Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt - (ed. page 16. Confirmed, 3 1/2 year deal)

Comments

• Options
    bobcafc7 said:

Selling YK for less than buying Tucudean is like selling a gold bar to buy a yorkie bar..... but I wouldn't put it past Rolands scouting team, to put it nicely they have got nothing right from within the network, their judgement of talent is hideous ... but you try and try again until it works :-)

Ben haim ?
    There is no judgement involved there. The guy has played 171 apps at a Professional level in England (Championship + including Premier League aswell), he seems to like living in England. If that is the best the 'network' scouting team can stump up then they may as well employ a 16 year old lad who's CV read's 'Won the treble with Accrington Stanley 2020/2021 on Football Manager'

I don't thrive off being negative towards RD's whole set up but it really is not very professional on the football side of things, Piotr Parzyszek (remember him?) is another, the fee 'we' paid for him is ludicrous.

The scouting is amateur, it seems to be looking for players that have played internationally at a youth level, paying the fee and because they are still young they should increase in value. Poor stuff.
  • Options

Selling YK for less than buying Tucudean is like selling a gold bar to buy a yorkie bar..... but I wouldn't put it past Rolands scouting team, to put it nicely they have got nothing right from within the network, their judgement of talent is hideous ... but you try and try again until it works :-)

And that for me is the key issue.

A club can have any recruitment model it likes, big fees, no fees, loans, old players, young players, network players, etc etc but what will may the difference and "add value" (sic) and improve the team's performance is getting better players.

Polish Pete wasn't better than Yann. Doesn't matter what games Yann did or didn't play. Polish Pete was an expensive mistake. £600k wasted on someone who played a few minutes. Some can pretend that it is a trivial sum and we can write it off over a few years but what it meant was we couldn't spend £600k (and the wages) on someone else, someone better. And so the sale of Stephens and Yann brought us no benefit as the money was wasted. Meanwhile, back room admin staff were being made redundant so yes the money does matter to CAFC.

We appear to be too reliant on whoever scouts and buys players for Liege. They paid £1.2m for Watt and have bombed him out 6 months later. They paid money for Tuchedean and have bombed him out. Ditto Reza. Ditto Nego. I'm not confident that they are getting value for Roland's money although I still think Watt could be a success with CAFC.

And before people say "Igor and JBG" have been a success yes they have and neither came from the network. Igor had worked with Bob before.
    Watt is one of the whole lot I would say holds some substance, if you can get the boys career on track you have a good buy, it's clear to see the talent, and the Scottish SPL is not too dissimilar to the Championship in comparison to Romanian Liga I or Hungarian NB I.

If you run the club well on the pitch the off pitch matters will fall into place, you will get bums on seats.. You could quite easily get your son to bring a few friends if they are looking to a game with 15k + attendance, goals flying in and players with the talent similar to what they watch week in week out on their TV's. Easier said than done but that start's by hard work on the scouting side of things, I think from the off I could tell this whole network was a bit lapse on the scouting side.

Also we are devaluing our young talent by forcing them into our current side, messing them about in their positions . If you put a scout out to watch Joe Gomez the last few weeks I doubt they'd be half interested (judging him just on his play), rewind a few weeks and buy him on his paper value with England youth International experience and versatility, that figure would be a big sum larger.. basically the cheaper you are in terms of squad size and quality the more you're missing out on elsewhere, RD can't see this.
  • Options
    "the Scottish SPL is not too dissimilar to the Championship in comparison to Romanian Liga I or Hungarian NB I"

lol... I'd love to know how many games you've seen from any of those leagues.
  • Options

"the Scottish SPL is not too dissimilar to the Championship in comparison to Romanian Liga I or Hungarian NB I"

lol... I'd love to know how many games you've seen from any of those leagues.

Probably a few hundred total games. Chuck in reports, articles etc and I probably know as much if not more than I do of League One/Two football.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Sure...

Gutting about the Hungarian winter break. Still, it's Györ vs Fehérvár first day back - you must be buzzing.
  • Options

Sure...

Gutting about the Hungarian winter break. Still, it's Györ vs Fehérvár first day back - you must be buzzing.

