Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

famous people you have met

Comments

• Options
    I remember a mate of mine’s story about Billy Idol.
    His Dad owned a tool hire company in Blackheath. 
    My pal bowls in to pick up a Kango and some bits and pieces..
    Leaning on the counter is a callow youth, my gets his order and says to said youth , “Do something useful give me a hand “ 
    Which to his credit he does.
    It was only much later that he was told that was William Broard or Billy Idol.
    Had a few beers with Billy Idol in the Oak Pub at Widmore Green Bromley, his parents lived at Shawfield Park a 2 minute walk from  the pub.
  • Options
    We were walking towards Central Park, Manhattan when we noticed a crowd outside the CBS building so we tagged along.  They were waiting to see the tenor Andrea Bocelli, the Italian tenor.  We waited for about half an hour, entertained if that’s the word by minions sorting out cables, cameras microphones etc.

The cops cleared a pathway for AB and his assistant and the great man was so close he brushed past us.  So we didn’t exactly meet him but came close.

Difficult to know what they were doing, probably making an ad as he tried the same little piece over and over.
  • Options
    John Bentley - Squeeze
    John Cooper Clarke
    John Robb from the Membranes
    Brett Ascott - Chords
  • Options
    I keep bumping into Rio Ferdinand and Rob Beckett in Petts Wood, usually on Station Square/Westway.
    As it happens, one of Rob's daughters is in the same class as my best mate's daughter now and they spent a lot of time with each other.  I'm clearly not good enough for my mate as I dont get invited our for drinks with them when they go to the Daylight lol.  Bloody charming.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I keep bumping into Rio Ferdinand and Rob Beckett in Petts Wood, usually on Station Square/Westway.
    As it happens, one of Rob's daughters is in the same class as my best mate's daughter now and they spent a lot of time with each other.  I'm clearly not good enough for my mate as I dont get invited our for drinks with them when they go to the Daylight lol.  Bloody charming.
    Keith O'Neill lives in Locksbottom, he's very pleasant.
  • Options
    back to mundanity with this one i'm afraid....

this sort that worked at my local Next who I was knocking about with in my youth was in an ill-fated and unsuccessful girl band that Simon Fuller was involved with trying to get off the ground involving Jodie Marsh in the early 2000's 

I never met her per se but I heard some stories which just made me a bit sad tbh. 
  • Options
    My father in law taught Rajiv and Sanjay Gandhi to fly.
    I bunked into the Valley with Daniel Day Lewis.
    I have a chat every morning with Steve 'mud god' Brooker.
  • Options
    A month after moving to West Cork, I was in Lidl Skibbereen.
    In the isle that sells all manner of toot was Ken Livingston.
    I had to ask him if he lived here. Thankfully he just likes coming here on his holidays.
    Phew!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    UEAAddick said:
    Nearly meeting Ray Winstone at the BFI is as close as I come.

This yr they had Nil By Mouth on as it was 25th Anniversary. Ray Winstone and Charlie Creed Miles one of the other actors in it did q and a after. I tried to get his autograph, but loads of autograph hunters were up to their usual tricks of barging through everyone aggressively, so I didn't get it, but I did stand next to him. I count that as meeting lol.

It's either that or Stuart Fleetwood in Virgin Active.
    Met Ray Winstone who was with 
    Karl Howman at the playoff final 98”
    Was in a bar early door’s just outside 
    Wembley. Unlike most reports he seemed 
    a nice bloke 
  • Options
    Peter Crouch. I’m in his film on Amazon 
  • Options
    My wife’s dentist in Auckland was aviator Jean Batten’s father.  Jean Batten was the first to fly singlehanded from England to NZ.
  • Options
    Princess Anne
  • Options
    Princess Anne
    I met a young lad a couple of weeks ago who was looking after corporate at Ascot races early this year, Princess Anne was one of the box guests, he was a bit overwhelmed when she arrived (they didn't know she was coming) and asked her if he could get her anything and called her "your majesty" as he was a bit flustered. She just looked away and waved her hand dismissively, never even looked at him.       
  • Options
    Gloria Hunniford drove past me in Westerham on Friday
  • Options
    Back in 1976 had the pleasure of meeting emlyn hughes ,John toshack,Steve heighway,Phil Thompson David fairclough and Brian hall in a club in Benidorm in late may.couldn’t wish to have met so nice and down to earth blokes in all my life,especially emlyn who grabbed the mic and sung silly love songs  by Paul McCartney and wings.
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    Back in 1976 had the pleasure of meeting emlyn hughes ,John toshack,Steve heighway,Phil Thompson David fairclough and Brian hall in a club in Benidorm in late may.couldn’t wish to have met so nice and down to earth blokes in all my life,especially emlyn who grabbed the mic and sung silly love songs  by Paul McCartney and wings.
    When footballers were not up their own bottom.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gloria Hunniford drove past me in Westerham on Friday

didn't she offer you a lift?
  • Options
    Badger said:
    John Bentley - Squeeze
    John Cooper Clarke
    John Robb from the Membranes
    Brett Ascott - Chords
    Does John Robb count as a celebrity? I've met him briefly, have played on the same bill a couple of times as Pete Byrchmore (Nightingales/Membranes). Loads of other people from that music scene. I know musician/ornithologist Dave Callahan, who Stewart Lee is sometimes mistaken for. But I've not met Stewart Lee. Two of the June Brides are friends. Met David Gedge from the Wedding Present a few times around then as well. 
    I met John Peel at a gig and had a conversation about him playing my band's record again, he never did. 

