Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs whoring himself for Palace job

Comments

• Options

Can't say I am too bothered either tbh. I think Palarse will help prove what I suspect, that Curbs is/was a one trick pony...

yep one of those managers that can only get shitty teams to stay up in the prem , with the odd promotion and top half premiership finish as well
    Hmmm, so that's Charlton AND?
    And West Ham. So both of the clubs he managed. He kept West Ham up after they were dead and buried the season we went down. Don't let the facts get in the way of your bizarre opinions though.
  • Options
    Explanation necessary - next time Ill be sure to use a literal translation. The analogy is betrayal too close to home by one you love Henry. Hopefully that makes sense mate.

Im not sure 'Palace need to appoint somebody with Premier League experience and Ive got 328 games worth' is a pundit filling dead time on the box but as I say sounds like nobody else is bothered anyway. The only reason I raised it was because I was disappointed by it and I thought the place to share my disappointment was a Charlton forum but obviously my feelings right or wrong differ from most. I have spent a very large chunk of my life following Charlton and old Curbs has been a rather significant part of that. Personally i rather not think of my lifelong heroes as bank managers switching from one job to the next but each to their own.
  • Options
    He left us seven years ago, he's looking for a job on his doorstep, this is it.
    He won't get the job though, more is the pity, because he is not the right man for it. Any Curbishley tenure would only put palace further in the mire.
    Lord Llewellyn is still a hero of mine, CAFC would be nothing if he had not been in charge for the length of time that he was. If he did take the palace job, good luck to him so far as I am concerned, however, the palace owners know who they want .. it is definitely not Alan Curbishley
  • Options
    Yeah. He won't get it but can't blame him for trying.
  • Options

won't be the first person to accept a role for 30 pieces of silver.

Indeed. As in every player or manager who has moved to another club because the money and the prospects were better - which is just about everyone who has ever made a living from the game.

Those of us who turn up on a Saturday afternoon cannot demand the same blind loyalty from those who work in the game and whose relationship with football is not about tribalism but about putting a roof over their families heads and feeding the bairns. It's so obvious I cannot believe that even need saying.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    MrLargo said:

Can't say I am too bothered either tbh. I think Palarse will help prove what I suspect, that Curbs is/was a one trick pony...

yep one of those managers that can only get shitty teams to stay up in the prem , with the odd promotion and top half premiership finish as well
    Hmmm, so that's Charlton AND?
    And West Ham. So both of the clubs he managed. He kept West Ham up after they were dead and buried the season we went down. Don't let the facts get in the way of your bizarre opinions though.
    Still contend that Curbs career with us was an exception in football. No way would he have been at any other football club for that length of time, his relationship with us was/will for ever be unique. As for West Ham, well done to him but if he was that shit hot what happened?

One trick pony yes but what a pony and I love the fella and what he did for us over so many years. If he takes the Palarse job or any other for that matter good luck to him but that is my bizarre opinion.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I don't think it would sit too well with the Palace fans if he went there and cocked it up , he wouldn't get the same level of patience shown to him that Richard Murray and the board showed to him at Charlton , i think Curbs realises that, everythings a lot more about instant gratification these days.
  • Options
    I'd manage Palace for £1m with a £1m bonus if I kept them up, so why wouldn't Curbs?
  • Options
    I would hate to see him there. Simple as that.

Alan Curbishley is probably the most identifiable Charlton 'icon' in the last 50 odd years. If I ever get into a conversation with a random Football fan about Charlton, they always mention Alan's name straight away. To have that sort of recognition tarnished by him wearing a red and blue tie would be horrible to see.
  • Options
    Does anyone actually believe that he has been rejecting job offers ?!?
    He thinks he can still manage in the Prem but there are loads of better and more recently employed manager than him available .... He's completely out of touch now poor sod.
    Doubt many decent clubs in the Champ would take the risk now.
    Pains me to say but he is simply yesterday's news.
    As likely to work again as Peter Reid, George Graham, David O'Leary or Terry Venables.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If one trick ponies get two promotions to the Premier League and years of stability in that league then, yeah, he was a one trick pony.

