Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt - (ed. page 16. Confirmed, 3 1/2 year deal)

Comments

• Options

vff said:

Tony Watt has not worked out at Standard Liege. Maybe a change of scenery will help. The Daily Express article is a bit worrying though, the number of managers who have said that he is not professional enough in his attitude. Maybe this is his chance to sort himself out and prove himself again.

I am happy to give him a chance. I just hope upon hope if this happens, is that RD is not going to have the chutzpah to pass off Tony Watt as Vetekele's strike partner we have been waiting for all season. Given what RD has attempted to pass off as acceptable so far, I am concerned.

TW is likely to be likely lacking fitness and if his confidence is not great, then trying to carrying that role is not going to put help him. It will put pressure and undermine his chance of success. Where if he is an addition to a quality striker and doesn't have that weight, he may be more likely to succeed. Most Charlton supporters will give him a chance, particularly if he puts the effort in. I will give Tony Watt the chance. Its a great chance for him to kick start his career lets hope he takes it.

msomerton said:

This will be another standard Liege cast off dumped on us by R D. So far none of these have proved good enough for the championship football. roland trying to savce money on a lost cause.

The constant moaning about RD on here is incredible. Oh how I long for the days of TJ and MS and no decent players
    What I dont get is why people have to look at the Standard Liege link when we sign a player... What if you put another spin on it and signed him before he went Liege it would be Tony Watt from Celtic and people would probably be banging on about the goal he scored v Barcelona, with YouTube clips a plenty.

Dont forget had we signed him direct for £1.3m that would have damaged our FFP and we'd have been limited in our squad building... We could now sign him like we did Reza on a Free Transfer and we'll get away with it
    We obviously need to go back to the good old days of the Inter Milan link-up, their 'reserves / rejects' might be good enough for some people on here - except none of them wanted to come! I seem to remember one geezer even turned us down in favour of Ipswich!
  • Options
    I don't think it's about the network being fundamentally good or bad. It's about whether Tony Watt is the type of striker Bob seeks or not, and whether, if yes, Watt's attitude can be sorted out. The attitude problem goes back to his Celtic days, and was not rectified by Standard. That's why he has not been a success there and has usually been just a sub. I'm hoping for a success, but at this time I'm not expecting it
  • Options

I don't think it's about the network being fundamentally good or bad. It's about whether Tony Watt is the type of striker Bob seeks or not, and whether, if yes, Watt's attitude can be sorted out. The attitude problem goes back to his Celtic days, and was not rectified by Standard. That's why he has not been a success there and has usually been just a sub. I'm hoping for a success, but at this time I'm not expecting it

He's also been in trouble due to his attitude with another Belgian club (on loan last season) too. So are we just hoping it's going to be fourth time lucky ?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Sort of player Curbs or CP may have taken a gamble on ... Talented with something to prove .. In the Marcus Bent mould.

Don't think Marcus Bent had much in the way of talent myself

• Options

Could have legs now its on the Daily Mail... they usually get it right with us dont they?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2884344/Charlton-Athletic-close-loan-deal-Standard-Liege-forward-Tony-Watt.html

They used to, when Paddy Collins was there, because he is a Charlton fan. Now he's retired, treat it with a pinch of salt.
  • Options

Could have legs now its on the Daily Mail... they usually get it right with us dont they?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2884344/Charlton-Athletic-close-loan-deal-Standard-Liege-forward-Tony-Watt.html

They used to, when Paddy Collins was there, because he is a Charlton fan. Now he's retired, treat it with a pinch of salt.
    Unless he's heard something at Charlton and has passed the information on to Daily Mail... He'll still keep in contact with various contacts wont he?
  • Options
    I do not understand BP's need for a big man/little man strike partnership, Liverpool did not do too bad last season with Suarez and Sturridge, neither you would class as a big man.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I do not understand BP's need for a big man/little man strike partnership, Liverpool did not do too bad last season with Suarez and Sturridge, neither you would class as a big man.

That's true but don't forget Bob was himself a big target man and obviously sees the potential in that sort of attack?

• Options
    Has BP actually said he wants a target man ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2014

Kap10 said:

Sort of player Curbs or CP may have taken a gamble on ... Talented with something to prove .. In the Marcus Bent mould.

