Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fines for taking kids out of school - right / wrong ?

(Apologies Ormiston, ballsed up here with a c+p)

Ormy said in the Holiday thread that schools seem to be taking a much tougher stance on the fining of taking kids on holiday during school time.

What's everyone's thoughts on it ?

Comments

• Options
    No worries AFKA, am very interested in this as I know there are loads of parents on here who will be facing this problem.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I believe the Government recently relieved the head-teachers of the right to use their common sense on this issue, and moved the decision making higher up the food chain.

Surely, it's a question of communication, ensuring your kids don't miss out (on their education) and not taking the piss.

• Options
    I think, as with many things these days, that a handful of people behave irresponsibly and a law gets brought in that ends up punishing everyone else and removing any scope for common sense.
  • Options
    From a School perspective: Know your pupils and their domestic circumstances. Assess on an individual basis rather than 'one size fits all.'

From a Parental perspective: Realise the value of education and only take children on holiday during term time either as an absolute last resort if the harmony and quality of family life absolutely warrants it or if the holiday offers genuine educational opportunities in its own right.

Principle of Fining People: Disagree with it. Only the courts should have that right and sometimes not even then!

• Options
    AKFA, my wife is a Primary School Teacher. Her view along with other teachers is that even one week out throws things out of sync.
    One of the reasons is that the students/children can absorb so much in a short space of time.
    Equally, if schools fail to meet targets the Govt. comes down on them like a ton of bricks.
    It is just a shame that holidays in peak times are priced up to the max.

• Options

Fines probably wouldn't be required if the holiday places didn't quadruple (I'm thinking about Center Parcs in particular here) their prices during the school holidays.

That's the central part of the problem but what can you really do about them over-charging?

I get the feeling this could turn quite nasty as a lot of people pre-book their holidays well in advance and won't change them if the school turns down their request for absence.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I think schools can often pick on parents who are not so good at putting together a coherent letter (or sometimes clever bullshit) explaining any benefits for holidays for the kids. for instance whenever I've had to take my son out of school Ive explained well all the benefits for him, be it emotional or cultural and its got permission from the school.

I guess the important thing is actually putting in an absence request and sticking by the answer the school gives
  • Options
    I think many people are forgetting that a holiday is a luxury, not a necessity. I had a grand total of 1 overseas holiday when I was in school as we simply couldn't afford it. The rest of the time we went camping in the UK or just didn't go at all.

I agree that the prices charged for trips in school holidays are outrageous but I'm not sure how this can be regulated. Any attempt to prevent increases in holiday prices during the school holidays will simply result in increases in holidya prices across the board.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Waiting to hear back from the school about the three days we need for our half term holiday. Will post back the response as and when we receive it. Understand the importance of school, in fact my kids get annoyed with me constantly telling them about it but it's important to spend time as a family also.
  • Options

Fines probably wouldn't be required if the holiday places didn't quadruple (I'm thinking about Center Parcs in particular here) their prices during the school holidays.

That's the central part of the problem but what can you really do about them over-charging?

I get the feeling this could turn quite nasty as a lot of people pre-book their holidays well in advance and won't change them if the school turns down their request for absence.
    Agreed - what can be done in a free market economy? If people pay it, they will carry on charging it. Talking about pre-booking, my daughter went on holiday with her mother in the summer holidays at the end of August, but the secondary school that she got into started it's new term in late August! There was no fine though - that would have been harsh.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Work it the other way round. Would you be happy if teachers took holiday in term time?
  • Options

Work it the other way round. Would you be happy if teachers took holiday in term time?

One teacher can be teaching up to 120 kids in a day so 120 kids will have their day affected. If one kid is absent it doesn't really affect any of the classes.

• Options

Personally i think it is ridiculous. Nothing will convince me that what a 6-10yr old covers in school during one week can't be easily caught up / done in advance.

Quality family time is in my opinion more essential than a week at school.

Exactly right AFKA . Proper family time is a must , weekends are usually busy with kids parties , clubs etc and when you get home from work it's usually bath and bed . Holidays are where you will spend decent time with your kids , if that means taking them out of school for a day or a week because it's that much cheaper then so be it .

• Options

Sadly, and I know this will irritate many, it really is a question of supply and demand basics - the demand curve shifts significantly in school holidays and so, therefore, does price.

Notwithstanding this, if most holiday companies and the like were to keep their prices more 'reasonable' during school holidays they'd probably make a loss over the year. Factoring in the prices that can be achieved at peak times is key to holiday firms achieving acceptable profits (not extortionate profits).

