Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

famous people you have met

Comments

• Options
    holyjo said:
    Just read through this for the first time.
    Crikey @ROTW you might have been ahead of the game there 😳

Met loads of celebs/famous peeps over the years.

Only yesterday was sat drinking non alcoholic beer with Dr Pixie McKenna (embarrassing bodies fame). She has a holiday home here. The whole of West Cork is full of celebs tbh.
    The most famous being Mr Norton (who I have met) & so hoping against hope it isn’t him as I think the whole of Ireland would need therapy 🫣
    And me pal Sam lives in Schull - he’s had a photography exhibition but not really famous 
    Had a brilliant NYE in Schull once, fantastic little place.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Jeff Stelling - as a quiz show contestant
    Sandi Toksvig - ditto
    Stephen Mulhern - ditto
    Ben Shephard - ditto
    Ray Rearden - holiday camp
    John Virgo - holiday camp
    Henry Cooper - Nizels Golf Club
    Mick Robertson (Magpie) - at a CAFC reserve match in the 70s
    Davey Jones from The Monkees - some random summer fete in Kent
    Morten Harket from Aha when I danced on stage with them at Top of The Tops in the 80s
    Many of the Premier League footballers and managers who stayed at the Marriott Hotel, Bexleyheath with their teams playing at the Valley as I used to hang a round up there collecting autographs back then. Highlights were Bobby Robson, David Beckham, Alex Ferguson. Lowlights were Roy Keane, Jermaine Jenas and Kieran Dyer. The last 2 came out a side entrance with headphones on to avoid the 4 autograph collectors waiting to meet the Newcastle players. 
    I DON'T believe it ! 
  • Options
    Shortly after I’d moved to London, I worked for H&M at Oxford Circus for a few months.
    Thierry Henry (still not that famous back then, as he’d only just made the move to Arsenal) was in the store and asked me where I’d bought my trousers?
    ‘Ehhh, here.’
  • Options
    some i have met

Monica Galetti 
    Paul Weller
    Ossie Ardiles
    Chris Kamara
    Kim wilde
    Fatboy Slim
    All of Iron Maiden
    Lenny Henry
    John Hollins
    All of The Damned
    Billy Idol
    Dean Garcia/Curve & Eurythmics
    Siobhan Fahey
  • Options
    When in Louisville for the Ryder cup I met and shook hands with The Greatest, Muhammad Ali. I really couldn’t quite believe it tbh.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Jessie said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Tom Hardy and his little dog. Aaah. 
    How was he like? I read about Charlize Theron's feud with him on the set of Mad Max a couple of years ago and I've quite disliked him since. 
    I met a guy back in 2012 who did some work on a Bentley I owned. He had been in charge of making and maintaining the cars used on Mad Max. To say that he didn't have a good word to say about Charlize is an understatement. 
    Wow... the other side of the story then. I know very little about those two actors outside of their works. Just always in awe of Charlize Theron's beauty and really loved her in The Cider House Rules and other films. Tom Hardy is a great actor judging from all the films that I've seen him in. Well, maybe they just didn't get along with each other... But one thing I don't think was Theron's fault was that Tom Hardy was often late for shooting.
  • Options
    I met Shane Warne several times. His dad Keith was an agent for the company I worked for.
    The first time was at an indoor cricket match between agents and office staff. Would have been about 1984/5. I think he was 15. Later on when he was famous he used to arrive in a blue Ferrari with tan leather seats where I worked. He was a very laid back personality. I have known his father since 1976.

• Options
    Friend of mine from work ended up exchanging some very-very mildly suggestive messages with Huw Edwards on Instagram a couple of Fridays ago. Having read the messages, I think he was just being friendly/older generation innocently not really getting social media... but it was funny.
    Doesn't he work for the BBC....just saying....
    Haha, I'm gonna say it definitely wasn't anything sinister - watching the message exchange live in the pub was an experience. Did not expect to have a lengthy debate about whether Huw Edwards was coming onto my mate or not, though. "Ooh he's typing!!" :open_mouth:
    @Oh_Yoni_Boy

You need to come back with some more detail! 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Gribbo said:
    Huw Edwards - Well when I say met him, we WhatsApp'd a few times and I sent him a photo of me in my under crackers
    "You'll never guess who I had in the back of me cab last week...that Huw Edwards off the news"

Things you won't hear taxi drivers say - number 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Huw Edwards - Well when I say met him, we WhatsApp'd a few times and I sent him a photo of me in my under crackers
    "You'll never guess who I had in the back of me cab last week...that Huw Edwards off the news"

Things you won't hear taxi drivers say - number 1.
    Had him in before. He tried paying me in dodgy WhatsApp pictures the cheeky chap.

