Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells football is terrible

Comments

• Options

I can't believe he didnt start the two wide lads. It's millwall...at home. Go at them ffs. Pull them apart, don't concentrate down the middle with a 3-5-2.

Really pissed off with Powell today and that hurts.

Exactly Gary, we need to go at teams more at home.
  • Options
    scabbyhorse Member
    5:51PM
    And can someone explain what the feck Dyerbolical does?

Chris Powells best mate, silly.

See also, Curbs and Mervyn Day.
  • Options
    WSS said:

The thing is, is that worked against two of the best sides in the division.

I think CP got a fair bit wrong today but I get his thinking.

I know mate, but that's because the two better sides come out and attack. Millwall were organised and set their stall early as two banks of four. We had nothing then. Hense the hoof ball. I don't know how CP would think it would be any other way.
  • Options
    Was not piggott's fault but clearly he is not up to it yet. You saw that in his cameo against Watford when the defenders rough him up and he disappears. Powell is accountable today for keeping him on so long today so as not to destroy his confidence. Make a few subs at half time and unlikely as it seems, it may have been a different story.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Also blame Powell for making me smoke my first cig for 2 weeks.......really fecking mad now!
  • Options
    Big powell fan but that lies with him today

Wrong formation wrong starting 11 and that team had nothing about it and its up to him to get them at it

Fuked off big time
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    WSS said:

WSS said:

I agree but every teams different. They were their for the taking but we fucked around being defensive like we always do.

Whenever we attack or go at teams were a useful side. But Powell is a fanny way too often and we end up getting turned over. It's all too predictable and boring now

• Options
    Can't understand why we play it about at the back waiting for a forward to find some space, or make some space, when it ain't happening. The opposition will let us do this, especially if we are losing. We played the same game twice this week... with the same result.
  • Options
    If anyone watched the game on sky, Man we got ripped apart by the commentary team,
    "No forward play"
    "central defenders passing it amongst themselves rather than playing it forward"
    "Haven't kept a clean sheet at home for 16 matches"
    "haven't beaten Millwall at the valley since 1996"
    "The away team have had more shots on goal"
    "No flair in charltons attack at all"
    "Soulless performance"

I am going to stop now. We got ripped to pieces!
  • Options
    I've got two words to say about that performance:

shite
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

scabbyhorse Member
    5:51PM
    And can someone explain what the feck Dyerbolical does?

Chris Powells best mate, silly.

See also, Curbs and Mervyn Day.

Yep what a disaster of a time we had with Curbs and his mate and SCP and his mate winning league one and 9th in the Championship look like another nightmare , weirdos

Of course we were shit and wank today and SCP is to blame as much as anyone but the bigger picture might require a bigger brain to look at it, don't be afraid to try it if you can
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

haven't beaten Millwall at the valley since 1996

Hate it when commentators come out with this sort of comment, did they include the fact that we didnt play them at the Valley for 14+ years because Charlton were in a higher division??
  • Options
    Big Merv ate more pies than Dyer..
  • Options
    Don't really understand why against a team like Millwall, would we use a tactic at home that's so defensive. It worked against other (better) teams because they were more likely to come at us and we could counter and have space.

We know that Millwall love playing against the long ball and deep crosses, so why do we choose to do it every time? Having Yann is one thing, but continuing to lump it when there's no one on our team who can win a header is clueless.

At least some kind of direct running from Harriott and Stewart would've given them something to think about, instead of plan A (lump it) lasting about 70 minutes before Powell realised it wasn't working.
  • Options
    Yep what a disaster of a time we had with Curbs and his mate and SCP and his mate winning league one and 9th in the Championship look like another nightmare , weirdos

Of course we were shit and wank today and SCP is to blame as much as anyone but the bigger picture might require a bigger brain to look at it, don't be afraid to try it if you can

just answering someone's question, keep your hair on.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    WSS said:

The players were out-battled, Powell wasn't out thought

WSS said:

Hence why he was out thought. look I love Powelly. But some seem very quick to find any available avenue to lay blame before it lands on his door. He had a Shocker today.
  • Options
    Today was not acceptable, the football played for the last 18 months has been poor. Good results and formations seem to be stumbled upon and it was clear last season Powell didn't know his best team due to the chopping and changing week in week out.
    Is Paul Hart available to lend a hand? Please do something as I am really not enjoying this anymore.

