Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells football is terrible

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Or maybe the board and the lack of investment let us all down

See the programme, and my previous comment.

FFP - Acceptable loss £4m, Charlton loss £3.8m.

How far do you think £200k would go?

I'm not criticising CP, these are the financial implications of FFP.
  • Options
    Thought jackson done nothing but run failed to gee the team up and offered nothing tbh
  • Options
    Maybe NLA, but those saying he wasn't interested must have been watching a different game.
  • Options
    He was interested just like all the others he wernt good enough

Bar piggott and morrison stephens who were a 5 out of 10 the rest were 4 s
  • Options
    Piggot and Stephens at 5 out of 10 is beyond generous. I genuinely forgot Stephens was on the pitch until 15 mins into the game when he gave the ball away and I mentioned it to the bloke sitting next to me
  • Options
    Go on then enlighten me as to who was better than them
  • Options
    I already said on the other thread I thought it was JJ versus Millwall today. He was the only one who showed any bottle and I am not his biggest fan
  • Options
    Fair enough starting with 3 -5-2 today but Millwall came to harry us and were happy with a draw. No team is better than gifting a goal to a team that doesn't look like scoring than us so would have been wise to change things after 20 -25 minutes. This is what frustrates me most about Powell - He waits - but what is he waiting for? Piggot was clearly having a bad game and was being bullied by their defenders - Is he going to miraculously turn into Messi - no - he had to come off when this fact was clear. The centre halfs were getting in each others way and 3 were not needed- why wait till the second half to rectify? Caution is Powell's greatest weakness - he has to grow the balls/confidence to act quickly if things need changing.
  • Options
    What did he do though he ran around and closed down in thee first half but apart from that what did he do

• Options
    You said it yourself, he ran around and closed down and playing centre mid that was his job. Stephens is the play maker and he is dog shite and christ knows why Pritchard is repeatedly picked, I don't want to even get started on him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the first half he did in the second he did nothing and as skipper he shouldve done more imo

Piggott is getting pelters for what

Showing for the ball hassling players and a few poor first touches

He showed great feet in close control on two occasions

But him and church had no service from anyone

I
    I dont rate or like stephens but i thought he was better than jj and pritch
  • Options

In the first half he did in the second he did nothing and as skipper he shouldve done more imo

Piggott is getting pelters for what

Showing for the ball hassling players and a few poor first touches

He showed great feet in close control on two occasions

But him and church had no service from anyone

I
    I dont rate or like stephens but i thought he was better than jj and pritch

Agree with all that.
  • Options
    NLA, I don't think Piggott is getting pelters on here. Saying he was out of his depth isn't slating the poor kid, but a recognition of his lack of experience. He tried hard, but nothing came off and the Millwall defence were all over him. He should not have been making his home league debut in this game, cos it was far too much pressure all round. Chris Powell got this one wrong.
  • Options
    He was getting loads from people near me ali and i hace read some ansolute tosh on here

If someone could explaim out of depth because he was no where near as shit as some regular first teamers
  • Options
    Out of depth as in "not up to the job that he was supposed to do". That's not to say he was the only one today by any means, or that it applies to his game in general, but today, yes. The problem is unlike most of the team he's not got many other games under his belt to compare it to, so he can't just write it off as "a bad day at the office" as easily. When you come up through the ranks, your home debut should be a game you want to remember with pride, not one you want to forget.

Given our lousy record against Millwall and the way we as fans build the game up, he was always going to be exposed to criticism for anything less than a stellar performance, and I think it would've been better for him just to play 20-25mins at the end. I really hope it hasn't dented his confidence too badly.
  • Options
    I didnt see a lad out of his depth i saw a lad let down by his team mates
  • Options
    Pigott was out of his depth, when he came on against Watford last week he was ineffective, he's not ready to start.

Our football was very poor, Pritchard was poor, but JJ and Stephens as a midfield 2 is a disaster, no energy and pace. All game the CBs either faffed around between themselves or hoofed it, there was no fluidity to our passing...
  • Options

I think it's probably a little of both.

