Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt - (ed. page 16. Confirmed, 3 1/2 year deal)

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Not seen Watt play apart from "that" goal. Reputed to be quick but unlikely to be the hold up player we need. Looking at Belgian Pro league, apart from ageing de Camargo who is SL top scorer, best fit seems to be Laurent Depoitre 26, who gets one every 2.5 starts and is 6'3". Would take both him and TW. AA getting splinters so is he fit? Can't see past BPL for players.

I'd take watt and adjarevic bit I'm hoping there will be a third who is much like vetokele. In that he is from somewhere in Europe a relative unknown but clearly quality and we have to slash a bit of cash to get him.. although no too much cash..
    Relax, it's not your money, Rolly is loaded. :-)
    Yes but with ffp still pretty tight for another year we can't spend over the odds.. and so we don't wanna blow it all on one guy as we might need to spend a little on a cb or others...

Also it's always satisfying to build a squad without over sprnding!
    That was a bit tongue in cheek because I don't ever see Rolly throwing his money around willy nilly, Igor being the exception. From what we know about him so far he buys em young with potential and a view to developing them before selling on for profit.

Most of the young loans to us from the network have not been a rip roaring success thus far (Thuram, Nego, Pete, and jury still out on Bullot and George) but time will tell. Let's see if Watt signs, he can redress that imbalance, I sincerely hope he does.

Keep those seat belts fastened for the ''bumpy ride ahead".
    Hate to say but I cant see where the bumpy ride is... We're free of Administration, we're complying with FFP (with fines etc... now coming into force), we may be sliding down the table a bit but am sure Peeters will address that and stabilise us, we've had a lot worse in recent years (i.e. Bally Smart having to be signed on a Non-Contract deal because we couldn't afford to give him better, thats the sort of deal that a Non-League side has to make)

• Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Not seen Watt play apart from "that" goal. Reputed to be quick but unlikely to be the hold up player we need. Looking at Belgian Pro league, apart from ageing de Camargo who is SL top scorer, best fit seems to be Laurent Depoitre 26, who gets one every 2.5 starts and is 6'3". Would take both him and TW. AA getting splinters so is he fit? Can't see past BPL for players.

I'd take watt and adjarevic bit I'm hoping there will be a third who is much like vetokele. In that he is from somewhere in Europe a relative unknown but clearly quality and we have to slash a bit of cash to get him.. although no too much cash..
    Yes but with ffp still pretty tight for another year we can't spend over the odds.. and so we don't wanna blow it all on one guy as we might need to spend a little on a cb or others...

That was a bit tongue in cheek because I don't ever see Rolly throwing his money around willy nilly, Igor being the exception. From what we know about him so far he buys em young with potential and a view to developing them before selling on for profit.

Most of the young loans to us from the network have not been a rip roaring success thus far (Thuram, Nego, Pete, and jury still out on Bullot and George) but time will tell. Let's see if Watt signs, he can redress that imbalance, I sincerely hope he does.

Keep those seat belts fastened for the ''bumpy ride ahead'.
    Oi!

:-)
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

is he legible to play for the Under-21s tonight at Brighton as a 'trialist'?

Don't know but Qpr had a couple last week
  • Options

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Hate to say but I cant see where the bumpy ride is... We're free of Administration, we're complying with FFP (with fines etc... now coming into force), we may be sliding down the table a bit but am sure Peeters will address that and stabilise us, we've had a lot worse in recent years (i.e. Bally Smart having to be signed on a Non-Contract deal because we couldn't afford to give him better, thats the sort of deal that a Non-League side has to make)

I am one of the more optimistic posters on here and I said after the Blackpool game I'm far happier with our 'lot' this season than this time last year but I am also a realist. I'm not saying we are in danger of getting sucked into a relegation battle but have a look at the squad at the moment and convince me it is going to be plain sailing.
  • Options
    His problems in the past are well documented but I hope the supporters will be able to welcome him into the club without any bias (if he does sign). He's a talented lad and certainly not uncoachable, just requires good man management and we could reap the rewards.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

I am one of the more optimistic posters on here and I said after the Blackpool game I'm far happier with our 'lot' this season than this time last year but I am also a realist. I'm not saying we are in danger of getting sucked into a relegation battle but have a look at the squad at the moment and convince me it is going to be plain sailing.
    I know what you mean as know you for sure to be one of the optimistic fans on here (like myself)

In terms of plain sailing... Apart from the mega rich Premier League teams I dont think any club can enjoy that luxury because we dont have a mega rich billionaire to continuously bail us out
  • Options
    edited December 2014

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

I know what you mean as know you for sure to be one of the optimistic fans on here (like myself)

In terms of plain sailing... Apart from the mega rich Premier League teams I dont think any club can enjoy that luxury because we dont have a mega rich billionaire to continuously bail us out
    So how about we split the difference and agree on it going to be a bit bumpy then. ;-)
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Reams on VOTV as already written him off .....

In that case I'm betting my house on him finishing the season as top scorer

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Macronate said:

Oggy Red said:

He could re-light our season

Only if he has electric pace and can keep the ohm fans happy.

Not sure it's the same guy, but I heard he has a good engine although is prone to running out of steam...
    shoe horned a train pun in, nice one.

