Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton terrace legends. Where are they now ?

Comments

• Options

Yes, RIP Ian Pitman. How could I forget Ian Cartwright, Danny Green, The Martin brothers, Billy King, the Perfects family, Mark Sayer, Barry (became a Steward), Micky Norcott, Mick Gebbett, Steve Nelson, Paul Harley, Roy King, Les Turner, Stuart Morgan, Sid Smith and his brother...

Not forgetting, Ronnie Chance, Keith Salter, Gary Spence, Big Les Kawoh (sp), Paul Green, Eric Clancy, Hughie Barr et al ...

Yeah...thanks for leaving me out just 'cos I fought like a girl :-)

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm going back a bit, but do you remember the guy with the gravelly voice in the Covered End in the late 1960s: "Give us a CEE-EE-EE-EE": "Cee-ee-ee-ee"; "AI-AI-AI-AITCH": "Ai-ai-ai-aitch": "AY-AY-AY-AY"; "Ay-ay-ay-ay"....

"ZIGGER ZAGGER, ZIGGER ZAGGER": "Oi, oi, oi!"
  • Options

I'm going back a bit, but do you remember the guy with the gravelly voice in the Covered End in the late 1960s: "Give us a CEE-EE-EE-EE": "Cee-ee-ee-ee"; "AI-AI-AI-AITCH": "Ai-ai-ai-aitch": "AY-AY-AY-AY"; "Ay-ay-ay-ay"....

It was a guy named Don.

• Options
    edited October 2013

It was a guy named Don.

Lovely. Have you got your time-machine, and can we go back there now? Do you remember that odd isolated bit of terracing on the west side, close to the south end? We were standing there at a game in the late Sixties and one of the punters gave Harry Gregory a bit of verbal: "My old lady could cross better than you, 'Arry." He was trotting back to the half-way line and flicked us a V-sign behind his back.

Marvellous.
  • Options
    Mick Walker is still going strong, living in Hastings - gets to a few games.
  • Options
    It's great to have stirred up so many names,tributes and memories for so many people. When you think about it wouldn't it be a good idea if you could have one home game and one away game each season where the theme was. I used to go but for whatever reason I can't make it anymore. Regardless of how well the team is playing is not a good reason for not turning up. Through networking sites we all know people who don't go anymore. I'd buy a ticket for Denis.
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

It's great to have stirred up so many names,tributes and memories for so many people. When you think about it wouldn't it be a good idea if you could have one home game and one away game each season where the theme was. I used to go but for whatever reason I can't make it anymore. Regardless of how well the team is playing is not a good reason for not turning up. Through networking sites we all know people who don't go anymore. I'd buy a ticket for Denis.

That'd be great, I'd be up for that.
  • Options
    We would have to choose a game at home and away and promote it. An away game like Reading would be good. Lots of seats. Waterloo or Paddington meet. Or even Ipswich. I've got a stirring in my loins already.
  • Options
    Could even do somewhere up north. Stopover in rugby. Lol
  • Options
    Blackpool away last game would be good, there are already a load of Charlton planning a weekend for that one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brighton Leeds. Just looked at the fixture list. Tasty.
    We could call it.
    Back from out the woodwork
    60s 70's 80's revival.
  • Options
    Few names that are missing from the early seventies
    John Welsh, Mad man Mckenzie, Mark Wheeler, used to go together from Bexleyheath, Dave Waldron, Cliff Waldron , Bob Maglone. As for Keithy Giles one of the few people who scared some of us more then the opposition, Steward at Derby, you would certainly do what he told you.
  • Options
    I can see many of these faces even now standing in the bar below the covered end. From what I remember there was two options, a light ale or a brown ale.
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

Brighton Leeds. Just looked at the fixture list. Tasty.
    We could call it.
    Back from out the woodwork
    60s 70's 80's revival.

If there's going to be lads from the 70's and 80's I'm not going, as I know for a fact that these youngsters would be looking for agro trouble :-)
  • Options
    People grow up. Just to see old faces. I'm 45 with kids. Go and support our team and chat about old times.
  • Options
    We could sing a few of the old songs. Knees up mother brown.
  • Options
    There would be loads of old songs, all classics as well! Plenty of Goodbye Horse I should imagine! I remember going to some away games late 70`s early 80`s and we used to sing Goodbye Horse for ages and the home fans used to be going mental as it was driving them mad lol
  • Options
    I recall singing goodbye horse and yippee I aye in that big boozer in rugby. What was that all about.
  • Options
    That yippee i aye started at the Man Utd away game when won 1.0 in 86 and just carried on from there. Goodbye horse has always been a favourite just because the oppo fans don`t have a clue why we are singing it and it winds them up lol
  • Options
    Anybody else absolutely gutted they haven't been named as a legend.
    But seriously, i'm quite surprised by the number of people i've never heard of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Anybody else absolutely gutted they haven't been named as a legend.

More than gutted...my jokes were legendary.

• Options

The thing is Baldy, it looks like people are covering something like a 30yr radius, very wide, and will only really be mentioning those in their close groups, or the odd stand outs.

• Options

remember one of my first away games outside London around '64 at Ipswich, following Stu Morgan and his entourage into Woolworths on the way from the station to Portman Road and hundreds of us coming out with handfull's of sweets and stuff! Great days. I could only stand in envy at their full length leather coats, Levi's and desert boots. The football special we traveled up on didn't have a bog roll or light bulb left by the time we arrived. Whenever I hear "Da Doo Ron Ron" by the Crystals I just stand and wonder where 50 frigging years have gone.

PIc 'n' Mix. I remember it well.
  • Options

Cardinal dont forget Dave Thompson ---its a rumour but i think he still goes !!

sad that there are so many RIPs on that list but also amazing given the decades of shit served up that so many are still going.

No "P" in Thompson
    Yep Cardinal, I've seen him behind the East Stand a few times.
  • Options
    Modern day you would have to add Maddison.
  • Options

Yep, fair play.

Our crowd from the early 90s was covered extrensively in this thread:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/53369/red-division-of-our-day-early-90s/

• Options
    markmc68 said:

We could sing a few of the old songs. Knees up mother brown.

And the song was customised for Tommy Docherty, manager of Man United, who was knocking off his secretary: "Who's up Mrs Brown? Who's up Mrs Brown? Tommy, Tommy Docherty..."
  • Options

Yep as well as many others!
  • Options
    let me say your a terrace legend SE9
  • Options
    It is the different characters on the terrace that make going to football so enjoyable. I have meet so many great people on the terrace over the years . Great thread