Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs whoring himself for Palace job

Comments

• Options
    Such a waste. Tragic.
  • Options
    Paul,

Think you're getting a little worked up about it. It's football, not life and death.

As said by practically everyone on this thread, we would all prefer curbs not to go to Palace. But at the end of the day, it's a job.

Not going to wish him good luck if he takes it, as that would mean they do well, but he's a good bloke and deserves good opportunities.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

I find the word "whoring" in this context to be offensive; grow up. Curbs is a football manager who seemingly wants to manage another club. Does it really matter whether it is CP or Hartlepool United? His choice as to which team he seeks to manage. That simple.

Offensive? Clearly it's you that needs to grow up Peter.

Whoring - "To compromise one's principles for personal gain". By account of more than one above, Curbs has himself previously laughed off the possibility of managing Palace on principle. So this word is evidently an apt and appropriate verb to describe his comments in that video.
    Why would you think he's compromising his principles ? He's a professional football manager. Why should he not be interested in a job when it suits his personal arrangements in terms of status and location ? Oh no. It might upset a few Charlton fans who he was a hero to SEVEN years ago in a job that he was squeezed out of and now contribute nothing to his life whatsoever apart from some no doubt good memories. Peter is correct in every way. Grow up.

I find your opinion quite odd. You seem to equate the prospect of Curbs moving to Palace as being on a par with a former Tesco employee getting a job at Sainsburys.

He was in our employment for two decades and is rightly considered to be a Charlton legend. He now appears to be seeking employment at a club that treated us like shit when we were groundsharing with them, and whose former chairman branded Charlton fans as "morons", and that's just the tip of the iceberg. But you don't consider that to be at all distasteful?

• Options
    I'd be absolutely amazed if he ends up at Palace.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Perhaps it me then. I have never understood the football fan mentality of begrudging anyone that has the audacity to leave "your" club having another job or success.

i tihnk you are completely missing the point.

No one is begrudging that. I think everyone accepts football people are wired differently to fans, and jobs are jobs.

The point is the potential impact on our history and what you class as 'Charlton'.

We have had very little to shout about in our history in terms of footballing achievements, and we've very little which to the wider footballing world as being recognisably identifiable with 'Charlton'.

Curbs is one of them, he is synominous with Charlton.

Becoming Palace's manager would tarnish that.

I don't begrudge him doing it, but it would be putting a big cross through one of the few identiable Charlton things there are that we could proclaim to be 'Charlton'.

You might think i'm being silly, but just my view.
  • Options
    Thanks AFKA - that's well explained and it's comforting to hear that I'm not the only one with those thoughts.
  • Options
    As far as I can see, Curbs is dropping the hint (on TV) that he's far better qualified for many managerial jobs than the people who got them, and that he hasn't retired from the game to just do TV work.
  • Options
    Curbs tends to make a few noises now and again when a job comes up (Fulham being an example), but it doesn't seem like he follows it through. I think he's on record as saying he does as well from TV as managing in the championship, obviously without standing on a touchline in the rain getting blamed for everything.
  • Options

Perhaps it me then. I have never understood the football fan mentality of begrudging anyone that has the audacity to leave "your" club having another job or success.

i tihnk you are completely missing the point.

No one is begrudging that. I think everyone accepts football people are wired differently to fans, and jobs are jobs.

The point is the potential impact on our history and what you class as 'Charlton'.

We have had very little to shout about in our history in terms of footballing achievements, and we've very little which to the wider footballing world as being recognisably identifiable with 'Charlton'.

Curbs is one of them, he is synominous with Charlton.

Becoming Palace's manager would tarnish that.

I don't begrudge him doing it, but it would be putting a big cross through one of the few identiable Charlton things there are that we could proclaim to be 'Charlton'.

You might think i'm being silly, but just my view.
    Wouldn't be the first time I completely miss the point. On the other hand our history is history. Exactly that. It cannot changed or be re written and Curbs was instrumental in that wonderful period that now seems an age ago. We've moved on as a club for better or worse and so has Curbs. I hope he does get the job if he wants it. He deserves that chance. He has earned it in my opinion and I feel the fact that his opportunity might come from the shitehawks down the road doesn't change that for me. I won't wish him success but I can't be doing with all this traitor nonsense. If he ends up Palace manager it won't tarnish what a magnificent job he did for us one bit.

• Options
    but in the same vein smudge and I am a bigger Curbs fan than I am a Powell fan

we owe him the respect to have a career and forge his reputation as a top class prem league manager

I would feel sick and I would have real problems looking at him working for them but I owe him the respect to not hate him for doing so
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'd be absolutely amazed if he ends up at Palace.

I'll be amazed if he manages again ...

