Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lomas sacked/Holloway Appointed at Millwall

Comments

• Options
    vff said:

Into the bottom 3 you go Ian. Won't be long before you lose the plot now as the natives won't be too pleased at being replaced by us in drop zone and will be on your back soon enough. Tick tock.

Millwall's problem is that Lomas spunked the budget on far too many "comfortable" players such as Nicky Bailey and Scott McDonald.

Fair point, but Holloway has signed the likes of Simeon Jackson, DJ Campbell, Upson, Bessone, Fredericks from Spurs, Owen Garvan, so he's been fairly well backed too.
    Absolutely, they have certainly spent a lot of money - the irony being that Jackett was given no money and had them in a comfortable position!

As I said earlier I think there is always a risk bringing too many 30+ players in who are effectively on their last contract and this is the case with Campbell, Bailey (30 next birthday), McDonald and Bessone.
    McDonald looked our best player under Lomas. DJ has looked ok.

Bailey is lazy & overweight. Bessone has only been here a few weeks.

Thing is McDonald has only scored three goals all season - poor return from a big wage earner - and anything you spend on him and Bailey is dead money.

You do need older heads but I don't think you're going to get your money's worth out of McDonald and Bailey.
    I agree. McDonald hasn't got anywhere near his form he had a few years ago now. But it's been our problem since Steve Morison left, we aren't scoring goals.

We only stayed up last year because of Chris Wood. Without him we'd have been down. Jackett stopped progressing after our first season in the championship. It was woeful last season and was going downhill the year before that too.
    Don't support Millwall, thank feck for that.

I am guessing that KJ would have done a lot better with all the money that Lomas / Holloway has spent if he had stayed. KJ did get Millwall to the Semi final last season, which I guess may have helped fund the rebuild of the team. As a Charlton supporter, I am happy at the Lomas / Holloway managerial stint. Holloway may have been better from the start of the season / not mid. Holloway seems unusually desperate and a bit depressed.

I am glad that KJ is no longer there as even after Wood went, he managed to help organise the team to pull out a few key victories that kept Millwall up last season. That was more of a difficult proposition last season points wise. I would be more worried with KJ still in charge this season.

I don't have to suffer to watch the Millwall team week in / week out, so Millwall supporters will have a clearer opinion on their managers, past and present. Always good to see Millwall below Charlton. That improved my mood greatly this week.

Jackett left as he felt he couldn't take them any further. More money or not, he couldn't do any more.

He is working at his best level. He hit the wall with Swansea, he hit the wall with us, he'll get Wolves to a position and do the same.

He is excellent at organisation and getting the most out of limited players, producing teams that are fit with a good work ethic. The next level, where you need to develop tactically and the way you play football, along with identifying players, he seems to struggle with.

The appointment this summer was crucial to take us to the next level, but Lomas was a huge cock up.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

blockquote class="Quote" rel="Sparrows Lane Lion">
    vff said:

Into the bottom 3 you go Ian. Won't be long before you lose the plot now as the natives won't be too pleased at being replaced by us in drop zone and will be on your back soon enough. Tick tock.

Millwall's problem is that Lomas spunked the budget on far too many "comfortable" players such as Nicky Bailey and Scott McDonald.

Fair point, but Holloway has signed the likes of Simeon Jackson, DJ Campbell, Upson, Bessone, Fredericks from Spurs, Owen Garvan, so he's been fairly well backed too.
    Absolutely, they have certainly spent a lot of money - the irony being that Jackett was given no money and had them in a comfortable position!

As I said earlier I think there is always a risk bringing too many 30+ players in who are effectively on their last contract and this is the case with Campbell, Bailey (30 next birthday), McDonald and Bessone.

Thing is McDonald has only scored three goals all season - poor return from a big wage earner - and anything you spend on him and Bailey is dead money.

You do need older heads but I don't think you're going to get your money's worth out of McDonald and Bailey.
    I agree. McDonald hasn't got anywhere near his form he had a few years ago now. But it's been our problem since Steve Morison left, we aren't scoring goals.

We only stayed up last year because of Chris Wood. Without him we'd have been down. Jackett stopped progressing after our first season in the championship. It was woeful last season and was going downhill the year before that too.

