Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carson Incident

Comments

• Options
    No worries pal
  • Options

Why have I been flagged for calling my dad a pikey lol

The UK's anti-racism education charity, "Show Racism The Red Card" describes the word as "extremely racist and offensive towards anybody from any of the Traveller groups as [it has] a history of being used to hurt and offend people. [The word] should never be used even if it is towards someone who is not a Gypsy or Traveller".
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Ten years ago a group of six of us in our current job roles was asked how you would describe a member of the travelling community.

The first thing that came to mind was Pikey, but I knew that was an unacceptable term to use. No one said a word for a few seconds, so I came out with Gypsy. A sharp no was given in my direction and no one said anything until she said the correct terminology is Traveller.

• Options
    I've yet to hear a convincing explanation as to why the word Pikey is racist.
    Are Pikeys Gypsy tinkers travellers even a race?
  • Options
    Anyway back to matter at hand, did the spitter go tonight?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014

So, an opposition player at Charlton gets spat at, and there's not a whisper of it in the press.

& you lot always claim our excuse that "it happens elsewhere and isn't reported" is a lie. Well, if this had happened at Millwall you can imagine the uproar there would be.

Give the Daily Mail a call then and let them know what happened.

The phone number is on the link below

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/article-299115/Contact-Daily-Mail-Mail-Sunday.html

• Options

So, an opposition player at Charlton gets spat at, and there's not a whisper of it in the press.

& you lot always claim our excuse that "it happens elsewhere and isn't reported" is a lie. Well, if this had happened at Millwall you can imagine the uproar there would be.

Worryingly I think you might be correct...
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Worryingly I think you might be correct...
    Maybe but when their own manager starts being Bertie Smalls in a press conference after the first league game of the season re the Saville song, it does not help their reputation.
  • Options
    Its the scums fault the c*** filter isn't working properly
  • Options
    Chizz said:

The point is this, some words are rude, some offensive and some are racial slurs. Rude words are ok (in fact, at football grounds I think there should be plenty of ruse words!); offensive words are ok (what's wrong with being merely offended?); but racial slurs are far from ok.

So you decide the rules......
  • Options
    One thing I've always found odd about the pikey/racism debate is the amount of Irish friends (or, usually more specifically, parents of Irish friends) who stare in absolute bemusement at English people hand-wringing over whether the word 'pikey' is a 'racist' word. Considering, y'know, Irish people are white and all that. It can't possibly be a 'racist' term (irrespective of what policitcally correct bollocks might tell you) because (and read this next sentence carefully in case you find it difficult to understand simple concepts) 'Irish' is not a 'race'.

Now obviously, if you're using it as a rude or belittling term for anyone who is, appears to be or sounds like they may be of Irish descent, then yes - it's abusive and derogatory - and you should expect a fucking slap off them if you hear it.

As to whether or not it's insulting to travellers - why don't you take the chance to discuss the views of the average Irishman/woman on how 'pikeys' are viewed in Ireland? You may be marginally surprised at the reactions you receive. Here's a hint - they're not particularly popular...
  • Options

Agree with you SLL - usually do tbf.
    I think a lot of our support are clueless to what goes on in the football fan world outside of the valley and believe the hype.
  • Options
    A school of pike is known as a load pikeys

Back to.the argument the term pikey is no.more racist than knacker or tinker

But if you just call them all dirty gypos it saves all the questions as gypo can't be racist
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not all travellers are Irish. The travellers that live in Abbey Wood/Belvedere/Erith are Romany gypsy. I don't know whether that makes them a 'race' or not, but as i said earlier, i wouldn't use that word round them.
  • Options
    It's interesting, is it not, that the UK Govt. has designated them as an ethnic group while the Republic of Ireland classifies them as merely a social group?

Presumably, therefore the Irish see being a Traveller as just being a life choice, a bit like being a Goth, a Hippie or a Hell's Angel.

The Irish Travellers show no respect for anyone else's property, culture and lifestyle. (This is true in Ireland as well as here.) Until they do it is difficult to imagine it as being possible that they will get any respect in return.
    Let's face it, if it wasn't for their penchant for mobile homes, Mitsubishi Animals, stealing other people's possessions and ruining the lives of their children, they would be indistinguishable from the rest of the white population of this country.

• Options
    To be fair the travellers I know don't take to kindly to the word pikey
  • Options

Millwall pikey. ;-)
  • Options

Chizz said:

The point is this, some words are rude, some offensive and some are racial slurs. Rude words are ok (in fact, at football grounds I think there should be plenty of ruse words!); offensive words are ok (what's wrong with being merely offended?); but racial slurs are far from ok.

So you decide the rules......
    Nope. I just have an opinion. If yours is different, then fine.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

we've just beat derby 3-2 and you're searching for statements from show racism the red card to tell us what is/isn't racist. Very very weird.

You just asked why you'd been flagged for calling someone a "pikey". I explained why the word pikey is an unacceptable racial slur.
  • Options

A school of pike is known as a load pikeys

Back to.the argument the term pikey is no.more racist than knacker or tinker

But if you just call them all dirty gypos it saves all the questions as gypo can't be racist

OK, that's your opinion. But there are plenty of people who think that both pikey and gypo are racist.