Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt - (ed. page 16. Confirmed, 3 1/2 year deal)

Comments

• Options

Didn't like the way he was limping after getting mom award.

He's a young footballer, could just be the way he walks
  • Options

I was privileged to be asked to present Tony with a bottle of champagne after he was voted Man of The Match by those in the Keith Peacock Suite. He played superbly and fully deserved his award.

It's about time you had a good match day experience. I'm pleased for you.
    To be fair, we usually do have a good time in the KPS. The staff and hosts (Harry Gregory & Theo Foley) make it a nice day for us.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Are we going a bit OTT here? He's played two full games and he and Igor are the new Yorke and Cole!?!
    One bad game at Wigan and we'll have 'spongefoot' and Wattinho threads.

I did not say they where the new Yorke and Cole, I said the partnership reminded me of Yorke and Cole's.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Are we going a bit OTT here? He's played two full games and he and Igor are the new Yorke and Cole!?!

If we are then why not? It's a while since we have even had the opportunity to misplace our faith.

Please give us a few more days before your burst our balloon.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Valley11 said:

If we are then why not? It's a while since we have even had the opportunity to misplace our faith.

Please give us a few more days before your burst our balloon.
    Haha yes you have a point. A spark of hope in a cloud of gloom. Go Watt!!
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

To be fair I have seen more in 2 full starts than I have in Churchinho's 18 month stint

The best comparison I can think of is "he is a good Paul Dickov".

Both of them are quick, strong and must be seriously annoying to play against. Not a moment's peace for the defenders and lethal in attack

• Options
    I must admit I really like him. Maybe it's the fact that I'm looking for any glimmer of hope given our recent run, but I reckon we've got a proper player here.

The positivity is excellent. His willingness to take players on is great to see, and he shows you can do it just by having a decent touch. Harriott and his million step overs take note. My biggest thing that I believe is the most crucial aspect a proper footballer must have is a first touch. I can't stress how important that is.

It's basically why those players never play at the top, top level. You can have all the pace, strength and perceived trickery, but that first touch basically determines how successful the next bit of the move will be.
  • Options
    He's made a genuine difference, partly because of his skill, but also because of his enthusiasm and work rate. Really nice too to see a player over 6' who's first inclination is to turn and run at opposing defences, rather than tuck it safely back where it came from. Long may it continue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

I must admit I really like him. Maybe it's the fact that I'm looking for any glimmer of hope given our recent run, but I reckon we've got a proper player here.

The positivity is excellent. His willingness to take players on is great to see, and he shows you can do it just by having a decent touch. Harriott and his million step overs take note. My biggest thing that I believe is the most crucial aspect a proper footballer must have is a first touch. I can't stress how important that is.

It's basically why those players never play at the top, top level. You can have all the pace, strength and perceived trickery, but that first touch basically determines how successful the next bit of the move will be.

Cabbles you are 100% correct.
    The first time Tony came on the field at the valley he nearly scored straight away because of his great 1st touch and his ball control.

Harriott has a heavy 1st touch, the red card was because of this.

Cousins if he has skillful players around him will be a decent central midfielder
    but at the moment can't really see a Prem player as his 1st touch is erratic plus his passing is wayward at times. still think cousins puts in a great shift every week for the team even when he has to play out wide, plus he should be a 6 to 8
    goals a season man. If that weakness keeps him at CAFC longer then that's fine by me.

Johann has a good touch most of the time,
    Igor is a little gem who has a erratic 1st touch yet at times the ball will stick to his feet like Watt. plus 20 goals a season possible with help from fellow striker.

Bulot 1st touch is good but needs to work on the final ball(like every winger).

• Options

cabbles said:

Cabbles you are 100% correct.
    The first time Tony came on the field at the valley he nearly scored straight away because of his great 1st touch and his ball control.

Harriott has a heavy 1st touch, the red card was because of this.

Cousins if he has skillful players around him will be a decent central midfielder
    but at the moment can't really see a Prem player as his 1st touch is erratic plus his passing is wayward at times. still think cousins puts in a great shift every week for the team even when he has to play out wide, plus he should be a 6 to 8
    goals a season man. If that weakness keeps him at CAFC longer then that's fine by me.

Johann has a good touch most of the time,
    Igor is a little gem who has a erratic 1st touch yet at times the ball will stick to his feet like Watt. plus 20 goals a season possible with help from fellow striker.

Bulot 1st touch is good but needs to work on the final ball(like every winger).

This is it mate. I often rant at my mates when I'm drunk about how important first touch is. I also like a player who can turn when receiving the ball into feet, it can really open play up very quickly and expose other teams. Sometimes there's nothing more frustrating than a ball being played into someone's feet, only for it to come straight back to who passed it to them.

I always thought Jason Euell had a poor first touch
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I always thought Jason Euell had a poor first touch
    His second touch was a tackle.
  • Options
    Seems a real genuine guy and reading between the lines appreciates the fans being open minded and not being swayed by the negative media reports. Could be he's extra happy because we have helped get a monkey off his back.

• Options
    him and Igor have the makings of a superb partnership, seems to me the genuinely enjoy playing together, always encouraging each other, plenty of hand taps for good things and things that don't quite come off.
  • Options
    Some of the early comments on this thread are interesting now we KNOW he is brilliant.
  • Options

Hope he comes in and scores dozens of goals, sets up a few more and gets a hat trick at Millwall. I hope he joins Hewie as a Scottish cap while with Charlton.

But it won't be at no cost. If nothing else there is the opportunity cost ie "you've got Watt, why do you need X, y or Z as well?"

People are quite rightly posting their doubts based on previous internal network transfers and the reputation that Watt has earned (perhaps unfairly, perhaps not) as being a poor trainer lacking the right attitude to make the most of his talent.

I think as a brit London might suit him better and a medium size club with fewer stars and less adoring fans/hangers on than at Celtic could be the making of him and I wish him only well.

Who's that scoring goals?
    Who's that scoring goals?
    Tony, Tony, Tony Watt
    Tony, Tony, Tony Watt.

So far so good
  • Options
    I know he,s contracted for Three years plus,but if keeps playing like he has and scoring good goals,can we keep him next season?
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

I know he,s contracted for Three years plus,but if keeps playing like he has and scoring good goals,can we keep him next season?

I hope so, if he'd been banging them in from the start of the season then maybe.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

Hopefully he'll have the attitude of...

I've had a poor few years without any successful end results, I've come to Charlton where I'm loved by the fans, am getting game time, the Manager rates me, and with Igor / JBG I'm scoring goals so I'm gonna sit tight for a bit rather than run the risk of ending up in the position I found myself after scoring against Barcelona
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    amazing .could we get this played on the big screen before each game?
  • Options

We have to get the Covered End to learn this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boFg-ryhomE&feature=youtu.be

Brilliant!
  • Options
    Red Robin this is excellent
  • Options
    No we do not
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    It's a nice video I suppose but half the words don't apply to what he's done at Charlton, plus any songs with more than four different words don't take off at Charlton any more.
  • Options
    Absolutely Fantastic...............maybe they will change their "allegiance" now he is scoring for us, get em over on the pitch Roland!!!!

COYR............
  • Options
    Brilliant! Loved it :)
  • Options
    I love it. All in all, Huddersfield couldn't handle Tony Watt...