Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lomas sacked/Holloway Appointed at Millwall

Comments

• Options
    Maybe it's a Boro thing...I think we can say the same happened with Jimmy Floyd.

I thought he was a great signing when we got him, based on his goal-scoring at the Riverside. Sadly the only people who profited, apart from JFH, were the makers of the XXXXXXL shorts he wore!
  • Options

I know a lot of people on here we're impressed with their summer transfer activity, but is always thought the squad they'd assembled had flaws and thought they would struggle. Nicky Bailey is the most over rated player I've ever seen play for Charlton.

Nonetheless, I'm surprised to see them doing quite as badly as they are. Enjoying it though!

The players were good on paper based on out of date form. Almost every signing has not performed for a year or so. All players on their way down which were hoping to bring back up to previous levels.

From a glass half full view we were signing a lot of experienced potential that if replicated previous form would do well.

Glass half empty view was that we signed multiple players whose careers are on the downward trend and we were their last stop off for decent money.

The latter has happened.
    That's what I was trying to say in that thread the other day!

I wonder if the big earners have relegation clauses in their contracts?

I reckon the likes of Morison, McDonald, Bailey and the other older players would struggle to get new Championship deals so Millwall might be stuck with them unless they pay them out.

Got to say that I never thought the Lomas thing would work, it had echoes of Jimmy Nicholl in 1996 in terms of bringing in a manager from Scotland who'd not managed in England.
  • Options
    Could never understand why Boro bought a player (Bailey) who's main strength was getting into the box from midfield and scoring goals to then play him as a holding midfield player.
  • Options

From a Millwall site:

"Been saying it for weeks, players out of position, players who haven't been deemed good enough thrown into the squad, different formations every 20 minutes, it's like a 9 year old playing Football manager"

"Needs to take full responsibility for that.
    1. 343 with our best centrehalf on the bench
    2. Woolford at left back one on one against their main player.
    3. Mcdonald in centre midfield
    4. Jimi on the right hand side of the midfield 3.
    5. 4 centre forwards on the pitch and no c*** who can cross a ball.

A simple formation with players in position and we would have won that. Thats us down now."

"Just as bad,may be worse than lomas .
    Signing's fu*king no better than conference ,
    The time he's had any manager worth he's due we'd be safe by now.
    Basically what I'm saying he's nicking a wage ,we're get relegated & the cu*t will quit"

Thanks for these quotes, now I know where to go for my weekly dose of erudite conversation.
  • Options

I know a lot of people on here we're impressed with their summer transfer activity, but is always thought the squad they'd assembled had flaws and thought they would struggle. Nicky Bailey is the most over rated player I've ever seen play for Charlton.

Nonetheless, I'm surprised to see them doing quite as badly as they are. Enjoying it though!

The players were good on paper based on out of date form. Almost every signing has not performed for a year or so. All players on their way down which were hoping to bring back up to previous levels.

From a glass half full view we were signing a lot of experienced potential that if replicated previous form would do well.

Glass half empty view was that we signed multiple players whose careers are on the downward trend and we were their last stop off for decent money.

The latter has happened.
    It's a very easy mistake to make. With money as tight as it is and with players wages being so high it only takes one bad transfer window and clubs can take years to recover. As has been said above, if these players can't/won't move on there is a chance that next season could be very tough financially.

With all due respect I don't think Millwall are a big enough club to be expected to get promoted without a little something extra - exceptionally good signings or youth players and/or a very talented manager. There are more than enough clubs in League One that are bigger than Millwall. Your stay down there, should you go, could be a long one.

I can't, in all honesty, say that I hope I'm wrong!
  • Options

The latter has happened.
    It's a very easy mistake to make. With money as tight as it is and with players wages being so high it only takes one bad transfer window and clubs can take years to recover. As has been said above, if these players can't/won't move on there is a chance that next season could be very tough financially.

With all due respect I don't think Millwall are a big enough club to be expected to get promoted without a little something extra - exceptionally good signings or youth players and/or a very talented manager. There are more than enough clubs in League One that are bigger than Millwall. Your stay down there, should you go, could be a long one.

I can't, in all honesty, say that I hope I'm wrong!
    Typically seems to be a 3-5 year stay down there, a year to shed the rubbish, a year stabilising, a year starting to rebuild, then 1 or 2 years to get promotion.

As you say, we aren't big enough in this division to splash the cash, there is a big gap opening up with the haves & have nots, to be successful in this league we need to be run a lot better from the youth system up. Like you say, you need that little bit extra through uncovering a few rough diamonds or a manager who thrives in that environment.

Not sure there are plenty of clubs in the 3rd division bigger than us though, looking at it there's probably 1 clear bigger club (assuming Wolves go up) and 3 others around the same size.
  • Options
    Sheff utd are bigger than Millwall and will come good.
  • Options

Sheff utd are bigger than Millwall and will come good.

That's the one team that are. (assuming Wolves are up)
    Coventry, Bristol and Preston all a similar size I'd say.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    IF, Millwall are relegated I think it's safe to assume Holloway will be gone. Whoever replaces him will be the most important decision that the club have to make. I think it's fair to say that with the notable exception of Jackett the choices made for Millwall manager have been lamentable for what must be at least 25 years.
  • Options
    I suspect that after three seasons your average will be below 8k and there are, currently, eight teams with an average above that in League One.

