Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carson Incident

Comments

• Options
    This thread is absolutely bat shit crazy
  • Options

IAgree said:

Redskin said:

I use the word Mong in every day life, so do a lot of people I know and I'm not going to stop anytime soon. Its a throw away word for when someone's being an idiot but on another site I had someone telling me how offensive it was.

Like father,like son...

Na I'm a better looking version.

I use the word Mong in every day life, so do a lot of people I know and I'm not going to stop anytime soon. Its a throw away word for when someone's being an idiot but on another site I had someone telling me how offensive it was.

So, if you had a child, that suffered from Downs Syndrome. You would refer to them as a mong ?
    I didn't say I refer to downs people as mongs. I said when someone acts like an idiot.

Why do people on this site act like they're the holiest of holy. I'd put money that yourself, HI and Redskin have said things before that would be 'frowned' upon in this easily offended world we live in.
    The difference is you are obviously very aware that what you say may offend and seem to be proud of it to boot!
    Correct Greenie Junior, I have said things in PRIVATE, that would be frowned upon.

But I don't go on a public message board and say offensive things (hopefully). It may be two faced, but it is being aware, that anyone, can read this. This is why so many people come a cropper, with their tweets.

And yes, years ago, I no doubt said mong. But I have learnt, that it is not acceptable and I wouldn't be so naive, as to say I will continue saying it.

Anyway, you're a good lad & I don't want to sound too precious, so these are my just views.

No offence intended. Just a discussion.
    I know it's just your views mate, no offence taken. I enjoy a good discussion.

I don't think I've said offensive things to people on here, other than calling my dad a pikey earlier in the thread.
    I simply was mentioning someone having the hump with me saying Mong and admitted to using the term regularly.

I think the only time I've used the term on here was when I'd had a few beers and entered a heated debate, was probably wrong of me to use it on here as I know people will get offended. As I say though, I will most likely continue to use it when speaking with friends etc
    Would you use the word 'mong' if someone close to you was Down's Syndrome?
    As in, my family? Yes, 100%. I don't associate the word Mong with people who have Down's syndrome. If I was using a word to offensively describe them, wouldn't it be downie? (Genuine question, not out to offend)
    Nah. You clearly don't know this, so you can be excused. 'mong' is short for 'mongoloid', which is (or rather was - I haven't heard it used in at least 20 years, probably longer) an extremely offensive word used for people with Down Syndrome
    Correct and I cringe when hearing youngsters use it.
    As for the term `pikey', if the travelling community or whatever you choose to call them showed the slightest bit of respect for anyone else in society I would say the term may be offensive but they don't. So, sod'em.
  • Options
    Okay got ya.

But,
    As someone mentioned earlier, words evolve and change meaning all the time, gay for instance, used to mean happy, everyone knows that.

IMO the word Mong has evolved in my generation (tell me if I'm wrong) to, as SJH says, meaning a div or idiot as opposed to a derogatory term for a sufferer of Down syndrome.

Obviously people of an older generation know it as it's original meaning and will frown upon it but to myself and others around my age it's a throw away comment for an idiot therefore I'll refrain from using it on here as to not offend any of you oldies.

;)
  • Options
    Whether you mean it or not, using the word "gay" as a word to take the p*ss out of someone else is seen as reinforcing the negative and damaging stereotype that being homosexual is in some way a bad thing.

In a western country like this it is therefore no longer an acceptable term to use.
  • Options

Any word on whether the fan was seen in his usual seat yesterday?

No he has his own mobile seat and moves around alot.
  • Options

Whether you mean it or not, using the word "gay" as a word to take the p*ss out of someone else is seen as reinforcing the negative and damaging stereotype that being homosexual is in some way a bad thing.

In a western country like this it is therefore no longer an acceptable term to use.

I wouldn't recommend it in the middle east either.
  • Options
    The major offence occurs when the recipient perceives the remark as offensive.

It kinda makes it tough on us Brits, because generally we never take offence. Aussies call us pommie Bar-stewards, (surely a badge of honour), Americans call of us as Limeys …(read adventurous sailors on the high seas - exploring and conquering the world on nothing more than salted beef and a tot of rum) … How bad?

In the old days it was easy to tell whether a comment was delivered in a spirit of jest or malice. Nowadays with globalisation and social media it is far more complicated - the British sense of humour is not appreciated by all … sadly. Best not to take the chance.
  • Options

IAgree said:

Redskin said:

Like father,like son...

So, if you had a child, that suffered from Downs Syndrome. You would refer to them as a mong ?
    I didn't say I refer to downs people as mongs. I said when someone acts like an idiot.

Why do people on this site act like they're the holiest of holy. I'd put money that yourself, HI and Redskin have said things before that would be 'frowned' upon in this easily offended world we live in.
    The difference is you are obviously very aware that what you say may offend and seem to be proud of it to boot!
    Correct Greenie Junior, I have said things in PRIVATE, that would be frowned upon.

