Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Comments

• Options
    Not a fan then?
  • Options
    STVVfan said:

Hello.
    I haven't read every post in this thread but it seems like most of you are optimistic about Duchatelet taking over. I'm sorry to burst your bubble but Duchatelet won't lift your club to an higher level. If you're lucky he'll invest some cash at the beginning of his reign.

I'm afraid you'll become the 6th club in his network. He owns Carl Zeis Jena in Germany and Standard de Liege in Belgium. His son his the chairman of Hungarian club Ujpest. He saved Belgian second tier club Tubize from financial trouble and is now major shareholder. And at my own club at last Sintruidense VV or STVV his girlfriend is owner of the stadium and all grounds surrounding it. Officially he sold our club when he bought Standard because both teams were in the first division at that point and you obviously cannot own 2 clubs that compete in the same division. But he actually still runs things at the club. Our current chairman is a dear friend of his and just a puppet on a string. When he "sold" the club he gave the stadium and its grounds to his girlfriend so we now pay 400.000 Euro rent a year to plag in our own Stadium.

He recently called these 6 clubs his network and there have been player swappings between Ujpest, STVV, Standard and Tubize. We mostly got young,talented players who had to be in the starting eleven even though they weren't yet up for the task. He destroyed our club from within and we are nothjng bht his toy at the moment.

I fear the same thing might happen with Charlton. He'll use you to steal your talent, drop young players in the first squad to increase their market value. He"ll use your stadium ground to build hotels, shops and industry ( Very positive for the local economy I have to admit). And he"ll sell your players as soon as there's a profit in store for him

The man knows nothing about football but he is a cunning bastard.

All the best of luck and I hope for you guys I'm wrong.

Wow. This is a very very interesting post.
    I have heard though that the alternative bidder who isn't Josh Harris is in favour of the impractical peninsular move. Josh may have been a peninsular guy also.
    Still, it's pay day soon.

• Options
    STVVfan said:

Hello.
    I haven't read every post in this thread but it seems like most of you are optimistic about Duchatelet taking over. I'm sorry to burst your bubble but Duchatelet won't lift your club to an higher level. If you're lucky he'll invest some cash at the beginning of his reign.

I'm afraid you'll become the 6th club in his network. He owns Carl Zeis Jena in Germany and Standard de Liege in Belgium. His son his the chairman of Hungarian club Ujpest. He saved Belgian second tier club Tubize from financial trouble and is now major shareholder. And at my own club at last Sintruidense VV or STVV his girlfriend is owner of the stadium and all grounds surrounding it. Officially he sold our club when he bought Standard because both teams were in the first division at that point and you obviously cannot own 2 clubs that compete in the same division. But he actually still runs things at the club. Our current chairman is a dear friend of his and just a puppet on a string. When he "sold" the club he gave the stadium and its grounds to his girlfriend so we now pay 400.000 Euro rent a year to plag in our own Stadium.

He recently called these 6 clubs his network and there have been player swappings between Ujpest, STVV, Standard and Tubize. We mostly got young,talented players who had to be in the starting eleven even though they weren't yet up for the task. He destroyed our club from within and we are nothjng bht his toy at the moment.

I fear the same thing might happen with Charlton. He'll use you to steal your talent, drop young players in the first squad to increase their market value. He"ll use your stadium ground to build hotels, shops and industry ( Very positive for the local economy I have to admit). And he"ll sell your players as soon as there's a profit in store for him

Don't tell Golfie.

• Options
    STVVfan said:

Hello.

How about he flogs off The Valley for housing and we move to the Peninsula in a joint venture with the Council? Hey! - At least we'll have a proper pitch instead of a Flanders field.

• Options

Not a fan then?

Until 2012 he was an important politician in my home town and altough I'm not a fan of his party, I voted for him. As a politician and invester, big fan. As a football supporter, not so much.
  • Options
    STVVfan said:

Hello.

Sounds a bit worrying to me.

I await the Charlton Life bods to digest,decipher and analyse this information. Then tell you you're talking bollox.

• Options

STVVfan said:

Hello.

so are you Millwall or Palace?
    Have a feeling this fella is the genuine article.

• Options
    Well at least it sounds like there's not going to be a dull moment then. A cunning bastard... Groan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Sounds like he will be an improvement on what we have now. I don't think loads of money is needed - signing up our best players and one or 2 signings of the right quality and things would get quite interesting. Simple solotion for the pitch too - 4 G which I think he is in favour of.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2013
    JonnyK said:

vff said:

cafc999 said:

A good old fashioned scoop told me that there is also a second party waiting in the background and that only a price had been agreed with the man from Belgium.

I understand Slater / Jimensz trying to get a good deal but I wish they would stop fecking around and get on and sell the damn club, so the club and supporters (and them) can move on.

All this ducking and diving. It is ridiculous, who the hell is this other party ? If they are truly interested they should get on with and do the deal and Slater / Jimensz should not feck about interested parties. Maybe this is why Josh Harris walked away from the idioicy. Slater / Jimensz get on with it and do the deal for feck sake.
    Can I ask who advised you that Harris had walked away???
    Josh Harris is still around then ? You know otherwise ??

It would be great if Josh Harris is still interested. No indications of that unfortunately,

I liked the sound of how Josh Harris saw the positive impact that sport plays in an area and thought he seemed a good fit for Charlton.

