Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

STVVfan your contribution is very welcome, many thanks.

Seconded

• Options
    Charlton are of course one promotion away from the Premiership which is one of the top leagues in the World. That would have to enter into his thinking.
  • Options
    vff said:

STVV fan

But Duchatelet considers himself to be a visionair.

-----

I think you mean Visionary, visionair is a great word though.

Not sure about people who think they are visionaries, surely best applied by someone else. Does the visionary have a 5 year plan ?

Visionair is a word we use in Belgium. I thought it transcended from English. Thanks for the correction.

And funny you should mention it. First there was a five year plan and then a 10 point plan. Like a great dictator. Once he referred to himself as TINA : There is no alternative in an interview after a protest mars from STVV supporters. I was there and I was gutted.
  • Options
    Madz said:

Its an interesting insite and to be honest i can't see it as not being genuine given the information involved so much appreciated @STVVfan, thanks.

Although the insite comes with concerns, I still feel that this could be good for us. Ok the main concern to most fans (myself included) is we could lose young talent that comes through but in the same respect we could see young talent coming from abroad who could very well benefit us going forward. Should he be looking to sell our talent i could only see him selling players who would make a good profit rather than for bit fees that we are getting these days for our players. He is a business man and would only do things that make good business.

The other side of the coin to the insite though; is being successful in England going to bring him better financial rewards than being successful in the countries where he already owns clubs? I would say England is a real money spinner so he would be wise to invest in us and get the financial rewards in the Premiership (should we ever dream of being there again as I'm not getting carried away at all so don't worry). I can't honestly see Charlton being much of a feeder club to European giants as it stands, but we could well see the benefits in reverse much like Watford did with their agreements. I don't particulary want a team full of foreign players and would love to see us with a team of home grown stars, but lets be realistic, its the world we live in now, so if you can't beat them, join them.

I want good football back at Charlton. If thats a mix of European up and comers plus some of our own home grown talent then i'm all for it. Developing young players to make a profit can't be a bad thing because if we are able to develop to have them as worth a profit then we have surely done a good thing. If the club becomes successful there would be no need to sell them on to others.

I just hope in years to come we see this as a good move rather than a "What the hell did we do?"

We had exactly the same expectations when duchatelet arrived. We used to be a typical grey first division club with sometimes a great season, sometimes a battle against relegation but most of the time king of the draws. With duchatelet we hoped for just that little bit extra. Now i miss the grey days.
  • Options
    STVVfan said:

Thanks for your post STVV fan. I appreciate you seem to have got the shitty end of the stick. Charlton, as part of the English League system may be the 6th chronologically , but may not be 6th in terms of his priorities. Sorry if that sounds disrespectful. I don't really know the Belgian league in terms of income, footballing ability, attendance etc. Would you say Belgian league 2 and English championship teams are similar? Because I guess that would have some bearing on what we might expect from Duchatelet.

I wouldn't say there is a ranking system. Standard is priority for now but foremost because he want's to shut up the critics and get some glory for winning a championship. It is mainly about making money out of players.Letting them play at different clubs and leagues, finishing in Liege and selling on with a profit.

If he wants to take us over and have some glory in winning a championship then i would have absolutely no problem with this.
    And if he insists on playing younger players with the aim of selling them on at a profit to bigger clubs then so be it because if he's doing that then the club would be doing well. Unless you are United, City or Chelsea then that's pretty much the way of life for most clubs in the country.
  • Options

seth plum said:

STVVfan your contribution is very welcome, many thanks.

Seconded

No problem. Just thought you'd like a head's up. I wish yoj all the best of luck with or without Duchatelet. I'll check in later.
  • Options
    STVVfan said:

vff said:

STVV fan

But Duchatelet considers himself to be a visionair.

-----

I think you mean Visionary, visionair is a great word though.

Not sure about people who think they are visionaries, surely best applied by someone else. Does the visionary have a 5 year plan ?

Visionair is a word we use in Belgium. I thought it transcended from English. Thanks for the correction.

And funny you should mention it. First there was a five year plan and then a 10 point plan. Like a great dictator. Once he referred to himself as TINA : There is no alternative in an interview after a protest mars from STVV supporters. I was there and I was gutted.
    You will find Charlton Life posters very helpful with correcting your written English ! People who describe them as Visionaires, I tend to associate with meglomania.

