Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Millwall Watch

Comments

• Headline in The Wharf paper: 'Relegated, yes, but at least Millwall went down fighting'.

'Fighting' being the operative word.
  • How will the trip to Wolves be re-branded by the Millwall support? I can see a lot not going now, and those that do being in a bit of a mood.
  • This thread will die once everyone gets used to the idea of Millwall playing in League 1. I'm not being a pessimist but I just hope the next post after it has died for some months is not @MillwallFan reminding us about the thread when Millwall are runaway leaders of League 1 and we are struggling down the bottom of the Championship. Funnier things have happened in South London.
  • Loco said:

Happy to be relegated? Yeah of course you are............. less money being generated, poorer opposition to play against, even smaller crowds, and no real rivalry? Sounds a hoot.

The O's are still in with a shout.
    I reckon they'll now get relegated...just to avoid having to breathe the same air as the spanners next season! :wink:
  • This thread will die once everyone gets used to the idea of Millwall playing in League 1. I'm not being a pessimist but I just hope the next post after it has died for some months is not @MillwallFan reminding us about the thread when Millwall are runaway leaders of League 1 and we are struggling down the bottom of the Championship. Funnier things have happened in South London.

yeah, he'll be back.

I prefer to think that we will see an all new "relegation watch" for them next season, a bit like the new transfer threads...as they head towards L2!

To be revived annually and successfully :smile:
  • edited April 2015
    You lot are sad... but Millwall fans are even sadder right now! :joy:
  • come on @MillwallFan we can see your online

don't be shy we wont bite

Ha, I just leave the page open on safari along with a few others. Doesn't mean I'm constantly on here. I enjoy the banter on here, but not that much!
    70 pages and counting? truly obsessed! ;-) Has OohAah shot his load yet? I bet he can barely see his PC screen with all the man juice over it. (In the box room of his parents house that he still resides in, despite being well into his 40's).
    Can't be bothered to read through all the hundreds of posts on this thread since I was last on here but re our relegation, we deserved it. We've been pretty shit for the vast majority of the season, and even when we outed The Clown we had numerous chances to get out of trouble but blew it everytime.
    I'm really going to miss the championship. Desperately struggling to make it to 21st spot every season was so much fun. Going months on end without winning at home (until you lot rolled in to town) was a joy.
    Enjoy next season in the championship, where as usual nothing of any real interest happens at Charlton and no one really notices you. And enjoy your Millwall relegation party v Bournemouth on Saturday. Very strange. Shows how boring a season you've had when that's the highlight of it!
    Oh, and remember, you'll never beat Millwall. Twenty years and counting. ;-) xx
    Plenty of Millwall fans seem to genuinely feel that relegation's not too bad, football will be more enjoyable next season, etc.. Well if that's their look out, let them have it. Reveals some interesting underlying attitudes though:

First, there the lame acceptance of small club status (yo-yo between Champ & L1).. Like a footman in Downton Abbey knowing when to leave the room, Millwall fans seem incredibly resigned to being unable to compete at our level (except in 2 matches a season). Now, in the era of parachute payments you might argue that this is how the Championship has evolved, with the smallest teams invariably struggling. But Bournemouth & Brentford suggest otherwise...

And the flipside, of course. is that Millwall are assuming they are pretty much nailed-on to be a top-half L1 side, back to bossing it over the scullery maids downstairs . But it doesn't always work like that...ask a Plymouth fan..

There are parallels with our own relegation from the Prem... some of us (I plead guilty) felt the Champ was fine for a season or two after several years of grinding out 40 points...but as we soon found out, our two-season stay was not quite in the way we expected.

We've never beaten Dagenham & Redbridge in a league match, you know. Perhaps we never will. Oh, how they must be laughing at us....
    This is the least I've ever cared about relegation. A variety of reasons behind it, not really any that you mention above.

I think it's been a slow, painful slide to relegation. It's not been a shock, or huge disasters that have sealed our fate and made it hard to swallow. It's been 3+ years of gradual decline, with intermittent periods of hope which have kept us from exploding in rage.

We're paying for mistakes made even longer ago and not rectifying them until recently. We've made two horrendous appointments and only now do we seem to have acknowledged we need someone to oversee the whole football operation from top to bottom.

Things are looking better and we are probably better equipped this time to bounce back quicker & stronger. Although I don't think many expect an instant return, people are expecting better football, with a core of young players, managed by a club hero and a few more home wins than we've managed the past few seasons.

Your point about Bournemouth is incorrect though, they have spent £6.8m on transfers and pay some very hefty wages. They also posted big losses last year. Those figures may be small in comparison to some of the 'big' clubs in our league, but they are in excess of what we can afford (& we still lose £5m a year)
    The fact you have Harris now as manager is a bonus for the identity and meaning of the club, getting players playing for shirts etc. I don't know much about your team. You are right you want to focus on youth, most clubs with our financial restraints have to. However, you need a clever summer recruitment of which experienced players to bring in with those youngsters. Keep Forde, he's a great club stalwart. Not sure what other senior players you would want to keep. you'll be in a better position to decide than me. Presumably Bailey can go. Big wage etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Must be a lot of sickness going around at the moment, i'm still waiting for a colleague at work who supports Millwall to show up.

