Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    I’m more disappointed in his ambition to play in the World Cup. Would love to see him play week in week out before the World Cup and he could be in that squad. Stays as 4th choice and won’t be in a sniff to go to the World Cup 
    It would be great to play at a World Cup.  But he’ll have to console himself on £100k a week.  Every week. For another 4 years.

imagine that  
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I’m more disappointed in his ambition to play in the World Cup. Would love to see him play week in week out before the World Cup and he could be in that squad. Stays as 4th choice and won’t be in a sniff to go to the World Cup 
    It would be great to play at a World Cup.  But he’ll have to console himself on £100k a week.  Every week. For another 4 years.

imagine that  
    True I didn’t think about that, he might struggle with the cost of living on that 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

imagine that  
    But the choice wasn’t that or nothing. He could have got a decent contract elsewhere and played himself back into England contention. I agree with Red Chester, am disappointed. 
  • Options
    Maybe he will go on Loan now he has signed a contract 
  • Options
    Signing a contract doesn't always mean that you will stay.
  • Options
    At 25, he hasn't signed a new contract to be loaned out. He'll stay as they'll need him for RB cover too. 
  • Options
    I really dont get some fans begrudging a player who has made it to the very top from being with us to playing for a top team that wins trophies and gets into finals and is no doubt on silly money yet think he should leave all that just to try and get in a world cup squad and prove something to you
    yea ok😂

• Options
    I really dont get some fans begrudging a player who has made it to the very top from being with us to playing for a top team that wins trophies and gets into finals and is no doubt on silly money yet think he should leave all that just to try and get in a world cup squad and prove something to you
    yea ok😂

Personally, it would be nice to see the best player our academy has ever produced play regular football - no doubt he’d be in the England team if he did. 
  • Options
    yea ok😂

Who said anything about Gomez needing to prove himself to us as fans? Also can't see anyone begrudging him it. He did indeed make it to the top and win trophies but now he finds himself as 4th choice CB and back up RB. Even then they might try to integrate Ramsay a little. Don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a Charlton graduate to be playing in a World Cup. If Gomez had gone to a Villa/Newcastle and stayed fit I think he could have put himself in contention. By accepting back up at Pool that chance is likely to have gone. Liverpool aren't the best payers in the Prem, I don't think he's on silly silly money when you consider where he is in the pecking order. Doubt he'd have been on much less at either of the mentioned clubs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "But I'll still play Matip at CH & Joe wont dislodge Trent at RB". 

Hate to say it but Joe may be thinking more about his bank balance instead of his football.
  • Options
    "But I'll still play Matip at CH & Joe wont dislodge Trent at RB". 

Hate to say it but Joe may be thinking more about his bank balance instead of his football.
    Got Konate to think about now as well who showed last season signs of being a beast @ CB
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Don’t begrudge Joe in any way at all……..however, I am very disappointed.
  • Options
    At 25, he hasn't signed a new contract to be loaned out. He'll stay as they'll need him for RB cover too. 
    He can still be sold, but being on a long contract Liverpool can ask for more than if he was in his final year.
  • Options
    Last season he was still coming back after a long injury. If he has confidence in his ability why would he move to a lesser club like Villa or Newcastle? Remember Matip and Van Dyke are both past 30 which also may be in his thinking. England is a red herring. Southgate has, wrongly in my opinion, shown no interest in including him or giving him any encouragement. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Last season he was still coming back after a long injury. If he has confidence in his ability why would he move to a lesser club like Villa or Newcastle? Remember Matip and Van Dyke are both past 30 which also may be in his thinking. England is a red herring. Southgate has, wrongly in my opinion, shown no interest in including him or giving him any encouragement. 
    Agree. I think the most likely scenario is that Gomez backs himself to play his way back into the side if/when the opportunity arises. I think it would show more lack of ambition to leave Liverpool/Klopp to join a Villa or Newcastle tbh.

