Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells football is terrible

Comments

• Options
    I would agree - I think we have to accept that Powell is still learning his trade and we could have a great manager on our hands. The thing we don't know is how well he will learn some of the lessons the last couple of seasons have taught. I'd put my money on him doing so but he does need to look in the mirror.
  • Options
    I've posted this elsewhere but the Guardian report on the game observes that we're a League One side with League One ideas. You can't really conclude this from one game, but perhaps the main point to take away from that is that we're fine when the game plan is working, but we don't have the players to turn the game when things really aren't. Last year we had Ricardo Fuller. Where's it coming from this? Powell can only manage what he's allowed to have.
  • Options
    To be fair, Chrissy did make the changes he could - he just took too long to do so. And those changes didn't mirculously transform us, but we did do a bit better and had they been made earlier the outcome could have been affected.
  • Options

Because we will be taken over before January

Only 29 days to do it then.

• Options
    True not long, but i still stand by that his football is pony.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

You say its pony, I would say around 12/13 thousand people disagree, who is right(I will give you a hint its not you)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options

You say its pony, I would say around 12/13 thousand people disagree, who is right(I will give you a hint its not you)
    I will always keep on attending matches but can more than agree with Scabby and whose to know how many of our regular fans who go to VFR may also have a similar view.

It ain't pretty to be sure and when are we ever going to score from a corner move that looked remotely like it had been planned and rehearsed at Sparrows Lane??

Just my personal opinion Paulie :-))
  • Options

Are you really that sure? Not often ive seen good football under Powell at the Valley and that includes the league one winning season.
    I would like for him to have some money though just for the loyaltie he has shown to see if he can push us on, i very much doubt it though but i am prepared to be proved wrong.
    PS your hint is rubbish m8

• Options
    Saturday left me in no doubt, same old, no plan B........never going to score after 50 minutes yet bring on Sordell with 5 mins to go.........wtf. Church off why? Losing at home and change nothing of note as SCP didnt know what to do. Afraid I agree with scabby, sorry Paulie, just an opinion :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2013
    The football is shit most of the time, I have no problem losing to Reading tonight but if we accept a 1-0 defeat or just try and hold out for a 0-0 draw all game like we did at QPR and not even attempt to attack, then I'm through with away games. Even when we have been shit in the past it's never been as dull as this.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Nicholas said:

The football is shit most of the time, I have no problem losing to Reading tonight but if we accept a 1-0 defeat or just try and hold out for a 0-0 draw all game like we did at QPR and not even attempt to attack, then I'm through with away games. Even when we have been shit in the past it's never been as dull as this.

Some people have short memories.............and even further back it most certainly has been a lot duller, trust me.

It comes with the territory of being a Charlton fan :0)

'Cheer up, cheer up the sun is red
    Live, love, laugh and be happy '

Let's hope we can get something from the game tonight, COYR!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Nicholas said:

Fair enough. QPR was a complete waste of time and the football is shit.

Powell isn't totally to blame but gets away with a lot more than an unrelated to our history manager would. More than say parky would of done in this position.

You wouldn't of seen 100% support banners for parky thats for sure.
  • Options

Nicholas said:

Fair enough. QPR was a complete waste of time and the football is shit.

Powell isn't totally to blame but gets away with a lot more than an unrelated to our history manager would. More than say parky would of done in this position.

You wouldn't of seen 100% support banners for parky thats for sure.
    Cue a barrage of Parky was shxx comments!
  • Options
    Parky was class
  • Options
    Bring back Pards............ ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Powell isn't a gung ho manager - and that can frustrate me too at times as I think sometimes when you are chasing a game at home you can take a defender off and play 3 strikers - if your opponents have taken the hold what we have approach, as Ipswich clearly did. But it probably isn't fair to judge Chrissy on how he deals with desperate situations, when he has had to work with a much smaller budget than most. He has shown that he can produce when he is backed!

As for away from home - our best chance is to play exactly like we did against QPR - and if we keep them out they can leave themselves open as they look for a goal. Which is what happened at Biringham and Blackburn. Yes we created more in those games than QPR, but QPR are a better side than those two. It took a real moment of quality for QPR to beat us to be fair.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

As for away from home - our best chance is to play exactly like we did against QPR - and if we keep them out they can leave themselves open as they look for a goal. Which is what happened at Biringham and Blackburn. Yes we created more in those games than QPR, but QPR are a better side than those two. It took a real moment of quality for QPR to beat us to be fair.

Birmingham were as bad as Doncaster that day, we really should have hammered them. I can't speak for the Blackburn game.

I haven't been to as many aways this season but at least after crap like the Ipswich match I was able to think of all the positive away results. However, we had Fuller and Haynes then who could create something frmo nothing. It will be interesting to see how we set up against Yeovil. I suspect they'll also be targeting three points so we'll sit back early on, then the game should open up. If we can weather the first twenty minutes they shoooould be there for the taking.

• Options
    Another that agrees with scabby
  • Options
    Maybe I am wrong, maybe I am the only one who has no problem with his style of play, If that's true I am very surprised he is working with limited players and getting as much as he can out of them, I don't believe its Powell's fault the way we play, And no-one was moaning about it when we won the league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whose fault is it that we play that way then?
    And just to add quite a few people were moaning about the way we played when we won he league
  • Options
    Parky was shit
  • Options
    Charltonised
  • Options
    You all obviously know nothing about football
  • Options
    Some games have been a snooze fest but I'm with Paulie overall. We didn't play terrible football against Doncaster, Forest, Leicester or, imho, Blackpool or Wigan.... and were we really more exciting under previous managers? We have some good performances and some bad performances, which seems about right for a team who, player for player, most neutrals would have at the lower end of the table. The only "worse" team than us that I remember playing better football last season was Peterborough and we know what happened there.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The thing with Powell's football is that its pretty basic. He's a young manager, learning all the time and i don't blame him for that. When you have limited players on a limited budget then you are going to get limited football.

There are players in the squad with more than enough ability, however the thing that separate's them from being top end of the champ is consistency.

One game we get 8/9 players playing to the top of their game, knocking the ball about and we can beat anyone. Birmingham away last season is one of the best footballing performances I've seen from a Charlton team since the Prem days. Expecting that all the time is just out of the question.

I can certainly see improvement in players in the squad, and i attribute that to Powell.

I think as long as we hold our own, no matter what the football is like, the vast majority of fans will be more than satisfied.

Powell understands that trying to be expressive at this moment in time is not gonna work, so setting up for a 0-0 away from home is the a safe game to play. Trying to have a go and getting beat 4-0 is going to do nobody favours.
  • Options

Whose fault is it that we play that way then?
    And just to add quite a few people were moaning about the way we played when we won he league

As I said IMO Powell is playing the best we can with what we have, lets face it the long balls are being used because of Yann and we have no one who can consistently deliver a good ball(or even a half decent ball)
  • Options
    Right will you lot finally wake up....he aint gonna take us further...change change change, lovely man but his time is up, please i dont want pelters (not bothered if you do) but he has to go now - and i think he will - fecking turgid football.
  • Options
    The football Is crap but I still believe he is the right man for the short and long term.
    A lot of players have gone backward under him this season. He's learning and still deserves another 4/5 matches IMO.
  • Options

The football Is crap but I still believe he is the right man for the short and long term.
    A lot of players have gone backward under him this season. He's learning and still deserves another 4/5 matches IMO.

Disagree

Players have gone backwards under lack of contracts.