Ha, I just leave the page open on safari along with a few others. Doesn't mean I'm constantly on here. I enjoy the banter on here, but not that much!
    70 pages and counting? truly obsessed! ;-) Has OohAah shot his load yet? I bet he can barely see his PC screen with all the man juice over it. (In the box room of his parents house that he still resides in, despite being well into his 40's).
    Can't be bothered to read through all the hundreds of posts on this thread since I was last on here but re our relegation, we deserved it. We've been pretty shit for the vast majority of the season, and even when we outed The Clown we had numerous chances to get out of trouble but blew it everytime.
    I'm really going to miss the championship. Desperately struggling to make it to 21st spot every season was so much fun. Going months on end without winning at home (until you lot rolled in to town) was a joy.
    Enjoy next season in the championship, where as usual nothing of any real interest happens at Charlton and no one really notices you. And enjoy your Millwall relegation party v Bournemouth on Saturday. Very strange. Shows how boring a season you've had when that's the highlight of it!
    Plenty of Millwall fans seem to genuinely feel that relegation's not too bad, football will be more enjoyable next season, etc.. Well if that's their look out, let them have it. Reveals some interesting underlying attitudes though:

First, there the lame acceptance of small club status (yo-yo between Champ & L1).. Like a footman in Downton Abbey knowing when to leave the room, Millwall fans seem incredibly resigned to being unable to compete at our level (except in 2 matches a season). Now, in the era of parachute payments you might argue that this is how the Championship has evolved, with the smallest teams invariably struggling. But Bournemouth & Brentford suggest otherwise...

And the flipside, of course. is that Millwall are assuming they are pretty much nailed-on to be a top-half L1 side, back to bossing it over the scullery maids downstairs . But it doesn't always work like that...ask a Plymouth fan..

There are parallels with our own relegation from the Prem... some of us (I plead guilty) felt the Champ was fine for a season or two after several years of grinding out 40 points...but as we soon found out, our two-season stay was not quite in the way we expected.

We've never beaten Dagenham & Redbridge in a league match, you know. Perhaps we never will. Oh, how they must be laughing at us....
    This is the least I've ever cared about relegation. A variety of reasons behind it, not really any that you mention above.

I think it's been a slow, painful slide to relegation. It's not been a shock, or huge disasters that have sealed our fate and made it hard to swallow. It's been 3+ years of gradual decline, with intermittent periods of hope which have kept us from exploding in rage.

We're paying for mistakes made even longer ago and not rectifying them until recently. We've made two horrendous appointments and only now do we seem to have acknowledged we need someone to oversee the whole football operation from top to bottom.

Things are looking better and we are probably better equipped this time to bounce back quicker & stronger. Although I don't think many expect an instant return, people are expecting better football, with a core of young players, managed by a club hero and a few more home wins than we've managed the past few seasons.

Your point about Bournemouth is incorrect though, they have spent £6.8m on transfers and pay some very hefty wages. They also posted big losses last year. Those figures may be small in comparison to some of the 'big' clubs in our league, but they are in excess of what we can afford (& we still lose £5m a year)
    You definitely come across as one of the decent ones from the Toolbox SLL - think thats a balanced response.

(god what's happening to me, I am being all reasoned with a Millwall fan. Need to go and have a lie down).

Fair point that Bournemouth aren't as small as they seem - though actually some of the cash they blew has not gone on the players that actually got them promoted. Most of that team could have been signed by you (or us). And then there is Brentford. .

I came in during the 60s when Charlton were in decline and yet there was never a meek acceptance that were doomed to forever flit between 30th and 55th place. I'm genuinely surprised how Millwall fans seem to accept demotion. The Weller/Possee team played great football at THIS level
  • shows how shit Holloway is as a manager
  • edited April 2015

come on @MillwallFan we can see your online

It wasn't too long ago that we had the gradual slide that @Sparrows Lane Lion refers to. It all seems remarkably similar in some ways. The year we were actually relegated from the Championship and then slipped further down in League 1 was the result, IMHO, of bigger mistakes in earlier years. We bounced back thanks to having a good manager and a team that bonded well and played as a team. Millwall will need the same. League 1 isn't pretty and, as teams like Sheffield United are showing, it is not easy to escape. I am sure Millwall will bounce back, but as SLL says it might take a year of finding their feet again.
  • I blame the board. They should have outed holloway a month earlier. Glad they never though.
  • I wouldn't wish League One on my own worst enemy but I really have no problem with Millwall passing through it on the way to obscurity once again.
  • edited April 2015
    Much depends on John Berylson. It's obvious the squad there has to change and I'm not surprised the fans want the focus on youngsters but that won't be enough. They need a root and branch clear out and some investment in some proven league one players. Without that they need more luck than they will get. Harris seems a decent enough bloke and being a club legend will buy him time but without access to some money he's going to find it very tough.

