Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    Will end up like Wilshere, great promise but never fulfilled because of injuries. 

Will stay at Liverpool for most of his career in that bit-part role. 
  • Options
    Just another player who walked out on us 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Yeah you're right @Addick Addict better to sit on Liverpool's bench and watch your teammates win trophies than play every week and earn a spot in the World Cup side, and possibly then earn a move back to a top 4 side that actually plays you week in week out and values you more. 
    Values you more?

Despite being injured for a lot of last season he made  21 appearances for them. And there's every chance, if he stays fit, he will play more games this season because if Liverpool didn't think that he was going to they wouldn't have offered him a five year contract to the the age of 30 would they? Or do you think they give those sort of contracts out like confetti? He's not a Lovren because if he were they would have sold him.

And you make it sound that all he has to do is to move to another club and he's guaranteed a World Cup place. That simply isn't the case especially if the side he goes to starts shipping goals in spite of his presence. He probably has a maximum of a dozen games to settle in, prove his worth and hope that the team performs too before the World Cup squad is announced. 

Rather than taking the view of a Charlton fan try putting yourself in Joe Gomez' shoes or even that of his father. And if you can honestly say that you would tell your son to go to somewhere like Villa because you might earn a World Cup place rather stay at a Club that wins the biggest trophies around, that looked after you when you were injured and you know will do so again should that happen, that will pay you more money, where you will continue to play under one of the best Managers in the world where you have every chance in that five year contract of breaking back in to the team in time for the next World Cup, then I'm just glad your not his father. 

Weird take to bring his father into this, but whatever, you've misconstrued my point, which is the fact that even when fit he is 4th choice centre back for Liverpool, based on the team sheets last season, and is therefore seemingly content with not playing week in week out in favour of picking up a fair old wedge watching his teammates picking up trophies. That to me shows a lack of ambition, and if it means he misses out on a world cup spot he doesn't have anyone to blame other than himself. Players in teams lower down the table still make it into England Squads regularly, because Southgate isn't blinkered to how well individuals perform, over what club they play at. 

I wish Gomez all the luck in the world and hope for his sake he's the first name on Liverpool's teamsheet week in week out, but I doubt that's going to be the case, whereas a spell at another "smaller" club would probably lead to him playing every game he's available for, which in turn would help him fulfill his potential
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    You talk like he decided to join Sheffield Wednesday instead one of the biggest clubs in the world.

We'll never compete with Liverpool
  • Options
    Signing a contract doesn't always mean that you will stay.
    At 25, he hasn't signed a new contract to be loaned out. He'll stay as they'll need him for RB cover too. 
    They've just signed a new right back.
  • Options
    I agree with others that him signing a new contract certainly doesn't mean he won't be sold, although of course it won't happen this year now.

He hasn't played a great deal due to injuries but who's to say that if he's fit this season and still doesn't play much then his mindset won't change next summer. He's signed a 5 year contract but I'd be very surprised if he's still there in 2-3.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    You talk like he decided to join Sheffield Wednesday instead one of the biggest clubs in the world.

January 2004 , yes kids we used to compete with Liverpool and now you get your hard ons from a point at Accrington Stanley or a free signing from Rochdale or improving to top ten in League One 
    Yeah because even then we'd be able to compete with them financially or in the transfer market

Had Scott Parker been wanted by Liverpool that season, no way would we have kept him

Back off to dreamland you go
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    I’m pleased Joes got some security given his luck with injuries and the fact his body keeps letting him down stopping achieving the huge potential we know he’s got.

Still he’s at one of the biggest clubs in Europe for the next 5 years, I will be surprised if if he completes the next 5 years at Liverpool, but all the best to Joe he seems like a nice lad, and to keep picking up injuries must mess with your head.

Might as well write off getting a sell on fee if it still exists from a Charlton perspective, can we still sell it and get a fee?
  • Options
    Personally, I can't help but tune into a Liverpool game when know Joe is starting.

He has a great bond with Klopp. He's had some nasty injuries, funnily enough mostly on International duty. That's without counting Sterling's unprovoked assault.
  • Options
    I think Joe with get a few games after the world cup is over, due to players at the world cup will be given extra time off. It will not be easy coming from 40 degree heat to 10 degrees in January bodies will need time to adjust.
  • Options
    Changed shirt number from 12 to 2 and offered fans who have already bought next seasons Gomez 12 shirts to swop them for Gomez 2 shirts at his expense. Looks like he will be staying at Liverpool.
  • Options
    Signing a contract doesn't always mean that you will stay.
    At 25, he hasn't signed a new contract to be loaned out. He'll stay as they'll need him for RB cover too. 
    They've just signed a new right back.
    Who is 18. Be surprised if Gomez still isn’t their back up RB with Ramsay getting the odd cup game 
  • Options
    Distinct lack of Joe Gomez shirts in the Anfield club shop this week. Either they've sold out or they didn't pre-print any. Pretty certain it's the latter.

