Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carson Incident

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:

A school of pike is known as a load pikeys

Back to.the argument the term pikey is no.more racist than knacker or tinker

But if you just call them all dirty gypos it saves all the questions as gypo can't be racist

OK, that's your opinion. But there are plenty of people who think that both pikey and gypo are racist.

Move on, surely you must have something better to do?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

But if you just call them all dirty gypos it saves all the questions as gypo can't be racist

OK, that's your opinion. But there are plenty of people who think that both pikey and gypo are racist.

Pikeys are a race of people is what you are saying.

Unbelievable Jeff.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Pikeys are a race of people is what you are saying.

Unbelievable Jeff.
    Yes, that's right. But, as Greenie said, maybe it's time to move on.

• Options
    I'm confused, when I travelled up the East coast of Australia, could people call me a pikey or gyppo?
  • Options
    anyway

We won last night playing the best football for years so can we agree to disagree, move on, and talk more about BIKEY than PIKEY
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

It's interesting, is it not, that the UK Govt. has designated them as an ethnic group while the Republic of Ireland classifies them as merely a social group?

Presumably, therefore the Irish see being a Traveller as just being a life choice, a bit like being a Goth, a Hippie or a Hell's Angel.

The Irish Travellers show no respect for anyone else's property, culture and lifestyle. (This is true in Ireland as well as here.) Until they do it is difficult to imagine it as being possible that they will get any respect in return.
    Let's face it, if it wasn't for their penchant for mobile homes, Mitsubishi Animals, stealing other people's possessions and ruining the lives of their children, they would be indistinguishable from the rest of the white population of this country.

For accuracy it was an English court that decided Irish Travellers were afforded the protection of the Race Relations Act not the government. All governments would rather they were not regarded as a recognised race as this makes it far more difficult to evict them from illegal encampments.

independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/irish-travellers-gain-legal-status-of-ethnic-minority-710768.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So, an opposition player at Charlton gets spat at, and there's not a whisper of it in the press.

& you lot always claim our excuse that "it happens elsewhere and isn't reported" is a lie. Well, if this had happened at Millwall you can imagine the uproar there would be.

The spin on the story is that it's a rare occurrence at a family friendly club. Which in of itself isn't that interesting. If it was just one of many horrible things, then maybe it'd be worth talking about. Which I guess is why you get so much attention.
  • Options
    Personally don't think we're a particularly family-friendly club anymore.
  • Options
    Maybe, maybe not, but that's how we're perceived by the majority, I'd wager.
  • Options
    From the OED. Words in bold are my emphasis.

------------------

Pronunciation: Brit. /ˈpʌɪki/ , U.S. /ˈpaɪki/
    Forms: 18– pikey, 18– piky, 19– pikie, 19– pyky, 19– pyky. Also with capital initial.
    Etymology: < pike n.7 + -y suffix6. Compare piker n.2
    Chiefly Eng. regional (south-east.) slang (derogatory). Now considered offensive.
    A. n.
    Thesaurus »
    Categories »

A traveller, a gypsy; a vagrant, a tramp; (hence more generally) a lower-class person, regarded as coarse or disreputable.
    Earliest in compound pikey-man n.

1838 Times 27 Aug. 6/2 A desperate affray occurred at Eastchurch in Sheppey, between the resident labourers and the ‘pikey-men’, as they are termed, or strangers who have come into the island to harvesting.
    1847 J. O. Halliwell Dict. Archaic & Provinc. Words II, Piky, a gipsey. Kent.
    1887 W. D. Parish & W. F. Shaw Dict. Kentish Dial. 116 Piky,..a turnpike traveller; a vagabond; and so generally a low fellow.
    1905 F. M. Hueffer Soul of London ii. 44 These people are not mere picturesque survivals; their number increases day by day;..but I cannot claim to have entered London in a pikey's cart.
    1922 A. E. Coppard Adam & Eve & pinch Me 151 Mrs. Pellegrini had a family of pikeys who traded in horses, willow-wattles, and rocksalt.
    1955 P. Wildeblood Against Law 125 My family's all Pikeys, but we ain't on the road no more!
    1973 P. Lee in J. Sandford Rokkering to Gorjios (2000) i. 29 Then there's the Didecoi, which is very rare, a Tinker girl marrying a Romany Chal, and you get the Pikie which are Tinker and Romany mixed blood.
    1993 R. Lowe & W. Shaw Travellers 95 ‘Pikey’ is an old word for gypsy.
    2000 Guardian 20 Apr. 3/2 Farms in Norfolk have long attracted travelling people... To Martin, they were nothing but ‘light-fingered pykies’.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Maybe, maybe not, but that's how we're perceived by the majority, I'd wager.

That's very true.
  • Options
    Ahhhhhhhhh I can't take any more of this!!!

If only Diana was still here !
  • Options

Curb_It said:

But who's talking about a race of people. In my mind pikey means bad behaviour! The other month my mate told me she was in the same work clothes from the day before as she hadnt made it home the previous night... I called her a pikey (not because she hadnt made it home). I will not let that word be taken from my vocabulary by others. I honestly wont and if it makes me racist I shall have to live with that.

That's what I used to say about the word mong... and spaz...