• Options
    I think that when he left us he was out of work for just a few months and then performed a miracle keeping West Ham up 2007 and stayed there until the board started selling players from under him...
    By all accounts he went for the Wolves job but was only offered a few months and not 18months + ... if they had not messed about then Wolves would not be in League 1!
    Similarly Palace are all but down but it is what the club looks like in July that matters. I get the comparison to CAFC in the 90s but they just fast forwarded to the Dowie time by jettisoning players who got them there and bringing in 15+ signings...completely destabilising the training ground...

So yes, Curbs could do a job but would prefer he didn't
  • Options
    reading this , i can't recall there being as much antagonism towards Lennie when he turned up at the Eagles and he left us a bit slyly for Boro and even stuck a shitty low ball bid in for Robert Lee when he knew we needed the dough and he was at Charlton during those selhurst park years
  • Options
    didn't have internet forums like this in those days though eh
  • Options

didn't have internet forums like this in those days though eh

When Men were men.
  • Options
    I for one hope he does get the job...so he can sue them like he did wet spam!
  • Options
    Lennie joined palace January 2011
  • Options

Crystal palace might be nearish as the crow flies but its a right fecker to get too by road
    my mate won an auction in the summer (Lords Taverners I think) to play golf with Curbs and I said I'd rather do a boozey lunch/dinner which Curbs agreed to . Nothing has been sorted due to my ailments but I'll try and get something sorted so I can put the heat on him ....
    But if he's palace manager by then I don't think I could stomach it ....

Yes, but where do Palace train every day ? It used to be Beckenham/Sydenham. Copers Cope Road.

Straight through the Blackwall Tunnel onto the A2 going against the traffic & then a short trip down the South Circular.
  • Options
    That South Circular is wank whenever you go on it !
  • Options

That South Circular is wank whenever you go on it !

Agreed but Eltham to Copers Cope is only about 3 miles :-)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure Curbs is gonna turn it down because of a couple of shitty traffic lights on the South Circular mate..
  • Options

He did get stick. A pub in Charlton even had "Lennie what have you done?" written on a chalk board, I think Curb_It took a photo of it.

• Options

Not sure Curbs is gonna turn it down because of a couple of shitty traffic lights on the South Circular mate..

He could play hardball and ask for a helicopter ....
  • Options

They will not appoint Lord Curbs and not even the one true Lord could keep Palace in the Premiership.

Don't blame him for trying though and I would love to see him back in management.
  • Options

He did get stick. A pub in Charlton even had "Lennie what have you done?" written on a chalk board, I think Curb_It took a photo of it.

Woah. Someone should send Curbs the photo of this chalkboard to scare him off taking the job.
  • Options
    Put a fiver on Curbs at 28/1 to be next Palace manager and sky bet turned it into a tenner. Will soften the blow if it happens!
  • Options
    Think Lennie has always made it abudantly clear that whoever his employer is, it's just a job to him, he's never really professed any loyalty to us or dislike of any other club. He'd been gone for 20 years when he went to Palace, having worked at numerous other clubs in the meantime. Still wasn't impressed when he turned up there, but it didn't feel like a betrayal because his previous conduct had never implied that he felt any particular loyalty or special affiliation to us. We went on to greater things after he left as well.

Different situation with Curbs. He's ours and only ours, and he knows that going to Palace would be a very, very wrong thing to do.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

I'd manage Palace for £1m with a £1m bonus if I kept them up, so why wouldn't Curbs?

Would you manage Wolves for £1m with a £1m bonus if you kept them up? Curbs wouldn't.
    Yes.

But Curbs was only offered a short term contract there. Parish is far more sensible than that.

Both of those statements are unfounded assumptions / guesses. The point is that he doesn't need the money he doesn't need the job he would be taking it for the sake of it and betraying Charlton in the process.

rubbish, as someone else said he's a manager not a supporter.

he may not need the money but I'm sure he wants a job back in football, and I'd like to see him back even if it was at at rival club. of course he's gonna be picky on which jobs he may apply for, who wouldn't?

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Think Lennie has always made it abudantly clear that whoever his employer is, it's just a job to him, he's never really professed any loyalty to us or dislike of any other club. He'd been gone for 20 years when he went to Palace, having worked at numerous other clubs in the meantime. Still wasn't impressed when he turned up there, but it didn't feel like a betrayal because his previous conduct had never implied that he felt any particular loyalty or special affiliation to us. We went on to greater things after he left as well.

Different situation with Curbs. He's ours and only ours, and he knows that going to Palace would be a very, very wrong thing to do.

Who Curbs the W Ham fan ?
  • Options
    Put it this way , Curbs to Palace is a bit like Anakin turning to the dark side , get your head round it , it might not happen , but its a job at the end of the day , would i want him to do well at Palace, of course not.