I can't say I wish him well.
  • I didn't mind L1 all that much TBH. A bit embarrassing being beaten by teams from towns with a population less than the capacity of our ground, but otherwise I loved grounds like Exeter and Yeovil.
  • Sponsored links:

• Much depends on John Berylson. It's obvious the squad there has to change and I'm not surprised the fans want the focus on youngsters but that won't be enough. They need a root and branch clear out and some investment in some proven league one players. Without that they need more luck than they will get. Harris seems a decent enough bloke and being a club legend will buy him time but without access to some money he's going to find it very tough.

not sure how many it is and if any have been sorted but I seem to remember a Millwall fan saying they had a load of players out of contract this summer, so I think the squad will change alot
    maybe Sparrows Lane Lion can tell us how many they are set to lose
  • edited April 2015
    I just checked this out, and Yeovil does actually have a population of 1 and a half the capacity of our ground.
  • Much depends on John Berylson. It's obvious the squad there has to change and I'm not surprised the fans want the focus on youngsters but that won't be enough. They need a root and branch clear out and some investment in some proven league one players. Without that they need more luck than they will get. Harris seems a decent enough bloke and being a club legend will buy him time but without access to some money he's going to find it very tough.

not sure how many it is and if any have been sorted but I seem to remember a Millwall fan saying they had a load of players out of contract this summer, so I think the squad will change alot
    maybe Sparrows Lane Lion can tell us how many they are set to lose
    Not sure of the latest figures, but we did have something like 18-22 players out of contract this summer.....some odd contract management by our CEO!

Fair point that Bournemouth aren't as small as they seem - though actually some of the cash they blew has not gone on the players that actually got them promoted. Most of that team could have been signed by you (or us). And then there is Brentford. .

I came in during the 60s when Charlton were in decline and yet there was never a meek acceptance that were doomed to forever flit between 30th and 55th place. I'm genuinely surprised how Millwall fans seem to accept demotion. The Weller/Possee team played great football at THIS level
    Brentford spent a few bob on Grey didn't they?

I looked at Bournemouth's squad, as you say, not many players we couldn't also have gone for...but I understand they pay very good wages. Aren't they shelling out £36k a week for Kenwyne Jones?

We can't compete on that wage level either. It's quite mind boggling. Fortunately for them the gamble has paid off and debts that they have accrued are pretty much now wiped out.

We have to be run a lot smarter than we currently are to compete long term higher up this league. Think we'll start seeing a much more distorted championship as more money pours in with distinct groups of teams jostling for small sets of positions.
  • Neil Harris appointment permanent manager
  • edited April 2015
    Will miss the edge of going to the den but great to hear the happiness and the Orgasmic delight of my fellow CL. I will just have to accept that i can't have closure and never realized that my car, letting me down and missing Kim Grant score his brace would affect my equilibrium over the years.

Out of the six or so clubs who filled the Jimmy Seed this season,
    Millwall were the quietest and only came to life on the final whistle, when they reminded us(don't we know it) "your never beat the Millwall"

I tend to agree with Yoni Buyens who said last night at the Eltham addicts that he was surprised how Quiet the Millwall fans were, only coming to life late on.

While talking about passion: If you go on to You tube and put
    "Fight before Belgrade Derby between Delije ultras and police"
    Your see my son's film of Red star and Partizen Belgrade at the weekend.
    Matt has also put 2 other versions on.
    Makes Charlton V Millwall look like a friendly !

He showed some great scenes from the champion League final between the Germans at Wembley last season. No violence then, just passion.

• Will miss the edge of going to the den but great to hear the happiness and the Orgasmic delight of my fellow CL. I will just have to accept that i can't have closure and never realized that my car, letting me down and missing Kim Grant score his brace would affect my equilibrium over the years.

Millwall were the quietest and only came to life on the final whistle, when they reminded us(don't we know it) "your never beat the Millwall"

I tend to agree with Yoni Buyens who said last night at the Eltham addicts that he was surprised how Quiet the Millwall fans were, only coming to life late on.

Matt have also put 2 other versions on.

I always like the Lech Poznan U12's game as a real example of fan passion. Load of kids playing in front of their Ultras giving it large with flares and all sorts in the stands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Ju8-AzH6I
  • Can't wait until I meet up with my mate's Father-in-Law for our next Friday night in Greenwich.

Top Top bloke by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oVlfDHt2xY&feature=player_detailpage
  • Will miss the edge of going to the den but great to hear the happiness and the Orgasmic delight of my fellow CL. I will just have to accept that i can't have closure and never realized that my car, letting me down and missing Kim Grant score his brace would affect my equilibrium over the years.

Matt have also put 2 other versions on.

I always like the Lech Poznan U12's game as a real example of fan passion. Load of kids playing in front of their Ultras giving it large with flares and all sorts in the stands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Ju8-AzH6I
    That's not passion, that's just weird.