Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells football is terrible

Comments

• Options
    I find it is frustrating that we are always to the right things before hand when we have big games (Millwall,Palarse,Today) and then the team never even turn up. Actions mean more than words!!!
  • Options

I find it is frustrating that we are always to the right things before hand when we have big games (Millwall,Palarse,Today) and then the team never even turn up. Actions mean more than words!!!

The operative word in your post is always.

In the 50 years I've supported Charlton they've "turned up" at St Andrews and Wembley in play-offs.

At this moment I'm struggling to think of many other occasions. It's a "Charlton" rather than a "Powell" thing.
  • Options
    Harriot just past the post ... if it goes in different story... we were playing deep to contain them, waiting for a mistake, it came and we didnt capitalise we just missed it, we were going for a smash and grab against a very in from team, we didnt take our one chance, they took theirs, then got lucky and then we gave up and could have lost by a few more, the team itself has no creativity and no decent strikers, this we be out approach and our 1 and only approach that MAY keep us up, I am very keen to start a FANS OUT thread and see if we can start turfing out those fans that cant see what a truly awful situation powell has had to deal with...
  • Options
    No excuse for no effort
  • Options
    WSS said:

No excuse for no effort

Who wasn't trying?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

WSS said:

No excuse for no effort

Who wasn't trying?
    All Bar jacko
  • Options
    that's right they didnt want trip to wembley at all..
  • Options
    Scoham said:

WSS said:

No excuse for no effort

Who wasn't trying?
    None of them more than Sheff U. We're a league above, we should be matching effort and then beating on quality.

We didn't do the former.
  • Options

Totally clueless tactically.

If I made these poor management decisions at work I would expect to face the consequences and so should powell

It's funny you say that. I work for a University. I set the students up with help where needed and then they go out and sit their exams on their own. If they then perform badly in the exam and come back to me saying somehow it's my fault I'll tell them where to go. Once they go out there it's up to them and I have no more influence on it. It's the same situation here. The players are to blame today and I can't believe that people can't see that.
    Disagree with this. The tactical set up was wrong. Jordan Cousins out wide right is wrong. For 442 you need quality & Pace on the wings. With Harriots you have pace but lack of quality and with Cousins you have quality and no pace. The attacking threat was non existent for most of the game. 4231 with Cousins / Poyet in the middle and Astrid in the middle would have been much better.

The lack of quality up front in the 442 is an indictment of Rolands 'genius vision' in selling our best striker and not replacing them. The combination of Powell mistakes in tactical set up and Rolands lack of investment is a very bad combination. God help us for the run in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joshuk87 said:

Scoham said:

WSS said:

No excuse for no effort

Who wasn't trying?
    All Bar jacko
    Not true that is it mate.
    Beaten by a better team. Maybe the occasion got the better of one or two of ours as well. Sheff utd played the more coherent football for longer spells of the game and deserve some credit.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Scoham said:

WSS said:

No excuse for no effort

Who wasn't trying?
    None of them more than Sheff U. We're a league above, we should be matching effort and then beating on quality.

We didn't do the former.
    That's not the same as "no effort" though is it.

Had Harriott's chance gone in we may still have lost but it could have been a very different game. Suddenly that first 60 minutes was a tight battling game rather than one in which Sheff Utd wanted it more.
  • Options
    I still dont think there is a formation that works with these players, I agree with poyet and cousines in a back 2 but not sure whcih 3 would go across the attacking mid and who up from proper... its all just round pegs in square holes... and with the amount of games in such a short time frame, Im definately feeling a bit dark tonight...
  • Options
    Mate it wasn't lack of effort it was a lack of quality

Roland our saviour sold our 2 best players who would have made a difference today

It was a negative performance combined with poor defending for the first and a lucky deflection for the second

We might be a league above sheff utd at the moment but they would beat us 8 times out of 10 at the moment, wouldn't surprise me if we swapped divisions come May
  • Options
    Powell can only field the best 11 from his squad. Is our best 11 better than the majority of the teams we play each week?
  • Options
    The football has been shit for 3 seasons now kerm and stephens would not have made a difference as we played exactly the same when they were in the team which is defend and hope we nick one on the break. You can all blame takeovers, lack of investment selling players etc etc which obviously doesn't help BUT at the end of the day Powell only knows how to play one way which ive already mentioned. I don't know Mr Powell like most on here and he comes across as a very decent bloke but I think alot of charlton fans are getting confused that being a top bloke makes you a top manager sadly this is not the case with Powell.
    He needs to go now to give the new manager time tp plan a promotion push from league 1 next season.
  • Options

