Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Comments

• Options
    nope alas tis not
  • Options

http://m.espn.go.com/soccer/story?storyId=934507&src=desktop

Doesnt seem entirely happy with best players leaving

That's Because he is a Standard Fan.

We are Certainly Number 2 under him IMO and JC, CS and YK i can see going to Liege within 2 seasons (Maybe JC longer because of his age)

I can see us being a Championship top 10 side, and us being stable for once.

But i'll take that, with the FPR and the trust, he cant really bulls us up with our own stadium so,

It can't be any worse then our current lot
  • Options
    Anftitk?
  • Options
    In response to STTV fan;

Firstly thank you for your input it is much appreciated and gives us a good insight into what this mans motives may be. However it doesn't worry me. If he was planning on 'using us' then great. He can send us the best players to get them noticed to make more money, we get goals we get points we also get noticed. He can use us as an investment, best way of making a huge profit is to get us into the premier league! Look at it this way, the league in Belgium isn't quite upto premier league here and as STTV fan stated only a couple would survive in the British premier league so buying a decentish championship side with bigger aspirations, a good fan base and London based too to pair with Standard Liege a very good Belgian side, which here would maybe be mid table premiership sounds like a pretty good match. If he wants to use us to make them better and/or to make him more money then I say let's be his bitch! :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Standard Liege are nowhere near a mid premiership team! I honestly don't even think they would win the championship. They lost to Hannover 96 4-0 fairly recently and they're currently in the bottom half of the Bundesliga...

They literally beat the worst kind of European teams. Standard do seem to have some decent players and they would probably beat Charlton (the state we're in atm) but they aren't as good as some people are making out.

If Roland does takeover Charlton and was to use us to benefit Standard it would be mental. So much more to gain from pushing for Charlton to be a premiership side again than to juice up a squad that might not even win a league no one takes seriously and that won't progress in European competitions.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Anftitk?

Anftitk?
  • Options
    I dont know how reliable the guys info is but Angeldust on ITTV is suggesting the deal is off
  • Options
    I might be missing something but in what way would aquiring Charlton be of benefit to Standard Leige?

It's not as though there's sacks of cash lying around or players worth millions to be sold or moved onto Leige, who from our team would get into the Leige first team? Yes we might point to Solly and Cousins but would they really get into the first team and would you really pay £18m just to be able to move Solly and Cousins over when both would probably fetch around £5-£6m transfer fees combined? either way the fee would be cheaper than buying the whole club.

And I can't see Leige ferrying over here on a daily basis to take control of our training ground.

They couldn't even change ownership on The Valley without ACV coming into play which I suspect in desperate times would even allow the Football League to block The Valley being given as a 'present' to anyone.

So for me I just can't see beyond this being a way for Roland to see Charlton as an opportunity to make him money, get us into The Premier League and then at some point sell up for a profit. I have no problem with this whatsoever and it's the only incentive really I can see in buying us and if that's the case let him get on with it.
  • Options
    I have a bad feeling about this.As some of you know iam based in the lowlands and what i have been reading about this person tells me he belives a football club will give him abetter return on his money than a bank will.Charlton costs so many million ayear to run and runs at a loss.Getting players from his other clubs will only weaken the other clubs and if the players of the other clubs are better than what we have why not sell them to a higher club that has money.The only way he will make money out of Charlton is to invest millions into our club can not see him doing this.so i ask myself why does he want to buy another football club.Things do not add up.He can make more money by pushing Standard into the Champions League than at Charlton.
  • Options

Things do not add up.He can make more money by pushing Standard into the Champions League than at Charlton.

I don't think so. Considering Standard are unlikely to do anything in the CL they will make very little from it in comparison to the riches on offer in the Premier League.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bubble said:

I dont know how reliable the guys info is but Angeldust on ITTV is suggesting the deal is off

I know that a lot of people claim to be ITK, but this fella is usually bang on the money - he doesn't comment often, but what he says is worth listening to, in my experience.