But I don't go on a public message board and say offensive things (hopefully). It may be two faced, but it is being aware, that anyone, can read this. This is why so many people come a cropper, with their tweets.

And yes, years ago, I no doubt said mong. But I have learnt, that it is not acceptable and I wouldn't be so naive, as to say I will continue saying it.

Anyway, you're a good lad & I don't want to sound too precious, so these are my just views.

I don't think I've said offensive things to people on here, other than calling my dad a pikey earlier in the thread.
    I simply was mentioning someone having the hump with me saying Mong and admitted to using the term regularly.

I think the only time I've used the term on here was when I'd had a few beers and entered a heated debate, was probably wrong of me to use it on here as I know people will get offended. As I say though, I will most likely continue to use it when speaking with friends etc
    As in, my family? Yes, 100%. I don't associate the word Mong with people who have Down's syndrome. If I was using a word to offensively describe them, wouldn't it be downie? (Genuine question, not out to offend)
    Nah. You clearly don't know this, so you can be excused. 'mong' is short for 'mongoloid', which is (or rather was - I haven't heard it used in at least 20 years, probably longer) an extremely offensive word used for people with Down Syndrome
    As for the term `pikey', if the travelling community or whatever you choose to call them showed the slightest bit of respect for anyone else in society I would say the term may be offensive but they don't. So, sod'em.
    I have worked with members of the travelling community, and they have shown respect towards me and others in the workplace too.

Would that count as the 'slightest bit'?
  • Options
    Didn't know you tarmacced drives Seth.

;-)
  • Options
    seth plum said:

IAgree said:

Redskin said:

Like father,like son...

I have worked with members of the travelling community, and they have shown respect towards me and others in the workplace too.

Would that count as the 'slightest bit'?
    slightly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In a year or so's time, someone will start a thread entitled "Weirdest Thread you've seen on here". This will 100% get a mention.
  • Options
    I know loads of gypos. They are not decent people, that's just what people say in their company to avoid a glass in the face.

Everyone can have their opinions and I do not have good ones about the travelling community. And I doubt hand on heart can many others.
  • Options
  • Options
    Kept away from this thread since the weekend, but thought I'd have a read, due to the amount of posts. I stupidly thought they'd obviously caught the offender and the 150 or so posts were everyone spouting about the the flem monster.

Instead I see pages of waffle about queers & pikeys. More worrying was the fact that the most sensible post I saw was from Sparrows Lane Lion.

I'm off to bed.................................
  • Options
    Flem monster or phlegm monster.
    Was this fella from Belgian ?
    Or was he spitting greenies.
    Either way was he at Tuesdays game ?

• Options
    I knew a gay pikey. Have to say it was a very funny experience. His dad was a very hard local troublemaker in the 70's and his son was a great disappointment to him. The whole family used to rob houses in Petts Wood and Chislehurst. Unfortuntely he wanted to be a hairdresser but his dad wouldn't have it and he was taken on the burglaries although he didn't want to go. Apparently police were reporting that there was a spate of burglaries where goods and money was missing, but also that someone had rearranged the furniture.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All this is boring now.
    Bore me later
  • Options
    Why do some black people call themselves the "N" word? I dont understand it.

• Options
    WayneK said:

neighbour? Bit racist there mate.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

I still can't get over the fact Channel 5 are allowed to present a show called Cowboy Builders.
    How demeaning for all those ranch hands whose work is generalised as being shit.

Don't get me started on cowboys.

• Options
    WayneK said:

i think it is partly to do with the word being used in hip hop by a lot of black artists these days and it not being used in a non derogatory way. I'm not saying everyone should start using it and it being ok for non-black people to say as long as it isn't used in a derogatory manner - there are far, far to many people who would not feel comfortable and be very offended.

The use of this word by the youth of today still baffles a lot of people of older generations, as a 19 year old, having gone to a multi cultural school and my close friendship group being composed of more ethnic minorities than not, both in london and at university, i'd say i can give a fairly decent insight. The word is still insulting if used as an insult, however on social media, especially twitter it is used in a non offensive, even a playful way, mostly by black people to describe other black people and generally spelt ending with an 'a' rather than an 'er', perhaps this is also due to hip-hop influences such as NWA. I guess you can compare it to 'homie' or 'bro'.

Still quite a difficult one to grasp but many a time when me and friends have been chilling, the word is used by my black friends and nobody thinks anything of it. The concept of the word has definitely changed through generations and what was once an offensive word used by only whites to offend black people is now becoming a word that black people now use in a non offensive way which I think can only be a good thing.

I just wanted to clarify for you how the use of the word is changing, but I myself have never used it and don't intend to nor recommend using it around anyone.
  • Options
    I would not dream of calling any of my black friends that even in the most friendliest ways.
  • Options
    What key can unlock any door? ................. a pikey.
  • Options
    WayneK said:

Nigel?