Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    If it was really about form Dan Burn would be in with a shout too. 
    Having a great season and plays both left back and centre back.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    you cant pick him on one good game against City.

Just go back a page or two and see comments after the Man Utd / Napoli games
    But he deserves the chance to be in a 26 man squad especially with James potentially out. See above re Maguire's form. It's all about confidence and Gomez has enough games between now and the World Cup to prove that it has returned. 
    Not sure he does yet, he's had one or two decent games all season. He needs to carry on this form before he even enters Southgate's thinking. Even with James out you'd expect Tripper and TAA to be the two right backs. It could well be White and Gomez fighting for one spot. 
    Who are these centre backs that are ahead of him though ?  
    Probably Stones, Maguire, Dier and then maybe Tomori and Coady 
    If that's the case then we have no chance because Maguire, Dier, Tomori and Coady aren't that good.
    Maguire has been very good for England and Tomori is doing well in Milan. Can't say I disagree about Dier or Coady. Our CB's in general aren't that good to be honest, we're behind at least 6/7 teams in that area. 
    Dier always seems to get slated but he must be doing something right to be a regular for a top 4/top 6 side for the past 7-8 seasons. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    MrOneLung said:

But he deserves the chance to be in a 26 man squad especially with James potentially out. See above re Maguire's form. It's all about confidence and Gomez has enough games between now and the World Cup to prove that it has returned. 
    Not sure he does yet, he's had one or two decent games all season. He needs to carry on this form before he even enters Southgate's thinking. Even with James out you'd expect Tripper and TAA to be the two right backs. It could well be White and Gomez fighting for one spot. 
    If that's the case then we have no chance because Maguire, Dier, Tomori and Coady aren't that good.
    Maguire has been very good for England and Tomori is doing well in Milan. Can't say I disagree about Dier or Coady. Our CB's in general aren't that good to be honest, we're behind at least 6/7 teams in that area. 
    Dier always seems to get slated but he must be doing something right to be a regular for a top 4/top 6 side for the past 7-8 seasons. 
    I don’t mind Dier but he’s not top class for me. Always has a mistake in him. I think CB is a bit of a weakness for us, he wouldn’t have been entering conversations in the past, I think it’s more how our quality has fallen than his form putting himself into contention. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    MrOneLung said:

I don’t mind Dier but he’s not top class for me. Always has a mistake in him. I think CB is a bit of a weakness for us, he wouldn’t have been entering conversations in the past, I think it’s more how our quality has fallen than his form putting himself into contention. 
    Not sure he makes many mistakes.. He is just 6-7 out of 10 every week. I wouldn't mind Dier starting alongside Stones, pretty solid pairing, bit of pace as well.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    MrOneLung said:

He's not top class in the bracket of Ferdinand or Terry or Campbell but the very fact he's a regular for Spurs and plays in Europe every season for me gives him the nod over someone like Coady or Guehi. I'd also feel far more confident with him playing than i would Maguire who a) isn't playing for his club and b) his confidence is shot to pieces.

It's just unfortunate that at a time when we've got so many good young attacking players (and right backs), we've got a real lack of quality centre backs.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    MrOneLung said:

He's not top class in the bracket of Ferdinand or Terry or Campbell but the very fact he's a regular for Spurs and plays in Europe every season for me gives him the nod over someone like Coady or Guehi. I'd also feel far more confident with him playing than i would Maguire who a) isn't playing for his club and b) his confidence is shot to pieces.

It's just unfortunate that at a time when we've got so many good young attacking players (and right backs), we've got a real lack of quality centre backs.
    Agreed, I’d definitely have him over Coady. Not a huge fan of Guehi from what I’ve seen, although he’s got plenty of time to develop. Not sure about Maguire, tough because he has generally been good for England. 
  • Options
    How did he play yesterday?
    only saw the foul that led to the free kick for Forest goal 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    How did he play yesterday?
    only saw the foul that led to the free kick for Forest goal 
    I thought he was pretty shaky
  • Options
    Oh dear... about Joe going to the World Cup...
  • Options
    Brilliant assist for Gomez. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    wmcf123 said:
    MrOneLung said:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    MrOneLung said:

Campbell would have got a lot more caps if he wasn’t black - so he says anyway 

Yeah, England only gave him 73 caps so clearly there was racism at play!

Mind you, Campbell probably also thinks he should've been Prime Minister too and it's all everyone else's fault that he wasn't!
  • Options
  • Options
    I hope Joe doesn't fancy a move over there. 

From a club perspective, is our sell-on fee a fixed percentage?
  • Options
    I may be wrong but I believe Joe’s agent was involved in Ahmed Kone’s move over to Qatar so there are presumably links already
  • Options
    I believe so too. Liverpool will be in a position of wanting to keep Joe, especially with VVD now suspended and a mini CB crisis at the club. He played very well against Newcastle.
  • Options
    Don’t understand why joe would go to Saudi. Still hasn’t really established himself 100% at Liverpool and would surely want to prove he’s a top prem defender. Otherwise he’d be wondering what if for the rest of his life. Plenty of time to make his millions in Saudi or the USA later on in his career
  • Options
    How much is the sell on for Joe and is it still in place?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don’t understand why joe would go to Saudi. Still hasn’t really established himself 100% at Liverpool and would surely want to prove he’s a top prem defender. Otherwise he’d be wondering what if for the rest of his life. Plenty of time to make his millions in Saudi or the USA later on in his career
    I think in the past 3 seasons he's proved he's not a top Prem defender if anything. Way too injury prone and made too many mistakes. People keep saying he needs to capitalise on the fact they have a defensive crisis, but the last times they've had these crisis' he's been one of the injured parties. I'd argue Konsa is a more established centre back than Gomez now, and would probably pick him for England ahead of Joe
  • Options
    He’s not for sale is Klopp speak for it’s gunna cost you.
  • Options
    Same reason everyone else is going there of course.

The thing with Gomez is you never know if he's a game away from another long term (and possibly career ending) injury. If he's offered silly money for 2-3 years he'd be mad not to take it.
  • Options
    Please don’t leave Liverpool Joe.
    The money will go to the shambles destroying our club.
  • Options
    I believe it is 20% and we have not cashed in on it yet.  I am sure other lifers will correct me if im wrong.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    I believe it is 20% and we have not cashed in on it yet.  I am sure other lifers will correct me if im wrong.
    Thanks.
  • Options

The thing with Gomez is you never know if he's a game away from another long term (and possibly career ending) injury. If he's offered silly money for 2-3 years he'd be mad not to take it.
    I thought he has just signed a 5 year contract with Liverpool 
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Last year yes, up to 2027, and he earns (i think) around 75-85k a week. 

But if Saudi offered him something silly like 250-300k a week for 3 years then he'd surely be off. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:

As with all such contracts, they are a two way street - they give the player the certainty of being at a top club for a number of years but also enable the club to demand more and ensure that there isn't a forced sale as in the case of Kane. We've been there ourselves albeit on a smaller scale with "frees" such as the likes of Grant and Taylor. Chelsea have adopted offering 8 year contracts to get around FFP but by the same token they don't have to worry about a player coming to the end of theirs. Although I'm sure that a Winston Bogarde type situation really would leave them with egg on their faces - he didn't make a single PL appearance in his final three seasons at the Club and surely wishes it had been half a dozen years instead!