Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carson Incident

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    So.
    Has anyone let Scott Carson know how disgusted we all are or are we now only interested in debating how offensive certain words are?

:-)
  • Options
    What if they stop travelling? What race are they when they buy a house!?
  • Options

But that's the thing, I'm not using it as in gay, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't mean gay. I use it to describe someone being pathetic, as in if you touch someone on the arm and they say 'ouch' I might say they're being a poof.

Having said that I don't actually use the word poof frequently, but would always argue for someones right to say it.

And Henry I like to think my friends trust me enough to be able to feel comfortable with telling me their sexuality thank you very much.

But it does mean gay. You can't just redefine words to please yourself.

What if you decide that the N word means "forgetful", you couldn't defend your right to use the word when your mates forget something!

And the example you gave "touching someone on the arm and they say ouch" is implying they're wimps... not manly... and therefore I would argue you are 100% using it in a derogatory way based on gay stereotypes.
    But poof, gay and queer meant totally different things years ago, just because homosexuals nicked the words and changed the meaning doesn't mean we can't use them. Or does it? We need to be told!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Although there is just a reference to it being used to describe homosexuals not sure if that actually means it is its definite meaning or not
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

What if they stop travelling? What race are they when they buy a house!?

Reminds me of the "We shall not be moved" banner that was proudly on display at Dale Farm!
  • Options
    Gay still means happy, joyful, cheerful etc, it also means homosexual. However it is the homosexual connotation that started kids saying something was gay and this then eventually changed its playground meaning to bad/rubbish. My mate's child said that his dinner was gay, when I questioned how he knew he said it meant disgusting.

Funny thing language isn't it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

My old grandad used to say 'Im feeling a little queer' when he was unwell. My Gay mate, Cucumber Keith, heard this once but was never offended. C'est la vie.

That's great, we have a guy known as Cucumber Keith who is the final arbiter of right and wrong. I shall sleep easy tonight in the knowledge that if Cucumber Keith is happy, all must be right with the world.
    Greenie said:

But poof, gay and queer meant totally different things years ago, just because homosexuals nicked the words and changed the meaning doesn't mean we can't use them. Or does it? We need to be told!

You would have a fantastic argument there if only the word 'poof' had actually changed its meaning, if the original meaning of 'gay' no longer existed and if the new meaning of 'queer' hadn't come about as a part of anti-gay rhetoric.
  • Options

No such low-lifes in A block I'm pleased to report...................;-)

seemed to be very little life in a A block at all on Saturday and even less last night - maybe mummy had them all home in bed right after 'In The Night Garden'
  • Options

se9addick said:

Curb_It said:

But who's talking about a race of people. In my mind pikey means bad behaviour! The other month my mate told me she was in the same work clothes from the day before as she hadnt made it home the previous night... I called her a pikey (not because she hadnt made it home). I will not let that word be taken from my vocabulary by others. I honestly wont and if it makes me racist I shall have to live with that.

That's what I used to say about the word mong... and spaz...

And no doubt my Grandad used to say about Paki

Edit: Yes obviously I'm not implying the word mong or spaz are racist, but you know what I mean (hopefully)
    And "Poof". I guess we are not allowed to use that anymore? I don't mean using it in a derogatory way to a gay person but when you say to your mates that your not coming down the pub:
    Sorry lads, I know I'm being a bit of a poof but I can't make it tonight, I was late home last night and Karen really got the 'ump......
    But in that example you are using the word in a derogatory way
    Not to a gay person. No gay people involved in the conversation so how could they be offended? Unless one of my mates is a closet queen!
    How do you know none of the lads are gay ?
    None of their cocks taste like shit.............
  • Options
    lordromford
    Has anyone let Scott Carson know how disgusted we all are or are we now only interested in debating how offensive certain words are?

Nice try your lordship:-)

• Options
    Stig said:

Greenie said:

My old grandad used to say 'Im feeling a little queer' when he was unwell. My Gay mate, Cucumber Keith, heard this once but was never offended. C'est la vie.