I am guessing that KJ would have done a lot better with all the money that Lomas / Holloway has spent if he had stayed. KJ did get Millwall to the Semi final last season, which I guess may have helped fund the rebuild of the team. As a Charlton supporter, I am happy at the Lomas / Holloway managerial stint. Holloway may have been better from the start of the season / not mid. Holloway seems unusually desperate and a bit depressed.

I am glad that KJ is no longer there as even after Wood went, he managed to help organise the team to pull out a few key victories that kept Millwall up last season. That was more of a difficult proposition last season points wise. I would be more worried with KJ still in charge this season.

I don't have to suffer to watch the Millwall team week in / week out, so Millwall supporters will have a clearer opinion on their managers, past and present. Always good to see Millwall below Charlton. That improved my mood greatly this week.

Jackett left as he felt he couldn't take them any further. More money or not, he couldn't do any more.

He is working at his best level. He hit the wall with Swansea, he hit the wall with us, he'll get Wolves to a position and do the same.

He is excellent at organisation and getting the most out of limited players, producing teams that are fit with a good work ethic. The next level, where you need to develop tactically and the way you play football, along with identifying players, he seems to struggle with.

The appointment this summer was crucial to take us to the next level, but Lomas was a huge cock up.

Lomas won 5 games, Holloway has won 2. More to do with the fans not liking Lomas in the first place?
  • Options
    are we not getting ahead of ourselves were hardly out of the woods yet 4 tough games coming up

Lets see after this before we starting gloating
  • Options
    I liked bournes post but

I do celebrate every goal scored against them as I do palace
  • Options
    Don't think anybody's gloating or counting chickens yet. Its just observations at this stage at a critical stage of the season.

A Charlton victory and Millwall defeat always improves the day whatever league Charlton or Millwall are in.
  • Options

vff said:

The appointment this summer was crucial to take us to the next level
    In the same way Dowie took Charlton to the next level?

The problem with replacing a manager who is brilliant at getting the most out of limited resources, is that by bringing in a more expansive manager and on paper, better players, you can easily lose all the organisation, hard work and team spirit of the previous regime, and actually go backwards.
  • Options

vff said:

The appointment this summer was crucial to take us to the next level
    In the same way Dowie took Charlton to the next level?

The problem with replacing a manager who is brilliant at getting the most out of limited resources, is that by bringing in a more expansive manager and on paper, better players, you can easily lose all the organisation, hard work and team spirit of the previous regime, and actually go backwards.
    In the same way that Dowie was a poor appointment.

Not sure Lomas was a more expensive manager either. I bloody hope he wasn't paid more than Jackett.

• Options

blockquote class="Quote" rel="Sparrows Lane Lion">

vff said:

Lomas won 5 games, Holloway has won 2. More to do with the fans not liking Lomas in the first place?

The football was dire under Lomas. Don't underestimate the damage that has been done and the further work Holloway has to do.

Holloway certainly hasn't impressed so far, but Lomas was a joke.

• Options

A tad harsh, Holloway can join Lomas as a Charlton legend if he finishes the job. ;-)

• Options
    millwall fans must be sweating now. onus is on them to step up after a season which has been as poor as charlton's season but without any real reasons as to why. the dowie scenario is strikingly similar. millwall and us should have ket the manager and changed other parts of the club. millwall now need to hope we suddenly go back to our poor form of before february and they start gettign wins. if we win one, draw one and lose one of our games in hand, millwall could be potentially 7 points behind us due to our better form. what i am trying to say is that whilst millwall are trying to chage their style of play and start getting results, they are suddenly under the kosh. our postion is way better than theirs and that is because of tuesday night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No doubt Millwall are in the clatty but then again so are we.
  • Options

No doubt Millwall are in the clatty but then again so are we.

Clatty - interesting word. Never heard it before.
  • Options

if we win one, draw one and lose one of our games in hand, millwall could be potentially 7 points behind us due to our better form. what i am trying to say is that whilst millwall are trying to chage their style of play and start getting results, they are suddenly under the kosh. our postion is way better than theirs and that is because of tuesday night.

True but with the fixtures over the next 10 days they could quite easily be 6-7 points ahead of us. We have Burnley H, Forest and Derby away. They have Leeds A, Birmingham H, Blackburn H
  • Options
    What's Smalls run in like???
  • Options

vff said:

You're being very harsh there. Lomas did a great job imo.
  • Options

Leeds A / Brum H / Blackburn H / Forest A / Wigan A / Watford H / Boro A / Donny H / QPR A / Bournemouth H
  • Options
    Found this as well while checking fixtures.

