Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carson Incident

Comments

• Options
    This is one pathetic thread.

(Apologies if you are offended by the word pathetic)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    GJ does have a point somewhat in that some posters aren't seen for shit but as soon as a thread like this appears out they pop and must feel really good about themselves.
  • Options

GJ does have a point somewhat in that some posters aren't seen for shit but as soon as a thread like this appears out they pop and must feel really good about themselves.

You've come up with this before.

Who are you talking about, exactly? Name names.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Greenie said:

Redskin said:

Say what you like,but there is a definite smear of casual racism/homophobia on here from a minority of muttonheads.

Are you a native American?
    Well played.

There's something deeply ironic about someone complaining about Casual racism when he's given himself a name that has very recently caused a huge shitstorm for its offensiveness.

In fact, that particular term has been offensive since the 70s.

Surely with that in mind, you of all people @Redskin, can see its not always as simple as "He said a word that could be racist!"? That in fact there must be some intention behind the use of the word?

After all, I'm sure there was no intention to be racist when you signed up to CharltonLife? But if you used that term to describe a native American it would be very offensive. So does intention not come in to whether something should be deemed racist or not?

Greenie hit the nail on the head a few pages back. I'll never forget my grandad saying I look queer.. He meant I look ill. He had no intention to insinuate I was homosexual.

The intentions behind a word mean just as much as the choice of word
  • Options
    Anyway has the spitter been identified yet?
  • Options
    Classic. What a bizarre thread.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Anyway has the spitter been identified yet?

If you want to talk about that pikey chap that spat at the goalkeeper start another thre... Oh.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    LuckyReds said:

Greenie said:

Redskin said:

Say what you like,but there is a definite smear of casual racism/homophobia on here from a minority of muttonheads.

Well played.

There's something deeply ironic about someone complaining about Casual racism when he's given himself a name that has very recently caused a huge shitstorm for its offensiveness.

Surely with that in mind, you of all people @Redskin, can see its not always as simple as "He said a word that could be racist!"? That in fact there must be some intention behind the use of the word?

After all, I'm sure there was no intention to be racist when you signed up to CharltonLife? But if you used that term to describe a native American it would be very offensive. So does intention not come in to whether something should be deemed racist or not?

Greenie hit the nail on the head a few pages back. I'll never forget my grandad saying I look queer.. He meant I look ill. He had no intention to insinuate I was homosexual.

Really?

If there are any Native Americans, or anybody for that matter, on here that find my name offensive, then I apologise, and will happily change it.

But then we all know that's bollocks.

• Options
    Knackers everywhere
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Redskin said:

LuckyReds said:

Greenie said:

Redskin said:

Well played.

Really?

If there are any Native Americans, or anybody for that matter, on here that find myname offensive, then I apologise, and will happily change it.

But then we all know that's bollocks.

So because there's no Native Americans on here it doesn't matter...? So can we be a cove of hatred as long as those foreigners don't know? ;)

I am, of course, joking.

Excuse the stupid way of getting to that point, but can't we agree it does simply boil down to intention and some words aren't simply "racist", but can be used in different contexts?

If so, shall we get back on topic about the disgusting little cretin who spat at Carson?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't talk with me gob full but Plaaayer and GHE are here
  • Options
    After reading through utter tosh for last ten mins, has the plum been caught yet?
  • Options
    _nam11 said:

After reading through utter tosh for last ten mins, has the plum been caught yet?

Yes, in NLA's mouth by the sound of it.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

I use the word Mong in every day life, so do a lot of people I know and I'm not going to stop anytime soon. Its a throw away word for when someone's being an idiot but on another site I had someone telling me how offensive it was.

Like father,like son...

Sorry Geronimo! ;o)

FWIW I have no time for racism etc but what also pisses me off no end is trouble makers trying to find it where it does not exist!
  • Options

Or Robson and Jerome as they prefer to be known.
  • Options

IAgree said:

Redskin said:

I use the word Mong in every day life, so do a lot of people I know and I'm not going to stop anytime soon. Its a throw away word for when someone's being an idiot but on another site I had someone telling me how offensive it was.

Like father,like son...

Na I'm a better looking version.

So, if you had a child, that suffered from Downs Syndrome. You would refer to them as a mong ?
    I didn't say I refer to downs people as mongs. I said when someone acts like an idiot.

Why do people on this site act like they're the holiest of holy. I'd put money that yourself, HI and Redskin have said things before that would be 'frowned' upon in this easily offended world we live in.
    The difference is you are obviously very aware that what you say may offend and seem to be proud of it to boot!
    Correct Greenie Junior, I have said things in PRIVATE, that would be frowned upon.

