Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Come in No 4 your time is up! (Ed. Page 33 - Jackson signs new contract to 2023)

Comments

• Agree 100pc. Moving cousins out wide to accommodate him was madness from CP. Great for us two years ago. Behind Astrit, Poyet, cousins now.

2nd post on this thread
  • Rob7Lee said:

wmcf123 said:

Just like to point out that this thread was started in the 2013/4 season.

We are now in the 2017/18 season

Nuff said

I wonder how many times the words humble pie have been mentioned on this thread. Must be a record.
    Agreed, although I suspect most of us are pretty pleased that's he's not a starting midfielder now
    Yep bit he still could and will do a job for us.
    In the right system i'd start him, maybe not every week but I think he'd shine at most away games.

He could easily play in front of the back 4 in an old fashioned sweeper role, but he doesn't really suit Robinson intense style, his football brain is still quicker than most though which gets him through. I'd certainly have him on the bench most of the time, you don't forget where the net is.
    Love the bloke, but no - he couldn't.
    I disagree, we may not need him too with the midfielders we have and it's not Robinsons style but he's still got the legs to play in a 4 1 4 1 or 4 1 3 2 system being in front of the back 4 with the right other players but not a centre 2, not often anyway - where did he play against Exeter.

On his fitness I think you underestimate him, he managed 90 minutes at Exeter but his recovery period post a match is longer hence player/coach suits that. His body probably couldn't cope with 90 minutes week in week out especially over winter much like Solly for different reasons.

He may be in the later stages of a career but he's been written off for how many years now? I still believe in our relegation year if from January onwards you'd have let him choose what other 10 players he wanted to go into battle with we'd have remained a championship team. He knows how to win and how to grind out a result and get others to do the same, he's the best leader we've had for 10+ years and the importance of that shouldn't be underestimated.

Either way this debate will carry on until the golden boots are hung up at the end of the season.
  • His main contribution now is his influence in the dressing room.
    He has the total respect of his fellow players and his attitude has always been spot on.
    I love the fact he is now one of our main coaches and I would name him as a sub just in case we need to Nick a goal late on.
    A future Charlton manager I am sure.
  • Agree 100pc. Moving cousins out wide to accommodate him was madness from CP. Great for us two years ago. Behind Astrit, Poyet, cousins now.

2nd post on this thread
    Harsh to bring that up. Astrit was a decent little player, Cousins was breaking through and who was player of the year?
  • Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

wmcf123 said:

Nuff said

I wonder how many times the words humble pie have been mentioned on this thread. Must be a record.
    Agreed, although I suspect most of us are pretty pleased that's he's not a starting midfielder now
    In the right system i'd start him, maybe not every week but I think he'd shine at most away games.

He could easily play in front of the back 4 in an old fashioned sweeper role, but he doesn't really suit Robinson intense style, his football brain is still quicker than most though which gets him through. I'd certainly have him on the bench most of the time, you don't forget where the net is.
    I disagree, we may not need him too with the midfielders we have and it's not Robinsons style but he's still got the legs to play in a 4 1 4 1 or 4 1 3 2 system being in front of the back 4 with the right other players but not a centre 2, not often anyway - where did he play against Exeter.

On his fitness I think you underestimate him, he managed 90 minutes at Exeter but his recovery period post a match is longer hence player/coach suits that. His body probably couldn't cope with 90 minutes week in week out especially over winter much like Solly for different reasons.

He may be in the later stages of a career but he's been written off for how many years now? I still believe in our relegation year if from January onwards you'd have let him choose what other 10 players he wanted to go into battle with we'd have remained a championship team. He knows how to win and how to grind out a result and get others to do the same, he's the best leader we've had for 10+ years and the importance of that shouldn't be underestimated.

Either way this debate will carry on until the golden boots are hung up at the end of the season.
    Yeah we should drop Kashi and play Jackson instead.

I don't mind Jackson playing occasionally but he can't start anymore, especially as a DM or LB. Best used for 20 mins when we need a bloke.

Jackson has been a rare great servant during times of uncertainty and I am delighted he is still with the club. I think Blackpool72 is spot on with his purpose this season.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

wmcf123 said:

Nuff said

His fitness has often been underestimated but the team would suffer with him as a DM over Kashi. That's not to say he hasn't got anything to offer on the pitch, but I'm not sure that role suits him.

If Kashi is out I'd like to see Dijksteel get a chance over Crofts or Jackson.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

wmcf123 said:

Nuff said

I don't mind Jackson playing occasionally but he can't start anymore, especially as a DM or LB. Best used for 20 mins when we need a bloke.

