Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most famous sports person youv met ??

Comments

• Options
    Peter Beardsley had a long conversation with him in a box at Newcastle. He's an Arsenal season ticket holder & said Walcott doesnt have a football brain & the best player he ever played with was John Barnes.
  • Options
    Bradley Wiggins, Chris Hoy and David Weir, all were nice and chatty.

i also met John Charles of Leeds and Juventus fame years ago when i was really young. Didn't understand at the time how good he was in his prime.

• Options
    John Barnes
  • Options
    Pele
  • Options
    Played darts with twice World Championship finalists Dave Whitcombe when we both worked at Chatham Dockyard in the Electrical Workshop. We had a darts board setup in the workshop and used to play at lunchtimes. (before he embarked on his pro darts career!)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    *Retracted post on account of being too hungover to know what the hell I'm doing.*
  • Options
    Shane Warne, Dennis Compton, Imran Khan and......Abdul Razzaq.
  • Options
    Chrissy Powell!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I slapped Stallone on the arm and told him he was my hero. He 'fake punched' my chin.

Asked Will Smith when he might have to give up action movies. He ran around the room pretending to be out of breath and said "when I get like this!"

My best mate interviewed the cast of Lost and ended up in a jacuzzi in Hawaii with John Locke and a large joint. He also interviewed Mena Suvari and got a date out of it. Legend.

I didn't know any of them were sports people? ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dan Marino.

When I say "met" .... I literally walked into him coming out of ESPN on Times Square. He knocked me flying - he's a big lump.
  • Options
    Wolf from the Gladiators - does he count?
  • Options
    Ross said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I slapped Stallone on the arm and told him he was my hero. He 'fake punched' my chin.

Asked Will Smith when he might have to give up action movies. He ran around the room pretending to be out of breath and said "when I get like this!"

My best mate interviewed the cast of Lost and ended up in a jacuzzi in Hawaii with John Locke and a large joint. He also interviewed Mena Suvari and got a date out of it. Legend.

I didn't know any of them were sports people? ;-)
    Sorry, I didn't see the 'sports' in the title!! I blame the bosses for holding the xmas party on a Tuesday.
  • Options
    Kent_red said:

Wolf from the Gladiators - does he count?

By the look of him, I'd guess not very well. ;-)
  • Options
    Most famous footballer would probably be Geoff Hurst, Alan Ball or Keegan

Non football - Muhammad Ali
  • Options
    I once interviewed Alan Curbishley while he was in his underpants. True story. He was getting changed for training.
  • Options
    sat next to mike Tyson on a plane from Manchester to London a few years ago
  • Options

I have taken John Hollins' order a few times in my dad's restaurant in Eltham, back in the old days when he was an Arsenal player.

Hold on, you don't mean the old Chinese restaurant on Well Hall road opposite the Church? (Shining Pearl?)
  • Options
    Got Psst with Michael Atherton once - didn't know who he was at the time even though he was at the peak of his England career.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In no particular order:

John Snow - England fast bowler

Brian Luckhurst - Kent and England batsman

Conrad Hunte - West Indian batsman

Gerald Davies - Wales and British Lions Rugby Union three quarter

Geoff Capes - Shot putter and Worlds strongest man

Stuart Storey - Olympic hurdler, coach and commentator.

Various former Charlton and Gillingham footballers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done work for Darren Campbell MBE (Olympic gold medalist sprinter) and Kyran Bracken (England and Lions rugby, also won dancing on ice)

Met and shook hands with Henry Olonga, still without doubt the bravest man I've ever shook hands with.

May well think/know more.
  • Options
    tommyr said:

i also met John Charles of Leeds and Juventus fame years ago when i was really young. Didn't understand at the time how good he was in his prime.

I've met Jeremy Charles a few times as he is a good friend of a friend of mine. He's the son of Mel Charles.
  • Options
    Francois Pienaar, SA world cup skipper 95, Ernie Els, Nick Price, Colin Montgomery , Phil Mickleson and Sam Torrance all while working as a chef in Sun City in 95, most at the Million dollar. Heard Ernie use the F word when he couldn't get the lid off the ketchup at breakfast, went up in my estimation as did all the golfers, really friendly and easy going bunch.
  • Options
    Barry Sheene circa 75 - he told me to piss off!
    Carl Fogarty - I told him to piss off
    Nigel Benn - I pissed him right off!
    And the most famous? Our Killer!
  • Options
    Recently , Clive Woodward, Kelly Holmes. Both did after dinner stuff for our company. She is fabulous. Got her gongs out for us to see (in more ways than one!). He was ok but less outgoing. Didn't see his gongs!.

Years ago, Gary Player and jack Nicklaus. Both real gents.
  • Options
    one man's fame is another man's ignominy:

Amongst the many sportsmen and women I have met, Mike Tyson stands out .. just as a 'presence', not necessarily as a nice man or otherwise .. very nice men ? .. Graham Gooch, Mike Atherton, Sir Geoff Hurst, Gordon Banks, Bobby Moore, Pat Cash, Mary Peters, Henry Cooper ... so many more .. the older they are usually the nicer they are .. Except for Boycott G ((:>)
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Rafael van der vaart during the Olympics, Had my picture with him but wished it was with his Mrs instead, she is a stunner

They have separated. @Nicholas you may have a chance of a date never mind a photograph.

Greenster said:

Peter Beardsley had a long conversation with him in a box at Newcastle. He's an Arsenal season ticket holder & said Walcott doesnt have a football brain & the best player he ever played with was John Barnes.

Bumped into him in the street and was in mid conversation when a taxi pulled up. The driver jumped out and had Beardsley sign things for himself, his children, his brother and various others.

@Greenster is he based in the South now?
  • Options
    Met Geoff Hurst at a book signing, don't know if that really counts? The only famous sportsmen who would know who I was are Rob Green and bowls player ( and fellow Addick ) Andy Thompson.
  • Options
    Barry McGuigan in a sandwich shop in Chelsea and Alastair Cook at the Premier League darts (he was wasted but very friendly).
  • Options
    A number of years ago I won a prize to visit Football Focus studios when Ray Stubbs was the presenter I met him and Mick McCarthy