And no doubt my Grandad used to say about Paki

Edit: Yes obviously I'm not implying the word mong or spaz are racist, but you know what I mean (hopefully)
    And "Poof". I guess we are not allowed to use that anymore? I don't mean using it in a derogatory way to a gay person but when you say to your mates that your not coming down the pub:
    Sorry lads, I know I'm being a bit of a poof but I can't make it tonight, I was late home last night and Karen really got the 'ump......
  • Options
    I want to know more about why @Curb_it 's mate didn't make it home?
  • Options

Curb_It said:

But who's talking about a race of people. In my mind pikey means bad behaviour! The other month my mate told me she was in the same work clothes from the day before as she hadnt made it home the previous night... I called her a pikey (not because she hadnt made it home). I will not let that word be taken from my vocabulary by others. I honestly wont and if it makes me racist I shall have to live with that.

Edit: Yes obviously I'm not implying the word mong or spaz are racist, but you know what I mean (hopefully)
    And "Poof". I guess we are not allowed to use that anymore? I don't mean using it in a derogatory way to a gay person but when you say to your mates that your not coming down the pub:
    Sorry lads, I know I'm being a bit of a poof but I can't make it tonight, I was late home last night and Karen really got the 'ump......
    But in that example you are using the word in a derogatory way
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Curb_It said:

Not to a gay person. No gay people involved in the conversation so how could they be offended? Unless one of my mates is a closet queen!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Travellers are not a race of people---Romanises yes ok. Travellers can be Irish/English/great unwashed etc etc as i said and Leroy elberated ask the Irish about Tinkers--Knackers etc they have a great vocabulary of words for Pikeys.

PS so what happened about the scum bag(probably not a Pikey) who gobed in Carson`s face ?

• Options

Curb_It said:

Not to a gay person. No gay people involved in the conversation so how could they be offended? Unless one of my mates is a closet queen!
    yes, maybe one of your friends is gay and want's to come out but hearing you using words like "poof" (sic) and "queen" (sic) wouldn't help, would it.

But I said that you used the word in a derogatory way, not that someone was or wasn't offended.

• Options

Curb_It said:

How do you know none of the lads are gay ?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    se9addick said:

Curb_It said:

Well I've got me doubts about Clarence.

No need for the lessons on how to behave in this brave new 21st century by the way I was just giving another example like Curb_it did about keeping Pikey in her vocabulary.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Curb_It said:

yes, maybe one of your friends is gay and want's to come out but hearing you using words like "poof" (sic) and "queen" (sic) wouldn't help, would it.

But I said that you used the word in a derogatory way, not that someone was or wasn't offended.

Curb_It said:

But you're using poof, as in gay, as in bad... so it's not something to shout about really. It could still be construed as a sign of a bigoted mind even if there was no-one there to take offence, it's in the language.

I'm not saying you are a bigot by the way and I'm sure you're using the term innocently. I used to call things "gay" meaning "shit" until a few years ago when I realised that my playground language of the 80's was outdated.
    But that's the thing, I'm not using it as in gay, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't mean gay. I use it to describe someone being pathetic, as in if you touch someone on the arm and they say 'ouch' I might say they're being a poof.

Having said that I don't actually use the word poof frequently, but would always argue for someones right to say it.

And Henry I like to think my friends trust me enough to be able to feel comfortable with telling me their sexuality thank you very much.

And also if I was using the word poof in a derogatory way against gay people then you'd be right, it wouldn't help, but since I would never do that it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Curb_It said:

Because I caught him looking at a girls behind after he dragged me to see Broke Back Mountain with him.
  • Options

But that's the thing, I'm not using it as in gay, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't mean gay. I use it to describe someone being pathetic, as in if you touch someone on the arm and they say 'ouch' I might say they're being a poof.

Having said that I don't actually use the word poof frequently, but would always argue for someones right to say it.

And Henry I like to think my friends trust me enough to be able to feel comfortable with telling me their sexuality thank you very much.

But it does mean gay. You can't just redefine words to please yourself.

What if you decide that the N word means "forgetful", you couldn't defend your right to use the word when your mates forget something!

And the example you gave "touching someone on the arm and they say ouch" is implying they're wimps... not manly... and therefore I would argue you are 100% using it in a derogatory way based on gay stereotypes.
  • Options
    My old grandad used to say 'Im feeling a little queer' when he was unwell. My Gay mate, Cucumber Keith, heard this once but was never offended. C'est la vie.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

But it does mean gay. You can't just redefine words to please yourself.

What if you decide that the N word means "forgetful", you couldn't defend your right to use the word when your mates forget something!

And the example you gave "touching someone on the arm and they say ouch" is implying they're wimps... not manly... and therefore I would argue you are 100% using it in a derogatory way based on gay stereotypes.
    But I'm not using it in a derogatory manner at all so therefore it is someones choice if they are offended by that. If I was using it to describe a gay person then I would understand people taking offence.

As for my example I would 100% argue against you there and my reaction would be exactly the same if i did it to a woman (touched her on the arm). So nothing to do with sexuality there. However I do see your point about redefining words and accept that does make sense, I actually thought it was purely slang in terms for homosexuals but there is a reference to it in the dictionary.