Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs whoring himself for Palace job

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Just stuck a quid on Curbs at 25-1.

Reverse psychology as I never, or rarely anyway, win bets.

Pulis is 11-8 ON!

This is with Paddy Power.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    I'd manage Palace for £1m with a £1m bonus if I kept them up, so why wouldn't Curbs?

Perhaps we should make that question a new heading for this thread. Then the people who replied that they would turn the job down could be given a lie detector test, and if they passed it be offered counselling ?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Pulis is 11-8 ON!

Blimey , you can get shorter odds on Man United to win the league!

• Options
    I can't believe some of the (earlier) comments on here.I don't want to single them out as that may cause unnecessary trouble but...calling him 'one trick pony'?Hoping he fails miserably and never gets a job again?Seriously?Are we talking about the same Curbishley?It's hard to describe what he did for us in just one sentence and I thought every local Charlton fan knew that better than me.I'm simply so so surprised by the level of ingratitude some of the fans have shown.
    LenGlover said:

My take is that he hears all the guff about "an experienced premiership manager" and is simply reminding people that he still exists.

To be honest I didn't expect Curbs' reaction like that either at first.But after reading LenGlover's comment above,I don't have a problem with that at all now.I wish Curbs success in whatever he does in future,as I always have.I'd be much happier if it wasn't the Palace job of course but if he did eventually get it,it wouldn't change the fact a bit that he is a Charlton legend and forever my biggest football hero.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Pulis is 11-8 ON!

Blimey , you can get shorter odds on Man United to win the league!

Next Manager markets are always a bit mental, the bookies are always twitchy about people having insider knowledge. A few more tenners on Curbs, or one person with more money than sense putting a big lump on him and he'll be odds-on in know time.
  • Options
    Would those who are okay with it feel the same if it was Millwall? Genuine question...
  • Options

Lennie joined palace January 2011

He did get stick. A pub in Charlton even had "Lennie what have you done?" written on a chalk board, I think Curb_It took a photo of it.

Woah. Someone should send Curbs the photo of this chalkboard to scare him off taking the job.
    Ha! That should show him how serious we take things around here!

• Options
    Would those who are okay with it feel the same if it was Millwall? Genuine question...

You will find that intelligent people will perhaps think it a shame, but not wish someone that they greatly admire has to stay out of the game.
  • Options

Bloody hell! The current situation is bad enough!!

• Options

Wash your mouth out you ******* :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lol CE - Just thinking you either are happy for him and wish him well or you don't, so I'm interested if that would suddenly change things for the current 'pro' brigade?
  • Options
    'Crystal Curbs'.

will be the headline when he saves them from relegation.

'Curbs in need of repair'

if he doesn't
  • Options
    Would hate it if Curbs went there but he won't.
  • Options

If they are the only club that were willing to give him a job, and if sainsburys weren't taking on any troller collecting types then yes this move would get my blessing
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

You can still get 33/1 on Curbs to commit the ultimate betrayal.

I don't think he'll get it, but if Pulis turns it down then most of the bookies' other contender seem quite unlikely.

Warnock, O'Neill and Avram Grant are all shorter odds than Curbs and fit the bill in some ways but can't see any of them going there.

Mike Phelan and Karl Robinson are shorter odds but don't fit the bill, so neither of them.

That leaves Coppell, Freedman, Di Matteo and Coleman, and I would say the first two wouldn't want it either.

It's also 33/1 for a reason. Some on here talking like he's almost signed on the dotted line are deluded.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

I don't think he'll get it, but if Pulis turns it down then most of the bookies' other contender seem quite unlikely.

Warnock, O'Neill and Avram Grant are all shorter odds than Curbs and fit the bill in some ways but can't see any of them going there.

Mike Phelan and Karl Robinson are shorter odds but don't fit the bill, so neither of them.

That leaves Coppell, Freedman, Di Matteo and Coleman, and I would say the first two wouldn't want it either.

It's also 33/1 for a reason. Some on here talking like he's almost signed on the dotted line are deluded.
    yep I agree ... he's illiterate isn't he ?
  • Options
    I think the error being made on this thread is referring to AC as "Curbs".
    If he goes, he will prove to be Agent Curbishley.
  • Options
    A football manager's going to take the job why shouldn't it be me?

:-)
  • Options

MrLargo said:

yep I agree ... he's illiterate isn't he ?
    He'd have to be f**king stupid...
  • Options

He did get stick. A pub in Charlton even had "Lennie what have you done?" written on a chalk board, I think Curb_It took a photo of it.

Ha ha bit lame! Not quite the effigy of Sol Campbell being strung up in a noose outside White Hart Lane!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the job is a bit of a poison chalice. The squad is poor, even for the Championship, with Zaha gone and I don't think the owners have any money. The Parachute money will give them a boost, but I'm not sure that their dealing this summer will not make it difficult for them to go back up next season - assuming they come down in May.

With all that in mind I suspect that most of the 'wish list' will be tempted to say no. Curbishley needs to take a job very soon or he will never get another one. Palace are very close to where he lives which is something that has been suggested is a sticking point for him, and in the Premier League. I suspect that his salary would be good and he would be abel to say he is a Premier League manager again.

He could even keep them up.