I mention the 5 year plan slightly tongue in cheek (English expression = joking) as our current Charlton owners allegedly had a 5 year plan, though it wasn't clear at the end what that was.

Anything mentioned in the Duchelet 5 year plan / 10 point plan for STVV ?
  • Options
    http://m.espn.go.com/soccer/story?storyId=934507&src=desktop

Doesnt seem entirely happy with best players leaving
  • Options

class="Quote" rel="STVVfan">

Thanks for your post STVV fan. I appreciate you seem to have got the shitty end of the stick. Charlton, as part of the English League system may be the 6th chronologically , but may not be 6th in terms of his priorities. Sorry if that sounds disrespectful. I don't really know the Belgian league in terms of income, footballing ability, attendance etc. Would you say Belgian league 2 and English championship teams are similar? Because I guess that would have some bearing on what we might expect from Duchatelet.

I wouldn't say there is a ranking system. Standard is priority for now but foremost because he want's to shut up the critics and get some glory for winning a championship. It is mainly about making money out of players.Letting them play at different clubs and leagues, finishing in Liege and selling on with a profit.

If he wants to take us over and have some glory in winning a championship then i would have absolutely no problem with this.
    And if he insists on playing younger players with the aim of selling them on at a profit to bigger clubs then so be it because if he's doing that then the club would be doing well. Unless you are United, City or Chelsea then that's pretty much the way of life for most clubs in the country.
    Indeed but then you bring those players slowly. You give them time. And you put the profit back into the club. Not into a private bank account.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why does everyone new get are you Palace or Millwall, TBH its pathetic................ to think a Smallwall fan could put a sentence together that well
  • Options
    Do we know what the clubs he currently own cost him each year. I believe taking us on at the current time will cost him about £5m a year. He may be getting us on the cheap but to protect his investment surely he will have to invest further in the Club and push for the glories and percieved financial rewards of the Premiership. Doesn't make sense for him to use us as a feeder for Liege; far too costly! (I hope).
  • Options
    Right last time checking before in 7 hr flight to Dubai, I fully expect this to have been completed by the time I land
  • Options
    Our new leader showing some skills
  • Options

One of the most hilarious moments I ever witnessed. Duchatelet wanted to prove to the referee and journalists that the pitch wasn't slippery and football was a must that evening.

• Options
    STVVfan said:

One of the most hilarious moments I ever witnessed. Duchatelet wanted to prove to the referee and journalists that the pitch wasn't slippery and football was a must that evening.

Some 'Tekkers' (good moves) there. can he play Right Midfield?
  • Options
    Haha that is actually really good balance seeing he had his hands in his pockets at the time
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Right last time checking before in 7 hr flight to Dubai, I fully expect this to have been completed by the time I land

Enjoy mate

And be prepared to be disappointed !
  • Options
    So my original tongue in cheek post about him being either a naive 1968 Paris idealist or a megalomaniac might be nearer the mark than I had hoped. So, as he is also using Maggies 'TINA' catchphrase, I am not feeling reassured! Thank you for your input STTVfan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Are you resurrecting the Zabeel deal? Coincidentally, just had a note from friend out there. She tells me to keep an eye out on New Year when they plan to light up the Palm...enjoy ;-)

http://m.espn.go.com/soccer/story?storyId=934507&src=desktop

Doesnt seem entirely happy with best players leaving

I read that more that he was disappointed he didn't get a better deal for Witsel and felt a little hamstrung by an agreement from the previous owners, rather than he wouldn't have sold him anyway but for a higher fee.

Unfortunately, as 3 years ago, beggars can't be choosers and we can only hope that any new owner holds their nerve and aims for the upper end of the Championship and potential promotion. Whatever happens to Palace this season, they needed promotion and the transformational effect that could come from the financial package...a bit like us in 98 when we needed to win the play-off, but Sunderland could more easily survive a further year in Div 1. They bounced back the next year and we did the same after getting the boost from that initial season up there.
  • Options
    Thanks @STVVfan for sharing with us a lot of useful information.It is almost a done deal now so what can we do other than hope for the best and prepare for the worst....

Anyway,I wonder if any of his six clubs has been relegated under him?Personally I think to stay in the Championship is our top priority this season and with our current owners,we don't seem to be safe at the moment.Do you think our Championship status will still be at stake after Duchalet takes over?And surely we couldn't be a tool for him to make money if we got relegated to League One?