As you can problem tell from my comment earlier in the thread - if the deal is off, then I'm not dreadfully upset. It may be that we have just dodged a bullet....that's assuming that anyone else is still interested, of course.

• Options
    Looking back at his previous posts he has definitely seemed to be talking sense about some things, but his posts about Wordsworth are well off the money.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

Things do not add up.He can make more money by pushing Standard into the Champions League than at Charlton.

But from what iam reading he does not want to spend so much money on Charlton no there is another reason behind him.Find that reason and maybe all will become clear.
    I don't think so. Considering Standard are unlikely to do anything in the CL they will make very little from it in comparison to the riches on offer in the Premier League.
  • Options

STTV fan:

So by now I am sure you feel very welcome here, but be warned, it is Hotel California. You can check out any time you want , but you can never leave. We have a regular poster called operation pig. He is a Wednesday fan who pitched up here three years ago to wind us up. He is still with us :-)

Anyway here's my question

What do you think is Duchatelets attitude towards academies. Ours recently produced JonJo Shelvey, and Carl Jenkinson of Arsenal, as well as the two most talented players in our current team. But academies are not cheap to run, and ours needs an investment to take it to the next level which gives greater protection against other clubs nicking the talent. Will Duchatelet appreciate the business sense of developing our own talent, or does he enjoy trading players, and therefore neglect or even close down out academy? Does Standard have a decent academy?

Haha. Well, impossible is nothing I guess. I do love football so why not follow an extra team.

I think your academy is probably the one thing you don't have to be worried about. At STVV the one thing he put cash in was the youth academy. The only problem was thar there were no strong foundations and you cannot expect immediate results. I guess it took too long for Duchatelet at STVV so when the opportunity arose, he bought Standard who have produced a lot of class acts as of late. Players like Fellaini, Nacer Chadli of the Spurs, Axel Witsel, Benteke, and so on have been in the Standard Academy for atleast a while.

So if you have some prospects already, he might invest even more.

I do believe Charlton have the potential of being a bigger club than Standard but with Duchatelet it's about money. Charlton may play in the Premier league again with some investments but getting into Europe is what raises the players' value. Qnd with all due respect I do not see Charlton becoming a top 6 regular. While Standard with little investment should play in Europe every year. That's my point. It's about money with this fellow. And as long as the club is usefull to him when having succes he will invest. Otherwise he will just let it be.

So it is possible Duchatelet wants to get you guys into the premiership again but what if you get there, he sells the club but only after emptying the club. Because you have to realize, he never gave STVV any money. He lend it to us. So when he left he demanded percentages of future transfers as well as take the sell on money from Mignolets transfer from Sunderland to Liverpool.
  • Options
    Bubble said:

If he says it's off - it's off. Fact.

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Bubble said:

FFS
  • Options
    FFFFFFFFFFFFS
  • Options
    This whole takeover stuff can go f**k itself
  • Options
    If this is the second takeover to fail at the final hurdle - what is the issue that keeps stopping them happening?
  • Options
    Surprise Surprise
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If this is the second takeover to fail at the final hurdle - what is the issue that keeps stopping them happening?

We'll end with the bloke who doesn't spot whatever "it" is and end up worse off.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Bubble said:

whys that then who is he

• Options
    Im bored of this now
  • Options
    Do you think this means the Yank is back?
  • Options
    sick to the back teeth of all of it.

and why post a three liner on the OS unless they were fairly certain it was done?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    As the club had issued a statement on the OS, if it has fallen through then they've gotta give us a follow up right? Or is that too much to ask.
  • Options
    So the belgium smoke screen comes to light, time for josh to push it over the line. Or is Ackers closer to the truth.....the plot thickens, the truth is out there, AB knew!
  • Options
    Well ITTV reports a hitch that grew - not another buyer so doubt it means the Yank is back in the frame.
  • Options
    Wait for a source with a statement. Still have not heard anything official on either side.
  • Options
    This is all about a new stadium do you really think the belgium fella had the money for that.