I'd like to emphasise the non - train nature of that pun ;-)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt_engine

Admittedly, this doesn't help matters on any level!
  • Options

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

No doubt we are better off with Roland than the last two schisters.

said that from the start and that in the medium term we'll be ok under RD but IMHO there will be a bumpy ride.

And that has already happened. 3 coaches in 3 months, lots of first teamers leaving, lots of loans and transfers from the network, good players like Igor and JBG coming in from outside the network, new pitch, redundancies, new catering and a tiny squad hit by injuries. Add the changes in FFP to that.

still pro RD but the phrase "bumpy ride" comes from the evidence so far that we are going to see a lot of changes and set backs as well as moves forward rather than a glorious, no problem march to the premiership

Hence bumpy ride.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reams is writing for the VOTV?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

colin1961 said:

Reams on VOTV as already written him off .....

In that case I'm betting my house on him finishing the season as top scorer

To be fair there are lots of reasons to be skeptical.

If Watt wasn't already a network player I highly doubt we'd be clamouring for his signature, this sounds like a player who's failed everywhere he's been due to his attitude being dumped on Charlton simply because he speaks a similar language to us.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Reams is writing for the VOTV?

Think he means ITTV - into the valley
  • Options

that's a positive from the SL connection. We can get him in early, train with us, and then sign him as soon as the window opens. My only concern is does he want to be here or is it a case of Roly saying 'it's Charlton or nowhere'. My guess is that he'll see joining a Championship side as a positive, the standard is better than the SPL and he'll buy into the plan of getting us into the EPL in a couple of years.

Is that deliberately riddled with electrical/train related puns or purely coincidental?
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

is he legible to play for the Under-21s tonight at Brighton as a 'trialist'?

I'm sure T.Watt is legible - its not hard to spell.
  • Options
    Killer came to Charlton with a bad reputation and labeled as unmanageable and look how that turned out
  • Options
    kevtherev said:

Killer came to Charlton with a bad reputation and labeled as unmanageable and look how that turned out

i was thinking exactly the same

• Options
    Catching up with old mates tonight, one of whom is Celtic. Problem is not just attitude but whether he fits well with Vetokele. Based on how I described Veto, my buddy thinks not. Watt is not a holdup front man.
    Try explaining that to RD.......
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I don't think Igor needs a target man to play alongside him and the big man/little man combo isn't necessarily the only way to success. You only have to look at how well he and George combined in the first few games of the season to see that.

As long as Watt has some sort of physical strength, presence and natural ability, that'll be enough for Igor to find larger pockets of space and open up further goalscoring opportunities. At the same time, you'd hope Igor could do the same for Tony. Would you have backed a player like Watt to score that chance George fluffed against Millwall, for example?

That's what I've got my fingers crossed for...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colin1961 said:

looks like two strikers coming in as BP wants a battering ram older striker as well as Watt

He said that from the day he walked through the door, it all dependson what RD allows him to have
  • Options
    This will be another standard Liege cast off dumped on us by R D. So far none of these have proved good enough for the championship football. roland trying to savce money on a lost cause.
  • Options
    Trouble is if you put all our Strikers into groups - I would say that we've got a few of the Hold-up type whilst we're lacking in the natural speedy Striker area (Something Watt could do even if its coming off the bench so that Igor gets a rest, because surely thats got to be part of getting some Striking reinforcements?)

i.e.

Natural Striker: Igor Vetokele
    Converted Striker: Callum Harriott / Franck Moussa
    Hold-Up Man: Joe Pigott / George Tucudean (When the ball is played to feet for these two though rather than a lump up front expecting them to get their head on it)
  • Options

vff said:

Tony Watt has not worked out at Standard Liege. Maybe a change of scenery will help. The Daily Express article is a bit worrying though, the number of managers who have said that he is not professional enough in his attitude. Maybe this is his chance to sort himself out and prove himself again.

I am happy to give him a chance. I just hope upon hope if this happens, is that RD is not going to have the chutzpah to pass off Tony Watt as Vetekele's strike partner we have been waiting for all season. Given what RD has attempted to pass off as acceptable so far, I am concerned.

TW is likely to be likely lacking fitness and if his confidence is not great, then trying to carrying that role is not going to put help him. It will put pressure and undermine his chance of success. Where if he is an addition to a quality striker and doesn't have that weight, he may be more likely to succeed. Most Charlton supporters will give him a chance, particularly if he puts the effort in. I will give Tony Watt the chance. Its a great chance for him to kick start his career lets hope he takes it.

msomerton said:

This will be another standard Liege cast off dumped on us by R D. So far none of these have proved good enough for the championship football. roland trying to savce money on a lost cause.

The constant moaning about RD on here is incredible. Oh how I long for the days of TJ and MS and no decent players
    What I dont get is why people have to look at the Standard Liege link when we sign a player... What if you put another spin on it and signed him before he went Liege it would be Tony Watt from Celtic and people would probably be banging on about the goal he scored v Barcelona, with YouTube clips a plenty.

Dont forget had we signed him direct for £1.3m that would have damaged our FFP and we'd have been limited in our squad building... We could now sign him like we did Reza on a Free Transfer and we'll get away with it