Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells football is terrible

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2013
    DiscoCAFC said:

I did not understand Powell's tactics at all today. What did Harriot and Cousins do wrong to be dropped? He starts playing Piggot who has not much team experience in this crucial match and it was clearly shown today. We tried to play like Barcelona too much today and always looked for the killer ball which we failed to do because we gave the ball away badly, especially in the 1st half. When Powell did the right thing and bought on Harriot and Stewart, originally Stewart was starting to do well on his cutbacks given he was a right footed player but then Powell swops Harriott and Stewart. What really frustrated today me was the lack of brain in some of these players, what on earth are we doing passing the ball about in the middle with about a min to go?!??? Just hoof it up ffs!

I think this is a start of a very difficult season but I really do put this down to a lack of investment from the board. I think our squad looks bad than our League one promotion season and its really worrying I think like that. Is sacking Powell the right solution? I don't know but every manager we approach will ask how much investment can go into the team so we can buy some players, hard to give a positive answer given when we are skint! When we have most players out of contract by end of the season, staff leaving, court proceeding with the board, rumoured takeovers etc etc, its not wonder we started in this bloody position!

I tell you what, I know we are only in September but if we get relegated I will never be any more angrier than all my life being a Charlton fan and I will mainly put this down to the board.

You can't criticise him picking Piggott because he's inexperienced and then complain he didn't pick Cousins.

• Options
    stonemuse said:

nolly said:

... derby bottlers

As always
    We didnt beat Millwall at home last season and went on a great run and finished well above them in the League, if I had to pick between:
    - Losing to them in the league
    - Finishing above them in the league

I'd always take the latter (unless we both got relegated) because for starters you always get more prize money
  • Options

stonemuse said:

nolly said:

... derby bottlers

As always
    We didnt beat Millwall at home last season and went on a great run and finished well above them in the League, if I had to pick between:
    - Losing to them in the league
    - Finishing above them in the league

I'd always take the latter (unless we both got relegated) because for starters you always get more prize money
    I think you meant to give the two options of:

Beating them in the league
    or
    finishing above them in the league.
  • Options
    Yep exactly what I meant there @dizzee lol!
  • Options
    I like CP a lot, and in know way want to see him sacked but some of you are so blinded by your love for him it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

I did not understand Powell's tactics at all today. What did Harriot and Cousins do wrong to be dropped? He starts playing Piggot who has not much team experience in this crucial match and it was clearly shown today. We tried to play like Barcelona too much today and always looked for the killer ball which we failed to do because we gave the ball away badly, especially in the 1st half. When Powell did the right thing and bought on Harriot and Stewart, originally Stewart was starting to do well on his cutbacks given he was a right footed player but then Powell swops Harriott and Stewart. What really frustrated today me was the lack of brain in some of these players, what on earth are we doing passing the ball about in the middle with about a min to go?!??? Just hoof it up ffs!

I think this is a start of a very difficult season but I really do put this down to a lack of investment from the board. I think our squad looks bad than our League one promotion season and its really worrying I think like that. Is sacking Powell the right solution? I don't know but every manager we approach will ask how much investment can go into the team so we can buy some players, hard to give a positive answer given when we are skint! When we have most players out of contract by end of the season, staff leaving, court proceeding with the board, rumoured takeovers etc etc, its not wonder we started in this bloody position!

I tell you what, I know we are only in September but if we get relegated I will never be any more angrier than all my life being a Charlton fan and I will mainly put this down to the board.

Hmmm........... Must have missed that bit!
  • Options
    Rylo said:

dizzee said:

Why not start with Harriott , Stewart and Sordell.

Between church and piggott, not one header was won so why were we hoofing the ball or even crossing it for that matter. Disgusting performance. Really angry.

Completely agree with the first part. We're at home in a local derby so surely we should give it a really good go from the start? We looked like we had a very slight chance of scoring once the substitutions we're made, compared to absolutely no chance before that.

I thought this lesson might have been learned from Tues evening in Huddersfield.

