Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells football is terrible

Comments

• Options
    You took the comparison literally. You didn't say "I don't buy that analogy" initially, you sarcastically said "University its so much similar to football tactics." Even if we get past the nonsensical structure of that sentence, it still doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

You took the comparison literally. You didn't say "I don't buy that analogy" initially, you sarcastically said "University its so much similar to football tactics." Even if we get past the nonsensical structure of that sentence, it still doesn't make sense.

Omg you normally this boring
  • Options
    Yeah, that's what I thought!

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool...
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Yeah, that's what I thought!

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool...

Do you work at a university too?
  • Options
    You know, I'd quite like to.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Why is it that if you want Powell to go you are a troll? I have supported Chris Powell for a while, but I think a change of Manager at the end of the Season would be the right time. I also think it is time for a clear out of the players, a number of whom are not good enough.

Agree 100% Dick (as usual).
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

You know, I'd quite like to.

You get good holiday
  • Options
    Are we going to have this thread resurface whenever we play poorly? If so, might as well make it a sticky.
  • Options
    Lower_Westsider said:
    Totally clueless tactically.

If I made these poor management decisions at work I would expect to face the consequences and so should powell

It's funny you say that. I work for a University. I set the students up with help where needed and then they go out and sit their exams on their own. If they then perform badly in the exam and come back to me saying somehow it's my fault I'll tell them where to go. Once they go out there it's up to them and I have no more influence on it. It's the same situation here. The players are to blame today and I can't believe that people can't see that.

Hardly comparable as your students get to sit their exams once and maybe again in a retaken exam . These players however return on Monday morning . Should your students fail an exam, come back to you for guidance, fail again, come back for more guidance, fail again and so on and so forth, for months or years perhaps,would you still take the stance that it is their fault and nothing whatsoever to do with you?
    Not even remotely comparable is it.
  • Options
    Oh yes it is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    5:55PM
    Why is it that if you want Powell to go you are a troll? I have supported Chris Powell for a while, but I think a change of Manager at the end of the Season would be the right time. I also think it is time for a clear out of the players, a number of whom are not good enough.

Of course you are not being a troll and neither are the others. Ironically almost everyone agrees that the team in being run very poorly, it's all about the excuse that is used, of which there are many.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Hardly comparable as your students get to sit their exams once and maybe again in a retaken exam . These players however return on Monday morning . Should your students fail an exam, come back to you for guidance, fail again, come back for more guidance, fail again and so on and so forth, for months or years perhaps,would you still take the stance that it is their fault and nothing whatsoever to do with you?
    Not even remotely comparable is it.

Ah, but what if the university authorities got rid of 5 or 6 of your best creative students from the end of last year and replaced them with a mixed bag of promising A level kids, visa students from different cultures and people with a GCSE in basket weaving?
  • Options
    What got me was that again Powell pushes cousins outside to accomadate Jackson who the game was just passing by and that should with his shockingly late tackle. Cousins can't dribble the ball and has no skill he's a tackler that's it so out wide is totally pointless and a waste of time. Powell then decides to take Poyet off our only creative person out there today with composure and was a class above but no Powell can't see that and leaves Jackson on complete idiot
  • Options
    A desperately sad day - feel sorry for those who went. We were shocking and I really can't face the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Cost me £450 to watch that rubbish
  • Options

These players however return on Monday morning . Should your students fail an exam, come back to you for guidance, fail again, come back for more guidance, fail again and so on and so forth, for months or years perhaps,would you still take the stance that it is their fault and nothing whatsoever to do with you?

Hard to argue with this. I'm afraid that whilst Chris Powell might be battling against the odds given the budget available to him, the fact is that there is very little evidence that he and his coaching staff are capable of improving the technical performance of the players at their disposal, either individually or collectively. That's a major failing and it was painfully apparent again this afternoon.

At one point during commentary Owen Hargreaves, whilst saying that Diego Poyet was comfortable on the ball, stressed that "the front four were very static, just standing there with nobody making a run", hence there was no ball on for Poyet and others. "The build up is pedestrian and too easy for Sheffield United to deal with", he added.

If anybody thinks this is down to the players rather than the coaching staff, I can recommend taking a Saturday off and taking a look at Rochdale in League Two, just as an example. You'll see a team of players who wouldn't get near our first team passing and moving with much more fluency than we do.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Cost me £450 to watch that rubbish

You have my sympathy
  • Options

Players didn't turn up, it happens. Not everything needs to be a tactical fault.

Yeah , odd innit, that 'Players dont turn up' quite a lot for us ??!!
  • Options
    So pissed off, that was so, so crap, I love Powell as a man, him and his coaching team..........we were an embarrassment can anyone offer an argument otherwise?
  • Options

If I made these poor management decisions at work I would expect to face the consequences and so should powell

It's funny you say that. I work for a University. I set the students up with help where needed and then they go out and sit their exams on their own. If they then perform badly in the exam and come back to me saying somehow it's my fault I'll tell them where to go. Once they go out there it's up to them and I have no more influence on it. It's the same situation here. The players are to blame today and I can't believe that people can't see that.
    and if they keep failing, I would sack you and bring in lecturers that were good at their job. or got us up the league tables, or NSS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MAN for Man a league one side has better players than us. Even Chris Porter on the bench. He is better than both our front two....We are in a world of shit..
  • Options

So when we win its because of Powell and when we lose its because of the players.

no, it is because of the owners, get it right.
  • Options
    Dreadful I cant say any more.
  • Options

and if they keep failing, I would sack you and bring in lecturers that were good at their job. or got us up the league tables, or NSS.
    Of course you would Steve, but that's because you haven't got a clue
  • Options
    Yes, that is right, I haven't got a clue.

You are obviously a lecturer or a lecturers gopher at a lower end poly/uni. if we worked in the same uni, you would be one of my staff. but I am at a successful uni.

No we do not have a place for you here, before you ask.
  • Options

Yes, that is right, I haven't got a clue.

You are obviously a lecturer or a lecturers gopher at a lower end poly/uni. if we worked in the same uni, you would be one of my staff. but I am at a successful uni.

No we do not have a place for you here, before you ask.

Please tell me you don't teach English or sports....
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

LenGlover said:

I find it is frustrating that we are always to the right things before hand when we have big games (Millwall,Palarse,Today) and then the team never even turn up. Actions mean more than words!!!

The operative word in your post is always.

In the 50 years I've supported Charlton they've "turned up" at St Andrews and Wembley in play-offs.

At this moment I'm struggling to think of many other occasions. It's a "Charlton" rather than a "Powell" thing.
    We'd all love to think our clubs are unique and that there is some sort of DNA running through them like a stick of rock, but that notion is, frankly, utter bollocks.

Go to any message board and you'll find posts saying exactly what's said here. "Typical (enter team name here)".

I'd wager that catchment area/ support size is about the only consistent factor in what makes a team who they are. Not some imaginary psychological defect that's passed from player to player, manager to manager.

Go look at one of the 'favourite games of all time' threads and tell everyone on there we've only 'turned up' twice in 50 years. I dare you.

Sorry I should have clarified that I meant in "one off" games when I said "turned up."
  • Options
    edited March 2014
  • Options
  • Options
    Granted that Powelly's football isn't always the prettiest on the eye but what would hurt me is if he left the club with his previous good reputation in tatters with all the fans. That would break my heart.