Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Changed shirt number from 12 to 2 and offered fans who have already bought next seasons Gomez 12 shirts to swop them for Gomez 2 shirts at his expense. Looks like he will be staying at Liverpool.
    Yes, he can afford it but that is still a classy thing to do.
    I doubt it was a huge expense!
  • Options
    That was an all-time bad performance from him last night. He looked concussed, reacted to everything late, turned like a tanker and was so easily taken off the ball. Really awful, like he was only half there.
  • Options
    Thought exactly that. Shame to see.
  • Options
    That was a might not play for Liverpool again performance.
    Very unlikely. Until last night he had pretty much been Liverpool's best player over the last 3 or 4 games. A poor 45 minutes doesn't define a career. It's not as if TAA,Van Dyke or Fabinho were having good games. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    Changed shirt number from 12 to 2 and offered fans who have already bought next seasons Gomez 12 shirts to swop them for Gomez 2 shirts at his expense. Looks like he will be staying at Liverpool.
    Yes, he can afford it but that is still a classy thing to do.
    I doubt it was a huge expense!
    Even if it was only one, he didn’t need to do it and it shows character to even offer.
  • Options
    That was an all-time bad performance from him last night. He looked concussed, reacted to everything late, turned like a tanker and was so easily taken off the ball. Really awful, like he was only half there.
    A bit like Mark Fish v Man City that time. 
  • Options
    Could have been MOM at the weekend . Has a bad game last night. Salah and Trent were also bloody awful. It happens 
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    MOM today (Sunday 16th Oct.) as Liverpool beat Man City.  Put in a great performance and back to his best at centre back.  Exciting game to watch.
    Good to hear. Would be superb if he had a decent couple of months as England desperately need a proper CB.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was brilliant today. Mind you he was only up against Haarland! :) 
  • Options
    Very good performance back at CB. Well done Joe. 
  • Options
    With a month until the world cup, if he plays really well could he be a dark horse for a squad place?
  • Options
    With a month until the world cup, if he plays really well could he be a dark horse for a squad place?
    I think he could be a dark horse for a starting place - a back to form Joe along with Stones (assuming his injury isn’t too bad) are the best England centre half pairing in my opinion.
  • Options
    Should have gone to Villa instead of signing a five year contract at Liverpool where he could have been playing, week in week out, in a relegation battle, for half the money but with a much better prospect of making the World Cup squad!!!
  • Options
    Should have gone to Villa instead of signing a five year contract at Liverpool where he could have been playing, week in week out, in a relegation battle, for half the money but with a much better prospect of making the World Cup squad!!!
    Keeps playing like that and he will be hard to dislodge at Liverpool. As he did in their title winning season when he was ahead of Matip. 
  • Options
    Superb today,mom haarland never got a sniff.definately a better bet than maguire.
  • Options
    redman said:
    Keeps playing like that and he will be hard to dislodge at Liverpool. As he did in their title winning season when he was ahead of Matip. 
    Indeed - I was being ironic as I suggested at the time he signed a new contract that he was doing exactly the right thing. Klopp and Liverpool would not have awarded him a five year contract if they didn't think he was capable of doing the job on a regular basis. The argument about his injuries apply whether he's at Liverpool or anywhere else - it's just he will get compensated more at Anfield.

Hopefully they are behind him anyway and he can kick on but I'm still not sure that Southgate rates him highly enough to put him in the squad which is ludicrous given that the bloke he has as his "main man" at CB wouldn't get in the starting line up at his club even if fit. One's a Rolls Royce and the other is a carthorse and the reason why Southgate has to play a back five and two in front protecting him. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Reckon Joe MIGHT make the provisional squad for the World Cup

Dont think he'll make the cut - With no warm up games, I dont think Southgate will deviate too much from the last set of Internationals that were called up last time around, albeit someone like Ben White instead of James.
  • Options
    He was superb today.  Perfect result really because Arsenal deserve to be top at present and City are not good enough at the back.  Ake and Akandji aren’t at that level yet - and Cancelo had a bit of a mare too

keeps the title exciting too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    He was superb today.  Perfect result really because Arsenal deserve to be top at present and City are not good enough at the back.  Ake and Akandji aren’t at that level yet - and Cancelo had a bit of a mare too

Ake and Akanji are their 4th and 5th choice centre backs aren't they, behind Stones, Dias and Laporte
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Swisdom said:

Ake and Akanji are their 4th and 5th choice centre backs aren't they, behind Stones, Dias and Laporte
    Yeah, must be horrible.
  • Options
    He got MOM and thoroughly deserved it,must be first name on Liverpools team sheet next game 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Swisdom said:

That’s as may be but they are expected to play at the moment and don’t seem up to it yet
  • Options
    I think, assuming he remains injury free, that he could well be on the plane to Qatar. Southgate likes to have the option of playing 3 at the back and JG is ideally suited as a RCB in a 3.

Arguably the best young player we’ve ever produced including Walsh, Elliott, Parker, Lee and Bowyer.
  • Options
    I think, assuming he remains injury free, that he could well be on the plane to Qatar. Southgate likes to have the option of playing 3 at the back and JG is ideally suited as a RCB in a 3.

Arguably the best young player we’ve ever produced including Walsh, Elliott, Parker, Lee and Bowyer.
    Would Jermaine Defoe get added to that list? 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Shame injuries - he could have been one of the greats
    Agreed though I suspect that because he's been around for so long we think he's older than he is. At 25 he still has the potential for one more World Cup and any number of medals if he can stay fit.
  • Options
    England "duty" has caused Joe some nasty injuries. *Steer clear*