Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Comments

• Options

Quick show of hands please. Is a takeover going to be announced tomorrow before the game?

Being the eternal optimist I say a big YES!

Become a realist... No it won't - Mr. Harris is still lurking.
    How do you know that Harris is still lurking? He is out of the picture as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Davo55 said:

A good first move from the owners as a sign of intent would be to give Airman his job back. Would be good for the club and popular too.

No disrespect to Airman, but much better first moves would be to give CP a new deal, get critical first team players on new contracts, sort out a wages/loans/transfer budget that gives CP a chance to strengthen in January. I hope Airman comes back but the new owner has quite possibly never heard of him and it is unlikely to be top of his agenda.
    The original comment genuinely made me laugh, most charlton fans wouldn't care whether they gave him his old job back, contracts and signings are the priority
    And let them get their own off field team in. That may include those that lost their jobs under the old regime, it may not. They seem to know football so I would trust them more than this lot.
    I'm honestly not sure about this. One of my best pals has been in football all his working life and was Derby's FD for the last few years. He was astounded when he heard we had got Prothero as he knew what a good reputation he had in the game.

Sorry, I know everything isn't great, but these guys will leave in credit as far as I am concerned.
  • Options

Quick show of hands please. Is a takeover going to be announced tomorrow before the game?

How do you know that Harris is still lurking? He is out of the picture as far as I am concerned.
    How do you know he's out of the picture?
  • Options

Fair comment. I guess none of us really know what's going on including those supposedly ITK.

Let's see what transpires over the coming days/weeks.
  • Options

Belgian beer at The Valley would be good.

Re-opening the bars to actually sell it would be even better!!!!! ;-)
  • Options
    la vallée or het dal?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I'm guessing this deals 90% done at the moment, if it doesn't happen I dread to think what will happen, unless there is another as yet unannounced bidder and TJ ,MS and KC, are trying one last push to get them to up their offer.
  • Options

Belgian beer at The Valley would be good.

Re-opening the bars to actually sell it would be even better!!!!! ;-)
    se9addick said:

cafctom said:

Standard Liege have been in the Champions League in recent years and won the Belgium championship 10 times, so their profile is much much bigger than ours.

Stadium only holds 30,000 though and average attendance is about 22k/23k, so their turnover is likely to be slightly higher.

Cheers Tom, didn't realise they played CL footie, thought that was reserved for Anderlecht. Given that they must be "bigger" than us
    I don't think they've been past the group stages though ? If not, then a Charlton in the Premier League - even finishing just above relegation - would be bringing in more money than Standard would make getting knocked out of the group stages and winning the Belgian league.

Who knows what his plan is, I just don't fancy being part of a set up where Charlton players really belong to a multi-team franchise rather than us, but I guess all will be revealed soon.
    Brings back memories of the New England Tea-Men! Flanagan & Powell being sent across the Atlantic in the middle of our season!! :(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I will only be happy when a billionaire who is prepared to put loads of money into our club for no return and who is prepared not to interfere in the running of the club in any way comes along. Until that day I am afraid I can only see potential takeovers as a disaster for Charlton.

I think you mean interfering in the running of the team WMT, rather than the club? I too would be happy to see that, but realistically that has never happened at a club of our size. I think the word disaster is a bit strong, given our current position - it suggests that without the billionaire we dream of, we would be better off with the current, skint, regime holding onto the club forever rather than anyone else taking the helm?
    I think WMT may have been indulging in some of that lowest form of wit, sarcasm.

: - )
  • Options

So wait, people are now saying directors in the background are holding it up?

Feel a bit sorry for Slater + Jimenez if this falls through and they get all the blame if it was something that they'd sorted only for another person to veto.

Don't think anyone is saying that.

Just that ex and current directors have to agree any deal as do the bank.

No suggestion that those parties are blocking the deal.
  • Options

I'm guessing this deals 90% done at the moment, if it doesn't happen I dread to think what will happen, unless there is another as yet unannounced bidder and TJ ,MS and KC, are trying one last push to get them to up their offer.

So I still have a chance if I win Euromillions on Tuesday. ;-)
  • Options
    A new thread will bring us success at the highest level - We may have fond memories of the old thread but it was outdated.

Look how many other forums have closed their old takeover threads, increased their site visitors and moved on successfully.
  • Options

A new thread will bring us success at the highest level - We may have fond memories of the old thread but it was outdated.

Look how many other forums have closed their old takeover threads, increased their site visitors and moved on successfully.

Go to bed ! See you in The Bugle tomorrow.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Kap10 said:

Davo55 said:

A good first move from the owners as a sign of intent would be to give Airman his job back. Would be good for the club and popular too.

No disrespect to Airman, but much better first moves would be to give CP a new deal, get critical first team players on new contracts, sort out a wages/loans/transfer budget that gives CP a chance to strengthen in January. I hope Airman comes back but the new owner has quite possibly never heard of him and it is unlikely to be top of his agenda.
    The original comment genuinely made me laugh, most charlton fans wouldn't care whether they gave him his old job back, contracts and signings are the priority
    And let them get their own off field team in. That may include those that lost their jobs under the old regime, it may not. They seem to know football so I would trust them more than this lot.
    I'm honestly not sure about this. One of my best pals has been in football all his working life and was Derby's FD for the last few years. He was astounded when he heard we had got Prothero as he knew what a good reputation he had in the game.