I wouldn't be, at all, surprised if he went there.

However, I really couldn't care less about where he worked. He left us a long time ago and went to West Ham and managed to compare us to them in the media enough to demonstrate that he thought very little of us so what difference does it make if he goes to Palace?
  • Options

If they are the only club that were willing to give him a job, and if sainsburys weren't taking on any troller collecting types then yes this move would get my blessing
    If the fate of the world rested on Curbs joining millwall, I would want the world to end.

Ha ha bit lame! Not quite the effigy of Sol Campbell being strung up in a noose outside White Hart Lane!
    Just showing that he did get stick for it, it wasn't anything major though!
  • Options

He left us a long time ago and went to West Ham and managed to compare us to them in the media enough to demonstrate that he thought very little of us so what difference does it make if he goes to Palace?

Precisely.

• Options
    Mrs Curbs must be needing a new kitchen by now.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Of the last 10 Charlton managers, five have in one capactity or another at some point been on the Crystal Palace payroll (Mullery,Lawrence, Dowie, Pardew, Powell) and one took a job at Millwall (Gritt).

If Curbs follows them, does that make Ken Craggs, Les Reed and Phil Parkinson the only remaining madonnas among the whores?

• Options

Pulis: Bookies' favourite to replace Ian Holloway at Crystal Palace

Former Stoke City boss Tony Pulis has admitted he is getting "itchy feet" about returning to work amid speculation linking him with the Crystal Palace manager's job.

Pulis, who has been out of work since leaving Stoke in the summer, is the odds-on favourite to take over at Palace following Ian Holloway's departure on Wednesday.

Palace co-chairman Steve Parish has confirmed he plans to talk to Pulis about the vacancy and the 55-year-old has hinted he is eager to get back into management.

"Speculation is speculation. I've enjoyed my break but you get itchy feet," admitted Pulis.

'It was important to take a rest. I'm really pleased I've had contact from other clubs but they didn't feel right."

Pulis has been backed for the club by current caretaker boss Keith Millen, who will take charge for Saturday's clash with top-of-the-table Arsenal.

"He knows how to win matches in the Premier League," Millen said of Pulis. "He reminds me of Sam Allardyce - he knows what teams to put out to win with not necessarily the best group of players in the league. And he is very honest and hard-working.

"He has great experience of dealing with Premier League players and that's what we've got now.

"We need a manager to come in who can judge the group very quickly and get the best out of them very quickly. That comes with experience.

"As for Tony's style of play, you win games, don't you? He is one of many names who would be interested in coming here."
  • Options
    Mick McCarthy has been linked with returning to the Republic of Ireland job, that would create a nice vacancy at Ipswich...
  • Options

Mick McCarthy has been linked with returning to the Republic of Ireland job, that would create a nice vacancy at Ipswich...

... for Roy Keane :)
  • Options

Kap10 said:

I for my part have followed Charlton for many years been season ticket holder since'96. But if a head hunter phoned me and said palace wanted a Marketing Director I'd have no qualms about having my cv put forward or working for them.

Hmm. Well I wouldn't do it.

It isn't entirely rational. It would be stretching it to equate this with my old agency's refusal to work on tobacco, BAE or the Tory party, or our current quiet refusal to work on recruitment for tobacco companies out here. But there is a connection. If everything else is equal a marketing person who is really enthusiastic about the 'product' will do a better job than one who is indifferent, or even worse, finds it distasteful

I'd find the idea of marketing Palace stomach-churningly nauseous. They have no heritage, too many of their fans are Johnny-come-lately types, they have nothing in their history, on or off the field, that makes them exceptional.

It's absurd, but I hate the *****, and I'd rather spend a year on the dole than work to help them.

I hope Curbs feels the same way, but I understand it is different for football pros.
    PMSL

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Kap10 said:

I for my part have followed Charlton for many years been season ticket holder since'96. But if a head hunter phoned me and said palace wanted a Marketing Director I'd have no qualms about having my cv put forward or working for them.

Hmm. Well I wouldn't do it.

It isn't entirely rational. It would be stretching it to equate this with my old agency's refusal to work on tobacco, BAE or the Tory party, or our current quiet refusal to work on recruitment for tobacco companies out here. But there is a connection. If everything else is equal a marketing person who is really enthusiastic about the 'product' will do a better job than one who is indifferent, or even worse, finds it distasteful

I'd find the idea of marketing Palace stomach-churningly nauseous. They have no heritage, too many of their fans are Johnny-come-lately types, they have nothing in their history, on or off the field, that makes them exceptional.

It's absurd, but I hate the *****, and I'd rather spend a year on the dole than work to help them.

I hope Curbs feels the same way, but I understand it is different for football pros.
    PMSL

You're opinion is interesting and a bit puzzling to me. To be honest i dont see that many differences between both clubs or their fans. Similar in size, fanbase etc.
    There are not many clubs around for which you can categorically say 'they have no history'. Maybe MK Dons but not Palace. Ours is just a different history.
    As for Curbs, i cant see him coming to us, but if he does, it changes nothing about his history with you - and what a good job he did. Nothing can take those memories from you. Particularly May 2005... ;>) - for which btw i'm totally 'over' .. honest.