Jackson has been a rare great servant during times of uncertainty and I am delighted he is still with the club. I think Blackpool72 is spot on with his purpose this season.
    That's not what I said, my first line said we don't need to with the Midfielders we now have and the style Robinson plays and not for him in a centre 2. Jackson at his age doesn't fit that style to start every week or in front of JFC or Kashi.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

wmcf123 said:

Nuff said

That's not what I said, my first line said we don't need to with the Midfielders we now have and the style Robinson plays and not for him in a centre 2. Jackson at his age doesn't fit that style to start every week or in front of JFC or Kashi.
    Entitled to your opinion of course. Bit of a pointless discussion as Robinson has his system which will not change. He is still certainly a useful League 1 player

2nd post on this thread
    Harsh to bring that up. Astrit was a decent little player, Cousins was breaking through and who was player of the year?
    point was it was four seasons ago

2nd post on this thread
    true enough. Maybe 4 seasons too late, but it's probably about right now. He certainly hasn't been as important in the last 4 years as he was in the few before that, but we have been and still are, lucky to have him.
  • Sponsored links:

2nd post on this thread
    true enough. Maybe 4 seasons too late, but it's probably about right now. He certainly hasn't been as important in the last 4 years as he was in the few before that, but we have been and still are, lucky to have him.
    Well, he is also four years older.

Point is same people were writing him off four years ago but he just played 90 mins in a win.

2nd post on this thread

Point is same people were writing him off four years ago but he just played 90 mins in a win.
    4 years ago we were talking about a Championship midfield. Now he just played in a cup game against League 2 opposition (wouldn't have played if Page was fit).

2nd post on this thread

4 years ago we were talking about a Championship midfield. Now he just played in a cup game against League 2 opposition (wouldn't have played if Page was fit).
    all true but clearly his legs haven't gone now and they certainly hadn't gone four seasons ago when this thread was started.

If I say Konsa's legs have gone I will be right. Eventually.
    yeah not disagreeing with you mate. I would say his legs are going now, but of course looking back with the fact this was started 4 years ago is laughable.
  • edited August 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

His legs are still there... They're poking out of his shorts and appear to slide into some socks... The other bloke also has legs, but they're a bit more stubby...

Why is the Official site posting a picture of Solly and Jacko enjoying a whizz in a rockpool?
  • I've said for years he would be a good player to come off the bench to score us a goal if in need. Whenever this thread us been brought back up by the same old posters it's because he has scored a goal and not his all round play on the pitch.
  • Having his head in the dressing room is one of the most important things for this club. Especially right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017
  • Dazzler21 said:

His legs are still there... They're poking out of his shorts and appear to slide into some socks... The other bloke also has legs, but they're a bit more stubby...

Katrien is happy as we've seen the back of Solly and Jacko
  • Does this one have the record for most thread resurrections ever on CL?
  • Nicholas said:

I've said for years he would be a good player to come off the bench to score us a goal if in need. Whenever this thread us been brought back up by the same old posters it's because he has scored a goal and not his all round play on the pitch.

There were a couple of games as recent as the end of last season when he dragged us through by sheer commitment and determination.

What was the away game that finally ended our terrible run under Karl? Can't remember where it was but Jacko came back into the side and was exceptional. His all round play as well as his leadership was the difference that day. And no he didn't score.
  • Taking quite the while to come in, isn't he?
  • CAFCTrev said:

Does this one have the record for most thread resurrections ever on CL?

I'm sure George Cole has that record.
    RIP
  • Nicholas said:

I've said for years he would be a good player to come off the bench to score us a goal if in need. Whenever this thread us been brought back up by the same old posters it's because he has scored a goal and not his all round play on the pitch.

There were a couple of games as recent as the end of last season when he dragged us through by sheer commitment and determination.

What was the away game that finally ended our terrible run under Karl? Can't remember where it was but Jacko came back into the side and was exceptional. His all round play as well as his leadership was the difference that day. And no he didn't score.
    Every player will have a very good game once in a while no matter who you are, however his not good enough, fit enough games have completely out weighed those. It's not a dig at Jacko he has been fantastic over the years and a brilliant servant at the club. However he declined rapidly after we got promoted from league one, and in my opinion he should have been coming off the bench a lot more. Jacko has only lasted so long in the first team purely because we change manager every 5 minutes and Jacko is seen as Mr Charlton and rightly so and is an easy option. Also we have always had such small squads we have had to play him because there is no one else.
  • Nicholas said:

Nicholas said:

Every player will have a very good game once in a while no matter who you are, however his not good enough, fit enough games have completely out weighed those. It's not a dig at Jacko he has been fantastic over the years and a brilliant servant at the club. However he declined rapidly after we got promoted from league one, and in my opinion he should have been coming off the bench a lot more. Jacko has only lasted so long in the first team purely because we change manager every 5 minutes and Jacko is seen as Mr Charlton and rightly so and is an easy option. Also we have always had such small squads we have had to play him because there is no one else.
    I agree he has declined although I think it started later than you suggest. The previous 2 seasons more so. I also agree his role now will be mostly off the pitch and off the bench. I was simply using that game last year to demonstrate he is still capable of putting in performances to drag us through tough times which will happen at some point this season. His experience and character will see us through. The times when he is called upon he will do a job.

And this wasn't just a good game once in a while I remember coming away thinking he was the sole reason we won't that game and ended our dreadful run. He ran the show and dragged the whole team with him.
  • Nicholas said:

You mean where he effectively played sweeper :wink: he dragged us through a few games.