Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

(Belgian) Bob Peeters *CONFIRMED New Head Coach (pg 37)*

Comments

• Options
    Personally i hope this aint true , get nathan jones back from Brighton before they offer him the job their.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Since taking over in June 2011 Standard RD has had 4 coaches (five if you count the one the left as he arrived)

Feb 2010–Jun 2011 Dominique D'Onofrio
    Jul 2011–May 2012 José Riga
    May 2012–Oct 2012 Ron Jans
    Oct 2012–May 2013 Mircea Rednic
    May 2013–Current Guy Luzon

As you can see none was around for very long.

RD was happy to make changes though it's not clear if Riga was sacked from SL for finishing a very low (for Standard) 6th or left of his own volition. Just as it isn't clear if Riga didn't want the coaches job at Charlton or RD didn't want him. Or there is another job somewhere else in the farm system.

Maybe that is a recruitment model RD is happy with, swift changes when he sees a need, little or no sentiment, plenty more fish in the sea.

But we don't know.

PS The comparisions between SL and CAFC potential acheivements aren't valid as SL are the second biggest club in Belguim behind Anderlecht so when people say "I'll be happy if he does what he did for Standard at Charlton" they are missing the fact that SL are and always were a big, successful club in their league who haven't finished below 6th in the top flight for many a year. So more Liverpool than Charlton.

• Options
    Jury's out for me.

I was happy when Dowie & Pardew were first appointed and not enthusiastic when Riga came here. So, I have no idea how Bob the Builder will perform.

Would have loved Riga to stay but sounds more his decision to go elsewhere than RD's.

We'll see.

If this is tied down in the next couple of days quick movement on players is essential.
  • Options
    Bob peeters woahh
    Bob peeters woahh
    He comes from Bel-gi -ummmm
    He thinks Millwall are scum

• Options

Chunes said:

I have but one question: Why?

Was gutted Powell left, but understood the decision why. Riga going.just seems so.needless when everyone, fans, players, and him wanted it, unless he is being 'promoted' to Leige.

Back to square one again
    Yes, back to square one, exactly what I said on here not long ago about appointing another unknown Belgian coach from the network. I can only hope he will be our Pochettino. Other than that, I'm really not sure how to look at this appointment with a positive attitude.
    He's not from the network , we will have to pay compensation for him, so rd has obviously seen something he likes .
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Chunes said:

Was gutted Powell left, but understood the decision why. Riga going.just seems so.needless when everyone, fans, players, and him wanted it, unless he is being 'promoted' to Leige.

Back to square one again
    Yes, back to square one, exactly what I said on here not long ago about appointing another unknown Belgian coach from the network. I can only hope he will be our Pochettino. Other than that, I'm really not sure how to look at this appointment with a positive attitude.
    He's not from the network , we will have to pay compensation for him, so rd has obviously seen something he likes .
    He likes saying yes a lot?
  • Options
    I am gutted that Riga hasn't been given the job. I hope we will find out the reason why in due course. The constant changing of Managers will, in my opinion, not do us any good. Riga did a great job getting us out of trouble and I would like to have seen him continue the job. The players and staff and the majority of supporters liked him.
  • Options
    he looks like a double hard bastard
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So let's see. We sack a much-loved manager in Chris Powell and Uncle Roland strikes lucky in appointing his replacement, Jose Riga, who does an amazing job in the circumstances of a) maintaining the spirit in the club built up by Chris Powell and b) keeping us up. So Uncle Roland now gets rid of Riga for whatever reason and decides instead to appoint yet another coach. Let's hope Uncle Roland's luck holds.

As worryingly, I can only assume we await more quality signings from Uncle Roland's stables instead of good, hardened Championship players. Oh, and best wishes to Hamer and Dervite at their new clubs. Presumably to be joined by Morrison and Poyet in escaping the madhouse.

Mark me firmly down in the this is not going to end well camp.
  • Options
    I'm not gonna say anything just hope Roly knows what he's doing..
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Yann897 said:

Chunes said:

Back to square one again
    He likes saying yes a lot?
    Or "Huh" at the end of his sentences!
  • Options

Wonder how long it will take millwank to start saying Agent Bob.