Sorry, I know everything isn't great, but these guys will leave in credit as far as I am concerned.
    If Prothero's in credit, other than at the bank, perhaps you or your friend can tell us what he has done in the last 18 months to justify his very substantial remuneration - or indeed any remuneration? As far as I can tell, it mainly involves making lists of players and crossing them off when they sign for someone else. Plus that very successful Button deal, of course. In any event, he has no shares and no say, despite Prague's suggestion to the contrary.
  • Options
    Rick...my comment was purely about the standard of person brought in and their reputation in the industry. You possibly know Mal (he's worked at Everton, Hull & Coventry as well) and I have the utmost respect for him as a friend & a seasoned football man.

The "in credit" comment stems from where we are & where we were when they came in. I know how desperate we were for a deal at that time and they were needed. That's it, nothing more.

I've stated previously that I'm not a fan of the management methods that have seen you, Peter & many others leave the club. Let's leave it there & hope this takeover goes through for us all to celebrate a happy New Year.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    TelMc32 said:

Rick...my comment was purely about the standard of person brought in and their reputation in the industry. You possibly know Mal (he's worked at Everton, Hull & Coventry as well) and I have the utmost respect for him as a friend & a seasoned football man.

The "in credit" comment stems from where we are & where we were when they came in. I know how desperate we were for a deal at that time and they were needed. That's it, nothing more.

I've stated previously that I'm not a fan of the management methods that have seen you, Peter & many others leave the club. Let's leave it there & hope this takeover goes through for us all to celebrate a happy New Year.

Fair enough. There's no doubt something had to happen in December 2010 as it does now. But the main factor in the recruitment of Chris Powell, retaining him after the collapse of 2011 and then signing all those players, and thereby winning promotion, was Peter Varney. It had to be bankrolled and the role the owners played in that by loaning money is inescapable, but without Varney it would have been - and since Varney it has been - a rudderless ship.

Further PV's treatment by Slater and Jimenez over the ensuing months was disgraceful and I hope one day people will come to understand just what has gone on, because they might then think twice about lauding the people responsible.

As for Prothero, reputation is not the same thing as performance and I can't honestly see that anything significant has happened at Charlton in the last 18 months that would have been any different if he had never appeared on the scene and the role he supposedly fills had been left vacant. And I'm not alone in that view. That's pretty poor at a time when the club has been crying out for leadership and there have been cutbacks across the staff, while he has been massively rewarded for no obvious contribution. It stinks really.
  • Options

But as Henry most famously says.....when its on the OS. Untill then i find it funny people comparing us to Watford and how many loans we will have from SL. We will get taken over and any takeover wether we like it or not will eventually se us move from the valley.

Moving from the Valley is not part of Duchatelet's plan, I've been told. Worth bearing that in mind when weighing up other aspects of his possible plans, IF he turns out to be our new owner.
    Out of interest Prague, what have you been told ARE his possible plans, if he turns out to be our new owner
    Virtually nothing else. 48 hours ago I'd never heard of him

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's all set up for Wednesday later today, the big announcement of the takeover, the triumphant unveiling of the new owner...

Followed by a 4 -0 home defeat, with Semedo and Llera both scoring, and Yann and Solly sent off for fighting each other.
  • Options

It's all set up for Wednesday later today, the big announcement of the takeover, the triumphant unveiling of the new owner...

Followed by a 4 -0 home defeat, with Semedo and Llera both scoring, and Yann and Solly sent off for fighting each other.

And Operation Pig winning the Jackpot Draw....
  • Options
    Any ideas on loans or suitable purchases in the window ?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

And Operation Pig winning the Jackpot Draw....
    Then him blagging on here how MASSIVE they are

• Options
    Im in the Directors box with my Dad for todays game. What are the chances of us rubbing shoulders with our (potential) new Flemish/Walloon owner?
  • Options

Im in the Directors box with my Dad for todays game. What are the chances of us rubbing shoulders with our (potential) new Flemish/Walloon owner?

Keep ya eyes open and camera at the ready
  • Options

Pretty high I'd reckon. Make sure he is reassured that 'booing' is a local South East London fondness in greeting our team....

• Options

But as Henry most famously says.....when its on the OS. Untill then i find it funny people comparing us to Watford and how many loans we will have from SL. We will get taken over and any takeover wether we like it or not will eventually se us move from the valley.

Moving from the Valley is not part of Duchatelet's plan, I've been told. Worth bearing that in mind when weighing up other aspects of his possible plans, IF he turns out to be our new owner.
    Out of interest Prague, what have you been told ARE his possible plans, if he turns out to be our new owner
    Virtually nothing else. 48 hours ago I'd never heard of him

Ok, cheers Prague. The way it was wrote was that there were multiple potential aspects to it.
  • Options

Fair comment. I guess none of us really know what's going on including those supposedly ITK.

Let's see what transpires over the coming days/weeks.
    It's all we can do - the newspaper article was clearly saying "done deal" too early and has set the forums off and running. As ever, those ITK know nowt really. All good fun!
  • Options
    It feels like the bulk of the deal must have been done for the OS to report it -maybe a case of getting all the signatures, waiting for the best time to announce it. It feels very unlikely to fall through - I'm sure the Belgian will know all he needs to know so doubtful something will come along to scupper things.