Not quite sure why you're trying to shoot me down.. I follow most European leagues, that's my job and has been for the past 3/4 years. Do you disagree with what I've said? Or just trying to out me? :-)
    Out of interest Atletico, how do you get into something like that? Is it essentially scouting or do you a lot more than that? Deep-down I've always wondered how accessible a career like that actually is if I fancied a complete career change one day!
  • Options

Sure...

Not quite sure why you're trying to shoot me down.. I follow most European leagues, that's my job and has been for the past 3/4 years. Do you disagree with what I've said? Or just trying to out me? :-)
    Never knew that, thought it was odd you'd seen Hungarian games assumed you'd seem them whilst travelling or something
  • Options
    Have seen him play a number of times, he is lazy on the pitch, and argues with his team mates.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Atletico Addick.

That's an interesting insight. Great story from Iceland. When you hear stories like that, and reflect their total population is 300k, its a minor miracle how their national team is currently doing, and that Gudmunsson can't get in it.

Do you watch the Czech league too?

It is beyond doubt that Czech league games are fixed. I met a woman who knows one of the few refs who was actually charged. She said he was totally unrepentant, claimed it was widespread. Which all means that in Hungary it will be just as bad, probably worse
  • Options
    Watt is going on at my beloved Charlton?
  • Options
    How come nobody has used the word "dour" yet?
  • Options
    I note that we have not had the usual reports of drunken fights and bad behaviour from footballers this year - just of one falling over.

No sign of any players of either side at our game on boxing day having had too much port with their Christmas pud.

Has the foreign influx of players finally bought a new professional pattern of behaviour to our game?

I am sure Tony was bored in Belgium, I am hoping that the example set by Jackson and the other players will put him on the right course and steer him away from the London night life and find him better ways to spend his leisure time.

He is at a crossroads in his career at the moment and it would be such a shame to see him mess up. Hopefully he will be listening to the Evans saga and taking note!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I will drink to that @RobCAFC

but if he turns out to be shite, it's your fault!
  • Options
    Have very low expectations of him.
  • Options
    I have expectations.
  • Options

but if he turns out to be shite, it's your fault!

Just make sure you keep that drink well away from Tony.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

but if he turns out to be shite, I will have even more drinks

That sounds better:-)
  • Options
    According to Dr Kish he will be starting on the bench on Saturday. He will play for the U21s on Monday.
  • Options
    Anything else he wishes to tell Brighton
  • Options
    The arrival of striker Tony Watt was confirmed on Tuesday, and Peeters believes he can bring something a little different to the table.

“He’s powerful,” said the Addicks boss.

“He’s not the tallest striker but he’s very positive with the ball and he’s always looking to get in behind the defence and that’s what we’re looking for.”

“He needs a little bit more time because he hasn’t played a lot of games but hopefully the fans will support him because he’s a typical British striker who wants to score goals.

“He’s still a young player and maybe he has made some mistakes in the past but the most important thing is the future.

“I think he might miss some match fitness but we still have 22 games to play so he can still play a lot of games"

BP obviously starting him on the bench and making excuses for him when he comes on (if)
  • Options
    I suspect that goal oddly was the worse thing that could of happened to him
  • Options
    ross1 said:

BP obviously starting him on the bench and making excuses for him when he comes on (if)

IMO Peeters is doing the sensible thing in first naming him on the bench:

1) It sends the message to the starting strikers to up their game - if they want to keep their place in the team.

2) It sends the message to Watts that he has to earn his place in the side.

And hopefully a fired up Watts comes off the bench to make an impact on the game.

• Options
    dickplumb said:

According to Dr Kish he will be starting on the bench on Saturday. He will play for the U21s on Monday.

Ah yes Dr Kish. For whom the bell tolls...

• Options
    _nam11 said:

"The bookies must know something, right?"

If Pigott is 9/1 to score for Charlton tomorrow, then there must be something they don't know, right?

;o)

• Options

dickplumb said:

Ah yes Dr Kish. For whom the bell tolls...

Yes I still haven't got a clue what that means.