Best I don't post them on here though.
  • Options
    I’m in the o2 priority bar before The Who gig tonight and George Allagiah has just walked in. Was tempted to simply ask him “did you know?” But thought better of it.
  • Options
    I’m in the o2 priority bar before The Who gig tonight and George Allagiah has just walked in. Was tempted to simply ask him “did you know?” But thought better of it.
    Who?
  • Options
    Friend of mine from work ended up exchanging some very-very mildly suggestive messages with Huw Edwards on Instagram a couple of Fridays ago. Having read the messages, I think he was just being friendly/older generation innocently not really getting social media... but it was funny.
    I guess you're not exactly shocked at today's revelations then.
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    Just read through this for the first time.
    Crikey @ROTW you might have been ahead of the game there 😳

Met loads of celebs/famous peeps over the years.

Only yesterday was sat drinking non alcoholic beer with Dr Pixie McKenna (embarrassing bodies fame). She has a holiday home here. The whole of West Cork is full of celebs tbh.
    The most famous being Mr Norton (who I have met) & so hoping against hope it isn’t him as I think the whole of Ireland would need therapy 🫣
    And me pal Sam lives in Schull - he’s had a photography exhibition but not really famous 
    Ooh Sam who?
    I love Schull 💚
    Me too .. Simpson :-)
  • Options
    are we allowed to discuss it all now that the worst kept secret in the world for the last week is "out" - fascinated by the gender neutral language being used all around for the accusers... it doesn't matter either way of course but still seems like a bit of a precedent for this kind of scandal? 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I served Anthony Costa once when I worked at Wickes - his Mrs is a right sort. They bought some chain link wiring because their dog kept getting out of the garden. Served Kush from Eastenders a couple of times but I didn't know at the time until a couple of the older ladies came running up to me afterwards like a bunch of teenage girls asking what he was like - I was baffled and still am to be honest. 

Oh and I was the next bowling aisle over from Nick Berry once. He didn't get a strike. 

Its probably not enough to start a new thread but i'd love to hear if anyone has met any lower tier famous people than me in a more mundane way? kind of a "bottom trumps" kind of deal!?

• Options
    I’ve probably told this a million times on this thread but I once played football with Woody Harrelson..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023
    I'm genuinely shocked at Huw Edwards being named.

I really think more needs to be done to protect people's identities before charges are mad. It's pretty bad that the police have come out saying they have no evidence of wrongdoing soon after his name was released. Innocent or not, his name is tarnished now.
  • Options
    ‘Just a touch Woody. Oh for f@ck’s sake!’’
  • Options

I really think more needs to be done to protect people's identities before charges are mad. It's pretty bad that the police have come out saying they have no evidence of wrongdoing soon after his name was released. Innocent or not, his name is tarnished now.
    His wife named him.
  • Options
    I played a frame of snooker against Fred Davis in an exhibition match when I was at Warwick University. I am crap at snooker but won the raffle and this was the prize. He set me up for an easy red and blue and then cleared the table! Nice man. A true gentleman.
  • Options

His wife named him.

Here is Vicky Flind's statement on behalf of her husband, given to PA news agency, in full:

"In light of the recent reporting regarding the 'BBC Presenter' I am making this statement on behalf of my husband Huw Edwards, after what have been five extremely difficult days for our family.

"I am doing this primarily out of concern for his mental well-being and to protect our children.

"Huw is suffering from serious mental health issues. As is well documented, he has been treated for severe depression in recent years.

"The events of the last few days have greatly worsened matters, he has suffered another serious episode and is now receiving in-patient hospital care where he'll stay for the foreseeable future.

"Once well enough to do so, he intends to respond to the stories that have been published.

"To be clear Huw was first told that there were allegations being made against him last Thursday.

"In the circumstances and given Huw's condition I would like to ask that the privacy of my family and everyone else caught up in these upsetting events is respected.

"I know that Huw is deeply sorry that so many colleagues have been impacted by the recent media speculation. We hope this statement will bring that to an end."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66159469

• Options

His wife named him.
    Pretty much forced to really. It was very easy to find the name if you did even the most basic search online. The Sun jumped the gun IMO by even releasing the story - had no problem splashing Sam Fox over their pages with her tits out when she was 16 did they. Or their frankly creepy "countdown to her 16th birthday" themed weeks that they did for Charlotte Church and Emma Watson which is far more insidious to me.
  • Options
    I do think it's reasonable that the public are made aware, IF a leading BBC employee, presenting royal wedding programmes etc to the world, is allegedly sending semi naked photos of himself on social media.
    (I've seen the photos).