Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lomas sacked/Holloway Appointed at Millwall

Comments

• Options

Into the bottom 3 you go Ian. Won't be long before you lose the plot now as the natives won't be too pleased at being replaced by us in drop zone and will be on your back soon enough. Tick tock.

To early to gloat Chris, it could all change as early as this weekend, lets open up a gap before we laugh at them

Yeah i know it could all change, especially next week when we're at Forest and Derby and they're at home to Birmingham and Blackburn but i'm confident we'll be ok with the games in hand.
  • Options
    I still think that depending on results there will be five teams sweating on the last day. We will be one of them.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2014
    My ideal scenario would be us being safe on the last day and Blackpool needing a win to stay up and to send Millwall down.
  • Options
    WSS said:

My ideal scenario would be us being safe on the last day and Blackpool needing a win to stay up and to send Millwall down.

......we sent the Millwall down
  • Options
    Holloway seemed very troubled and unconfident in his interview after our game on Saturday - kept repeating how we had four games in hand on them - sounded like he was already beaten, though I am certainly not counting chickens. Yeovil haven't given up yet by any means - that was a very hard-won point for them last night.
  • Options
    Yeovil have been playing well, they had a good goal chalked off on Saturday when the score was 0-0. I think the spanners have only won 2 games since Holloway took over, they sacked the wrong bloke.
  • Options
    Would love to see Yeovil survive, Barnsley, Blackpool and the Blight (Spanners) for me.
  • Options
    Been saying it for weeks that Blackpool will be one of the 3 to drop. Horrendous run of form and tough away games remaining so it'll be very hard for them to get out of their rut. That said, i definitely want to be safe before we go there on the last day.
  • Options

The natives are getting restless. 1 win in 8 now for Holloway. How long before he loses it?

Poor fool lost it before he got it..................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder what Millwallfan has to say....he's usually got something.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Shittu now out for the rest of the season according to SSN. Is this a positive or negative for the spanners? ;-)
  • Options
    I would rather palarse came down than Millwall be relegated. But anyway, we really should not chortle yet. Our forwards still can't score.
  • Options

I would rather palarse came down than Millwall be relegated. But anyway, we really should not chortle yet. Our forwards still can't score.

Why not be greedy and wish for both? But priority for me this season is millwall being relegated, as it'll increase our chances of survival............
  • Options
    Totally this - let's put the Millwall down,
  • Options

Into the bottom 3 you go Ian. Won't be long before you lose the plot now as the natives won't be too pleased at being replaced by us in drop zone and will be on your back soon enough. Tick tock.

Millwall's problem is that Lomas spunked the budget on far too many "comfortable" players such as Nicky Bailey and Scott McDonald.

Fair point, but Holloway has signed the likes of Simeon Jackson, DJ Campbell, Upson, Bessone, Fredericks from Spurs, Owen Garvan, so he's been fairly well backed too.
    Absolutely, they have certainly spent a lot of money - the irony being that Jackett was given no money and had them in a comfortable position!

As I said earlier I think there is always a risk bringing too many 30+ players in who are effectively on their last contract and this is the case with Campbell, Bailey (30 next birthday), McDonald and Bessone.
  • Options
    WSS said:

I for one would want us to lose against Blackpool in the above scenario , in the 96th minute with a right moody og
    I'm sure some freaks would rather we won though
  • Options

Millwall's problem is that Lomas spunked the budget on far too many "comfortable" players such as Nicky Bailey and Scott McDonald.

Fair point, but Holloway has signed the likes of Simeon Jackson, DJ Campbell, Upson, Bessone, Fredericks from Spurs, Owen Garvan, so he's been fairly well backed too.
    Absolutely, they have certainly spent a lot of money - the irony being that Jackett was given no money and had them in a comfortable position!

As I said earlier I think there is always a risk bringing too many 30+ players in who are effectively on their last contract and this is the case with Campbell, Bailey (30 next birthday), McDonald and Bessone.
    McDonald looked our best player under Lomas. DJ has looked ok.

Bailey is lazy & overweight. Bessone has only been here a few weeks.

• Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2014
    It is a bit like when Charlton lost Curbs. Lomas and Holloway have been well supported by the Millwall owner as was Dowie and Pardew at Charlton. Kenny Jackett always had Millwall playing as a unit and got the best out of the players. He was a good manager for Millwall, and Lomas and Holloway's efforts only emphasize that. Given the level of investment in the team, over the last season, it is surprising how badly Millwall are doing. There seems to be a collection of individuals rather than a team. Having players from Kenny Jackett, some from Lomas and some from Holloway probably doesn't help that. Hiring Lomas against wishes of the supporters is definitely looking like a mistake and Holloway seems out of sorts. Definitely not looking good for Millwall this season.
  • Options

WSS said:

I for one would want us to lose against Blackpool in the above scenario , in the 96th minute with a right moody og
    Would you celebrate the Blackpool goal? Assuming the unlikely event of you going to an away game! I think quite a few would.

