Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells football is terrible

Comments

• Options

Just woke from a dream, Gus Poyet manager by end of this week.

By the end of October if things aren't going well isn't a bad bet
  • Options
    Jesus wept. The problem isn't Chris Powell. It's the way our club is run right now. It's the owners, the debt, the lack of funds for transfers... If Brighton couldn't match Poyet's ambition, what on Earth make you people think we can!? Ludicrous.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Jesus wept. The problem isn't Chris Powell. It's the way our club is run right now. It's the owners, the debt, the lack of funds for transfers... If Brighton couldn't match Poyet's ambition, what on Earth make you people think we can!? Ludicrous.

I think your being naive if you think Poyet as manager is Ludicrous.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Why would he come here if he was unhappy with the resources at Brighton?
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

You genuinely think Poyet would come here with the current resources (with a take over it's a different story) ? Don't forget his boy is in the youth team so knows inimately how bad it is.
  • Options
    Because we will be taken over before January
  • Options

What has led you to this conclusion ? I agree that if there were funds available then it's a different matter but I'd still be inclined to give Powell the chance to continue as manager in those circumstances.
  • Options
    Yes to Powell no to Paulo is my view.
  • Options

Yes we will.......by the teams underneath us.
  • Options
    That could be next week not January.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I agree with most of what you say, but you can't deny that a more experienced manager would've done better on Saturday. (I'm 100% behind CP btw)

• Options
    I've made the cardinal sin of posting without reading all the posts, but I was surprised Stewart didn't start considering the impact he made on the game on Tuesday. Agreed, it's difficult to accommodate him in the starting formation, and agreed Powell made the substitutions uncharacteristically early, but Stewart again proved himself a class act.

But all in all, a dreadful way to spend an early afternoon. Still I had a few pints in the refurbished Brockley Jack on the way home. That's something goddamit.
  • Options
    Russell Slade
  • Options
    Croydon said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I agree with most of what you say, but you can't deny that a more experienced manager would've done better on Saturday. (I'm 100% behind CP btw)

We haven't a clue though have we? We're just annoyed and frustrated and looking for answers when sometimes there is no perfect answer.

Moyes is an experienced manager, but didn't look it yesterday, nor did Mourinho a week ago when they lost at Everton and flopped at home in the CL. That is how football goes.
  • Options
    i wonder if cp is just to nice.. does he have it in him to tear them a new a hole at half time? make a change shake it up or is he stil in player mode? i have no idea what hes like in the dressing anyone in the know?
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

You're an idiot and/ or a winder upper, but I would suggest dedicating your efforts to winding up someone who takes internet forums more seriously than I!
  • Options
    there is no way anyone can use the more experienced mgr argument look at the history of results in that fixture none of them can hold their heads high tbh,

its a load of crap that only the players can answer, they are scared shiteless of this fixture and make us look stupid more often than not, after Saturdays gutless display none of that team deserve our support, but they will still get it because its the badge that counts

ten mins in the dressing room is all I ask, with them listening and spell it out properly of what a bunch of no good bstds they were Saturday and why this must not keep happening

• Options
    NLA id get em in the dressing room and lock doors----play back those pikeystwonks singing " we laugh at the charlton fans" for a good 4 hours. with huge spread sheet on the wall showing the shameful record that we have against em.
    Maybe they might understand a tad what it feels like.

one day i hope i see scumwall walking away in humiliation and tears
  • Options
    Thought you'd want them walking away in flames GH. ;-)
  • Options
    good point ------humiliation----flames and tears.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Bang on mate and a few little reminders of visits some of ours have had from them in the past

They just dont care enough about us in this fixture they dont want it
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    That's the thing ...I don't think they're scared of the fixture, they just don't give a flying one. And it probably isn't even mentioned that's it's an important game... just another match ...it's a job for them. Just modern football really
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