• Options
    Addickted said:

I'd manage Palace for £1m with a £1m bonus if I kept them up, so why wouldn't Curbs?

Would you manage Wolves for £1m with a £1m bonus if you kept them up? Curbs wouldn't.
  • Options
    If be surprised if he got that job.
  • Options
    If he went there and did well he would mean nothing to me.
  • Options

Yeah. He won't get it but can't blame him for trying.

Exactly but it is a bit embarrassing for him (and us too possibly) to have to whore himself to every club who has sacked their manager
  • Options
    He was a 'one trick pony' because he was good enough to stay in one job for 15 odd years. Only a handful of the best managers in English football history (Ferguson and Wenger included) have had the quality to do that in recent times.
  • Options
    Ok ...... As long as you're not comparing those to with Curbs :)
    See your point though I think
  • Options
    cafctom said:

He was a 'one trick pony' because he was good enough to stay in one job for 15 odd years. Only a handful of the best managers in English football history (Ferguson and Wenger included) have had the quality to do that in recent times.

Eh? Confused. I think you basically agree with me but unless i'm wrong, one trick pony is a detrimental term.
    Anyway...he won't be going to Selhurst P.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Would you manage Wolves for £1m with a £1m bonus if you kept them up? Curbs wouldn't.
    Yes.

But Curbs was only offered a short term contract there. Parish is far more sensible than that.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Addickted said:

As would every single Charlton fan, I'm sure. I find the suggestion that Curbs is "whoring himself" far more objectionable and offensive than the prospect of him managing Palace.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:

cafctom said:

Eh? Confused. I think you basically agree with me but unless i'm wrong, one trick pony is a detrimental term.
    Anyway...he won't be going to Selhurst P.
    I'm just ironically referring to the term 'one trick pony' being used earlier in this thread.

It would take a lot for me to genuinely mean a bad word against Curbs.
  • Options
    Agent Curbs
  • Options

won't be the first person to accept a role for 30 pieces of silver.

Those of us who turn up on a Saturday afternoon cannot demand the same blind loyalty from those who work in the game and whose relationship with football is not about tribalism but about putting a roof over their families heads and feeding the bairns. It's so obvious I cannot believe that even need saying.

Really? Do you honestly think Curbs would take the role so he could put a roof over his family's head and feed his children?

He has a job. He has turned down jobs elsewhere. He will not take the role (if he does) to put a roof over his family's head and feed his children.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Yes.

But Curbs was only offered a short term contract there. Parish is far more sensible than that.

Both of those statements are unfounded assumptions / guesses. The point is that he doesn't need the money he doesn't need the job he would be taking it for the sake of it and betraying Charlton in the process.

• Options
    Correct Sheffield.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Yes.

Both of those statements are unfounded assumptions / guesses. The point is that he doesn't need the money he doesn't need the job he would be taking it for the sake of it and betraying Charlton in the process.

With the greatest of respect how the f*ck can you possibly know what he wants or needs.

• Options

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Yes.

With the greatest of respect how the f*ck can you possibly know what he wants or needs.

What you banging on about mate? It's pretty clear he "wants" the Palace job. I didn't mention what he wants. But he rejected the Wolves job so he clearly doesn't "need" anything that badly, unless he's developed a crippling gambling habit in the last 18months.
  • Options
    Love the 'he's out of work' blah blah stuff. The bloke will still be earning a month through his occasional media work for foreign outlets more than most of us do in a year !

Thought 'whoring himself' was a strong headline. Now seen that video and don't really disagree with it.

Would hate to see him there, but can see it happening
  • Options
    I wouldn't think less of him if he went.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Yes.

I can confirm that Parish is very sensible and part of a smart group of businessmen. I worked for him for 8 years. Not overly bothered if Curbs went there, might have been a few years back but I honestly think he's been out of the game too long. Palace's promotion was such a surprise they probably planned primarily to go straight back down with a nice kitty for next season and staying up would be an amazing bonus. Looks like Parish was not pushing Holloway out but rather he'd lost the will.