But I don't go on a public message board and say offensive things (hopefully). It may be two faced, but it is being aware, that anyone, can read this. This is why so many people come a cropper, with their tweets.

And yes, years ago, I no doubt said mong. But I have learnt, that it is not acceptable and I wouldn't be so naive, as to say I will continue saying it.

Anyway, you're a good lad & I don't want to sound too precious, so these are my just views.

No offence intended. Just a discussion.
    I know it's just your views mate, no offence taken. I enjoy a good discussion.

I don't think I've said offensive things to people on here, other than calling my dad a pikey earlier in the thread.
    I simply was mentioning someone having the hump with me saying Mong and admitted to using the term regularly.

I think the only time I've used the term on here was when I'd had a few beers and entered a heated debate, was probably wrong of me to use it on here as I know people will get offended. As I say though, I will most likely continue to use it when speaking with friends etc
  • Options
    This evening...

I don't think I've said offensive things to people on here, other than calling my dad a pikey earlier in the thread.

Last night...

Oh do fuck off, we've just beat derby 3-2 and you're searching for statements from show racism the red card to tell us what is/isn't racist. Very very weird.

;-)

• Options

IAgree said:

Redskin said:

Like father,like son...

So, if you had a child, that suffered from Downs Syndrome. You would refer to them as a mong ?
    I didn't say I refer to downs people as mongs. I said when someone acts like an idiot.

Why do people on this site act like they're the holiest of holy. I'd put money that yourself, HI and Redskin have said things before that would be 'frowned' upon in this easily offended world we live in.
    The difference is you are obviously very aware that what you say may offend and seem to be proud of it to boot!
    Correct Greenie Junior, I have said things in PRIVATE, that would be frowned upon.

But I don't go on a public message board and say offensive things (hopefully). It may be two faced, but it is being aware, that anyone, can read this. This is why so many people come a cropper, with their tweets.

And yes, years ago, I no doubt said mong. But I have learnt, that it is not acceptable and I wouldn't be so naive, as to say I will continue saying it.

Anyway, you're a good lad & I don't want to sound too precious, so these are my just views.

I simply was mentioning someone having the hump with me saying Mong and admitted to using the term regularly.

I think the only time I've used the term on here was when I'd had a few beers and entered a heated debate, was probably wrong of me to use it on here as I know people will get offended. As I say though, I will most likely continue to use it when speaking with friends etc
    Would you use the word 'mong' if someone close to you was Down's Syndrome?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The trouble with closing this thread down is that (as the heading implied) it was about the disgusting behaviour of one of our supporters, not about degrading terms used by people to others. I am interested in what the club intends to do about the Carson affair, not the childish language used by ignorant people, who would be upset by certain words used against them.
  • Options
    "Cant see the wood for the trees". Has the "spitter" been identified yet??
  • Options

IAgree said:

Redskin said:

Like father,like son...

As in, my family? Yes, 100%. I don't associate the word Mong with people who have Down's syndrome. If I was using a word to offensively describe them, wouldn't it be downie? (Genuine question, not out to offend)
  • Options
    Chizz said:

This evening...

Last night...

Oh do fuck off, we've just beat derby 3-2 and you're searching for statements from show racism the red card to tell us what is/isn't racist. Very very weird.

;-)

But didn't you say it was okay to say words like that, Chizz?
  • Options

Chizz said:

This evening...

Last night...

;-)

But didn't you say it was okay to say words like that, Chizz?
    Absolutely!
  • Options

IAgree said:

Redskin said:

Like father,like son...

As in, my family? Yes, 100%. I don't associate the word Mong with people who have Down's syndrome. If I was using a word to offensively describe them, wouldn't it be downie? (Genuine question, not out to offend)
    Nah. You clearly don't know this, so you can be excused. 'mong' is short for 'mongoloid', which is (or rather was - I haven't heard it used in at least 20 years, probably longer) an extremely offensive word used for people with Down Syndrome
  • Options
    I gather we are not going to discuss Carson, so moderator you might as well close it
  • Options

IAgree said:

Redskin said:

Like father,like son...

Mong is a word that people used to use about Down's Syndrome people. I suppose it has evolved to mean someone who is a bit of a div or an idiot. As it is a word that was used to offend people with a mental illness I wouldn't use it nowadays, although I did as a kid before knowing what it really meant.
  • Options
    Any word on whether the fan was seen in his usual seat yesterday?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    T.C.E said:

Or Robson and Jerome as they prefer to be known.
    Which one made extreme fisting fishing?