It wont take long,after every defeat I expect

• Options
    All should become clear at the Duchatelet-Peeters press conference as to why Riga was not brought in.

I have to be fair to RD, I have not agreed with all his decisions but he did admit after he sacked Powell that it was because of a disagreement on strategy - hopefully we will get some clarity on Riga too.

If it is Peeters then at least he knows the English game and - if he comes in now - then we have a shot at bringing in transfer targets.
  • Options
    Hope compensation cant be agreed
  • Options
    shit players often makes good coaches

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    He appears to have a good reputation for working with young players and that seems to be what ticks the boxes for RD. Also given that we are signing up academy players and have introduced several over the last two seasons, RD appears to see that as fundamental to his plan to build the club from the bottom up.

Would have loved for Riga to have stayed but as VG says above we don't know the full facts surrounding his situation.
  • Options

So let's see. We sack a much-loved manager in Chris Powell and Uncle Roland strikes lucky in appointing his replacement, Jose Riga, who does an amazing job in the circumstances of a) maintaining the spirit in the club built up by Chris Powell and b) keeping us up. So Uncle Roland now gets rid of Riga for whatever reason and decides instead to appoint yet another coach. Let's hope Uncle Roland's luck holds.

As worryingly, I can only assume we await more quality signings from Uncle Roland's stables instead of good, hardened Championship players. Oh, and best wishes to Hamer and Dervite at their new clubs. Presumably to be joined by Morrison and Poyet in escaping the madhouse.

Reports are that Riga didn't want the job.

Can we not wait until the actual facts come out?
    I agree, but would just point out that ONE report, from Twitter, on here, says he didn't want the job. All other reports, quoting Riga clearly indicated that he wanted to stay.
  • Options

Since taking over in June 2011 Standard RD has had 4 coaches (five if you count the one the left as he arrived)

Feb 2010–Jun 2011 Dominique D'Onofrio
    Jul 2011–May 2012 José Riga
    May 2012–Oct 2012 Ron Jans
    Oct 2012–May 2013 Mircea Rednic
    May 2013–Current Guy Luzon

As you can see none was around for very long.

RD was happy to make changes though it's not clear if Riga was sacked from SL for finishing a very low (for Standard) 6th or left of his own volition. Just as it isn't clear if Riga didn't want the coaches job at Charlton or RD didn't want him. Or there is another job somewhere else in the farm system.

Henry - I think JR said recently that he took the Charlton job to make up to RD for quitting SL to go to Qatar.

Manager of the Month is no longer an award - it's a job description ....

• Options
    A decent striker for Belgium but always played second fiddle to the Mpenza brothers. No idea what he is like as a manager. W-B were two clubs in the second division in financial difficulty and got promoted after the merger. Hope that's not a bad omen.

According to wiki he is replacing Riga who famously only has one suit?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Cheers needed a good laugh:
    My favourite 2 so far:

Posted 21/5/2014 08:16
    #1377260 - in reply to #1377247
    Subject: Re: Bob Peeters NW

can't believe how s**t anoraks are these days

Posted 21/5/2014 08:25
    #1377264 - in reply to #1377260
    Subject: Re: Bob Peeters NW

Minus the average away support and free tickets at The Valley and they average around the same as us these days...but by charging about a third less.
  • Options

Reports are that Riga didn't want the job.

Can we not wait until the actual facts come out?
    I agree, but would just point out that ONE report, from Twitter, on here, says he didn't want the job. All other reports, quoting Riga clearly indicated that he wanted to stay.
    And that wasn't even clear what exactly that job was
  • Options
    I have heard Riga will be head of youth or director of football
    had a text from someone who works at the club saying riga will be around one way or another
  • Options
    Don't understand what strategy there is, I actually doubt there is one and it's being made up as he goes along trying to spend as little as possible. Could just as well have given Damian Matthew a chance. Team will consist of our kids (which is good although will be sold as soon as they are worth a few bob) and a bunch of network players. Just my opinion of course.