Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lomas sacked/Holloway Appointed at Millwall

Comments

• Options
    Holloway's latest view

MILLWALL will not give up their place in the Championship without a fight.
    That was the message of manager Ian Holloway after Tuesday's 3-2 defeat to Birmingham left the Lions bottom of the table.
    With eight games of the season still to play, Holloway says his side need 15 more points to survive - and he is confident they can get them.
    And Holloway insists he will not give up hope until it is mathematically impossible for Millwall to stay in the second tier.
    He said: "While there is every ounce of fight and spirit in the players, I believe we can do it.
    "Everybody will write us off now but not me and not us. I'm sick and fed up of talking, it's all about actions now.
    "There are enough games left - 24 points to play for and I think we can drop nine of them and still stay up.
    "From now on, it would be nice if we got a few wins now otherwise everybody will probably give up. But the more that the pressure goes off of us, the more relaxed we can be.
    "Losing to Birmingham was about as bad a result as I have had in my career but I still feel positive.
    "The truth is, after what I said in the dressing room, I think the players will feel the same."
    Holloway also reiterated that he will remain at the club even if the Lions are relegated to League One.
    He said: "I want to be here longer than Kenny Jackett was, but I want to win, I want to help this group and it's really hurting me.
    "I want to set this club up right, long term, because I believe in the people here and I believe in myself. I believe in us.
    "On Tuesday, you saw 'us' - that group is starting to feel like 'us'. When I first came in it was 'me' or 'I'.
    "Now they are hurting together and that's the difference, and I believe that will be enough.
    "I'm gutted for everyone and myself, and I'm totally determined to get this right.
    "If you look at my history, I went down with QPR and I stayed because I wanted to put that right, and three years later we went back up.
    "I don't quit on things. People might think I did at Crystal Palace, but I can tell you I didn't.
    "I will look at my part in this situation, look at what I've done, what I've changed and who I'm picking.
    "The fans were brilliant on Tuesday and I'm sorry for the plight we're in, but we've still got life in us and we're still going to fight.
    "Our crowd kept us going, going and going, and we're going to need that again when we play Blackburn on Saturday because this is going to have to be one hell of a turnaround.
    "But I believe we can do it and that's what I've said to the players - they are the ones giving me that belief."
  • Options

Richard J said:

& average attendances aren't the only measure of a clubs size.

Agreed, success is another one, which is why it's hilarious that you think millwall are a similar size club to Sheffield Utd! They're a bigger club than us IMO. I would say we're a similar size Coventry, Preston and Bristol City. Millwall are similar in size to Swindon.

I see Millwall as being similar to Barnsley and Bristol City in so much as they have played briefly in the top flight and would mainly yo yo between the Championship and League One.
    You clearly can't read then, as I said Sheffield are bigger than us.

Fair enough, I assume you meant to quote my post? You did have ever say Millwall who have spent 2 seasons in the top flight are similar in size to the 1987 fa cup winners though!
  • Options
    A win against Blackburn will change the picture considerably. When only 3 points are what separates the bottom three anything can happen. Millwall are no way out of it at all. But if they do go down Berylson will have another big deficit to cover. I really do not understand why he pumps so much investment into them. Must just love hearing the 'Milllllllll' chant I guess?
  • Options
    millwall took a strategy that didnt work. young hungry manager who has a squad of experienced championship level players but maybe past their peak. sometiems plans dont work as we all know...
  • Options

A win against Blackburn will change the picture considerably. When only 3 points are what separates the bottom three anything can happen. Millwall are no way out of it at all. But if they do go down Berylson will have another big deficit to cover. I really do not understand why he pumps so much investment into them. Must just love hearing the 'Milllllllll' chant I guess?

Conned by Theo Paphitis,
    Fooled by thinking Millwall would attract corporate clients from the city,
    Mugged by Lewisham council selling the redevelopment land.
    Can see him walking.
  • Options
    See he's brought another player in - Carlos Edwards from Ipswich.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    "If you look at my history, I went down with QPR and I stayed because I wanted to put that right, and three years later we went back up.
    3 years to get QPR back up again, not sure I'd want to be bringing that up to be honest :-)
  • Options
    "I don't quit on things. People might think I did at Crystal Palace, but I can tell you I didn't"

He appears to be the only person in the world who doesn't think he quit on Palace.....I mean really!?

The mans a deluded idiot. Long may he reign at Millwall!
  • Options

Millwall taking 200 to leeds. I can't help but think of the phrase "Bottled it".

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/13417
  • Options

Millwall taking 200 to leeds. I can't help but think of the phrase "Bottled it".

That article is dated 8th March 2013

And you reap what you sow , the decent fans suffer due to the high percentage of helms that follow the scum
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought that nearly all the spanners came out for a game against the bubbles, as it's their semi final game.
  • Options

And you reap what you sow , the decent fans suffer due to the high percentage of helms that follow the scum
    So it was dated from last year? So what? Same thing still goes on.

• Options

So it was dated from last year? So what? Same thing still goes on.

What time was kick off? (that's the time the football match started not fighting btw)
  • Options
    Yeah the kick off was different, but it's still a bubble match. Why would you bother with one of them? Footballs boring enough as it is these days without all that caper. Last time we played Leeds away on a Saturday before the restrictions came we took just short of 900 up there, and we was fighting relegation in league one then.
  • Options
    So what.
  • Options

Yeah the kick off was different, but it's still a bubble match. Why would you bother with one of them? Footballs boring enough as it is these days without all that caper. Last time we played Leeds away on a Saturday before the restrictions came we took just short of 900 up there, and we was fighting relegation in league one then.