The service to him was poor, which must've hampered his game a lot. But he did make a lot of basic errors too during the game, such as running it out of play, kicking it out for a goal kick instead of to Wiggins etc.

I'm sure he's got a lot of potential, but in a game like Millwall he was too inexperienced. I never felt for a second that Pigott troubled their defense. He was tailor-made for their strengths.
  • Options

I saw Piggott at Watford & again today, and not once has he won a header. I feel sorry for him because he is no-way near a first team player & at best should be loaned out to a League 2 side - but pref stay with the u21 side.

As for the game today - it was the same old same old. No width, no pace, no creativity, no shots. If you are playing 5-3-2 then the "wingbacks" should be more like wingers and be running with the ball, taking on players. Wiggins at least tries to get past his man, but Wilson just passes the ball back again. Should play Harriott & Stewart instead - shouldn't matter too much if they lack a bit of defensive nous as that is the reason why you have 3 centre halves - to mop up any attacks !!!

I'm sorry to say that Powell is running out of time. Its no excuse that he hasn't had any money this summer - as previous posters have remarked he has enough players at his disposal to do better than he has. Harriott is probably our best attacking player but he has recently only been warming the bench. Stewart plays 10 mins on tues & scores, but is than again on the bench. why ??? You don't need to be a rocket scientist to be a football manager - you get 11 men to pas the ball FOWARDS until they are in sight of the goal & then they SHOOT. You don't need to be tippy-tappying the ball in your own half, or launching it 80 yards into no mans land - you find a team mate who it MOVING FORWARDS and you give him the ball AND THEN YOU MOVE , hoping that he will pass it too you AS YOU HAVE RUN PAST HIM INTO SPACE. You may find, that by doing this you have dragged a defender with you, LEAVING SPACE FOR YOUR TEAM MATE WITH THE BALL TO RUN INTO.

I don't need ooh-ahh to give predictions on where we will finish this season. 100% relegation.

• Options

Anyone can get a team of people playing good, pass and move football.

Oh really sounds so easy now you've put it in written word

Of course we were pony but writing crap like that is as pathetic as our performance was today
    spot on, just read this myself and thought the same thing (as oohaah)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2013

stonemuse said:

Or maybe the board and the lack of investment let us all down

See the programme, and my previous comment.

FFP - Acceptable loss £4m, Charlton loss £3.8m.

How far do you think £200k would go?

I'm not criticising CP, these are the financial implications of FFP.
    That £4m is only what you can put in as LOANS. You can put the same in again as equity (new shares). The "acceptable" loss for 2013/14 after adjustments Is actually £8m. And you can also increase revenue or cut costs to make more headroom, as suggested.
  • Options

Fair enough starting with 3 -5-2 today but Millwall came to harry us and were happy with a draw. No team is better than gifting a goal to a team that doesn't look like scoring than us so would have been wise to change things after 20 -25 minutes. This is what frustrates me most about Powell - He waits - but what is he waiting for? Piggot was clearly having a bad game and was being bullied by their defenders - Is he going to miraculously turn into Messi - no - he had to come off when this fact was clear. The centre halfs were getting in each others way and 3 were not needed- why wait till the second half to rectify? Caution is Powell's greatest weakness - he has to grow the balls/confidence to act quickly if things need changing.

Powell too easily slips into his overcautious shell. It must be in his DNA having worked under Curbs for so long. Our season only took off last season following the introduction of Harriot and a more attack minded attitude. I thought he'd learnt the lesson regarding not changing things early enough following the Sheff Weds home game (which probably ultimately cost us a play off place) but he now seems to be making the same old mistakes again. It's a real shame, perhaps in his mind, the pressure to try not to lose overrides everything else.
  • Options
    Just woke from a dream, Gus Poyet manager by end of this week.
  • Options
    In Piggot, I saw a young lad completely bullied by their defenders (not in an illegal way). I suspect he played below his abilities partly because the size of the game affected him and he was getting frustrated but trying too hard!

