Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carson Incident

Comments

• Options
    Every Club has got yobs like this one, who we can do without. I am very disappointed that there was no intervention from the Stewards,the whole thing was very obvious from the North Upper. What are we paying these Stewards for ?
  • Options
    Granpa said:

Every Club has got yobs like this one, who we can do without. I am very disappointed that there was no intervention from the Stewards,the whole thing was very obvious from the North Upper. What are we paying these Stewards for ?

I think most of the stewards are on minimum wage and are primarily there to direct people to their seats, be on hand if someone gets taken ill, etc. I don't think they're paid enough (or trained) to get involved in potential confrontations, although they should certainly be reporting incidents like this to someone more senior so that appropriate action can be taken, either at the time or retrospectively. Will be interesting to see whether the spitter is there tonight - one would hope that he's had his season ticket confiscated at some point between Saturday evening and tonight.
  • Options
    From people in the vicinity would be great to get some pics tonight. I suspect you will be looking for someone in a long orange wig or similar.
  • Options
    masicat said:

From people in the vicinity would be great to get some pics tonight. I suspect you will be looking for someone in a long orange wig or similar.

Nah @tangoflash is in the East stand 'A' Block :-0
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Curb_It said:

Dear me... who gets offended by the word pikey? My favourite word... flag me Chizz!!

It's a pejorative ethnic slur. And, like other ethnic slurs (which I won't put here), it's unnecessary and unpleasant. I think it's a bit odd that anyone would have, as a "favourite" word, one that offends. But, each to their own, I guess.

It's reserved for the scummier side of the gypsy population.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Chizz said:

Curb_It said:

Dear me... who gets offended by the word pikey? My favourite word... flag me Chizz!!

It's a pejorative ethnic slur. And, like other ethnic slurs (which I won't put here), it's unnecessary and unpleasant. I think it's a bit odd that anyone would have, as a "favourite" word, one that offends. But, each to their own, I guess.

That makes it even worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where were the tough guys from security or do they only appear in numbers when 14 year old away fans celebrate a goal???
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Curb_It said:

Take oaf
  • Options
    It has never been satisfactorily explained to me what is gained from using knowingly offensive words and behaviour, particularly on those occasions when it is specifically directed at an individual or a group with the intention to cause some level of distress. It takes a certain amount of skill and knowledge to be able to challenge a behaviour that you perceive to be offensive in a way that demands of the perpetrator to consider an alternative way of speaking and behaving.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Chizz said:

Dazzler21 said:

Chizz said:

Curb_It said:

Are you the Pope? ;o)

We used to have a saying 'sticks and stones etc' - remember that?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Dazzler21 said:

Chizz said:

Curb_It said:

Are you the Pope? ;o)

Are you saying that the use of racial slurs is ok? Perhaps because "it's only words"?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Dazzler21 said:

Chizz said:

Curb_It said:

Are you the Pope? ;o)

Are you saying that the use of racial slurs is ok? Perhaps because "it's only words"?
    Good grief man, are you suggesting we revert to sticks and stones?
    Hmm, might stop them nasty fans spitting at that nice Mr. Carson ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Imagine shouting out at the Valley - "Jackson you pikey"... You're a hero Chizz... handing out flags willy nilly fighting the good fight against evil.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Imagine shouting out at the Valley - "Jackson you pikey"... You're a hero Chizz... handing out flags willy nilly fighting the good fight against evil.

Find this bizarre considering a comment on another thread that got your 'blood boiling'. What is it that angered you over the lower class comment, but not the Pikey comment
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    What is the difference between pikey, trailer trash and chav ?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

What is the difference between pikey, trailer trash and chav ?

"Pikey" is racial epithet. "Trailer trash" and "chav" are merely pejorative descriptions. Very, very big difference.
  • Options
    Crikey, DaveMehmet's trigger happy today!
  • Options
    The point is this, some words are rude, some offensive and some are racial slurs. Rude words are ok (in fact, at football grounds I think there should be plenty of ruse words!); offensive words are ok (what's wrong with being merely offended?); but racial slurs are far from ok.