Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells football is terrible

edited September 2013 in General Charlton
I am quite shocked in the way Powell has the team playing hoof ball since he became manager when he was such a class footballer ball on the ground player himself, very odd.
Just goes to show good footballers dont make good managers.

Comments

• Options
    Making do with the midfield he's got. We don't really have a ball player central midfielder that's any good.

Don't understand his lack of wingers though, they're our best players without Yann and Solly.
  • Options
    He's hardly had a bomb to spend in the summer , compared to Lomas.
  • Options
    Cousins should have started along with stewart harriott and sordell, very poor team management
  • Options
    Powell looked disgusted on the side line after some of the long balls. I highly doubt it's him, more the team not following instructions!
  • Options
    He's hardly going to have told the players to hoof long balls up to Stewart and Harriott is he? Clearly it was a lack of intelligence on the players' part. You can only coach before the game, after that it's up to the players to make the right decisions. Sometimes they don't, and that's why they play in the second division. Really looking forward to the next 500 threads like this that will pop up today.
  • Options
    Can't wait to get home and relive it all on sky+.

Total and utter dross from start to finish.

Were the tactics to play tip tap in our own half because there was zero movement infront of the ball, and after 4-5 passes give it away?
  • Options
    This side reminds me of the team that got relegated to league one.
    Devoid of ideas , very little quality ( the only quality was stuck on the bench ) and we are so negative .
    It's depressing.
  • Options
    I don't care if he hasn't got the players at his disposal. Anyone can get a team of people playing good, pass and move football. For a couple of years now the football we've played has been nothing more than boring and workman like performance's
  • Options
    Why not start with Harriott , Stewart and Sordell.

Between church and piggott, not one header was won so why were we hoofing the ball or even crossing it for that matter. Disgusting performance. Really angry.
  • Options
    How many of Powell's transfer targets do you think he was actually able to sign this summer? He's making do with what he has been able to cobble together.

And at least we know he cares and lives and breathes it. How many other people at charlton can you say that about these days? I wouldn't swap him for anyone for that reason alone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    poor all round, unacceptable in fact. management and players need a long hard look at themselves - owners' strategy may implode if they are not careful. cp has to shoulder some blame, but boils down to having jack to invest in a creative midfielder or 3 and a predator (at this level). I hope we can bounce back, as next run of games could tip us into a very long and difficult season.
  • Options
    I understand Powell hasn't made the signings he wanted but let's not let him hide behind that. He sent the 11 out with a game plan and it was wrong! He has to accept that
  • Options

I don't care if he hasn't got the players at his disposal. Anyone can get a team of people playing good, pass and move football. For a couple of years now the football we've played has been nothing more than boring and workman like performance's

Nail on head. .....100% correct

• Options
    that formation is not good if you don't have pace simple
  • Options
    Get Wiggins out and give Evina a fair shot.

• Options

I am quite shocked in the way Powell has the team playing hoof ball since he became manager when he was such a class footballer ball on the ground player himself, very odd.

This squad is essentially the one which came up from League One. If you were manager, pray tell, how would you get the team promoted with 100+ points, finishing ninth in one year one back in the Championship and then having his budget cut this season.

If you're drawing up a list of people to blame for the current situation I can guarantee you mate Chris Powell is no where near the top (and I bet you have no realistic alternative solution).
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    They were trying to pass it around but with no movement up front and the ball not sticking to either Church or Piggott when it did go forward it became increasingly difficult for the defence and midfield.

It was the laboured passing and lack of options for a forward pass that led to Pritch losing the ball and Millwall scoring. Eventually they gave up trying to pass it forwards because there was never available option.

If we're going to play 532 we need to pass the ball better as we need to give the wing backs time and confidence to push up into the final third. Piggott and Church didn't do their jobs today and midfield didn't have confidence that the ball would stay in Millwall's defensive third long enough for them be able to get up in support without leaving us exposed to an inevitable breakaway.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Anyone can get a team of people playing good, pass and move football.

Oh really sounds so easy now you've put it in written word

Of course we were pony but writing crap like that is as pathetic as our performance was today
  • Options
    Powell has to start having some belief in his players, we had a half decent run at home last season playing 442 and had a certain of confidence.