I wasn't suggesting that they are all bigger than you but as you're not much bigger than them it is going to need that something extra to finish above enough of them to go up.
  • Options

IF, Millwall are relegated I think it's safe to assume Holloway will be gone. Whoever replaces him will be the most important decision that the club have to make. I think it's fair to say that with the notable exception of Jackett the choices made for Millwall manager have been lamentable for what must be at least 25 years.

Makes me feel a little sick to say it but the Millwall Chairman and Chris Powell would be a good team. If backs his managers as far as he can financially and tends to give them a fair amount of time. Powell clearly has a track record in League one. Doubt CP would set his sights that low again though.

Right, I need to have a shower; I feel so unclean.

I've just thrown up Henry, thanks

:(
  • Options

Apparently not.

My mate who follows the Spanners reckons that Berylson will keep Holloway because he holds Lomas responsible for their position and they have apparently made an agreement to stick together if they are relegated .Holloway himself has brought in 8 players Bessone,Campbell ,Fredricks,Garvan,Jackson,Maierhofer ,Upson and Williams, so it is not as if he has not had the opportunity to refresh the squad .
  • Options
    I'd assume Sheffield United would be clear league one favourites next season but after that it's a free for all. No reason why Millwall won't be in and around the top 4-5 sides and couldn't come straight back up
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Apparently not.

My mate who follows the Spanners reckons that Berylson will keep Holloway because he holds Lomas responsible for their position and they have apparently made an agreement to stick together if they are relegated .Holloway himself has brought in 8 players Bessone,Campbell ,Fredricks,Garvan,Jackson,Maierhofer ,Upson and Williams, so it is not as if he has not had the opportunity to refresh the squad .
    Holloway never stays put though does he. He's just as likely to throw a wobbly and walk as he is to get sacked. I also suspect if he gets them relegated he will be hounded out by the fans. I just don't see Holloway rising above the abuse.

If Berylson is astute enough to recognise that Lomas was responsible for much of their plight then I also expect he's aware that despite considerable financial support it is starting to look like Holloway has made things worse. I somehow doubt there is any agreement to "stick together" regardless of calamitous levels of failure. I suppose we can hope though.

• Options
    http://www.millwall-history.org.uk/Millwall Managers.htm

A fascinating insight into a catalogue of catastrophic appointments. It's even worse than I thought since Mick Mac left in February 1996.
  • Options
    Holloway has been in charge since early January and has signed almost a whole new team. It's harsh to lay the blame solely with Lomas, especially as Millwall weren't even in the bottom 3 when Holloway took over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2014

I suspect that after three seasons your average will be below 8k and there are, currently, eight teams with an average above that in League One.

I wasn't suggesting that they are all bigger than you but as you're not much bigger than them it is going to need that something extra to finish above enough of them to go up.

You have to go back to the darkest days in recent history when McCarthy left, Nicholl took us down and we went in to administration to find average attendances below 8k.

No doubt if it's a painful 3 years they would drop, but if we're building a team again and things are exciting like 2000/01, we averaged over 11k.

& average attendances aren't the only measure of a clubs size.
  • Options

Richard J said:

Apparently not.

Holloway never stays put though does he. He's just as likely to throw a wobbly and walk as he is to get sacked. I also suspect if he gets them relegated he will be hounded out by the fans. I just don't see Holloway rising above the abuse.

If Berylson is astute enough to recognise that Lomas was responsible for much of their plight then I also expect he's aware that despite considerable financial support it is starting to look like Holloway has made things worse. I somehow doubt there is any agreement to "stick together" regardless of calamitous levels of failure. I suppose we can hope though.

I am only reporting what a mate told me , I had expressed the same view as you.

Some here complained about Powell and his tactics and I agree that sometimes his decisions were strange.

Holloway though seems to be in a league of his own . For some games he has played 4 strikers together and played some out of position. Against us it didn't take a genius to work out his plan b once Maierhofer came on. On Tuesday according to reports he moved Woolford to Left Back and once more resorted to hoof ball.

I notice former Spanner Sam Allardyce copped some stick last night from the crowd at Upton Park because of the style of play wasn't 'the West Ham way'.Hoof ball Holloway is lucky that they are not such football purists at the Toolbox.
  • Options
    All this talk makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
  • Options

Agreed, success is another one, which is why it's hilarious that you think millwall are a similar size club to Sheffield Utd! They're a bigger club than us IMO. I would say we're a similar size Coventry, Preston and Bristol City. Millwall are similar in size to Swindon.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Agreed, success is another one, which is why it's hilarious that you think millwall are a similar size club to Sheffield Utd! They're a bigger club than us IMO. I would say we're a similar size Coventry, Preston and Bristol City. Millwall are similar in size to Swindon.

I see Millwall as being similar to Barnsley and Bristol City in so much as they have played briefly in the top flight and would mainly yo yo between the Championship and League One.
  • Options
    I still think they should have got Dennis Wise back.
  • Options
    I've heard that should Millwall drop, the chairman will be looking to get rid. He's had enough of flogging the dead horse.
  • Options
    I'm sure Millwall are no exception here, but looking at that list, they've had more managers since 1990 (21) than in the 70 years previous (19). Just sums up how quickly chairman panic these days I suppose............
  • Options

I'm sure Millwall are no exception here, but looking at that list, they've had more managers since 1990 (21) than in the 70 years previous (19). Just sums up how quickly chairman panic these days I suppose............
    And check out the longevity of the appointments.

• Options
    Richard J said:

I see Millwall as being similar to Barnsley and Bristol City in so much as they have played briefly in the top flight and would mainly yo yo between the Championship and League One.
    You clearly can't read then, as I said Sheffield are bigger than us.