo should have been Alnwick, Wood, Morro, Stephens, Cousins, Yann and Church.

That's down to CP and I'm surprised he didn't see that.

I think what was key here was not keeping Stevo and Cousins together in the middle. I also think more flair was needed in the other positions.
  • Options

I'm a big supporter of Powell and I believe he is the right man to take this club forward BUT, sometimes, he really doesn't help himself. We are in big,big trouble now and they have all,to a man,got to stand up and be counted.

We were in a bit of trouble before tonight, and we're in little bit more trouble now. We're third from bottom and can get out of the bottom three with our games in hand. We have best part of half the season left to sort it out. Big, big trouble would be cut adrift at the bottom, or having all our best players injured or suspended after the transfer window has closed.

It's concerning that teams around us have been able to do more in the transfer window so far and are finding a bit of form when we are still floundering, but there is a long way to go, there are lots of noises coming out of the club that we are trying to get players in. We have to improve, but we are still in with a great chance of getting out of this mess and it's not at all implausible that we could still finish relatively comfortably out of trouble and we might get to send Millwall down as part of the bargain - keep your chin up and LLL&BH.

I'll have whatever you're drinking.

• Options
    At least derby is now 2-2
  • Options
    I might be wrong but the only game I can remember Green being very effective in from the start was against Blackburn at home last season. Sometimes he looks good coming off the bench for twenty minutes or so when we're chasing the game. This leads to calls for him to start which invariably leads to another anonymous display.

Powell doesn't seem to trust him from the start, and I would be surprised if he would start trusting him in an important away game.
  • Options
    _nam11 said:

At least derby is now 2-2

Not anymore
  • Options
    Woohoo! Get in derby!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    yeah that winner at Huddersfield was soooo hoofball, sheesh we can't play it around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tonight was a poor result and the line up was very strange. However how can we sack him now, there's a few days left of the transfer window. Why on earth would a player sign for us when they don't even now who the manger will be? I don't see that RD has a choice tbh he HAS to back him.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm not drinking anything SHG, anyone who's been following football for more than 5 minutes should know that a team's fortune can change very quickly.

Look at Blackpool - off like a train, now haven't won since October and getting humped again tonight.

We had a crappy start to last season, then suddenly it all clicked around March and we went on a brilliant run.

There are loads of examples, season after season. Yet every year, 95% of football fans can't see beyond the last 2 or 3 results.

We have a manager who loves the club and we know won't throw in the towel, even if you don't like his tactics, you can't question CP's integrity.

We have players that have shown, even this season, that after every setback they will pick themselves up and go again and give it what they've got. They come up short sometimes, sometimes the manager asks them to fill roles they are not used to or unsuited to, but they get on with it and try their best. Even Danny Green, who cold understandably be a bit disillusioned by now, seems to always give it a go when involved.

We have new owners who have nothing to gain by letting the club slowly die like the old ones were or at least were unable to prevent.

This is not the team of sulky, over paid journeymen that were assembled by a manager who thought he was too good for us and eventually led into league 1 by a replacement manager tainted by the old regime.

This is a bunch of honest pros led by a good man. The transfer window is still open. There are 61 points to play for. We only dipped into the bottom three this week. Plenty of reason to believe we can and will stay up.

• Options
    Moving Cousins/Stephens out of the centre is a lot worse than starting Green, and I think Green is poor.

You just don't split up that CM partnership. It's crucial.

Seems CP is a manager learning, but not learning from his mistakes. He played Stephens RM against Sheff Wed and it didn't work, we were shite. So why has he not opted for a natural RM there tonight??!!
  • Options

Instead of blaming Powell for everything, why can't we just admit we have a relegation squad at the moment unless there is serious investment.

We could have Wenger or Mourinho, it wouldn't make this result turn into a win. This team is poor.

So neither of those people would get better results ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Instead of blaming Powell for everything, why can't we just admit we have a relegation squad at the moment unless there is serious investment.

We could have Wenger or Mourinho, it wouldn't make this result turn into a win. This team is poor.

So neither of those people would get better results ?
    Wenger's pass-and-move style on our pitch with our squad would've been fun.
  • Options
    BBC stats: Donny had 67 per cent of the possession; we had not a single shot on target. And some people think there's nothing wrong with the coaching at Sparrows Lane!
  • Options
    We were a man shot for 2/3 of the game Viewfinder, we were bound to have less possession. We were obviously shite tonight but look at the table, the result doesn't actually significantly alter our chances of survival other than reduce the amount of games we have in which to amass enough points.
  • Options

We were a man shot for 2/3 of the game Viewfinder, we were bound to have less possession. We were obviously shite tonight but look at the table, the result doesn't actually significantly alter our chances of survival other than reduce the amount of games we have in which to amass enough points.

Well that's one way to look at it
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    How quickly people forget.
    1) Took a team on a serious downward spiral and with very little money turned them into League 1 champions.
    2) Took that team, again with very little money, and managed to achieve 9th place, only 3 points off the playoffs.
    3) Were struggling this year with even less money spent and the squad whittled down to the bare bones but were still in contention and have a 5th round cup game to enjoy.
    4) The club is going through an upheaval. Minimal investment has left few players on decent contracts. It's tough but Chris will get us through it.

• Options
    tricky said:

I might be wrong but the only game I can remember Green being very effective in from the start was against Blackburn at home last season. Sometimes he looks good coming off the bench for twenty minutes or so when we're chasing the game. This leads to calls for him to start which invariably leads to another anonymous display.

Powell doesn't seem to trust him from the start, and I would be surprised if he would start trusting him in an important away game.

What you mean as trustworthy as Wilson and wigging a being sent off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Of course you're correct about the maths, Exiled - but not to have a single shot on target in 90 minutes (and not for the first time) really is inexcusable in professional football at any level. Why isn't this very basic failing addressed on the training pitch?

• Options

Tonight was a poor result and the line up was very strange. However how can we sack him now, there's a few days left of the transfer window. Why on earth would a player sign for us when they don't even now who the manger will be? I don't see that RD has a choice tbh he HAS to back him.

I think this post is the most realistic I've seen tonight.

• Options

How quickly people forget.
    1) Took a team on a serious downward spiral and with very little money turned them into League 1 champions.
    2) Took that team, again with very little money, and managed to achieve 9th place, only 3 points off the playoffs.
    3) Were struggling this year with even less money spent and the squad whittled down to the bare bones but were still in contention and have a 5th round cup game to enjoy.
    4) The club is going through an upheaval. Minimal investment has left few players on decent contracts. It's tough but Chris will get us through it.

Not to mention the dire contract situation.
  • Options
    Shocking football again - ground hog day
  • Options
    Shocking overreaction again - ground hog day
  • Options
    Players didn't turn up, it happens. Not everything needs to be a tactical fault.
  • Options

Players didn't turn up, it happens. Not everything needs to be a tactical fault.

It does, otherwise some people wouldn't have a clue what to say.
  • Options
    I feel that given the occasion and the fact that me and 4 friends have spent £50-60 on today let alone what the other 5,400 fans have given, that the team did not turn up. I am annoyed to say the least. With 5k+ fans and a possible trip to Wembley against a LEAGUE 1 SIDE the players looked like they were playing in a pre season friendly. For the first time this season I have to concede.... NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
  • Options
    bet reams is absolutely beaming, telling everyone around him not to worry and that tony jiminez is negotiating powell's severance package as we speak. Some of our "supporters" i'm sure are delighted we lost today.
  • Options
    Totally clueless tactically.

If I made these poor management decisions at work I would expect to face the consequences and so should powell