• Options
    It was widely reported that he had wasn't it?
  • Options
    Thanks for your post STVV fan. I appreciate you seem to have got the shitty end of the stick. Charlton, as part of the English League system may be the 6th chronologically , but may not be 6th in terms of his priorities. Sorry if that sounds disrespectful. I don't really know the Belgian league in terms of income, footballing ability, attendance etc. Would you say Belgian league 2 and English championship teams are similar? Because I guess that would have some bearing on what we might expect from Duchatelet.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input @STVVfan
  • Options

STVVfan said:

Hello.

so are you Millwall or Palace?
    Have a feeling this fella is the genuine article.

Absolutely. No Millwall or Palace type would be capable of that amount of research.
  • Options
    The English is too good for him to be a Millwall or palace fan.

Bottom line as I see it - our younger players may get some first team experience around Europe, we'll get some loanees in from abroad and don't forget Liege are top of the league as a result of having a crop of excellent youngsters.

And we probably won't go bankrupt in the very near future

So he buys us - turns around our fortunes and then sells for a profit - can't really grumble with that can we?!
  • Options
    Out of interest @STVVfan would you say he is using his multi club approach to benefit all clubs, or are some clubs being used purely to benefit 1 or 2 clubs ?

Is this form of multi club link up common in Belgium ?
  • Options
    Again....Standard Liege are the number one team in the country...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loaning some of our young potential talents abroad may reap dividends too in the longer term.
  • Options
    What a great post from someone who has witnessed it first hand

What was the financial state of your club at the time of buying

What's your avge home attendance

On a more football fan to football fan

Who is your best player how is your season going and who is your most hated rival
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Again....Standard Liege are the number one team in the country...

I always thought Anderlecht were the top Belgian side?
  • Options
    STVV fan - the renting of the ground back to the club would not work with Financial Fair Play rules here as rent would count towards the budget.

It only works if Charlton were in the premiership.

Not sure about the Liberal term as the term means many different things to many different people and it can be difficult to understand exactly what people are talking about. As a Charlton fan, I want security for the club and the current alternative appears to be run into the ground in a similar condition to the pitch or administration.
  • Options
    Its an interesting insite and to be honest i can't see it as not being genuine given the information involved so much appreciated @STVVfan, thanks.

Although the insite comes with concerns, I still feel that this could be good for us. Ok the main concern to most fans (myself included) is we could lose young talent that comes through but in the same respect we could see young talent coming from abroad who could very well benefit us going forward. Should he be looking to sell our talent i could only see him selling players who would make a good profit rather than for bit fees that we are getting these days for our players. He is a business man and would only do things that make good business.

The other side of the coin to the insite though; is being successful in England going to bring him better financial rewards than being successful in the countries where he already owns clubs? I would say England is a real money spinner so he would be wise to invest in us and get the financial rewards in the Premiership (should we ever dream of being there again as I'm not getting carried away at all so don't worry). I can't honestly see Charlton being much of a feeder club to European giants as it stands, but we could well see the benefits in reverse much like Watford did with their agreements. I don't particulary want a team full of foreign players and would love to see us with a team of home grown stars, but lets be realistic, its the world we live in now, so if you can't beat them, join them.

I want good football back at Charlton. If thats a mix of European up and comers plus some of our own home grown talent then i'm all for it. Developing young players to make a profit can't be a bad thing because if we are able to develop to have them as worth a profit then we have surely done a good thing. If the club becomes successful there would be no need to sell them on to others.

I just hope in years to come we see this as a good move rather than a "What the hell did we do?"
  • Options
    STVVfan your contribution is very welcome, many thanks.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2013
    STVV fan

But Duchatelet considers himself to be a visionair.

-----

I think you mean Visionary, visionair is a great word though.

Not sure about people who think they are visionaries, surely best applied by someone else. I tend to equate people who think they are visionaires with meglomania. Did Duchatelet mention anything about the vision or anything relating to a 5 year plan ?
  • Options

What a great post from someone who has witnessed it first hand

What was the financial state of your club at the time of buying

What's your avge home attendance

On a more football fan to football fan

Who is your best player how is your season going and who is your most hated rival

Duchatelet started out as a sponsor and when our board at that time got into financial termoil the asked him to take over. We actually were very optimistic as STVV supporters in general. He build us a great stadium, we finished 4th in the first division after promoting from second. But now he stole our stadium, " left us "with more debt ( 5million euro instead of 800.000) and still keeps controling us.

Average home standings are about 7200 at the moment. Before duchatelet in first division this was 10000 wich isn't bad in a city of 40.000.

Anderlecht are the all time best club but Standard are generally regarded as the team with the most individual talent as off the last coulle of years and the most talented team as of this season.

@Vff : I'm not saying he will implement the same measures here but it was just an example of his way of working. Btw he gave the stadium to his gilfriend. As they are not married, she can demand rent from STVV. The same is possible with you.

To name our best player I would have to think hard. None have excelled actually. If would have to give a name it would be Naim Arab ( a player on loan from ujpest btw). You might know Lauri Dalle Valle or Mehdi Lazaar from English football.
  • Options
    Have admit it doesnt sound ideal but if I was forced to choose... I'd much rather watch up and coming talent at Charlton (provided we were able to compete of course) than play someone who is old and past it, especially as the latter type of player is kinda what caused our downfall into League One (i.e. JFH / Graeme Murty etc...) - It also makes me wonder if on that note... Will Jacko get a new Contract?