Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carson Incident

Comments

• Options

Scott Carson, who was understandably very upset, nevertheless asked for the culprit NOT to be banned. Generous gesture and respect to him for that.

fair play BUT the Club still need to trace the idiot, have a word and one more indiscretion means a ban. I'd even consider relocating him out of harms way.
    What did you have in mind @LargeAddick‌ East Stand 'F' block only 'A' block is full up :-)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Scott Carson, who was understandably very upset, nevertheless asked for the culprit NOT to be banned. Generous gesture and respect to him for that.

fair play BUT the Club still need to trace the idiot, have a word and one more indiscretion means a ban. I'd even consider relocating him out of harms way.
    What did you have in mind @LargeAddick‌ East Stand 'F' block only 'A' block is full up :-)
    The Den

• Options
    Carson got a good round of applause when he came out for 2nd half which he acknowledged then a turd gobs in his face!!! the guy should be outed. Surely its a form of assault ?
  • Options
    He certainly doesnt neede a second

He doesnt deserve another chance.

• Options
    RedChaser said:

How about the Barry Kitchener Stand?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

The point is this, some words are rude, some offensive and some are racial slurs. Rude words are ok (in fact, at football grounds I think there should be plenty of ruse words!); offensive words are ok (what's wrong with being merely offended?); but racial slurs are far from ok.

In your opinion.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Chizz said:

The point is this, some words are rude, some offensive and some are racial slurs. Rude words are ok (in fact, at football grounds I think there should be plenty of ruse words!); offensive words are ok (what's wrong with being merely offended?); but racial slurs are far from ok.

In your opinion.
    Yes, absolutely. My opinion is that, at football matches, "rude" words are ok. But racial slurs aren't. Anywhere.

• Options
    Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Chizz said:

In your opinion.
    Yes, absolutely. My opinion is that, at football matches, "rude" words are ok. But racial slurs aren't. Anywhere.

Well I find that offensive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Chizz said:

In your opinion.

Never mind!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Chizz said:

In your opinion.

Never mind!
    Ironic.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Not during the 2nd half;-)

Class from Carson, but I have to agree what is stopping this person doing it again this evening or later on in the season.

Still ban him.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Chizz said:

In your opinion.

Never mind!
    Ironic.
    No, not ironic. Totally consistent. I don't care if people get offended by "rude words" at football matches. But racial slurs and ethnic epithets are totally unacceptable.

• Options
    No the irony is that what offends you didn't offend another poster who you then took to task, and when I said what you wrote offend me, you said never mind!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

No the irony is that what offends you didn't offend another poster who you then took to task, and when I said what you wrote offend me, you said never mind!

Not really sure I fully understand the point you're trying to make. But, for the sake of clarity, my point is this: using racial slurs (like calling someone a pikey) is never - or at least should never be - acceptable. Would you agree with that?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Not really sure I fully understand the point you're trying to make. But, for the sake of clarity, my point is this: using racial slurs (like calling someone a pikey) is never - or at least should never be - acceptable. Would you agree with that?
    Racial slurs are totally unacceptable, IMO pikey as not a racial slur unless you are looking for it to be one. When I hear the term pikey I don't think of Gypsies, I think of someone who is a scummer or a chav etc.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Curb_It said:

What is the difference between pikey, trailer trash and chav ?

"Pikey" is racial epithet. "Trailer trash" and "chav" are merely pejorative descriptions. Very, very big difference.
    I like your "respect for others" outlook. That is cool

I think it's more complicated than your example. Words are words not stick and stones. I raise the question of the right to use language in context.

I know the words from Sidcup and the various Crays. Ive never seen as real Romany (is that PC?) person except in films, having never lived in the countryside.

To me it means generally rough/uncivilized behaviour and was exactly appropriate referring to spitting.

There is no racial connotation whatsoever. I bet thats true for a lot of people from South East London and Kent.

(with apologies to any one from Star Lane that I have now also offended)
  • Options

Respect him for taking that stance but hope he gets ignored and we ban the guy anyway.

No place for it in football.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Sorry to butt in on your discussion on what is, or isn't acceptable, to call people but I should be grateful for your views on the attached article in today's Standard.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/grand-canyon-of-rubbish-dumped-by-travellers-on-popular-croydon-playing-field-9677561.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Sorry to butt in on your discussion on what is, or isn't acceptable, to call people but I should be grateful for your views on the attached article in today's Standard.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/grand-canyon-of-rubbish-dumped-by-travellers-on-popular-croydon-playing-field-9677561.html
    Utterly disgusting. There's no need to leave a mess like that. Shameful.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Racial slurs are totally unacceptable, IMO pikey as not a racial slur unless you are looking for it to be one. When I hear the term pikey I don't think of Gypsies, I think of someone who is a scummer or a chav etc.
    OK, then we're not a million miles apart. If you think racial slurs are totally unacceptable, so do I. Maybe we just differ on whether "pikey" is one. I think it is; but I probably can't convince you.

• Options
    Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

OK, then we're not a million miles apart. If you think racial slurs are totally unacceptable, so do I. Maybe we just differ on whether "pikey" is one. I think it is; but I probably can't convince you.

Cos he's a pikey
  • Options
    Chizz why is it not acceptable to use the term 'Pikey' which is not deemed to be a racist slur by Collins dictionary.

Instead just derogatory slang.

I'd put it on par with offensive language. I find offensive language... Well offensive in day to day life.
    I find it unacceptable at football and especially unacceptable anywhere there are kids.

I find swearing to be more unacceptable than a term that even the dictionary holds on par with chav.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7446274.stm
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    As time evolves and people are educated further opinions change on words that are acceptable. I can think of plenty my parents and grandparents used and were probably unaware they were offensive. In 10 years time we will probably learn about other words/terms that are unacceptable and probably find it hard to understand why, as in our own minds it's ok.

I've thought about the word in question before as a bad word to use and wouldn't use it freely towards strangers (More to describe people as scummy rather than anything else) but this debate has made me reconsider using it at all.

• Options
    Pikey? Racist? Do me a favour.
    It's a life choice isn't it?
  • Options
    I think you're being a bit trigger happy with the flags there Chizz. Carly's making the same point others have made ie. to not see 'pikey' relative to 'race', rightly or wrongly, but I don't think that's abuse. I don't use the term myself, but I know one thing, I find the behaviour of the travellers in my area to be a far bigger problem than the words used to describe them.
  • Options
    I think you're being a bit trigger happy with the flags there Chizz. Carly's making the same point others have made ie. to not see 'pikey' relative to 'race', rightly or wrongly, but I don't think that's abuse. I don't use the term myself, but I know one thing, I find the behaviour of the travellers in my area to be a far bigger problem than the words used to describe them.