I think there is some scope for schools allowing kids to be absent from school during term time but only if it is in a period that doesn't severely impact education e.g. if they're prepared to miss participating in Sports Day, House football/cricket, school play etc. etc.

• Options

Personally i think it is ridiculous. Nothing will convince me that what a 6-10yr old covers in school during one week can't be easily caught up / done in advance.

I agree with this and find it apalling that holiday companies maximise the opportunity to rip people off.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

I think many people are forgetting that a holiday is a luxury, not a necessity. I had a grand total of 1 overseas holiday when I was in school as we simply couldn't afford it. The rest of the time we went camping in the UK or just didn't go at all.

I agree that the prices charged for trips in school holidays are outrageous but I'm not sure how this can be regulated. Any attempt to prevent increases in holiday prices during the school holidays will simply result in increases in holidya prices across the board.

Our childhood holiday experiences sound identical!

Had one family holiday to Mallorca at aged 16 and the rest were at Butlins in Bognor Regis or camping in Sussex!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

How is a break from work a luxury? In today's workplace you are encouraged, in fact made to take your full quota of holiday. The whole point of work-life balance is treated very seriously.

A holiday in my view is almost a necessity. Many people find a holiday a great way to break up the work year, to provide something to look forward to, provides an opportunity for relaxation and quality time with friends, partners and family.

Good quality family time should be encouraged, not seen as a luxury. For holiday resorts inthe UK & abroad to raise their prices to such an extent and price out the worse off in society is disgusting. So the rich can continue to holiday and spend family time, but the working class have to work longer hours, reducing good quality family life, in order to even dream of saving for a family holiday, be that in Bognor or Barcelona.

Taking a week off school, if you've pre-arranged to take away work and arranged to catch up after should not be an issue at all!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we questioned it when it was said to me by the head of my boys school, I told him I have no problem with a fine as long as I can get him to sign my contract that says that I can impose a fine when his teachers strike, seemed to do the trick, authorised absence approved
  • Options
    Well said, SLL .

( BTW Is this a first from me ?)

:-)
  • Options
    Shrew said:

One teacher can be teaching up to 120 kids in a day so 120 kids will have their day affected. If one kid is absent it doesn't really affect any of the classes.

And if that same kid then comes back to the teacher later in the school year and asks for help / resources on something they missed because they were on holiday? Then it does effect the teacher and the time he / she can then devote to other kids and classes.
  • Options
    wrong .. schools should be discretionary places for learning not prisons requiring parole for periods of absence and to keep the 'kids' off the streets while mum & dad are out at work greasing the wheels of industry and commerce ..
  • Options

Fair enough AKFA. Nevertheless, parents do not take their kids away at the same time. It can be a nightmarish balancing act with classes of 25 plus.
    Maybe the answer could be that the parents cooperate with the teacher bringing there child back up to speed;however, many are unable or unwilling to do that.
    Mr. Gove is applying a lot of pressure at the moment and can I just say he is being very hard to please and thats being diplomatic!

• Options
    There were plans a couple of years ago to stagger the summer holiday period and not have it in a 6 week block but nothing came of it.

Can see both sides but my wife's a head at an infant school and she's dead against it, mainly for the same reasons that pettgra mentions.

Another problem is that once you've given one family permission you set a precedent and run the risk of a flood of requests.

• Options
    pettgra said:

Fair enough AKFA. Nevertheless, parents do not take their kids away at the same time. It can be a nightmarish balancing act with classes of 25 plus.
    Maybe the answer could be that the parents cooperate with the teacher bringing there child back up to speed;however, many are unable or unwilling to do that.
    Mr. Gove is applying a lot of pressure at the moment and can I just say he is being very hard to please and thats being diplomatic!

The man is clueless.
  • Options
    I've not got kids so this part more a thought rather than an opinion...

As you say if you get taken out of school for a week you should be able to catch up, well then if when the child returns to school and their grades stay the same it proves the Holiday hasnt had any effect so no need to enforce a fine... If though when the child returns their grades slip for a while before rising again then maybe introduce it.

Trouble is though you never used to get fines for taking kids out of school (in Year 9 I was away about 3 or 4 times for various long Weekends) and it never hindered my studies that year... Add that to the fact that Technology has improved so much since then (Year 9 for me was 1998) it'll make catching up so much easier because there are more tools available.

There should maybe also be a law passed that says Companies cant hike up their prices so much (maybe a little for their profits so not to take the piss) just because its the School Holidays / the Olympics in that City or the World Cup is on...

Especially with the school holidays thats almost a form of discrimination (although I hate that word) against those with kids (i.e. sorry if you want a normal costing holiday each year thats fine... But you cant have children!!!)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Spot on, Suzi - saved me a job