• Options
    If the cap fits mistrollingin
  • Options

WSS said:

WSS said:

Hence why he was out thought. look I love Powelly. But some seem very quick to find in any available avenue to lay blame before it lands on his door. He had a Shocker today.
    I spoke to Powell at the end of his first half season. The team with Dailly, and Docherty and Benson et al. For our poor showing during that half season he said to me 'I blame myself'.
    Chris Powell will know what he could or couldn't have done better, and he will try to find a plan to be more successful.
    If not Powell, who I admit to being a big fan of so lots of bias, then who? Is there any realistic better alternative available? Steve Brown? The Return of Curbs? Fabio Capello? Owen Coyle? Mark Goldberg? Who?
    I hate the way I feel right now but, some of you may find it weird, I am proud to have Chris Powell as our excellent, but not yet perfect, manager.

• Options

oohaahmortimer Member
    6:48PM
    If the cap fits mistrollingin

fits perfectly, thanks.

if I'm ever lucky enough to have a bigger brain I'll ask if I can borrow yours
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Today was not acceptable, the football played for the last 18 months has been poor. Good results and formations seem to be stumbled upon and it was clear last season Powell didn't know his best team due to the chopping and changing week in week out.
    Is Paul Hart available to lend a hand? Please do something as I am really not enjoying this anymore.

Paul harts record with first teams is absolutely dire. Please dear god no.

Powell got it horribly wrong today, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. We have to pick ourselves back up from this and work hard and learn from our mistakes for the next run of games. All this wrist slashing and Powell out from different boards reinforces my thinking that these people know zilch about football. Progress is built upon stability, name me a football club that has consistently been successful whilst chopping and changing managers? Bet you couldn't name me one that wasn't owned by a billionaire.

Powell is the gaffer, we'll note this down in his progress report and wait for his response next time. The nature of the championship is that we'll lose games we should win and win games we should lose. Fact is Powell has had zero backing from the board for 18 months now and has done the best job he can. We play route one because we simply don't have the players to play any passing football at this level. Simple as, they're just not good enough.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

WSS said:

WSS said:

Hence why he was out thought. look I love Powelly. But some seem very quick to find in any available avenue to lay blame before it lands on his door. He had a Shocker today.
    I spoke to Powell at the end of his first half season. The team with Dailly, and Docherty and Benson et al. For our poor showing during that half season he said to me 'I blame myself'.
    Chris Powell will know what he could or couldn't have done better, and he will try to find a plan to be more successful.
    If not Powell, who I admit to being a big fan of so lots of bias, then who? Is there any realistic better alternative available? Steve Brown? The Return of Curbs? Fabio Capello? Owen Coyle? Mark Goldberg? Who?
    I hate the way I feel right now but, some of you may find it weird, I am proud to have Chris Powell as our excellent, but not yet perfect, manager.

Totally agree. And by no means am I in the give him the elbow camp. But when he gets it wrong I'll have a moan.

I don't think he's the kind of bloke that needs to be told that the sun's shining out of his arse when clearly it isn't.

• Options
    Today, Powell got quite a lot of things really rather wrong. But far more often than not, he gets the decisions right. So while he has to take a very large measure of responsibility for today's result, there is no way I will be shouting for his head any time soon. I'd be much less disappointed if it wasn't for the usual high standards he sets out for his team, and for himself.
  • Options
    I think CP will not sleep too well tonight - a totally useless performance by each and every player as well as the coaching staff - if we don't pick ourselves up over the next 4 or 5 games, we will be a long way back. Today was embarrassing.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

Powell looked disgusted on the side line after some of the long balls. I highly doubt it's him, more the team not following instructions!

yes, you would be surprised how sometimes what the manager has said goes out the window as soon as the match starts with some players who fail to keep calm. The reason why powel didn't play lots of the younger ones i.e harriott, cousins ect is because at their age, they tend to have blitzed themselves out in the first 30mins, i can understand the decision to use them later on but I would prefer it if he subbed harriott on at HT. thoughts?
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Please don't criticize Powell his a legend and can't do no wrong. His tactics are great and his timing of subs is perfect. Sort yourselfs out

I would wish for no other man in the world to manage CAFC right now but hes not a perfect manager yet.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

WSS said:

WSS said:

Agreed.
  • Options
    oh my god, a derby loss and the Powell out brigade emerge. It was dreadful today, not for a lack of effort but a lack of quality and a team in Millwall who spent most of the game with 10 behind the ball and for whom going 1-0 up was a gift.

I agree about the hoof ball to a point - I think most of our problems were because we tried too much tippy tappy stuff in possession rather than being more direct - but do you really think Powell asks Hamer to roll it to the centre half so they can boot it long?

Powell is working miracles with a League One squad, some people need to wake up to themselves.
  • Options
    The players aren't playing for CP anymore, once they stop putting a shift in for the manager it can only end one way. Shame, but its only a matter of time before they see him off
  • Options
    Why does Cousins not play?