I was there with Liverpool supporting Thais BTW! Shame I couldn't stay up north for today's game.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Yeah you're right @Addick Addict better to sit on Liverpool's bench and watch your teammates win trophies than play every week and earn a spot in the World Cup side, and possibly then earn a move back to a top 4 side that actually plays you week in week out and values you more. 
    Values you more?

Despite being injured for a lot of last season he made  21 appearances for them. And there's every chance, if he stays fit, he will play more games this season because if Liverpool didn't think that he was going to they wouldn't have offered him a five year contract to the the age of 30 would they? Or do you think they give those sort of contracts out like confetti? He's not a Lovren because if he were they would have sold him.

And you make it sound that all he has to do is to move to another club and he's guaranteed a World Cup place. That simply isn't the case especially if the side he goes to starts shipping goals in spite of his presence. He probably has a maximum of a dozen games to settle in, prove his worth and hope that the team performs too before the World Cup squad is announced. 

Rather than taking the view of a Charlton fan try putting yourself in Joe Gomez' shoes or even that of his father. And if you can honestly say that you would tell your son to go to somewhere like Villa because you might earn a World Cup place rather stay at a Club that wins the biggest trophies around, that looked after you when you were injured and you know will do so again should that happen, that will pay you more money, where you will continue to play under one of the best Managers in the world where you have every chance in that five year contract of breaking back in to the team in time for the next World Cup, then I'm just glad your not his father. 

Confirmation in the above article of how Klopp values Gomez and evidenced by the fact that he has played every single minute of Liverpool's last four PL games. Even if Gomez is rotated with Matip (who has been fit and on the bench for the last two matches), he is still in a much better position than playing, week in week out for a side like Villa who are just above the relegation zone. 

Harry Maguire, on the other hand, hasn't played a minute for United in the last three weeks and since they were thrashed 4-0 by Brentford. Perhaps the door is now opening for a WC place for Gomez.

Edit - Maguire comes on in the 80th minute today and gets booked before he's even touched the ball. That's 190 minutes of football this season and three yellow cards to his name.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a nightmare in Napoli - subbed at half time.
  • Options
    That may have been the worse Joe has every played in 45 minutes in his career.
    He also made another mistake that Van Dijk saved on the line as well as poor defending for the 3 goals.
  • Options
    That was a might not play for Liverpool again performance.
  • Options
    Pretty gutting to see how much the injuries have impacted his career. He’s gone from being one of the most promising young talents in English football to being Liverpool’s 4th or 5th best centre back. Signing the new long term contract was the best thing for his financial security but arguably the worst thing he could do for his career. 
  • Options
    Sadly there seem to be some pretty big problems at Liverpool at the moment and he probably should have moved on in the summer.  I really hope he gets back to his best because we desperately need defenders for the World Cup but he’s not exactly playing his way into the team 
  • Options
    He'll go on loan in January at this rate
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Swisdom said:
    Sadly there seem to be some pretty big problems at Liverpool at the moment and he probably should have moved on in the summer.  I really hope he gets back to his best because we desperately need defenders for the World Cup but he’s not exactly playing his way into the team 

The only problem for Liverpool is they have been so successful including getting to and winning two cup finals last season plus going the distance in the League every season with Man city that some games the players look like they didn't have a longer enough break in the summer.(they didn't) Won in the 99th minute recently against Villa and the 9-0 so I wish Cafc could have the problems Liverpool have !

Chelsea are having the same issue but Man city aren't because they have managed to ship out Sterling and get a proper number 9 who if he stays fit will break every record in the book in Premier League and Champions League.
    Haaland is just different class and with Kevin de Bruyne, Bernado Silva and Phil Foden feeding him, he will smash it.

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Values you more?

"you're"
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

January 2004 , yes kids we used to compete with Liverpool and now you get your hard ons from a point at Accrington Stanley or a free signing from Rochdale or improving to top ten in League One 
    Despite being fourth, we were probably as close to the last relegation spot as we were to first.