In a perfect world West Ham (safe now), palace and Fulham would go down and Brentford and Leyton Orient would go up. Hopefully millwall would go down as well as you don't want to have too many games in London...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thing is McDonald has only scored three goals all season - poor return from a big wage earner - and anything you spend on him and Bailey is dead money.

You do need older heads but I don't think you're going to get your money's worth out of McDonald and Bailey.
  • Options

Been saying it for weeks that Blackpool will be one of the 3 to drop. Horrendous run of form and tough away games remaining so it'll be very hard for them to get out of their rut. That said, i definitely want to be safe before we go there on the last day.

I've been thinking this too. Definately going to this one. Just booked travelodge on the friday night for £32. It's an early kick-off so some may stay over i reckon.
  • Options
    vff said:

It is a bit like when Charlton lost Curbs. Lomas and Holloway have been well supported by the Millwall owner as was Dowie and Pardew at Charlton. Kenny Jackett always had Millwall playing as a unit and got the best out of the players. He was a good manager for Millwall, and Lomas and Holloway's efforts only emphasize that. Given the level of investment in the team, over the last season, it is surprising how badly Millwall are doing. There seems to be a collection of individuals rather than a team. Having players from Kenny Jackett, some from Lomas and some from Holloway probably doesn't help that. Hiring Lomas against wishes of the supporters is definitely looking like a mistake and Holloway seems out of sorts. Definitely not looking good for Millwall this season.

Thought the same regarding comparison..............
  • Options
    I think the team that will upset the Charlton v Millwall relegation battle is Yeovil. We could actually finish above Millwall and still go down. The Yeovil at home game will be a real 6 pointer, and they can and do score goals.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeovil won't go down. Blackpool/ Barnsley will go down. Hoping we can catch Birmingham and Doncaster to drag them back in.

It will go to the wire. Winner stays up at Blackpool is my prediction from early feburary.
  • Options

WSS said:

Would you celebrate the Blackpool goal? Assuming the unlikely event of you going to an away game! I think quite a few would.

In a perfect world West Ham (safe now), palace and Fulham would go down and Brentford and Leyton Orient would go up. Hopefully millwall would go down as well as you don't want to have too many games in London...
    I think it lacks class to celebrate an opponents' goal. I would expect us to try to beat Blackpool and the fans cheer when we score, not when we concede. Having said that, one game doesn't send you down - it is the whole season!
  • Options

Thing is McDonald has only scored three goals all season - poor return from a big wage earner - and anything you spend on him and Bailey is dead money.

You do need older heads but I don't think you're going to get your money's worth out of McDonald and Bailey.
    I agree. McDonald hasn't got anywhere near his form he had a few years ago now. But it's been our problem since Steve Morison left, we aren't scoring goals.

We only stayed up last year because of Chris Wood. Without him we'd have been down. Jackett stopped progressing after our first season in the championship. It was woeful last season and was going downhill the year before that too.
  • Options

WSS said:

I think it lacks class to celebrate an opponents' goal. I would expect us to try to beat Blackpool and the fans cheer when we score, not when we concede. Having said that, one game doesn't send you down - it is the whole season!
    In the situation that we're safe and that goal sends Millwall down then damn right I'm going to celebrate. Not many opportunities as a Charlton fan to laud it over the Spanners so I'm taking any chance I get!

• Options
    @The Prince-e-Paul Remember the trains are up the creek on the Sunday...
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2014

I agree. McDonald hasn't got anywhere near his form he had a few years ago now. But it's been our problem since Steve Morison left, we aren't scoring goals.

We only stayed up last year because of Chris Wood. Without him we'd have been down. Jackett stopped progressing after our first season in the championship. It was woeful last season and was going downhill the year before that too.
    Don't support Millwall, thank feck for that.

I am guessing that KJ would have done a lot better with all the money that Lomas / Holloway has spent if he had stayed. KJ did get Millwall to the Semi final last season, which I guess may have helped fund the rebuild of the team. As a Charlton supporter, I am happy at the Lomas / Holloway managerial stint. Holloway may have been better from the start of the season / not mid. Holloway seems unusually desperate and a bit depressed.

I am glad that KJ is no longer there as even after Wood went, he managed to help organise the team to pull out a few key victories that kept Millwall up last season. That was more of a difficult proposition last season points wise. I would be more worried with KJ still in charge this season.

I don't have to suffer to watch the Millwall team week in / week out, so Millwall supporters will have a clearer opinion on their managers, past and present. Always good to see Millwall below Charlton. That improved my mood greatly this week.