• Options
    Why do people keep going on about transfers. There's enough quality in that side to dish up better than that today. Poor line up, poor tactics.
  • Options
    There is some hoofing but I don't think that's the main problem, it's a general lack of quality. The defenders lack concentration, the midfielders are not strong enough and the forwards are not good enough. The 5-3-2 formation was fine against Leicester and Watford but if you go a goal down playing that system its difficult to get back in the game. In addition, it gives an impression to the opposition 'We're scared of you'. When getting in good positions the crosses from the wingers and wing-backs have been really poor. CSP has got a lot to learn in the transfer market and shouldn't bring in players who are not better than the ones already at the Club, but how much influence does he have with the transfers or does the Chief Exec pull the strings? Either the board needs to show more ambition or CSP has to turn a bunch of below average losers into a satisfactory outfit. Other Charlton managers have produced a winning side with a tight budget, most notably Lennie Lawrence.
  • Options
    To have a post entitled "Powell's football is terrible" also makes me wonder if people remember Dowie / Reed and Pardews football (dear god)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yep exactly what I meant there @dizzee lol!

Haha because I definitely wouldn't chose aw the first one
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I like CP a lot, and in know way want to see him sacked but some of you are so blinded by your love for him it's ridiculous.

This. I am also not saying he should be sacked by any means, but some on here would be first in line to wipe the guys arse.
  • Options
    Powell failed again today. Out thought by lomas and didn't have a clue
  • Options

charlton_carl Member
    5:26PM
    Powell failed again today. Out thought by lomas and didn't have a clue

Spot on.
  • Options
    The players were out-battled, Powell wasn't out thought
  • Options
    Please don't criticize Powell his a legend and can't do no wrong. His tactics are great and his timing of subs is perfect. Sort yourselfs out
  • Options
    Nobody's said that Nic. Thought subs etc were spot on today, just made f all difference.

Crisp decision making from all.
  • Options
    At least some are coming around to realise that Powell might not be up to the job with his free flowing football! Cousins on the bench but Pigott gets his first start LOL.
  • Options
    Would you've preferred Sordell to start?
  • Options
    And can someone explain what the feck Dyerbolical does?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes WSS to be honest yes i would of prefered Sordell to start, someone who has something to prove against them pikey c@#ts.
  • Options
    Let's be honest here. Every aspect of this match or perhaps mismatch was a disaster for every part of the club. That includes in this case SCP.
  • Options

Yes WSS to be honest yes i would of prefered Sordell to start, someone who has something to prove against them pikey c@#ts.

Fair enough. If you had run a poll on here of who to start if Yann was out - I bet people would've chosen Joe.

Gotta live hindsight.
  • Options
    No quality , not good enough etc or what ever you want to call it, i expect Charlton to be busting a bollock to win a game especially against Millwall.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited September 2013
    So do I. And I have done for the past 17 years
  • Options
    WSS said:

Nobody's said that Nic. Thought subs etc were spot on today, just made f all difference.

Crisp decision making from all.

Mate come on how many more times have we got to put a lacklustre performence in. How many times do we have to sit back and hope for the best In games. After Tuesday today was the day we had to start Stewart and Harriot from the off and go at them early. Piggott was no way near good enough but yet was allowed to stay on for far too long. We were piss poor first half but he still didn't change it until 10-15 mins in the second half. I know you all think I love criticising Powell I really don't but he leaves us to rot for far too long in games.
  • Options
    Pigott was dreadful. He should not of been starting in a big game like this. Such a must win game for us. Church is starting to show why he only scored 22 goals in 102 games for reading. Reading (Another Championship Side) release him because he ain't good enough. Oh and where does he get handed the number 9 shirt? Charlton...

Starting Pigott was a bad decision by Powell.
  • Options
    I can't believe he didnt start the two wide lads. It's millwall...at home. Go at them ffs. Pull them apart, don't concentrate down the middle with a 3-5-2.

Really pissed off with Powell today and that hurts.
  • Options
    In Powells mind Pigott went on that pitch a man. But I am afraid to say he left a boy
  • Options
    The thing is, is that worked against two of the best sides in the division.

I think CP got a fair bit wrong today but I get his thinking.