Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    Signed by Liverpool in 2015.  Doesn't feel that long ago!  Feel sorry for him -  saw him back at Charlton a couple of times so obviously still has a soft spot for Charlton.  Not been on the bench for LFC for ages.  Looking to me like his career is probably over after multiple knee issues and surgery.  Probably our best ever academy graduate.  Don't think we'll ever see any sell-on fee, if that was even possible.
  • Options
    If if memory serves me right(probably not) I thought it was reported that Chris Parkes managed to protect this part of the sell on clause from the crooks.Hope so 

Ably assisted by Marian Mihail as far as I’m aware. 
    It's weird, I still to this day have absolutely no idea if Marian was one of the crooks or not and never will, but I can't help but remember him fondly
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Signed by Liverpool in 2015.  Doesn't feel that long ago!  Feel sorry for him -  saw him back at Charlton a couple of times so obviously still has a soft spot for Charlton.  Not been on the bench for LFC for ages.  Looking to me like his career is probably over after multiple knee issues and surgery.  Probably our best ever academy graduate.  Don't think we'll ever see any sell-on fee, if that was even possible.
    He was linked with Aston Villa in January, or even Real Madrid so hopefully he can get a transfer over the summer and get his career back on track - Worst case I'm sure we've got space for an injury prone CB
  • Options
    Gomez is currently nowhere near good enough for Real Madrid, that's surely just bizarre agent talk.

Quite a few PL teams will be after a centre back in the summer though. Villa, Spurs, Newcastle, West Ham.
  • Options
    Think Gomez will either have a loan out or he'll go when his contract is up. 

Needs more consistent gametime and don't think he's good enough to get it at Liverpool (due to injuries).
  • Options
    Gomez is currently nowhere near good enough for Real Madrid, that's surely just bizarre agent talk.

Quite a few PL teams will be after a centre back in the summer though. Villa, Spurs, Newcastle, West Ham.
    Gomez can play anywhere across the back four, but if you were to ask me where he would excel in a back three - Klopp very rarely employs that system but Conte certainly does and I'm sure Gomez wouldn't be averse to a return to London too. Levy would be an idiot not to play the asking price which I would guesstimate at around a maximum of £30m.

But Levy has been proven to be an idiot at times - when Villa asked for £40m for Grealish, he eventually upped it to £25m. Worst case scenario would have been that Spurs would have made a minimum profit of £60m by selling him on to City.
  • Options

Errrrm Chris……Real Madrid are no longer the automatic benchmark go to club in Europe and they have enormous financial problems too.

• Options
    Great to see him have an excellent game today at RB. Played like he has played each game all season.
  • Options
    Another injury. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another injury. 
    Hope it’s an ankle tweak and not one of his knees again
  • Options
    Another injury. 
    Judging by the incident - not a foul by the way - I fear it’s a knee injury - the whole weight of the Saints player fell on him at precisely the wrong moment - I know from personal experience, that when you seriously injure a knee, it’s always ‘suspect’ and never the same - that said, my injury was late 1990’s, and I have no idea how medical treatment has advanced since then - mine was Medial Ligament damage - back in the day an ACL was career ending, now it’s not 

Hopefully Joe’s injury is just a knock 
  • Options
    Think it's just a knock. Can understand both club and player reasons to be cautious.
  • Options
    Looks like it was his left ankle. Think he will be alright. 

Nice pre assist for him.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Yes…..it’s an ankle injury.
    Hopefully just a sprain.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Another injury. 
    Judging by the incident - not a foul by the way - I fear it’s a knee injury - the whole weight of the Saints player fell on him at precisely the wrong moment - I know from personal experience, that when you seriously injure a knee, it’s always ‘suspect’ and never the same - that said, my injury was late 1990’s, and I have no idea how medical treatment has advanced since then - mine was Medial Ligament damage - back in the day an ACL was career ending, now it’s not 

Hopefully Joe’s injury is just a knock 
    I did mine when I was 21. Was told I could have an op but would not be able to play football again so I decided not to. I was in denial because I think not having the op also meant I should not play football again. I kept going for 10 years (hardly being able to walk the day after playing), then converted myself to a keeper. Stopped that when taking goalkicks was hurting too much.

I am paying for it now in my late fifties with constant pain in my knees (I did my right knee but my left knee seems to have gone out in sympathy) and harsh pain when I walk for too long. Running? You are having a laugh. More like a waddle! The thing is, I don't regret carrying on and the pain doesn't stop me doing anything yet. I even tried walking football prior to lockdown and am contemplating trying it again.

Back to Gomez. He was walking off the pitch which is a good sign as Liverpool wouldn't let him do that if it was serious.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Sadly I dont think we'll get to see Gomez reach his full potential which sounds bizarre for a player who has won every major club trophy going.
  • Options
    Whatever happens injury wise he needs to leave Liverpool.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I still think we'll see Gomez play for us again one day. Probably when he's 36 and we're languishing in L2 but I think it will happen 
  • Options
    Yes…..it’s an ankle injury.
    Hopefully just a sprain.

Fingers-crossed that’s all it is.

Joe has to be in that elite group of top quality Charlton graduates.
    Along with Scott Parker, Bowyer and  going further back, Mike Bailey and Billy Bonds.
    Sure I’ve missed some out, just my opinion, Richard Rufas was close.
    For me Joe was & still is number one.

• Options
    There will be different thoughts now he's got injured straight away again but I feel like Chelsea should look at him. They'll need to replace at least three first team CBs, Thiago Silva is 612 years old and Malang Sarr is not a good player. In Gomez they could have a ball playing CB comfortable in a 3 and capable of playing on either flank when needing to push wide. The fact that would probably cost a lot and we'd get a cut is also a pretty positive part of it
  • Options
    Oh ffs
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    How many years has he got left on his new contract?  :*