Don't think Marcus Bent had much in the way of talent myself

I don't know, he knew how cut a deal for himself, fall out of favour by normally getting a mysterious pulled hammy after 20 mins and then moving on to the next big pay day. Got us a point on his debut at Chelski though against all odds when they were sweeping everyone aside especially at home that season. :-0
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Oggy Red said:

He could re-light our season

Only if he has electric pace and can keep the ohm fans happy.

Not sure it's the same guy, but I heard he has a good engine although is prone to running out of steam...
    You really take the Biscuit, I did the good engine pun on August 31,
    Page 3, just shows how long this thread has been running.

• Options
    ross1 said:

A quick Google says Suarez is 5 ft 11 and Sturridge between 6 ft and 6 ft 2. Not typical target men but at that level they have more than enough about them to make up for that. It's also less of an issue when they have team mates with more ability on the ball.

How many successful Championship sides play without some sort of physical presence and height up front? At the very least it's useful having that option in the squad.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

ross1 said:

A quick Google says Suarez is 5 ft 11 and Sturridge between 6 ft and 6 ft 2. Not typical target men but at that level they have more than enough about them to make up for that. It's also less of an issue when they have team mates with more ability on the ball.

How many successful Championship sides play without some sort of physical presence and height up front? At the very least it's useful having that option in the squad.
    More to the point one is Luis Suarez, arguably the best striker in the world right now and the other is Sturridge who isn't too shabby.

Much harder to find Championship sides playing successfully with two smaller, Championship standard strikers.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Liverpool > Charlton
  • Options
    Suarez is as strong as an ox and very difficult to shrug off the ball. On the other hand Vetokele and Harriott were constantly brushed aside by the Blackpool defenders and neither could make an impact. We certainly need a strong striker in order to get the best out of Igor.
  • Options
    it makes me laugh where some people get there info from why would we sign vetokele on a 5 year deal then swap him for a man who scored 1 goal against barcelona it all bollocks to me
  • Options
    dallas said:

it makes me laugh where some people get there info from why would we sign vetokele on a 5 year deal then swap him for a man who scored 1 goal against barcelona it all bollocks to me

Who mentioned anything about a swap???
  • Options
    some idiot
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sorry must have read it some where else
  • Options
    No worries. I'd be rightly annoyed too if we swapped Igor for a potential trouble maker. On the face of it though, it seems like a risk free gamble for Charlton so I'm willing to back the incoming striker and hope he scores lots of goals.
  • Options

Suarez is as strong as an ox and very difficult to shrug off the ball. On the other hand Vetokele and Harriott were constantly brushed aside by the Blackpool defenders and neither could make an impact. We certainly need a strong striker in order to get the best out of Igor.

He hardly needed pushing off the ball, he seemed to just let it roll past him most of the time!
  • Options
    Ings and Vokes best double act last season in champ. sam's 6.1 and danny's 5.10
    Quinn and phillips back in the day. Noel 6.4 and kevin 5.7 the best example of big man little man in champ.
    Rhodes and Gestede at Blackburn, score plenty. 6.1 and 6.4, big man,and big man.

can't think of too many sides who have a pair of strikers who are under 5.10 and both score in championship ?
  • Options
    Even if Watt is a similar player to Igor he could still be a good signing. Looking at Igor he needs a decent rest and a player who can take the pressure off him. If we could drop Igor for a few games because Watt can fill his role then that would be a good signing. If Watt then scores a couple the pressure for Igor to drag us through games might come off and we could get the best out of both of them. You need a squad to get through any league and having a couple of similar players can be great for the team.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

He could re-light our season

Only if he has electric pace and can keep the ohm fans happy.

Not sure it's the same guy, but I heard he has a good engine although is prone to running out of steam...
    You really take the Biscuit, I did the good engine pun on August 31,
    Page 3, just shows how long this thread has been running.

Get off your soapbox, Sam ;-)

(No, I don't have any insight into this potential transfer saga either!)
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

Why don't we just sign suarez?

I don't think Saurez and Igor would work well, let's not bother.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

Why don't we just sign suarez?

He's got a bit too much bite when attacking