That's great, we have a guy known as Cucumber Keith who is the final arbiter of right and wrong. I shall sleep easy tonight in the knowledge that if Cucumber Keith is happy, all must be right with the world.
    Greenie said:

You would have a fantastic argument there if only the word 'poof' had actually changed its meaning, if the original meaning of 'gay' no longer existed and if the new meaning of 'queer' hadn't come about as a part of anti-gay rhetoric.
    Well thanks for all that!

Unfortunately Cucumber Keith is no longer with us, I won't tell you how he snuffed it!

I think a lot of people take things way too seriously, most seem to be on here!
  • Options
    Say what you like,but there is a definite smear of casual racism/homophobia on here from a minority of muttonheads.
  • Options
    I use the word Mong in every day life, so do a lot of people I know and I'm not going to stop anytime soon. Its a throw away word for when someone's being an idiot but on another site I had someone telling me how offensive it was.
  • Options

I use the word Mong in every day life, so do a lot of people I know and I'm not going to stop anytime soon. Its a throw away word for when someone's being an idiot but on another site I had someone telling me how offensive it was.

Like father,like son...

• Options
    Redskin said:

Say what you like,but there is a definite smear of casual racism/homophobia on here from a minority of muttonheads.

Are you a native American?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Did you stop to think just why it might be offensive regardless of whether you and a lot of people use it, even as a "throw away" word?

Anyway I think this thread will be sunk very soon.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Redskin said:

Are you a native American?
    What do you think?

• Options
    yes the Pikeys have nicked this thread.

did the guy who gobbed turn up last night ?
  • Options

So, if you had a child, that suffered from Downs Syndrome. You would refer to them as a mong ?
  • Options
    The tosser who spat at Carson is doubly guilty now. The original incident and now this bloody thread.

(With apologies to any tossers out there. No offence meant.)
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Like father,like son...

Na I'm a better looking version.

So, if you had a child, that suffered from Downs Syndrome. You would refer to them as a mong ?
    I didn't say I refer to downs people as mongs. I said when someone acts like an idiot.

Why do people on this site act like they're the holiest of holy. I'd put money that yourself, HI and Redskin have said things before that would be 'frowned' upon in this easily offended world we live in.
  • Options
    Only the veggies are the 'holiest of the holy' Gjr - the rest of you are f**ked ;-)
  • Options

Redskin said:

Like father,like son...

I didn't say I refer to downs people as mongs. I said when someone acts like an idiot.

Why do people on this site act like they're the holiest of holy. I'd put money that yourself, HI and Redskin have said things before that would be 'frowned' upon in this easily offended world we live in.
    It's to do with your usage. If tomorrow suddenly Palace fans started calling idiots "dirty Addicks" and throwing around other offensive connotations to do with us Charlton fans you'd rightly be offended - language is powerful and consistently being used negatively has a number of unattractive effects (hence why using "gay" continually in a negative light is the new thing to try and weed out of language). Mong has a history, similar (but to a lesser extent) to the "n" word, in that it's original and primary usage was to denigrate and insult those suffering Downs Syndrome. For more on this, see this Guardian article over the Ricky Gervais use of the word - http://www.theguardian.com/society/joepublic/2011/oct/19/ricky-gervais-mong-twitter
  • Options

Redskin said:

Like father,like son...

The difference is you are obviously very aware that what you say may offend and seem to be proud of it to boot!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    IAgree said:

Redskin said:

Like father,like son...

The difference is you are obviously very aware that what you say may offend and seem to be proud of it to boot!
    Correct Greenie Junior, I have said things in PRIVATE, that would be frowned upon.

But I don't go on a public message board and say offensive things (hopefully). It may be two faced, but it is being aware, that anyone, can read this. This is why so many people come a cropper, with their tweets.

And yes, years ago, I no doubt said mong. But I have learnt, that it is not acceptable and I wouldn't be so naive, as to say I will continue saying it.

Anyway, you're a good lad & I don't want to sound too precious, so these are my just views.

No offence intended. Just a discussion.