Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lomas sacked/Holloway Appointed at Millwall

Comments

• Options
    They had Kenny Jacket, a regular and sorted manager, but he left. They tried the fiery scot with no experience who seemed to implode before our eyes, the caretakers are inexperienced, so with Holloway they have pretty sensibly reverted to the regular and sorted manager type.
    Seems to be the best they could do in the current circumstances. if Holloway is on his game he has every chance of keeping Millwall up, he may be able to call on some old friends for some favours as he has contacts everywhere.
    I like the bloke, especially since the 'these are our sons' rant.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Lol...I'm sure the Spanners will all go along happily with that last line!!

"...perhaps there's one more chance for him to prove his critics wrong, providing he can find a club that's more interested in having a witty, likeable manager than getting results on the pitch"!!!

;-)
    Yep last chance saloon, shit or bust :-)

• Options
    A palace supporter at work, reckons that Holloway is a good championship manager but not Premiership quality. Holloway does know how to put a team together and motivate players which is something clearly that Lomas was well short on.

Holloway is a pretty good choice for Millwall and will unfortunately likely to steer Millwall away from relegation, particularly if he is able to get a couple of gutsy team players in.
  • Options
    Bit of a poorly researched article. Considering he joined QPR when they were sinking and entered administration, they released 16 players and he rebuilt the whole squad, he gets huge credit at QPR for what he achieved.
  • Options
    vff said:

A palace supporter at work, reckons that Holloway is a good championship manager but not Premiership quality. Holloway does know how to put a team together and motivate players which is something clearly that Lomas was well short on.

Holloway is a pretty good choice for Millwall and will unfortunately likely to steer Millwall away from relegation, particularly if he is able to get a couple of gutsy team players in.

Surprisd to hear that from a Palace fan. Considering where Freedman left them and their performance under Holloway for the remainder of the season, I reckon most outsiders would say he nearly cost them promotion rather than giving him the credit for earning it.
  • Options
    vff said:

Holloway does know how to put a team together and motivate players which is something clearly that Lomas was well short on.

I'm not sure he has the time to put a team together this season, its more a case of patching one up and using what he has inherited in a short space of time. The natives will become restless if there is not an immediate pick-up. No past Millwall link only a Palace one.
  • Options

vff said:

Holloway does know how to put a team together and motivate players which is something clearly that Lomas was well short on.

I'm not sure he has the time to put a team together this season, its more a case of patching one up and using what he has inherited in a short space of time. The natives will become restless if there is not an immediate pick-up. No past Millwall link only a Palace one.
    The players will get both barrells if there is not a reaction over the next few games.

Holloway will be spared as the vast majority are happy with his appointment, but it's the players who have let everyone down so far.
  • Options
    I'm not sure that Holloway has ever been an impact manager - perhaps the one exception, taking over a promotion hunting 3rd tier Blackpool late in the season, where he just had to maintain the momentum in someone else's team.

He's probably better at building his own team from scratch in the close season, developing a tight knit dressing room and good working relationships with players.

He did that at QPR, Argyle and Blackpool.

At Palace, he inherited someone else's winning team in the November, yet wanted to change it to his way of doing things, losing momentum - except for remarkable rally to win the playoffs.

He knew that team were not good enough to compete in the Prem, but his close season OTT panic buying destroyed his dressing room. You don't get time to gel a new 1st XI in the Prem - he knew that too. And bailed out.

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on at Millwall.
    He does have that air of optimism and cheerfulness about him, which can initially help return a better dressing room spirit.

But whether they stay up or relegated, he'll want to build a brand new team in the summer.

• Options
    there chairman says he will be more than helpful with players he wants to bring in,hope our new owner says the same
  • Options

Millwall FC
    @MillwallFC
    Ian Holloway: "I need to look at things (before deciding on recruiting players). There will be a friendly next week amongst all players."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There will be a friendly next week amongst all players."

A friendly amongst all players?

Can't they play Spurs development squad?

• Options

Ian Holloway: "I need to look at things (before deciding on recruiting players). There will be a friendly next week amongst all players."

Isn't that Holloway speak for a training session? Stunning!

• Options
    jeez that picture makes me want to do something bad...
  • Options
    Ian Holloway happy to try to steer Millwall back on the road to success

theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/09/ian-holloway-millwall-manager-crystal-palace

BACK on the road?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I would love him to fail there (I find him to be a bit tedious now, since the girl in the cab story he has been too outspoken on everything and often comes across as someone that opens his mouth before engaging his brain) and obviously I don't want Millwall to be successful. So I might be a little biased.