The football has been shit for 3 seasons now kerm and stephens would not have made a difference as we played exactly the same when they were in the team which is defend and hope we nick one on the break. You can all blame takeovers, lack of investment selling players etc etc which obviously doesn't help BUT at the end of the day Powell only knows how to play one way which ive already mentioned. I don't know Mr Powell like most on here and he comes across as a very decent bloke but I think alot of charlton fans are getting confused that being a top bloke makes you a top manager sadly this is not the case with Powell.
    He needs to go now to give the new manager time tp plan a promotion push from league 1 next season.

I imagine during his planning that manager would probably want to take a leaf out of the book of the manager who got the highest ever points total in League One. Oh wait..
  • Options
    vff said:

If I made these poor management decisions at work I would expect to face the consequences and so should powell

It's funny you say that. I work for a University. I set the students up with help where needed and then they go out and sit their exams on their own. If they then perform badly in the exam and come back to me saying somehow it's my fault I'll tell them where to go. Once they go out there it's up to them and I have no more influence on it. It's the same situation here. The players are to blame today and I can't believe that people can't see that.
    Disagree with this. The tactical set up was wrong. Jordan Cousins out wide right is wrong. For 442 you need quality & Pace on the wings. With Harriots you have pace but lack of quality and with Cousins you have quality and no pace. The attacking threat was non existent for most of the game. 4231 with Cousins / Poyet in the middle and Astrid in the middle would have been much better.

The lack of quality up front in the 442 is an indictment of Rolands 'genius vision' in selling our best striker and not replacing them. The combination of Powell mistakes in tactical set up and Rolands lack of investment is a very bad combination. God help us for the run in.
    Don't even think Cousins has quality either on the right, he has none of the attributes of a good wide midfielder, not just pace. No attacking movement, crossing, dribbling ability or passing range. Didn't even help Wilson out all that much, as Murphy practically had a field day on that left hand side.

He's another defensive type central midfielder. Would playing two of them in the middle help us? No particularly. We need someone like AA, but he needs to be able to play 90 mins.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

The operative word in your post is always.

In the 50 years I've supported Charlton they've "turned up" at St Andrews and Wembley in play-offs.

At this moment I'm struggling to think of many other occasions. It's a "Charlton" rather than a "Powell" thing.
    We'd all love to think our clubs are unique and that there is some sort of DNA running through them like a stick of rock, but that notion is, frankly, utter bollocks.

Go to any message board and you'll find posts saying exactly what's said here. "Typical (enter team name here)".

I'd wager that catchment area/ support size is about the only consistent factor in what makes a team who they are. Not some imaginary psychological defect that's passed from player to player, manager to manager.

Go look at one of the 'favourite games of all time' threads and tell everyone on there we've only 'turned up' twice in 50 years. I dare you.

• Options

Thats it eureka! You could be the new manager because University its so much similar to football tactics.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So when we win its because of Powell and when we lose its because of the players.
  • Options

Thats it eureka! You could be the new manager because University its so much similar to football tactics.
    I see you've completely failed to understand the point there. I am deeply shocked by this.
  • Options

I see you've completely failed to understand the point there. I am deeply shocked by this.
    Yep because its a crap point as you didn't prepare your students very well.

• Options
    It's time, Powell Out........of sorts after disaster at blades
  • Options
    Scoham said:

WSS said:

Scoham said:

WSS said:

No excuse for no effort

Who wasn't trying?

We didn't do the former.
    That's not the same as "no effort" though is it.

Had Harriott's chance gone in we may still have lost but it could have been a very different game. Suddenly that first 60 minutes was a tight battling game rather than one in which Sheff Utd wanted it more.
    Commentators on radio said Sheffield Utd won because they wanted it more. That's an impartial view that from my seat in the stadium I agree with.

• Options

Not sure you have grasped the subtlety of analogies.
  • Options

Yep because its a crap point as you didn't prepare your students very well.

Incorrect. Poor trolling.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Not sure you have grasped the subtlety of analogies.
    Er? Are you serious
  • Options
    My grasp of it m8 was that it was a shit analogie, just my opinion though.
  • Options
    Why is it that if you want Powell to go you are a troll? I have supported Chris Powell for a while, but I think a change of Manager at the end of the Season would be the right time. I also think it is time for a clear out of the players, a number of whom are not good enough.