Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2013

It feels like the bulk of the deal must have been done for the OS to report it -maybe a case of getting all the signatures, waiting for the best time to announce it. It feels very unlikely to fall through - I'm sure the Belgian will know all he needs to know so doubtful something will come along to scupper things.

Worth remembering that any takeover has to be signed off by the bank funding the remaining north stand mortgage, unless it is repaid. That is Lombard, which is part of RBS.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Out of interest AB, does RDC still have any financial involvement in CAFC?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Out of interest AB, does RDC still have any financial involvement in CAFC?

Richard Collins? No. His shareholding was always one of the smallest on the board (no jokes please!).
  • Options

It feels like the bulk of the deal must have been done for the OS to report it -maybe a case of getting all the signatures, waiting for the best time to announce it. It feels very unlikely to fall through - I'm sure the Belgian will know all he needs to know so doubtful something will come along to scupper things.

Worth remembering that any takeover has to be signed off by the bank funding the remaining north stand mortgage, unless it is repaid. That is Lombard, which is part of RBS.
    So they have to wait for a working day I guess.
  • Options
    But would his agreement be one of those required for any potential takeover?
  • Options

Isn't RBS trying to hive off Lombard at the moment?
  • Options
    Well it still looks suspicious to me why it was leaked to Charlie Sale and why a couple of lines went on the OS.
  • Options

Im in the Directors box with my Dad for todays game. What are the chances of us rubbing shoulders with our (potential) new Flemish/Walloon owner?

Give him a kiss from us on both cheeks please Len. And then move up to his face.... ;-)
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Rick...my comment was purely about the standard of person brought in and their reputation in the industry. You possibly know Mal (he's worked at Everton, Hull & Coventry as well) and I have the utmost respect for him as a friend & a seasoned football man.

The "in credit" comment stems from where we are & where we were when they came in. I know how desperate we were for a deal at that time and they were needed. That's it, nothing more.

I've stated previously that I'm not a fan of the management methods that have seen you, Peter & many others leave the club. Let's leave it there & hope this takeover goes through for us all to celebrate a happy New Year.

Further PV's treatment by Slater and Jimenez over the ensuing months was disgraceful and I hope one day people will come to understand just what has gone on, because they might then think twice about lauding the people responsible.

Very many of us would love to understand this better, not (just) out of curiosity but to be able to consider all the debits and credits of their leadership in full. I guess very few people might be able to tell us that story, but PV and you are perhaps best placed to do so. What are the chances of that being told, maybe when their reign is over?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Addickted said:

But would his agreement be one of those required for any potential takeover?

No - the former directors with loans that are repayable on takeover (or would need to be rolled over by agreement or otherwise renegotiated) are Derek Chappell, Bob Whitehand, Sir Maurice Hatter, David Hughes, David Sumners and David White. These amount to £4.4m and are interest free loans pending promotion to the Premier League, at which point they start to attract interest. In addition there is approx £3.5m outstanding to Richard Murray on a similar basis, although £1m part of his attracts modest interest now.

I don't think Sir Maurice was ever a director himself, but that's not material.

In addition, there is - as far as we know - an overdraft facility of about £800k with HSBC which is underwritten by RM and they would also be entitled to sign off, as well as RBS/Lombard.

I'm not saying that any of these are an obstacle to a deal, as long as the counterparty is robust, simply that any takeover has to jump all these hurdles before it can be completed. They can be cleared in advance, but it's not just a question of two parties shaking hands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    OK - thanks AB.

RMs loan attracts 'modest' interest? How modest compared with the BoEBR only being 0.5%?
  • Options

Can we get Bartrams turned into a Belgo's? Bottles of slag all round

Is that a good thing?!?
    Yes, the food is edible and the beer is great! Compare that to what is currently served....
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Addickted said:

OK - thanks AB.

RMs loan attracts 'modest' interest? How modest compared with the BoEBR only being 0.5%?

RM has £1m accruing interest at 3%, and a further £2.4m which is on 0%, (like the other director loans, the loans that total to £4.5million).
  • Options

I will only be happy when a billionaire who is prepared to put loads of money into our club for no return and who is prepared not to interfere in the running of the club in any way comes along. Until that day I am afraid I can only see potential takeovers as a disaster for Charlton.

I think you mean interfering in the running of the team WMT, rather than the club? I too would be happy to see that, but realistically that has never happened at a club of our size. I think the word disaster is a bit strong, given our current position - it suggests that without the billionaire we dream of, we would be better off with the current, skint, regime holding onto the club forever rather than anyone else taking the helm?
    I think WMT may have been indulging in some of that lowest form of wit, sarcasm.