However, if one looks at his managerial record it is far from outstanding. A couple of seasons with Bristol Rovers where they made the playoffs once; he was given the managers job at QPR to keep them up and they went down; He then had a season at Plymouth where they finished a couple of places higher then before he went there, and lower than they finished after he left; he took over Leicester when they were in 17th place in the Championship with an average of 1.133 points per game and the ended up finishing 22nd with an average of 1.19 points for his 31 games in charge; he took over Blackpool after they had signed Charlie Adam (who was, clearly, the stand out talent in their side - 16 goals from midfield) and they finished 6th, 6 points behind the team in 5th, and managed to get through the playoffs by going mad attacking, something that could have backfired on them; in the Premier League the following season they continued to throw caution to the winds, but from memory every week they played teams that rested their top stars and even with that Adam was their outstanding player scoring 12 goals (a lot for a midfielder in a team that finished second bottom); the following season they only finished 5th with all that parachute money and failed to beat a West Ham team that had only won 5 of it's last 13 league games; at Palace he took over a side with 27 points from 14 games (1.93 points per game) and they finished on 72 from 46 (their average with him in charge was 1.4 points per game).

Thus, even if we take into account my bias it looks, very much, like he is better at grabbing headlines for being outspoken than he is for winning games.

I have no idea how good Millwall's squad is, not do I know how much money Holloway will be given (not much if they look at his signings last summer) but I am quietly confident that they will still be in a relegation battle with six games to go, and it's not as though he's never taken a team down - Blackpool from the Prem is ok, but Leicester and QPR from this division?
  • Options
    "I would love it if he got relegated with them, love it!"
  • Options

he took over Leicester when they were in 17th place in the Championship with an average of 1.133 points per game and the ended up finishing 22nd with an average of 1.19 points for his 31 games in charge;

Hoping he can repeat this at Millwall.
  • Options
    Managerial statistics[edit]

As of 21 October 2013
    Team Nat From To Record
    G W D L Win %
    Bristol Rovers England 13 May 1996 29 January 2001 247 90 70 87 36.44
    Queens Park Rangers England 26 February 2001 6 February 2006 252 100 81 71 39.68
    Plymouth Argyle England 28 June 2006 21 November 2007 71 28 23 20 39.44
    Leicester City England 22 November 2007 23 May 2008 32 9 8 15 28.13
    Blackpool England 21 May 2009 3 November 2012 161 62 43 56 38.51
    Crystal Palace England 4 November 2012 23 October 2013 46 14 14 18 30.43

Total 809 303 239 267 37.45
  • Options
    Holloway quoted in today's Evening Standard:

"I would like people in 10 years to say, 'What a job Holloway has done [at Millwall]. Look at the football they play now and look at the way they pass the ball. Look at how many they have got in the England team.' Why not?"

Ha ha. Millwall players in the England team? Dream on, Holloway...
  • Options
    He's always had a sense of humour.

He's having a larf. Or deluded.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There will be a lot on here saying what a job Holloway has done and he won't have to wait 10 years for it to be said, if they get results like today.
  • Options
    Nakhi Wells. Charlton legend.
  • Options

Holloway quoted in today's Evening Standard:

"I would like people in 10 years to say, 'What a job Holloway has done [at Millwall]. Look at the football they play now and look at the way they pass the ball. Look at how many they have got in the England team.' Why not?"

Ha ha. Millwall players in the England team? Dream on, Holloway...

He's not even funny anymore. Just a deluded charlatan who really likes the sound of his own voice
  • Options
    how long still they start throwing their tools at him?
  • Options
    I don't even think millwalls chances of staying up have improved.

His form as a manager is on a downward spiral. He has not achieved that much in football part from a few laughs in a press conference.
  • Options
    Still don't think the scum will be too near the bottom by the end of the season ..... Sadly
  • Options

Still don't think the scum will be too near the bottom by the end of the season ..... Sadly

Unfortunately this.

• Options

Unfortunately this.

On today's showing, and with Wickham signed up, Wednesday won't either so that really lives only Donny, Barnsley and Yeovil as the three to finish below us unless the squad is strengthened considerably by the end of the month

• Options
    Millwall have a very limited squad so I'd include them with Barnsley, Yeovil and Donny.
  • Options

Unfortunately this.

On today's showing, and with Wickham signed up, Wednesday won't either so that really lives only Donny, Barnsley and Yeovil as the three to finish below us unless the squad is strengthened considerably by the end of the month

Sadly that's how I'm seeing it kinveachy