Obviously the sell on bonus would have been nice. Can buy a lot of Swindon Town players with that kind of money.

• Options
    Macronate said:
    So selfish.
    He's signed a new contract to increase his value, so that when Bayern buy him for £50m in January, we'll get an even bigger sell on bonus to go and spend in Wiltshire
  • Options
    He can still be sold, but being on a long contract Liverpool can ask for more than if he was in his final year.
    Possibly, be very shocked given the words of Gomez and Klopp though. It always made sense for Liverpool to keep him as he is a good, versatile player. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    He simply hasn't played enough to warrant an England spot. We don't know what Southgate has said to him in private (if anything of course). 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Swisdom said:

imagine that  
    But the choice wasn’t that or nothing. He could have got a decent contract elsewhere and played himself back into England contention. I agree with Red Chester, am disappointed. 
    I dont. He's had a couple bad injuries including 2 ACL's. He could well be one bad injury away from career over. He has to take certainty and a long contract and being financially set for life ahead of being first choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

imagine that  
    I dont. He's had a couple bad injuries including 2 ACL's. He could well be one bad injury away from career over. He has to take certainty and a long contract and being financially set for life ahead of being first choice.
    How much is he on? Will it have been substantially more than he could have got from Newcastle or Villa? 
  • Options
    Disappointed in him tbh. I get it, football is a short career and you need to make as much as possible in it, and Liverpool is a great club to be associated with. But, he's not going to play regularly for them unless they have severe injuries again, and given his track record one of those severe injuries will be him anyway. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Well, I for one am very happy for the lad. Been very unlucky with injuries. He’s at the highest level even if only a bit part player  and he now has complete financial security. Who knows, an injury to Matip, Virgil or Konate and he’s in the side. Exactly the sort of versatile player that should be in a World Cup squad. Good luck to you Joe. 
    With a 26 man World Cup squad, there is no need for versatility. In a 23, he might be useful but we'll be picking 3 RB's plus 4 CB's with the option of Walker and Rice at CB. Gomez will miss out. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Disappointed in him tbh. I get it, football is a short career and you need to make as much as possible in it, and Liverpool is a great club to be associated with. But, he's not going to play regularly for them unless they have severe injuries again, and given his track record one of those severe injuries will be him anyway. 
    You've rather given him a reason for staying haven't you? Why have a serious injury at a lesser club for half the money? And that might well have entered his mind too. Plus, he might actually feel that he owes Liverpool a bit of loyalty for looking after him when he's been injured. How would we feel if a decent player signed for someone else, following sustained periods out and turned down a contract with us?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    You've rather given him a reason for staying haven't you? Why have a serious injury at a lesser club for half the money? And that might well have entered his mind too. Plus, he might actually feel that he owes Liverpool a bit of loyalty for looking after him when he's been injured. How would we feel if a decent player signed for someone else, following sustained periods out and turned down a contract with us?
    How would it be half the money? What's he on at Liverpool?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    It might not be half the money but I'm happy to bet that it will be less than he's on at Liverpool. But even if it were the same, I go back to the point I made about winning things and loyalty to Liverpool.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    It might not be half the money but I'm happy to bet that it will be less than he's on at Liverpool. But even if it were the same, I go back to the point I made about winning things and loyalty to Liverpool.
    Which I understand and accept. I do appreciate Gomez may well back himself to force his way into the Liverpool team and I sincerely hope he does. 

Not sure I agree with those talking about the financial side though. Liverpool aren't normally as generous as the likes of City or Chelsea. Robertson's new deal was 'only' 100k a week. I believe Gomez was on around 75, surely no more than 80 with this new deal. So guesswork either way, but I think he could have earned a similar amount elsewhere. 
  • Options
    Yeah you're right @Addick Addict better to sit on Liverpool's bench and watch your teammates win trophies than play every week and earn a spot in the World Cup side, and possibly then earn a move back to a top 4 side that actually plays you week in week out and values you more.