: - )
    Oops, I think the expression is "Whoosh". Sorry WMT... (Small blushing smiley thing).
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Davo55 said:

TelMc32 said:

Rick...my comment was purely about the standard of person brought in and their reputation in the industry. You possibly know Mal (he's worked at Everton, Hull & Coventry as well) and I have the utmost respect for him as a friend & a seasoned football man.

The "in credit" comment stems from where we are & where we were when they came in. I know how desperate we were for a deal at that time and they were needed. That's it, nothing more.

I've stated previously that I'm not a fan of the management methods that have seen you, Peter & many others leave the club. Let's leave it there & hope this takeover goes through for us all to celebrate a happy New Year.

Further PV's treatment by Slater and Jimenez over the ensuing months was disgraceful and I hope one day people will come to understand just what has gone on, because they might then think twice about lauding the people responsible.

Very many of us would love to understand this better, not (just) out of curiosity but to be able to consider all the debits and credits of their leadership in full. I guess very few people might be able to tell us that story, but PV and you are perhaps best placed to do so. What are the chances of that being told, maybe when their reign is over?
    Honestly think that it's more important that the club moves on, but there is a risk that certain people will be provoked into telling their story if history gets rewritten.
  • Options
    Ex-directors' loans: Chappell £1.2m, Whitehand £1.2m, Hatter £1m, Hughes £500k, Sumners £250k, White £250k.

• Options
    Whilst we know from the Club itself that there is negotiatins with a prospective purchaser we do not know who is handlingthe negotiations and whether the negotiator is representing a controlling interest in the Club. My understanding is that Jiminez has the largest holding but not more than 50%. Slater repreents the next largest holding but can only command a majority with the support of the other shareholders. If they have have differing views (or support competing offers,) and neither can command a majority, we have impasse. This, rather than D D, may explain why previous negotiations have failed and why this particular Belgian courtship may still be in the balance.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

TelMc32 said:

Honestly think that it's more important that the club moves on, but there is a risk that certain people will be provoked into telling their story if history gets rewritten.
    Battle for The Valley II: Captain Scarlet & The Mysterons ?
  • Options
    bloody typical - I've been faithfully following all the takeover threads and then when I have no phone or broadband this happens, so now I'm going to have to pop out to the M6 services again to see what's happening, another full english while I wait!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My only question, should any takeover go through, is who will actually be in day to day control. I can't see it being the Belgium bloke himself.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

My only question, should any takeover go through, is who will actually be in day to day control. I can't see it being the Belgium bloke himself.

I'm sure there will be a transitional period but eventually I would see most very senior staff being Duchatelet people.

• Options

Ex-directors' loans: Chappell £1.2m, Whitehand £1.2m, Hatter £1m, Hughes £500k, Sumners £250k, White £250k.

Whitehand's loan is closer to £850k.
  • Options
    Duchatalet
    Duchatelet
    is from Belgium
    is from Belgium
    Duchatalet is from Belgium
    he likes beer, chips and muscles
    Duchatalet is from Belgium
  • Options
    Another Liege fan told me today

Quelle triste fin d'année pour les gens de Iena et de Charlton !!! '' I feel really sorry for the Charlton fans ''

I replied and asked Why, and the response i got was

'' Car Roland Duchatelet est une personne qui ne connait rien au football '' '' Roland Duchatelet knows nothing about football ''
  • Options

bloody typical - I've been faithfully following all the takeover threads and then when I have no phone or broadband this happens, so now I'm going to have to pop out to the M6 services again to see what's happening, another full english while I wait!

If you're going into Motorway services for a full english you'd better ask our potential new owner for a loan!
  • Options

Quelle triste fin d'année pour les gens de Iena et de Charlton !!! '' I feel really sorry for the Charlton fans ''

'' Car Roland Duchatelet est une personne qui ne connait rien au football '' '' Roland Duchatelet knows nothing about football ''

To be fair not many owners do now. I don't think Randy Lerner knew much about football but he's been good for Aston Villa. As long as he's not an interfering nutter then it's not a problem.
  • Options

To be fair not many owners do now. I don't think Randy Lerner knew much about football but he's been good for Aston Villa. As long as he's not an interfering nutter then it's not a problem.
    Agreed, Just mix feelings about him clearly from the Standard supporters.

• Options
    so that this thread does not die a death full of bollocks, boredom and rubbish about other stuff, i propose before anyone posts a thread they must actually either have a question, an opinion or information on the takeover. look at the other takeover thread.
  • Options
    His record with Managers reads...

July 2011 - May 2012 / May 2012 - Oct 2012 / Oct 2012 - May 2013 / May 2013 - Current.

The Powell Out brigade will be pleased...