We set up too many times not to lose games and sacrifice any level of attacking fluidity going forward. Sky were absolutely pulling us to pieces in highlighting a completely inability in the final third

That's 3 games in a row against Millwall that not only have we failed to score but we've failed to game to them. It was pityful
  • Options
    I'm crying
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely no passion or idea clueless, my long lane under 8 team have more desire to win, Powell just stands there silent I would be screaming n going nuts, if your playing with wing backs then sorry but Wilson needs to go and Stewart starting the only player today that tried to take players on and create anything. We got two forwards that can't win a header and every time we go long, put it on the deck play to feet or through the gaps and turn there defence it's not difficult, after that crap I paid to watch I'm embarrassed
  • Options

I understand Powell hasn't made the signings he wanted but let's not let him hide behind that. He sent the 11 out with a game plan and it was wrong! He has to accept that

I agree and gthe fact we dont have the best players is okay but what you want is passion in a local derby and sadly the players bar a couple did not show any
  • Options
    Bubble said:

Powell has to start having some belief in his players, we had a half decent run at home last season playing 442 and had a certain of confidence.

We set up too many times not to lose games and sacrifice any level of attacking fluidity going forward. Sky were absolutely pulling us to pieces in highlighting a completely inability in the final third

That's 3 games in a row against Millwall that not only have we failed to score but we've failed to game to them. It was pityful

This. At home you have to play with an intensity and fluidity that lifts the crowd and puts confidence into the players. It was all too slow, too predictable and easy to counter. No pressure was exerted on the Millwall defence at any stage until 93rd minute when Stewart attacked his defender and got a shot away. We had no one willing to run forward at pace with the ball. We need to play 442 at home with an attacking midfielder. Cousins is the only one that fits the bill atm.
  • Options
    I did not understand Powell's tactics at all today. What did Harriot and Cousins do wrong to be dropped? He starts playing Piggot who has not much team experience in this crucial match and it was clearly shown today. We tried to play like Barcelona too much today and always looked for the killer ball which we failed to do because we gave the ball away badly, especially in the 1st half. When Powell did the right thing and bought on Harriot and Stewart, originally Stewart was starting to do well on his cutbacks given he was a right footed player but then Powell swops Harriott and Stewart. What really frustrated today me was the lack of brain in some of these players, what on earth are we doing passing the ball about in the middle with about a min to go?!??? Just hoof it up ffs!

I think this is a start of a very difficult season but I really do put this down to a lack of investment from the board. I think our squad looks bad than our League one promotion season and its really worrying I think like that. Is sacking Powell the right solution? I don't know but every manager we approach will ask how much investment can go into the team so we can buy some players, hard to give a positive answer given when we are skint! When we have most players out of contract by end of the season, staff leaving, court proceeding with the board, rumoured takeovers etc etc, its not wonder we started in this bloody position!

I tell you what, I know we are only in September but if we get relegated I will never be any more angrier than all my life being a Charlton fan and I will mainly put this down to the board.
  • Options
    unable to pass the ball, hoof ball to nobody , derby bottlers
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Why not start with Harriott , Stewart and Sordell.

Between church and piggott, not one header was won so why were we hoofing the ball or even crossing it for that matter. Disgusting performance. Really angry.

Completely agree with the first part. We're at home in a local derby so surely we should give it a really good go from the start? We looked like we had a very slight chance of scoring once the substitutions we're made, compared to absolutely no chance before that.

• Options
    nolly said:

... derby bottlers

As always
  • Options

Provocative opener and it's got me biting...

He's a good manager in that he has built and maintained a squad which finished 9th last season. Remember he's playing for a renewal just as much as the players.

If I get brave I might watch it again on Sky but we all know Sordell, Stewart and Harriott made the whole team look more convincing once they came on. Why didn't they start? Go for broke because Millwall didn't look too good did they? But if that goes wrong it's a very hard place to come back from

It's going to be a bumpy season and in the long run it will cost the owners a lot more if all the wheels fall off.
  • Options
    For those of you who think its easy to get a bunch of Footballers playing well together... well I say to you - Go on go and give it ago and we could all do with a laugh at the moment