I know Steve Gribben (comedian/singer used to be in Skint Video).

I used to know comedian Robin Ince and through him met Graham Norton.

I met Lord Queensberry at a funeral. Not sure he's famous, just his ancestors.

I've met the late Stuart Christie the anarchist a few times.

I was at college with the songwriter/Popstars judge Paul Adam and knew him fairly well then, but have long since lost touch. 

• Options
    I'm having my new bathroom installed this week.
    Our plummer is Les Sampson. 
    Formerly the drummer with the Noel Redding Band.
    Personally, I've never heard of them but CL music officinardos may well have 😊
  • Options
    I'm having my new bathroom installed this week.
    Our plummer is Les Sampson. 
    Formerly the drummer with the Noel Redding Band.
    Personally, I've never heard of them but CL music officinardos may well have 😊
    I know his Mrs..... Delilah
  • Options
    I played 5 a side football at university and came up against Brian McClair and Alan Kay. The former was a part timer with Motherwell at the time studying law at Glasgow University just before he moved to Celtic and the rest is history. Alan Kay played full back for Patrick Thistle. We lost heavily as I recall. 
  • Options
    Oh, and I met the Queen Mother about 30-odd years ago at a presentation thing where she walked up and down the line saying “how do you do” and shaking hands. A few things stick in my memory:  how very small she was, the smell of talcum powder, the odd handshake (I’m told it is so you can’t grab and hold on for longer than is appropriate - all the royals do it apparently) and the way she seemed to be looking at the next person in line while addressing you. All very surreal. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Chizz said:
    A few years ago, I had a meeting with a company that was based in the same building in London as the Professional Cricketers' Association. After my meeting, I called the lift and waited for it to arrive.  As the doors opened, I saw the only other occupant was Mike Gatting.  

I looked at him, hit the ground floor button and said to him... 

"You know, Mr Gatting, I would like to tell you it's an absolute privilege..." 

(at this point he started to smile) 

"...and, more than that, it's an honour..." 

(he shifted his feet slightly) 

"...to share a lift with someone..." 

(his eyebrows raised) 

"...who I have been a big fan of..." 

(he began to blush) 

"...since I first found out..." 

(he frowned) 

"...was the brother of someone who played for Charlton". 

(he burst out laughing) 

A good lad is Gatting.
    It was very early 90's and I was at Lords for a Sunday league against the mighty Surrey.  It may well have been Norman Cowans bowling and he was bowling a few stray ones, this was met with a well known Surrey fan repeatedly bellowing out "wide".  After a few of these calls, Gatting shouted out "not as wide as your mouth".  After the crowd burst out laughing, there were no more calls of wide!
  • Options
    My wife’s dentist in Auckland was aviator Jean Batten’s father.  Jean Batten was the first to fly singlehanded from England to NZ.

Blimey when did he retire from dentistry ? He was 88 when he died in 1967
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    A few years ago, I had a meeting with a company that was based in the same building in London as the Professional Cricketers' Association. After my meeting, I called the lift and waited for it to arrive.  As the doors opened, I saw the only other occupant was Mike Gatting.  

I looked at him, hit the ground floor button and said to him... 

"You know, Mr Gatting, I would like to tell you it's an absolute privilege..." 

(at this point he started to smile) 

"...and, more than that, it's an honour..." 

(he shifted his feet slightly) 

"...to share a lift with someone..." 

(his eyebrows raised) 

"...who I have been a big fan of..." 

(he began to blush) 

"...since I first found out..." 

(he frowned) 

"...was the brother of someone who played for Charlton". 

(he burst out laughing) 

A good lad is Gatting.
    It was very early 90's and I was at Lords for a Sunday league against the mighty Surrey.  It may well have been Norman Cowans bowling and he was bowling a few stray ones, this was met with a well known Surrey fan repeatedly bellowing out "wide".  After a few of these calls, Gatting shouted out "not as wide as your mouth".  After the crowd burst out laughing, there were no more calls of wide!
    There is a story that Ian Botham was bowling in a test match and asked Mike Brearley if he could have a change to the field. "What do you want, Both?" said Brearley. "Gatting's not wide enough at second slip", said Botham. "If he were any wider", said the captain, "he'd explode".