I don't blame Powell for taking the punt - but I do think he took far too long to realise it wasn't coming off. Leaving Piggot out there did far more damage than taking him off after 25-30 would have done.

I have admiration for Piggot - he manned it out and I'll not write him off. Because he is not ready now, doesn't mean he won't be later. A league 2 loan looks the right option at the moment though. The club have to find a way of getting Obika in to boost the striking options.
  • Options

Powell too easily slips into his overcautious shell. It must be in his DNA having worked under Curbs for so long. Our season only took off last season following the introduction of Harriot and a more attack minded attitude. I thought he'd learnt the lesson regarding not changing things early enough following the Sheff Weds home game (which probably ultimately cost us a play off place) but he now seems to be making the same old mistakes again. It's a real shame, perhaps in his mind, the pressure to try not to lose overrides everything else.
    Yep. And that is what has been frustrating. I thought we'd hit the ground running this season after the way we finished last year but that just hasn't happened. Gone back in our cautious shell again.

• Options

I don't blame Powell for taking the punt - but I do think he took far too long to realise it wasn't coming off. Leaving Piggot out there did far more damage than taking him off after 25-30 would have done.

Taking him off after 25-30 mins would have destroyed him more than leaving him on IMO , it would have been as clear a statement as you like saying "you're pony and out of your depth boy get off the pitch "
  • Options
    I saw woods make only 1 pass all game I saw hamer hit the oppositition or touch line on numerous occasions

I saw church fluff the only real chance we had

I saw wiggins and wilson fail to hit a player with a cross or go past their man effectively

I saw dervite run in mud and head straight upwards instead of away

Are they all out of their depth

Piggot aint yann he is not a battering ram of a forward

He never hid he never stopped trying to make something happen and yes on two occasions his pass or control failed

But no more times than any other shit fuk out there

Jacko and pritch

Woods and dervite

Rhoys and lawrie

Were all looking like league 2 players yesterday and as out of depth as young joe if this is the case
  • Options
    redsek said:

I've got two words to say about that performance:

shite

I take it, counting and spelling are not your greatest qualities?
  • Options

I saw woods make only 1 pass all game I saw hamer hit the oppositition or touch line on numerous occasions

I saw church fluff the only real chance we had

I saw wiggins and wilson fail to hit a player with a cross or go past their man effectively

I saw dervite run in mud and head straight upwards instead of away

Are they all out of their depth

Piggot aint yann he is not a battering ram of a forward

He never hid he never stopped trying to make something happen and yes on two occasions his pass or control failed

But no more times than any other shit fuk out there

Jacko and pritch

Woods and dervite

Rhoys and lawrie

Were all looking like league 2 players yesterday and as out of depth as young joe if this is the case

If you only saw woods make one pass all game then I suggest you were not watching the game. In the first half he had the ball more than any other player and was constantly running down the left playing the ball into wiggins or jackson. In fact i remember when him and devite played keep ball for 5 or 6 passes. If you are going to make statements like you have done, at least make them factually correct.

I cant believe the abuse powell is getting. If we had won 1-0 with a lucky deflection i wonder if the same comments would be being made?
  • Options

In Piggot, I saw a young lad completely bullied by their defenders (not in an illegal way). I suspect he played below his abilities partly because the size of the game affected him and he was getting frustrated but trying too hard!

I have admiration for Piggot - he manned it out and I'll not write him off. Because he is not ready now, doesn't mean he won't be later. A league 2 loan looks the right option at the moment though. The club have to find a way of getting Obika in to boost the striking options.

I think the start of your third paragraph might explain the second. To sub him at or before half time would have been catastrophic for the lad, and he wasn't the primary reason we weren't playing well. Just look at how devastated the lad looked when he was subbed after 70. He did do some good things as well as the things that went wrong, after all (and he did win at least one header in the game, for all those who think he didn't).

He's no Yann - yet - and that's where our natural comparisons would lie. Personally I would have subbed him 10 minutes earlier, but there's a bigger picture than just one game and particularly with our youth. Yesterday's game would have been priceless for his development.