Danny Shittu out for season with an Achilles Tendon problem.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26656352
  • Options
    I reckon olly Will bail out before it goes on his cv
  • Options
    No doubt about it. We will need to pick up some "surprising" points along the way if we are to survive. One from our next three games would be decent.
  • Options
    Forest are actually second bottom of the current form league in the Championship. IF we got very lucky we could get six points from our next two games, but at the least I'm expecting two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vff said:

Leeds A / Brum H / Blackburn H / Forest A / Wigan A / Watford H / Boro A / Donny H / QPR A / Bournemouth H

Can't see them picking up many points away but the homes are all winnable
  • Options
    Really wont look good for olly if he takes them down after cracking up at palace. Said he was going to make big changes at millwall. Dont think he realises some people dont want change this is millwall were talking about.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Who would have tipped the Spanners to win at Pride Park?

At the business end of the season such results start to emerge. From the QPR game we have had 5 games .I am sure everyone would have been satisfied with the 8 points we have accumulated. Yes on paper our next 5 Burnley (H),Forest (A),Derby (A),Leeds (A) and Reading (H) are tough.

In my opinion we need to score just over a point a game for survival and stay above Millwall .

In terms of the run in both clubs have 4 identical fixtures Leeds (A),Forest (A),Blackburn (H) and Watford (H). They play Birmingham and Doncaster at home whereas we play Barnsley and Yeovil. Derby away would broadly match Wigan .Boro away is a good fixture for them in so much as they will not have much to play for .I would benchmark this with the our game against the Massives.QPR away for them against Brighton away for us.Bolton at home would match Bournemouth.

By this reckoning our games in hand would be against Burnley (H) ,Reading (H) ,and Blackpool (A) on the last day.
  • Options
    Can't believe Millwall are struggling after Holloway got all the squad to sign this....

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/millwall/10943703.Ollie_demands_Millwall_players_sign_up_to_new_conduct_contracts/
  • Options
    I think all games are winnable, but when they are playing so badly and confidence is so low they are just not likely to win them.

Let's look at the facts, they have been in free fall since they lost Chris Wood in January 2013. Since 1st February last year Millwall have played 53 games and have managed just 47 points. That's 0.89 points per game, and since Holloway came in they have played 12 games and managed 10 points (0.83 per game). Their average over this season (36 games) is also 0.89 points. There's nothing to suggest that they will, significantly, increase their average over the next ten games which puts them on something like 41 points. The lowest total for a team finishing third from bottom in the last decade has been 42 points and that has only happened twice. I'm ignoring the points totals from any team that had a points deduction for Administration, obviously.

This points to Millwall falling out of the division. I know teams often pick up towards the end of the season and teams at the bottom start to beat those mid-table with nothing to play for, but to get to 41 points Millwall still need to pick up 9 points in ten games and they have only managed 7 points in their last 10 games. Also their last three games (when teams will quite possibly have nothing to play for) are Doncaster, QPR and Bournemouth. I can see Doncaster being less than 9 points above third from bottom when they play at The Den and QPR are probably going to need something to safeguard the playoffs and/or a home tie for the second leg.

While Millwall play those three games we have Wednesday away, Blackburn and Watford at home and Blackpool away. I think we'll pick up more points in those four games than Millwall will get in their three. I can't see anyone finishing below us and staying up, to be honest!
  • Options

Can't believe Millwall are struggling after Holloway got all the squad to sign this....

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/millwall/10943703.Ollie_demands_Millwall_players_sign_up_to_new_conduct_contracts/

That is one of the most cringeworthy things I have ever seen.

Even the likes of David Brent would be in horror reading that.
  • Options
    Millwall taking 200 to leeds. I can't help but think of the phrase "Bottled it".
  • Options
    When asked to sign those contract things it's hard to imagine any of the players thought anything other than "this manager is a total bell end"
  • Options

When asked to sign those contract things it's hard to imagine any of the players thought anything other than "this manager is a total bell end"

Can anyone imagine Terry Hurlock signing that!
  • Options

A tad harsh, Holloway can join Lomas as a Charlton legend if he finishes the job. ;-)

Nah, Holloway only gets that status if Palace go down as well. I think he left there too early.