Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs whoring himself for Palace job

Comments

• Options
    I didn't like the title on this thread either but played the interview and was quite surprised by him.

Make you right mr sturgess. Would be very strange.

No curbs!
  • Options
    I really don't think there's much chance that Palace will offer him the job given that the man hasn't managed for the best part of a decade.
  • Options
    If he takes it I hope he gets relegated and never gets a job again.
  • Options

Love the 'he's out of work' blah blah stuff. The bloke will still be earning a month through his occasional media work for foreign outlets more than most of us do in a year !

Thought 'whoring himself' was a strong headline. Now seen that video and don't really disagree with it.

Would hate to see him there, but can see it happening

Apart from his media work let's not forget the £2m compensation payout from Wet Spam which even at current low interest rates, would yield circa £60k per annum on deposit. No doubt he has investments and business interests yielding a better return than 3% though.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Why is that then?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Love the 'he's out of work' blah blah stuff. The bloke will still be earning a month through his occasional media work for foreign outlets more than most of us do in a year !

Thought 'whoring himself' was a strong headline. Now seen that video and don't really disagree with it.

Apart from his media work let's not forget the £2m compensation payout from Wet Spam which even at current low interest rates, would yield circa £60k per annum on deposit. No doubt he has investments and business interests yielding a better return than 3% though.
    so he didn't pay tax on the compensation or interest payments ?
  • Options

He's been out of work for ages and rejected many better jobs than this -

tell me what the many better jobs were ?

Hull who were going down and miles away when we all know he wants one a bit closer to home
    Wolves offered him a 13 game contract which is an insult to a manager of Curbs's calibre

• Options

RedChaser said:

so he didn't pay tax on the compensation or interest payments ?
    Probably, most people do unless they have it invested offshore :-) what do you think?
  • Options
    i think that he couldn't live as he'd like off the interest !
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

dizzee said:

Why is that then?
    Are you going to be supporting him to keep them lot up?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbs said that the palace chairman wanted someone with more top flight experience and he has experience and said what his experience was
    i think everyone is too over analytical on what he said

in my pissed conversation a couple of years back i asked if he'd ever manage palace or millwall and he did say 'no way' but he was hammered as well
  • Options

i think that he couldn't live as he'd like off the interest !

Where did I say that ? I said in addition to his media work. Merely pointing out he is likely to have additional income streams from his compensation pay out plus the capital to draw down if he wishes to supplement it.
  • Options
    It is seven years on. Not like he left us to join them. Imagine if it was other way round and we nicked one of their managers. ...
  • Options
    dizzee said:

PopIcon said:

dizzee said:

Why is that then?
    Are you going to be supporting him to keep them lot up?
    No I'll be supporting Charlton, you?
  • Options
    Ye I'll be supporting us and whatever team plays palace that weekend.
  • Options
    jeez........the guy has been out of management for about 2 years and if he doesn't get a gig soon will be an outcast along with Hoddle, Southgate etc etc. Who are we to stop him from earning a crust for Christ sake !!

I despair for some on here.............
  • Options

jeez........the guy has been out of management for about 2 years and if he doesn't get a gig soon will be an outcast along with Hoddle, Southgate etc etc. Who are we to stop him from earning a crust for Christ sake !!

I despair for some on here.............

Two years??? I think you will find its 5 years.
  • Options
    I'm curious as a follower of curbs what jobs has he turned down

Wolves is the only one I know of and the reasons were clear. He was in the frame for other teams ... Hull and Ipswich spring to mind but never offered them.

I for my part have followed Charlton for many years been season ticket holder since'96. But if a head hunter phoned me and said palace wanted a Marketing Director I'd have no qualms about having my cv put forward or working for them.
  • Options
    This thread is too long. The whole situation can be summed up in two points:-

1) If he's offered the job on his terms he'll take it.

2) He won't be offered the job.

They are not alternatives, they are facts and are obviously mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    Oohahh wont be sleeping
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Addickted said:

I'd manage Palace for £1m with a £1m bonus if I kept them up, so why wouldn't Curbs?

As would every single Charlton fan, I'm sure. I find the suggestion that Curbs is "whoring himself" far more objectionable and offensive than the prospect of him managing Palace.

I would. I'm sure I'd do my very best. Part time training, playing 5-a-side matches using a medicine ball, Deep fried food only to be served in the canteen. Yep, I'd take it....................
  • Options
    ffs it's just a job. Loyalty in football like all walks of life = money.
  • Options
    I remember when Lennie Lawrence went over there, defending him and being a bit surprised at some of the hostility directed towards him. Perhaps that was because I started supporting Charlton post-Lennie (well, no "perhaps" about it - that's definitely the reason).

I started regularly going to the valley the year before Curbs took sole charge, and so spent 10 years watching us grow with him at the helm. I could not and will never say a bad word about the man. I wouldn't blame him if he took said job... but I would be absolutely gutted.
  • Options
    I wouldn't blame him if he went to Palace, but I would still hate it. Simple reason - I would desperately want him to fail, and I would much rather he went elsewhere and I could genuinely wish him well.
  • Options
    It's pure business for players and managers, nothing else.

It's no different to any of us taking a job with a company that has been a business rival in the past.
  • Options
    What amazes me is that he would even be considered! Pulis and DiMatteo must be light years in front of Curbs. The only Palace consideration may be that Curbs would coss less? Be honest, if something happened to SCP Curbs would be very low down our list of people we wanted to Manage?
  • Options
    Wouldn't bother me at all. We've got CP. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Can't see him getting back into management now. Like George Graham, his expectations are not what others are of him...
  • Options
    It wouldn't be nice if Curbs ended up there

It'd be like your ex girlfriend , who you had the most amazing loving relationship with , which ended by you both mutually agreeing to go your separate ways(she dumped you), turning up with a geeky harmless fella down the road
    He was a bit of a spotty twat and it's hard to admit but he is currently a bit more successful , better looking and has a bit of personality about him (and can be heard when he sings)
    You can't believe she'll end up with him , you hoped she had better taste but at the end of the day they're all whores
    She may not even go there , let's hope she's got a bit more class and we don't have to see the two of them frolicking and cavorting in public and the geeky twat might not even want her
    We have to move on we've had some right munters since that relationship , yep those slags may have had a bigger personality than our ex but when it came down to it they were shit in bed and couldn't produce results but we currently have a real hot lover who is very special and let's love and cherish this beauty she's definitely worth being with

Wibble wibble wibble

• Options
    Kap10 said:

I'm curious as a follower of curbs what jobs has he turned down

Wolves is the only one I know of and the reasons were clear. He was in the frame for other teams ... Hull and Ipswich spring to mind but never offered them.

I for my part have followed Charlton for many years been season ticket holder since'96. But if a head hunter phoned me and said palace wanted a Marketing Director I'd have no qualms about having my cv put forward or working for them.

He only turned down wolves because they wouldn't pay him £100k if he kept them up in the prem.