This man make much sense....
  • Options
    managers don't last forever,even scumwall said goodbye to Kenny Jacket,i am just starting to feel Chris Powell isn't getting his point over to the players,this skying the ball up in the air just played into there hands,no tactical awareness,can we wait much longer before its to late.
  • Options
    It's impressive how many judgements can be made, and how many assumptions are leapt to, despite none of you being privy to anything that goes on outside the 90 minutes on the pitch. Yes, there are problems, but no, you don't know if he's 'too nice', and you can't know if it's a case of him getting his point across - because you're guessing.
  • Options
    doronron said:

managers don't last forever,even scumwall said goodbye to Kenny Jacket,i am just starting to feel Chris Powell isn't getting his point over to the players,this skying the ball up in the air just played into there hands,no tactical awareness,can we wait much longer before its to late.

may i be the first to say ... who is better ;-)
  • Options
    I think Powell is a great squad builder and his faults can be changed by a change of approach rather than anything around his knowledge of the game. He needs to be a little less cautious and more reactive. These are easy changes to make and he does need to take a look at himself. We certainly don't need another manager, but these are things he does need to address for the long term relationship to flourish.

It was very naive to play 3 (non footballing) centre halves against Millwall. The only reason could be that they did alright against Leicester, Watford and away to Huddersfield. But it wasn't rocket science to know that there would be a bigger onus on us to create and force the game on Saturday and unless you are a top team where you say - let our opponents worry about us - you have to set up according to the issues you expect to face! I hope Powell does realise his error as that is the first step towards addressing for the future.

I'm still 100% behind him, but am also being honest!
  • Options
    doronron said:

It's got nothing to do with a lack of tactical awareness - was that the problem against Leicester? It's got everything to do with the forwards not being able to retain the ball, the midfield thinking their team mates were wearing blue and a lack of options available to the centre halves.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Powell was excellent tactically against Leicester - doesn't mean he wasn't poor tactically against Millwall who pose a different sort of challenge! I think his problem is an innate conservatism rather than any lack of tactical knowledge. A don't fix what isn't broken approach which a team of our overall ability can't adopt!
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I think Powell is a great squad builder and his faults can be changed by a change of approach rather than anything around his knowledge of the game. He needs to be a little less cautious and more reactive. These are easy changes to make and he does need to take a look at himself. We certainly don't need another manager, but these are things he does need to address for the long term relationship to flourish.

It was very naive to play 3 (non footballing) centre halves against Millwall. The only reason could be that they did alright against Leicester, Watford and away to Huddersfield. But it wasn't rocket science to know that there would be a bigger onus on us to create and force the game on Saturday and unless you are a top team where you say - let our opponents worry about us - you have to set up according to the issues you expect to face! I hope Powell does realise his error as that is the first step towards addressing for the future.

I'm still 100% behind him, but am also being honest!

Long term relationship, absolutely! You know we can be so short term in our outlook. Lose a game and it's a catastrophe. Stan Collymore was saying yesterday that the reason Swansea are so successful is that their board had a clear long term vision, backed it and backed their managers to build it over the long term. They weren't worried about short term setbacks, the key thing was that their manager bought into the vision and continued building it.

In Powell we have a man with a vision and a desire to see what makes us Charlton back at the heart of the club. We have a board with a short term desire to sell the club for as much money as they can get away with, so it appears. It's this mismarriage that to my mind is at the root of our frustration as fans, but of course we want success now as well - regardless of our recent history that saw Curbs take, what was it, 7 years to build a side capable of winning promotion from this division.

Personally I believe Powell is our best manager since Curbs, and most importantly - with the exception of Les Reed - the only one who knows who we are and what's needed to bring our heart back. For those pursuing a Powell Out agenda, remember the days of Reed, Dowie, Pardew and Parkinson. We have the opportunity in Powell to rebuild our lost identity.

And a reminder that the then board recognised that Curbs was the man to see the long term vision through even in relegation. I don't think we'll lose our Championship place this year, but suspect it will be a closer thing than last season. But for me the picture's bigger than whether Powell can work the same miracle with a squad worse than the one he worked miracles with last year.

100% support, in for the long term.