Do we know what the clubs he currently own cost him each year. I believe taking us on at the current time will cost him about £5m a year. He may be getting us on the cheap but to protect his investment surely he will have to invest further in the Club and push for the glories and percieved financial rewards of the Premiership. Doesn't make sense for him to use us as a feeder for Liege; far too costly! (I hope).

My thoughts too.
  • Options
    I remember Lauri Dalla Valle. He was at Liverpool briefly wasn't he? And then maybe Fulham. I remember him being brilliant on Football Manager along with Alex Tettey who is now at Norwich and Daniel Fredheim Holm who I've never heard of since. Always signed them for Charlton back in the day
  • Options
    Charlton as it stands is a money pit. Nobody it their right mind would buy it unless they thought that could be turned around and a profit could be turned at some point. I think that is exactly what TJ and MS thought but then the real Cashman pulled the plug. Duchatelet I suspect has the same plan as the last lot. Create either a team challenging for the Prem or with luck get them there and then sell.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Charlton as it stands is a money pit. Nobody it their right mind would buy it unless they thought that could be turned around and a profit could be turned at some point. I think that is exactly what TJ and MS thought but then the real Cashman pulled the plug. Duchatelet I suspect has the same plan as the last lot. Create either a team challenging for the Prem or with luck get them there and then sell.

Yes I agree - nobody would buy us without a plan to achieve this. Whether it works or not is another matter but it can't possibly involve keeping things as they are. If it does, there is probably enough about us to survive this season, but possibly not next. So, as logic dictates, the plan will involve some investment - and we do already have some very good players - we should be positive about it IMO.
  • Options

STVVfan said:

Would getting relegated and then winning League One, again, next season count as "glory"?
  • Options

I think our current owners had a sound plan to be fair which seemed to be working, whatever you think of them as businessmen, but it didn't factor in KC pulling the rug away. Had he accepted it was going to cost a little more than anticpated, I think we would now be battling at the top of the division for a place in the Premiership and the relative riches that would bring!

As has been pointed out by others. If we are to be sold as seems likely - history will probably look at the MS and TJ reign more positively than it currently feels it should. Mainly I suspect because they managed to find a new captain before the ship hit the iceberg they were heading for and that they took us on as a Legaue One club on teh brink of administration and left us as a Championship club - which after being sold would no longer be on the brink of doom..

It's a fair comment and decent observation. When TJ / MS have left us in a decent position and have departed, I may be able to feel more like that.
  • Options
    I posted this on another thread yesterday (edited) about this potential takeover and since then my gut instinct has been telling me that we could be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. STTV fan's views have only increased this:

We need a takeover and we need one now. However, I can't shake the feeling that it won't be good news for us if this fella end ups in charge - there are just too many potential pitfalls and this guy may well represent the archetypal interfering foreign owner and wannabe manager, but one without any serious money to really change things (he has a number of clubs who all want his cash - where would we figure?). Think what it would be like having Vincent Tan's guiding 'input' without the corresponding finances....

Of course, I hope I'm wrong, but there are many things that I have seen related to this man that have flagged up as potential problems (not least his hobby of collecting football clubs and allegedly distributing them to family members).

Whoever the 'other parties' are (if, indeed, there are any), I hope that they pull their finger out save us from this man - I for one don't fancy our club having to pay rent to his favourite Pekingese, or whatever, when he decides he's bored of us and wants to concentrate on another one of his growing collection of football clubs.....

We need a short term solution, admittedly, but If this takeover goes through, I won't be celebrating as it will arguably bring yet more heartache down the line - how could it possibly end well?
  • Options
    STTV fan:

So by now I am sure you feel very welcome here, but be warned, it is Hotel California. You can check out any time you want , but you can never leave. We have a regular poster called operation pig. He is a Wednesday fan who pitched up here three years ago to wind us up. He is still with us :-)

Anyway here's my question

What do you think is Duchatelets attitude towards academies. Ours recently produced JonJo Shelvey, and Carl Jenkinson of Arsenal, as well as the two most talented players in our current team. But academies are not cheap to run, and ours needs an investment to take it to the next level which gives greater protection against other clubs nicking the talent. Will Duchatelet appreciate the business sense of developing our own talent, or does he enjoy trading players, and therefore neglect or even close down out academy? Does Standard have a decent academy?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Is it done yet?