Following the Spanners, I can understand that statement.
    I'd give up if I was you as next year the Toolbox will seem bubbled every week (5k gates) and your sure to be bubbled for all the away matches.

• Options

Conned by Theo Paphitis,
    Can see him walking.
    How was he conned by Paphitus?
  • Options

Following the Spanners, I can understand that statement.
    I'd give up if I was you as next year the Toolbox will seem bubbled every week (5k gates) and your sure to be bubbled for all the away matches.

I think you'd be able to understand that statement because you've watched most of your football over the years at The Valium. Zzzzz
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Conned by Theo Paphitis,
    Can see him walking.
    Yep, there was quite a big gap between Paphitis and Berylson. Other than that, amazed how much you lot know about our club. And 13 page thread on us? And we're YOUR cup final?? Obsessed springs to mind.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Conned by Theo Paphitis,
    Can see him walking.
    Yep, there was quite a big gap between Paphitis and Berylson. Other than that, amazed how much you lot know about our club. And 13 page thread on us? And we're YOUR cup final?? Obsessed springs to mind.

says he who is on a Charlton forum..again. Do you have discussions like this on yours? Or is it all c*nt, mug etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with The Vallium quote. Nice one spanner.
  • Options
    Fair enough if Millwall are boycotting "bubble" matches - why do these matches only take place in Yorkshire?
    Oddly enough, the guy who wrote the article from 2013 is a Palace fan which I suppose is practicing solidarity.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Conned by Theo Paphitis,
    Can see him walking.

2 weeks ago your crowd v us was 16k. On saturday your crowd was less than 9k. You lot must've all been skint after turning out for your biggest game of the season. Your biggest crowd is always against us. Our biggest crowd is never against you. I think it's quite clear that we are YOUR cup final. Thanks for coming.
    The game against you was the one everyone thought would save us and condemn you. We didn't get the result and now everyone has given up and preparing for Division 3 next season.

Funnily enough, very few teams, if any, have their biggest crowds of the season against us. It doesn't take a genius to work out why, as people on here comment quite regularly on why people are turned off from seeing a Millwall match.
  • Options

Funnily enough, very few teams, if any, have their biggest crowds of the season against us. It doesn't take a genius to work out why, as people on here comment quite regularly on why people are turned off from seeing a Millwall match.
    Yes. Your dogshit.
  • Options

sorted that for you
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Conned by Theo Paphitis,
    Can see him walking.

2 weeks ago your crowd v us was 16k. On saturday your crowd was less than 9k. You lot must've all been skint after turning out for your biggest game of the season. Your biggest crowd is always against us. Our biggest crowd is never against you. I think it's quite clear that we are YOUR cup final. Thanks for coming.
    The game against you was the one everyone thought would save us and condemn you. We didn't get the result and now everyone has given up and preparing for Division 3 next season.

That's really sad if it's true. I don't think any of the teams in the bottom four are unable to get out of it. I do think that Birmingham (especially after they beat you) are going to be ok now but if I'm right (and it is a rare occurrence) then there is still one place for the bottom four to fight over. Giving up with ten games to go is tragic, especially when you were still 4th from bottom after we played you.
  • Options
    Interesting .

The crowd at the Toolbox the other Saturday was the quietest I have heard for a long time. If they really believed that it would condemn us then why didn't they create the intimidating atmosphere which is normally there when we visit them ?

It is a fact that Millwall's highest crowds over the past 5 years are against Charlton yet when we play the Spanners at the Valley despite the away end being full the crowd would be approximately only around our average figure.

Despite this there is an insistence that we are not as big rivals as West Ham , a club that the Lions play competitively on average once every 10 years. In my opinion that rivalry is about delusions of grandeur or it is not about football but groups of hooligans or historical dockers disputes.

In terms of a football rivalry Millwall have played Orient far more times than West Ham, so given the fact that the Spanners are really an East London club maybe the O's are their natural rivals.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Conned by Theo Paphitis,
    Can see him walking.

That's really sad if it's true. I don't think any of the teams in the bottom four are unable to get out of it. I do think that Birmingham (especially after they beat you) are going to be ok now but if I'm right (and it is a rare occurrence) then there is still one place for the bottom four to fight over. Giving up with ten games to go is tragic, especially when you were still 4th from bottom after we played you.
    3 years of gradual painful declince has seemed to take it's toll. Seems many are convinced we're relegated.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Interesting .

The crowd at the Toolbox the other Saturday was the quietest I have heard for a long time. If they really believed that it would condemn us then why didn't they create the intimidating atmosphere which is normally there when we visit them ?

It is a fact that Millwall's highest crowds over the past 5 years are against Charlton yet when we play the Spanners at the Valley despite the away end being full the crowd would be approximately only around our average figure.

Despite this there is an insistence that we are not as big rivals as West Ham , a club that the Lions play competitively on average once every 10 years. In my opinion that rivalry is about delusions of grandeur or it is not about football but groups of hooligans or historical dockers disputes.

In terms of a football rivalry Millwall have played Orient far more times than West Ham, so given the fact that the Spanners are really an East London club maybe the O's are their natural rivals.

The atmosphere was crap because the football is dire and Charlton games are always relatively tame. I wouldn't say any have been particularly intimidating.

You know more about Millwall than most on here, so the comment about the West Ham rivalry is a little silly coming from you Richard.