Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt - (ed. page 16. Confirmed, 3 1/2 year deal)

Comments

• Options

Is he just on loan or is he 'ours'??

Ours, 3.5 year deal :-)
  • Options
    Fast becoming one of my favourite players, he's strong, skilful, direct and reasonably quick. Very hard for defenders to play against especially when they have someone as quick as Vetokele to deal with as well.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Is he just on loan or is he 'ours'??

Ours, 3.5 year deal :-)
    For 'ours', think we should probably read 'Roland's'...but also probably fair to say that he wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the network, so suppose at the moment that should be a small credit to the owner?
  • Options

Many of my best mates are Scottish and we had a Sunday league team back in the day. The two best players are Celtic diehards. They hated to lose and could coax better performances from lesser players like me. I loved playing with them. They used to say that a team like Charlton could do with some Scottish players to give it some "backbone". That said, they were pretty iffy about Tony Watt, felt it all went to his head after his goal against Barcelona. Maybe, just maybe, he has realised that he has something to prove, and appreciates an unpretentious bunch of fans who take him as they find him.

Sweaty was a very good player ex Celtic.
  • Options

He reminds me a little of Fuller when he has the ball at his feet and has three players round him, he will come away with the ball and all you can think is ... how the hell does he still have control of that ball?!
    !

I thought the same. Not going to throw himself around like Yann did but great close control, always looking to take players on, exciting to watch as you don't know what he's going to do. What's great is as well as all that he's got something about him physically as well.

Watt and Igor look natural as a partnership, seems to have clicked straight away. Not seen two players link in that way so quickly since BWP and Hayes. I don't know when we last had that up front before then.

Still need another striker, arguably two. We had no strikers on the bench and the only other options in the squad are Church and KAG.
  • Options

Fast becoming one of my favourite players, he's strong, skilful, direct and reasonably quick. Very hard for defenders to play against especially when they have someone as quick as Vetokele to deal with as well.

Agree. Going back a bit, he reminds me a bit of Jimmy Greaves. Would never win (or even finish) a 100 yard race but is lightning over the first 5 or 6 yards. The goal he scored against Norwich showed this very clearly. If he carries on like this he will join the ranks of Kermo, SuperClive and Killer as Charlton striking legends.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was a good interview on line in the Standard last week, Thurs or Friday, you can find it via newsnow.
  • Options
    So not only did he have a great game, but he sounds like a really decent bloke as well :-)
  • Options
    100% CLASS + FIGHT

Watt is the man
  • Options
    Loved the way he made sure he was the last of the field.

He clearly knows that the fans have taken to him and he knew he'd just had a very good game. He wanted to milk the moment and why not.
  • Options
    Could just be "another" Charlton legend (if he stays with us that is!!)
    He is just the sort of player us Charlton fans love! and LONG may it continue............
  • Options
    Look at his touch for the goal he scored against Norwich, and his touch to Igor for the second against Brentford. The clips are both on here.

Add to this the work he is prepared to do to bring others into the game, and it's clear that this guy has to start every game while in form, even if he runs out of puff for the last 15mins.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

100% CLASS + FIGHT

Watt is the man

Watt a man
    Watt a man
    Watt a man
    What mighty goals he scores.
  • Options
    What sticks out about that interview is when he says how jacko was getting the players up for it today! And we saw soo much ore fight from the players...

I like Tony he has more to his game than Igor who relies on pace and first touch! A more rounded player who can do a lot more!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was privileged to be asked to present Tony with a bottle of champagne after he was voted Man of The Match by those in the Keith Peacock Suite. He played superbly and fully deserved his award.

It's about time you had a good match day experience. I'm pleased for you.
  • Options

I was privileged to be asked to present Tony with a bottle of champagne after he was voted Man of The Match by those in the Keith Peacock Suite. He played superbly and fully deserved his award.

Since the 1st time Tony ran on the pitch at the valley the crowd love his close ball control and his commitment to the cause, even at Watford where he struggled with every one else, but he still showed the effort when he came on, and was the one player the crowd chanted his name. After his unhappy time at 2 clubs in Belgium where he had problems with 2 coaches! also being dropped from the Scottish U21 for in the words of billy stark having fitness issues.

At 21 Watt has a great chance to come good at a club who are crying out for a new star. Must find my version of IF (kipling) that i dedicated to Tony Watt a few weeks ago as it has a great chance of coming true. It's on one of these threads somewhere.

• Options
    I like the partnership with Igor bit like a Cole and Yorke. If it can be half as good as that we could be onto something here.
  • Options
    Delighted that the earlier rumour about Tonys unpopularity appears to be unfounded. He was brilliant yesterday and certainly knows how to milk a crowd. We just need to bear in mind that he has driven several managers to distraction and he is plying his trade with us rather than being in the champions league for a reason. Whatever that reason is we hope he has grown out of it and proves to be a cult hero. One swallow and all that, but a very promising start.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if there's a vine floating about of the skills he was doing near the corner flag yesterday?
  • Options
    edited February 2015

IF........................................IF............................IF..............................IF

an Ode from Soapboxsam with help from Mr Kipling (not the cake man)

IF you can keep you head when all charlton fans around you are losing theirs, and blaming it on you
    IF you trust yourself when all Charlton fans doubt you, but make allowances for their doubting too
    IF you can dream and not make dreams your master, if you can think but not make thoughts your aim
    IF you meet with triumph and disaster and treat these two impostors just the same
    IF you can take a Poor pass, and control that ball with skill, go one on one with the keeper,and bury it for the kill
    IF you can then fill the next minutes running around the ground, yours is the earth and everything that's in it.

And what is More TONY WATT, you will be a Man My son, plus a effing legend to the covered end choir.

The above was from Jan 7th
    I don't have a crystal ball just had a feeling in my water, must go and see the doc.

I will add that i thought it might take him longer to win the fans over but the boy's a showman and the respect he showed to Igor by clapping him off was great to see plus the boy can control a football( should be mandatory for a pro i know)

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Think the guy has all the attributes to become a Charlton legend. Have to say the crowd has been behind 100% since he singned. Why has it taken so long for him to start? Watford away was a Classic example of out great fans getting behind or team.
  • Options
    Hope the lad ensures Churchy is nowhere near the starting line up again.
  • Options
    Didn't like the way he was limping after getting mom award.
  • Options

Didn't like the way he was limping after getting mom award.

Wouldnt surprise me if it was just cramp... Dont remember him being at the end of any hefty challenges